MRJIFFY's Summer Meltdown Coin Sale

mrjiffy

Here comes the............Mr. Jiffy #39????

note: Dropped #39 on 7-13 in GPS Inventory:NC-I-77

Yes, it's true. Mr. Jiffy #39 is a wedding crasher. Sorry to have to report this. He was recently spotted at a charming wedding in Cochran, GA. #39 claims he was forced into this drastic action after discovering there was no cache at all to be had in the area. Middle Georgia Cachers please note and help out homeless geocoins.

We're traveling now, and having real trouble getting a picture uploaded to go with this post. Will keep trying.

Edited by jim&sal

I found coin # 2 when I was on vacation in Sweden. Didn't realize it was also a creative competition. But here are some picks I took:

Left you here in Sweden at this bridge "Den Gamla Hängbron"- GCWF0B at June 30 2008 to let you continue your journey:

a54f1009-bbd9-49ae-b4cf-750f57645278.jpg

dfb6e3c8-a3a9-47cb-b5fc-5458ed56addf.jpg

fa59401f-e81d-4465-8d64-f672a413b721.jpg

Me hiding in the shade of the bridge. Far too hot to get out of there:

4a076afc-7723-4d2c-91d2-efae91c7db21.jpg

Dutch greetings from Walking Spirit

(who's back in crowded Holland again :D )

Edited by walking spirit

Here are some of the coins found in the grand prize pool that have been collected so far. About 60 of them are from trade donations, and another 20 have been personally donated by me. Some more to still be added along with a full set of all the Summer Meltdown coin versions. 79 coins so far with some great LE and XLE coins as part of the grand prize pool. Sorry the pics are not the greatest, but it should give you a good idea of what is up for grabs!

MRJIFFY

<snip>

GrandPrizeSummerMeltdownCoinsPhotos.jpg

<snip>

Can anybody tell me the names of the first two coins in the fourth row of the second photo (the mouse and hand w/ GPS)?

Anyone?

Hi, yes I believe the mouse coin is cache agent, I think this was a special LE version of the coin. The other coin beside the mouse is a non trackable version that asks "Do you know the waypoints to San Jose" "A geocaching friendly town" On the back of this coin is a tribute to nano caches.

Hope that helps.

MRJIFFY

#34 was in my possession for a little bit, taken from GC1DWTR and placed in GC19FZ1

doesn't matter that the coin was placed somewhere else on exactly the 7th day afterwards.... does it?

here's my pic of it;

2dchb9g.jpg

EDIT: The piece of paper that came with this particular geocoin stated I had 7 days to move it to a different location - but this thread states I have 5 days - how does that work out? Am I still eligible for this cointest thing - or will I just have to deal with someone elses typo error. *grumble*

Edited by BigSteUK

Well it may have been hot the day Mr. Jiffy #12 was placed into action, but the day we found him was stormy indeed. Fortunately, he was eager to be discovered and made his presence obvious in the ominous cloud that hung overhead.

f68b9d90-6837-468a-8dfc-6c553472ef5a.jpg

The team huddled close as the rain fell and celebrated the find before stashing #12 in a dry spot for the ride home.

d9275925-2883-4e0f-b60c-71fc8a9ffe62.jpg

Mr. Jiffy was eager to return the climate to SUMMER MELTDOWN status and when the temps rose suggested a quick trip to the local Bahama Bucks Shaved Ice for a refreshing bit of summer and dove right in to try each and every one.

First he tried Doug's, but it was too hard...

82b71f51-6684-4608-a76d-4c0d6d767bd1.jpg

Then he tried Patti's, but it was too soft...

5c5b4d00-276d-443a-8ebd-f6b45da4625e.jpg

Finally he tried Sharon's and it was just right!

b6848c5d-34e7-47cc-896f-e57a47b1d1bc.jpg

With his Summer Meltdown needs met, it was time for Mr. Jiffy to find a new cache to hang out in and wait for his adventure to continue. Team Wagner began making plans for a weekend caching adventure to send Mr. Jiffy on his way, pleased with the time they shared in the adventure... more to follow when placement is complete...

