MRJIFFY's Summer Meltdown Coin Sale

mrjiffy

<Moderator edit: Scroll down for the cointest rules>

Hi,

Thought I would provide everyone with a sneak preview of a coin that will be used in a massive cointest I will be running this upcoming summer (June 21st to Sept. 21st, 2008) for all to participate in. I won’t go in to details yet, but there will be weekly prizes of special versions of this particular coin only available as prizes along with a grand prize of over 100 different non activated geocoins at the end of the summer! The cointest will involve finding and moving one of 50 special versions MRJIFFY’s Summer Meltdown 2008 coins that will be released in to the wilds of the geocaching world starting June 21st, 2008. To be eligible to participate in the cointest, you will need to find, log and take a photo with one of the traveling coins and post it in a yet to be established forum thread for the cointest, and then replace the coin back in to another cache within 5 days of initial retrieval. I have gotten the ok several months ago from Groundspeak to run the cointest and will be posting a new cointest thread with full rules as we get closer to the start date of the cointest.

To help build the grand prize of geocoins I am offering an Antique Copper trade only version(planned minting of 40)of this geocoin currently in the geocoin trading forum post #11122. The picture below is the coin version I will be selling to help recoup some of my costs for running the cointest (I estimate it will be around $600 out of pocket for me to run the cointest, even with the coin sales, not including postage costs) The sale version of the coin is currently slated for only 90 coins. I am not taking reservations yet, but will be posting the coin for sale under this thread once I have the coins in hand. I am expecting samples of the coins shortly from Landsharkz. Total minting of this coin is anticipated to be 250 for all versions. The coin is 1.75 in diameter and 3mm thick and finished in hard imitation enamel. The design is the work of Chris Mackey and I think that the finished design looks great. Looking forward to feedback and would certainly appreciate any support in regards to the trader version of this coin to build the grand prize. I am personally donating 20 different unactivated geocoins to the grand prize pool to get things started. Looking forward to everyone's feedback!

Best Regards,

MRJIFFY

Production_colours_1.jpg

<This is the official start of the MRJIFFY’s Summer Meltdown Cointest running from June 21st to Sept. 21st, 2008. I have cleared the structure and design of this cointest many months ago with Groundspeak and have received their approval to run this cointest. The cointest is being run solely by me and Groundspeak is in no way administering this cointest in any way. All the coins in this cointest are trackable at geocaching.com

The Rules and structure of the cointest is pretty simple (at least I’ll try and keep it that way). Over the next couple of weeks, there will be 50 Polished Nickel MRJIFFY Summer Meltdown coins released in various geographies of the world by participating geocachers including myself. To participate in the cointest you need to do a few things, these are:

1. Find and log one of the travelling Polished Nickel MRJIFFY Summer Meltdown coins. Only the polished nickel Summer Meltdown coins will count toward this cointest.

2. Take a photo of yourself with the coin. This can be done alone, in a group or whatever format you decide upon. Creativity counts here and I will get in to this further in to this post

3. Post the photo under this thread, along with any stories you might want to add related to either the photo or finding the coin. In the post, you must also include the two digit number that I have written on the piece of paper accompanying the coin and stored inside the vinyl flip. Please ensure the engraved tracking number of the coin cannot be read in your photo.

4. You must replace the coin in to another cache within 7 days of retrieving the coin to provide another opportunity for another geocacher to retrieve the coin. I am relying on the honesty of those participating to not just log a deposit and then give the coin directly to another geocacher(i.e. their friend), let the next geocacher actually “find” the coin in a cache.

5. You must retrieve the coin from a cache, discovering the coin at an event does not count towards this cointest, although you could retrieve the coin from a cache and post a photo with the coin at a separate event to use as your photo submission, as long as the coin is replaced in another cache within the 7 day limit described earlier. If you are the one who retrieves the coin from the event after it is completed, I would consider that ok to post a photo as an entry as long as you deposit it back in to another cache within 7 days of the event end. I would consider only one geocacher able to retrieve the coin from an event, not a group

6. You must post a photo with the coin and accompanying description to participate in this cointest, simply logging the coin does not count as an entry.

7. Each geocacher can only log each unique coin once for the purposes of the cointest, i.e. if you find coin #31, you can only post one entry for coin #31, even if you find the same coin in the future in a different cache. If you find another coin however, i.e. coin #45 you can create a new entry with this new find of coin #45.

8. For each week of the cointest, I plan on awarding two prizes to participants; the first prize will be determined by a random number generator using that weeks postings that meet the above criteria and the second prize determined by what photo/story I find the most worthy of an award for that week. For the purposes of the cointest, each week will run from approximately Monday through to Sunday evening, with the next week starting on Monday. Prizes will be either a LE Foggy Gold Summer Meltdown Coin available only as a prize (30 minted) or one of my organizers Summer Meltdown coins (40 minted) Winners will be announced for the last week at the start of each week in this thread.

9. At the end of the cointest period, I will select a winner from all the valid posts made during the cointest period for a grand prize of approximately 100 different geocoins. I will do this using a random number generator so everyone who participates in the cointest has the opportunity to win. If a group of geocachers finds the coin, the geocacher who makes the posting will be the one who is eligible to win any prizing. I will post at a later time additional details on the 100 coins, there are some very good coins included as part of this grouping!

10. All decisions made by me regarding prizing, eligibility of entries and the start and stop times of each respective week are final and non negotiable. I want this cointest to be fun, so let’s all keep it that way please.