#34 was in my possession for a little bit, taken from GC1DWTR and placed in GC19FZ1

doesn't matter that the coin was placed somewhere else on exactly the 7th day afterwards.... does it?

here's my pic of it;

2dchb9g.jpg

EDIT: The piece of paper that came with this particular geocoin stated I had 7 days to move it to a different location - but this thread states I have 5 days - how does that work out? Am I still eligible for this cointest thing - or will I just have to deal with someone elses typo error. *grumble*

Not sure where you saw the five days, it is seven days. Thanks for moving the coins, but I am going to have to stick to the seven day rule for the random post selection, although I might be willing to overlook this for the creative photo component.

Best Regards,

MRJIFFY

Winners for Last Week Announcement!

Lots of great pictures this week, so thought I would add some additional prize coins to the drawings to give everyone a better chance of winning. I generated two random numbers from posts 112-143, and the two winning post numbers were #130 and #142, congratulations to Condoqueen & Leedr and DaFunkyFrogs on being the winners of the random number draw for last week. I also chose two creative photo winners this week which are posts #124 because those ribs looked very tasty and post #112 as I thought the scenery was beautiful. Congratulations Steinwälzer and mraycii. If each of the four winners can please send me their mailing addresses through my profile, I will get your prize coins out to you ASAP. Each of the four winners will receive one of the MRJIFFY’s Summer Meltdown coins minted in frosty gold, only available to be won through this cointest. Only 30 of this coin in this version were minted.

Congratulations t o the winners!

MRJIFFY

MrJiffy #4 made a trip through Iowa from down in Missouri. Upon his arrival I took MrJiffy shopping for some swim shorts because he told me he really needed to work on his tan and wanted to go for a swim. After a stop at Kohls Mr Jiffy had his swimming trunks on and was ready for nice day hanging out at the pool.

Here is MrJiffy #4 with his new shorts on with a cold glass of iced tea in his hand. It was a great day! <_<

picture005fs3.jpg

Edited by jbhodj & Drake

Well it may have been hot the day Mr. Jiffy #12 was placed into action here in North Texas, but the day we found him was stormy indeed. Fortunately, he was eager to be discovered and made his presence obvious in the ominous cloud that hung overhead.

f68b9d90-6837-468a-8dfc-6c553472ef5a.jpg

The team huddled close as the rain fell and celebrated the find before stashing #12 in a dry spot for the ride home.

d9275925-2883-4e0f-b60c-71fc8a9ffe62.jpg

Mr. Jiffy was eager to return the climate to SUMMER MELTDOWN status and when the temps rose suggested a quick trip to the local Bahama Bucks Shaved Ice for a refreshing bit of summer and dove right in to try each and every one.

First he tried Doug's, but it was too hard...

82b71f51-6684-4608-a76d-4c0d6d767bd1.jpg

Then he tried Patti's, but it was too soft...

5c5b4d00-276d-443a-8ebd-f6b45da4625e.jpg

Finally he tried Sharon's and it was just right!

b6848c5d-34e7-47cc-896f-e57a47b1d1bc.jpg

With his Summer Meltdown needs met, it was time for Mr. Jiffy to find a new cache to hang out in and wait for his adventure to continue. Team Wagner began making plans for a weekend caching adventure to send Mr. Jiffy on his way, pleased with the time they shared in the adventure... Saturday morning, the team rose early and dropped #12 off in "First Aid" one of 10 in a series of caches located in Grapevine Texas. Best Wishes #12 on your journey.

69e4985d-ec91-44fd-ab78-120b8e43a15f.jpg

Thanks Mr. Jiffy for putting together this "cointest" and making the dog days of summer here in Texas feel a bit cooler!

WOOHOO! I was lucky enough to find two Mr. Jiffy Summer Meltdown coins! I was crazy enough to walk 3 miles in 92 degree heat to retrieve these! I have now placed them in my School Supply cache for the next lucky finder. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Here is #13

MrJiffy13.jpg

And here is #14

MrJiffy14.jpg

Edited by Ms. Froggy

2XNuke%20summer%20meltdown%201.JPG

Mr. XNuke with Summer meltdown coin #18 at hole !8 near the cache we placed it in, Frolfing.

2XNuke%20summer%20meltdown%202.JPG

Closer view of the coin.

This was a fun coin to find. We placed it the same day we found it in a cache across town from where we found it. Actully we had it for so short of a time that we forgot to write down the code and had to go back to the cache we left it in to get it. :rolleyes: I'm just glad no one came along in the meantime and took it.

We both spent quite a bit of time admiring this coin. Thanks for running this cointest!

Today a giggle of OVC members and some other geocachers gathered in Ojai to help me find by 2,000 cache. Two of the prolific hiders in the area, BadFeet and MommyX4 had combined to hide the cache using some of the more interesting techniques found in the area.

As I opened the cache, coins and TBs started appearing from everyone there. This is the one that caught my fancy...having no idea a contest was involved...so I took it from the cache.

Now that I am logging it, I see that there is a chance for a free coin, so here's my picture; that's my story on #32

Thanks for the fun and the find; and thank goodness for a random drawing.

GSMx2

c15d6fcb-916f-4c41-ba01-ea73fc545b45.jpg

Today a giggle of OVC members and some other geocachers gathered in Ojai to help me find by 2,000 cache. Two of the prolific hiders in the area, BadFeet and MommyX4 had combined to hide the cache using some of the more interesting techniques found in the area.

As I opened the cache, coins and TBs started appearing from everyone there. This is the one that caught my fancy...having no idea a contest was involved...so I took it from the cache.

Now that I am logging it, I see that there is a chance for a free coin, so here's my picture; that's my story on #32

Thanks for the fun and the find; and thank goodness for a random drawing.

GSMx2

c15d6fcb-916f-4c41-ba01-ea73fc545b45.jpg

Picked up number #30 on a cool day of walking around the Hobart waterfront. Currently on my last stretch to hit 100 finds, and I'd had a DNF this cache on a rainy evening a week or so previous. I couldn't let this cache go, and made this my last stop for the day. The sun had held out for most of the day, but now the drizzle was rolling in...

b4bc2b9c-5450-43a4-beb4-fdcd68a12b0f.jpg

The resolve held, and I hit this cache before I got too wet... and the darn thing was right in front of me all along! Don't know how I missed it...

16e495fa-0b8e-4dc1-8aa7-26d10d660dbd.jpg

Sun and rainbows in the middle of winter? What a day! ;)

Cheers,

Shirtybird

We placed the coin in GC1D120-400 Southbound-What's that doin' here!

Not too familiar on how to upload the pic so we placed it on the cache page that we dropped the coin at.

Cool contest!

Cheers,

ddc4e4b4-f95b-41d0-8612-9240f5a8d10c.jpg

<photo inserted for Jake's Goldilocks by moderator, and cache ID edited to correct (both IDs were for caches placed by the same cacher, but I had to look for it by name :anitongue: ) >

Edited by Eartha

Not too many Summer Meltdowns made their way to California where Wildfires have been making this summer Sizzling Hot. Locally we made the national news with the Gap Fire.

So I'd been watching #5 & #6 hoping to track their progress. But whoddathunkit that it was one of the coins bound for Washington State that found it's way down here... #32 it was. I jumped on the bike and rode 30 miles to grab it out of a dock box on a slip in Ventura Harbour (remember the old Beach Boys song about the Ventura Highway? Well this is where they were headed!!)

Anyway the pic I'm posting has to do with kissing any old toad in the hope of winning a contest! And I had to do it TWICE 'coz you can't see the coin in the first pic.!!

GapFiresunset.jpg Sunset

GapFirebombing.jpg Too close for comfort.

Jiffyme2.jpgClose up of kiss

Jiffyme.jpg #32

Thanks for the fun.

Edited by Droo

Hmm, very interesting as I know nothing about the flyers! I guess we'll maybe find out what they are as things progress! Maybe you can post a photo?

MRJIFFY

I hear to report that I got a very peculiar item in my mailbox today . . . a "Wanted Mr. Jiffy" flyer. Strange, very strange ( especially since it came through the mail without a postmark :D - Very strange indeed :D )

Edited by mrjiffy

First of all, this is a very cool contest. Thanks to MRJIFFY for organizing this. :D

I got a hold of coin 49 about a week ago. I wanted to find the perfect place to drop it, so after some thought, I decided that a short drive into the country side would be good.

There is a cache hidden near a Memorial dedicated to Canadian Soldiers from WW2. It's a rock near a country intersection that I thought would be a good location. On the rock there is a plaque that tells us of the hardships our soldiers had to endure and the strength and bravery that was demonstrated by Canadians. The location of the cache is near an old training ground that was used during WW2. Unfortunatly, after about 45 mintues searching, I was unable to locate the cache. :D

I then decided to place the coin in a location that has higher traffic so that more people would have access to it. I dropped it in Season's Greetings, which is located in a busy park. I hope the next person that finds it has fun searching for a new temporary home for it and maybe learns something new and inspiring along the way.