Coins should start appearing on June 21st, 2008 and continue to start their journeys throughout many parts of the world over the next 2-3 weeks. They can be found and watched on my profile as I will be the owner of all 50 travelling coins.

Good luck to everyone, hope this is as fun as I anticipate it will be! Photos of the Silver coin are below.

MRJIFFY smile.gif>

<Cointest rules added by moderator>

Edited by Eartha

Great looking coin. Will this be a worldwide cointest, or limited to certain continents.

We would love to see one downunder for the opportunity to move on.... Even though you have chosen our winter time...

Well done on a great coin.

Hi,

This will be open to wherever the coins travel to around the globe. My plan is to have about 70% of the coins released in North America and about 30% in other geographies, where they travel to at that point we will have to see. I am also planning on having a couple of special prize weeks for coins that travel the furthest during that week to encourage movement.

Should be fun and I will be reaching out to other geocachers soon to help arrange the initial drops in numerous geographies.

Thanks for the interest!

MRJIFFY

Would love to trade a coin for the pot, also. I don't have a personal coin, but I do have several. could send you a list and let you choose, if you want to.

Don't forget to put me down for a trader! I'll be happy to donate something special for the grand prize :ph34r:

Emails sent.

Best Regards,

MRJIFFY

Would love to trade a coin for the pot, also. I don't have a personal coin, but I do have several. could send you a list and let you choose, if you want to.

Don't forget to put me down for a trader! I'll be happy to donate something special for the grand prize :(

Emails sent.

Best Regards,

MRJIFFY

Glad to be involved in this fun event. Coins were sent out to you today, :ph34r:

Hi, an update for everyone. The coins are finally in final production and should be in my hands in the first few days in June. The sale post for the Black Nickel version of the coins will be posted in this thread shortly after. The cointest thread will be under a separate thread starting a couple of days hopefully prior to the June 21st start date of the cointest. I had 40 traders that I had committed to trades, but only 19 of the traders have sent in their coins so far. If you had committed to a trade for the copper trader only version of the coins, please send your coins in ASAP otherwise I will need to seek out other geocachers to trade with. I have posted a photo of the BN version of the coin so you can get a look at it.

Best Regards,

MRJIFFY

BNSummerMeltdownFront.jpg

BNSummerMeltdownBack.jpg

Hi, an update for everyone. The coins are finally in final production and should be in my hands in the first few days in June. The sale post for the Black Nickel version of the coins will be posted in this thread shortly after. The cointest thread will be under a separate thread starting a couple of days hopefully prior to the June 21st start date of the cointest. I had 40 traders that I had committed to trades, but only 19 of the traders have sent in their coins so far. If you had committed to a trade for the copper trader only version of the coins, please send your coins in ASAP otherwise I will need to seek out other geocachers to trade with. I have posted a photo of the BN version of the coin so you can get a look at it.

Best Regards,

MRJIFFY

BNSummerMeltdownBack.jpg

Did you receive mine?

Best Regards,

MRJIFFY

BNSummerMeltdownBack.jpg

Hi,

Yes I did receive your coins with no problem. They have been added to the grand prize pool with the others I have received.

Best Regards,

Jason aka MRJIFFY

Edited by mrjiffy

Did you receive mine?

Best Regards,

MRJIFFY

BNSummerMeltdownBack.jpg

Hi,

Yes I did receive yours, thanks for checking.

MRJIFFY

Did you receive mine?

Best Regards,

MRJIFFY

BNSummerMeltdownBack.jpg

It's coming soon Moop. Apologies for the small delay, the mint has taken a bit longer than expected to finish the run, but we are on the home stretch now!

Best Regards,

MRJIFFY

This old copper beauty should look nice. I'm excited to see it.

It's coming soon Moop. Apologies for the small delay, the mint has taken a bit longer than expected to finish the run, but we are on the home stretch now!

Best Regards,

MRJIFFY

This old copper beauty should look nice. I'm excited to see it.

Do we have an update on these?

Jason is away for a few days this week. I think he'll be back tomorrow. I hope you don't mind me updating during his absence.

Yes, there were gross delays at the mint and he is quite frustrated, as are we. When someone is trying to do something really wonderful like this, (and we started with lots of lead time), it's really quite atrocious when we can't deliver on schedule. We thought the delays were history after GW, but some seem to have lingered.

The good news is that these wonderful Summer Meltdown coins have finally shipped from Hong Kong and were probably there at his door the day he left town.

Helen

Hi Everyone,

Ok, first off thank you Helen for jumping in and giving a brief update on the Summer Meltdown coins, as mentioned it has been a bit fustrating :P however, the coins have now safely arrived and I am in the process over the next two days activating, packaging and shipping out the coins to all those who have traded with me and/or will be assisting with the release of the coins through various parts of the world. I will be able to release a few coins on June 21st here locally in my area, but the others will be released as the geocachers receive them (hopefully over the next two weeks).

Still plenty of days for the coins to travel, although I was hoping to have them all released on June 21st, but now that looks like it will only happen on a partial level. This should still be a lot of fun and I want to thank everyone for their patience over the last couple of months. I will also be selling a black nickel version, but am going to hold off doing this so the travel coins can get packaged up and start travelling! I'll try and take some picutures and post them over the next day or so, trust me when I say the coins look great, I am very happy with the way they turned out.

As nobody with the exception of me will have the coins in hand by June 21st, I would ask as the geocachers receive their coins for release, that they put them out in to the wild as soon as possible to try and get as many coins as possible travelling and people able to participate in the cointest!

More details to follow soon. Can't believe the start date is actually here!

Best Regards,

Jason aka MRJIFFY