Now the sad part, I took pictures of the coin and the Memorial on my cell phone. When I went to download them, I discovered that my SD card was corrupted :D and I lost all the pictures. I will not be posting any pictures, but I wanted to share this story.

Thanks again for contest and the adventure. :D

Thanks very much for taking the time to share this great story, very sorry to hear about the memory card troubles! Hopefully one of the other travelling coins will make its way nearby to you and you will have the opportunity to post another photo sometime during the remaining time of the cointest!

Best Regards,

MRJIFFY

First of all, this is a very cool contest. Thanks to MRJIFFY for organizing this. :)

I got a hold of coin 49 about a week ago. I wanted to find the perfect place to drop it, so after some thought, I decided that a short drive into the country side would be good.

There is a cache hidden near a Memorial dedicated to Canadian Soldiers from WW2. It's a rock near a country intersection that I thought would be a good location. On the rock there is a plaque that tells us of the hardships our soldiers had to endure and the strength and bravery that was demonstrated by Canadians. The location of the cache is near an old training ground that was used during WW2. Unfortunatly, after about 45 mintues searching, I was unable to locate the cache. :laughing:

I then decided to place the coin in a location that has higher traffic so that more people would have access to it. I dropped it in Season's Greetings, which is located in a busy park. I hope the next person that finds it has fun searching for a new temporary home for it and maybe learns something new and inspiring along the way.

Now the sad part, I took pictures of the coin and the Memorial on my cell phone. When I went to download them, I discovered that my SD card was corrupted :) and I lost all the pictures. I will not be posting any pictures, but I wanted to share this story.

Thanks again for contest and the adventure. :)

Team Hebi continued their adventures with the Mr. Jiffy's Summer Meltdown Geocoin. After discovering # 47 and releasing its summer meltdown power and restoring summer to the Great Canadian Northland, we quickly learned its "Power of Summer" diminishes after releasing the coin back to the Wilds. We realized another Mr. Jiffy's Geocoin had to be found immediately to continue this great summer season. As our video equipment succumbed to the Canadian freezing winter conditions and wouldn't function, we have only our memory and this original Team Hebi graphic (all rights reserved) of our adventures to secure another Coin. Number 48 was in strking distance.

geocachingfinalish.png

Finding another Geocoin (Number 48) allowed us to continue our summer adventures, which we have now set free in the "Great Canadian Goecache" (GC 1E261).

IMG00093.jpg

We will be keeping our eyes "peeled" for more Geocoins incase their "Power of Summer" is still needed!

<Moderator edit: Scroll down for the cointest rules>

Hi,

Thought I would provide everyone with a sneak preview of a coin that will be used in a massive cointest I will be running this upcoming summer (June 21st to Sept. 21st, 2008) for all to participate in. I won’t go in to details yet, but there will be weekly prizes of special versions of this particular coin only available as prizes along with a grand prize of over 100 different non activated geocoins at the end of the summer! The cointest will involve finding and moving one of 50 special versions MRJIFFY’s Summer Meltdown 2008 coins that will be released in to the wilds of the geocaching world starting June 21st, 2008. To be eligible to participate in the cointest, you will need to find, log and take a photo with one of the traveling coins and post it in a yet to be established forum thread for the cointest, and then replace the coin back in to another cache within 5 days of initial retrieval. I have gotten the ok several months ago from Groundspeak to run the cointest and will be posting a new cointest thread with full rules as we get closer to the start date of the cointest.

To help build the grand prize of geocoins I am offering an Antique Copper trade only version(planned minting of 40)of this geocoin currently in the geocoin trading forum post #11122. The picture below is the coin version I will be selling to help recoup some of my costs for running the cointest (I estimate it will be around $600 out of pocket for me to run the cointest, even with the coin sales, not including postage costs) The sale version of the coin is currently slated for only 90 coins. I am not taking reservations yet, but will be posting the coin for sale under this thread once I have the coins in hand. I am expecting samples of the coins shortly from Landsharkz. Total minting of this coin is anticipated to be 250 for all versions. The coin is 1.75 in diameter and 3mm thick and finished in hard imitation enamel. The design is the work of Chris Mackey and I think that the finished design looks great. Looking forward to feedback and would certainly appreciate any support in regards to the trader version of this coin to build the grand prize. I am personally donating 20 different unactivated geocoins to the grand prize pool to get things started. Looking forward to everyone's feedback!

Best Regards,

MRJIFFY

Production_colours_1.jpg

<This is the official start of the MRJIFFY’s Summer Meltdown Cointest running from June 21st to Sept. 21st, 2008. I have cleared the structure and design of this cointest many months ago with Groundspeak and have received their approval to run this cointest. The cointest is being run solely by me and Groundspeak is in no way administering this cointest in any way. All the coins in this cointest are trackable at geocaching.com

The Rules and structure of the cointest is pretty simple (at least I’ll try and keep it that way). Over the next couple of weeks, there will be 50 Polished Nickel MRJIFFY Summer Meltdown coins released in various geographies of the world by participating geocachers including myself. To participate in the cointest you need to do a few things, these are:

1. Find and log one of the travelling Polished Nickel MRJIFFY Summer Meltdown coins. Only the polished nickel Summer Meltdown coins will count toward this cointest.

2. Take a photo of yourself with the coin. This can be done alone, in a group or whatever format you decide upon. Creativity counts here and I will get in to this further in to this post

3. Post the photo under this thread, along with any stories you might want to add related to either the photo or finding the coin. In the post, you must also include the two digit number that I have written on the piece of paper accompanying the coin and stored inside the vinyl flip. Please ensure the engraved tracking number of the coin cannot be read in your photo.

4. You must replace the coin in to another cache within 7 days of retrieving the coin to provide another opportunity for another geocacher to retrieve the coin. I am relying on the honesty of those participating to not just log a deposit and then give the coin directly to another geocacher(i.e. their friend), let the next geocacher actually “find” the coin in a cache.

5. You must retrieve the coin from a cache, discovering the coin at an event does not count towards this cointest, although you could retrieve the coin from a cache and post a photo with the coin at a separate event to use as your photo submission, as long as the coin is replaced in another cache within the 7 day limit described earlier. If you are the one who retrieves the coin from the event after it is completed, I would consider that ok to post a photo as an entry as long as you deposit it back in to another cache within 7 days of the event end. I would consider only one geocacher able to retrieve the coin from an event, not a group

6. You must post a photo with the coin and accompanying description to participate in this cointest, simply logging the coin does not count as an entry.

7. Each geocacher can only log each unique coin once for the purposes of the cointest, i.e. if you find coin #31, you can only post one entry for coin #31, even if you find the same coin in the future in a different cache. If you find another coin however, i.e. coin #45 you can create a new entry with this new find of coin #45.

8. For each week of the cointest, I plan on awarding two prizes to participants; the first prize will be determined by a random number generator using that weeks postings that meet the above criteria and the second prize determined by what photo/story I find the most worthy of an award for that week. For the purposes of the cointest, each week will run from approximately Monday through to Sunday evening, with the next week starting on Monday. Prizes will be either a LE Foggy Gold Summer Meltdown Coin available only as a prize (30 minted) or one of my organizers Summer Meltdown coins (40 minted) Winners will be announced for the last week at the start of each week in this thread.

9. At the end of the cointest period, I will select a winner from all the valid posts made during the cointest period for a grand prize of approximately 100 different geocoins. I will do this using a random number generator so everyone who participates in the cointest has the opportunity to win. If a group of geocachers finds the coin, the geocacher who makes the posting will be the one who is eligible to win any prizing. I will post at a later time additional details on the 100 coins, there are some very good coins included as part of this grouping!

10. All decisions made by me regarding prizing, eligibility of entries and the start and stop times of each respective week are final and non negotiable. I want this cointest to be fun, so let’s all keep it that way please.

Coins should start appearing on June 21st, 2008 and continue to start their journeys throughout many parts of the world over the next 2-3 weeks. They can be found and watched on my profile as I will be the owner of all 50 travelling coins.

Good luck to everyone, hope this is as fun as I anticipate it will be! Photos of the Silver coin are below.

MRJIFFY smile.gif>

<Cointest rules added by moderator>

Sounds like a blast, can't wait!

Hmm, very interesting as I know nothing about the flyers! I guess we'll maybe find out what they are as things progress! Maybe you can post a photo?

MRJIFFY

I hear to report that I got a very peculiar item in my mailbox today . . . a "Wanted Mr. Jiffy" flyer. Strange, very strange ( especially since it came through the mail without a postmark :) - Very strange indeed :) )

MrJiffy004.jpg

You'll note that the corner says "FBI" . . . (Fat Butts Incorporated? - That's what we called it when I was a kid :laughing: )