Off your Rocker

Review of a recent cache I hid.

"I am one of the volunteer admins for Geocaching.com. I was just reviewing your recent submission. Unfortunately, I am unable to accept it due to a couple of reasons.

Cracker Barrel Corporation has asked that no other caches be listed at their stores."

I enjoy hitting the Cracker Barrels while traveling but now I may start favoring other establishments.

You?

"I am one of the volunteer admins for Geocaching.com. I was just reviewing your recent submission. Unfortunately, I am unable to accept it due to a couple of reasons.

Cracker Barrel Corporation has asked that no other caches be listed at their stores."

I enjoy hitting the Cracker Barrels while traveling but now I may start favoring other establishments.

You?

A business has the right to ask that things like caches not be left on their premises. It may be concerned about people showing up and rummaging around looking for caches being a security risk or giving guests a bad impression. It may even have a good point. However, I have the right to patronize some restaurants and not others ... and I chose not to patronize Cracker Barrel ... which had poor service the last time I was there. (I had to hold my coffee cup above my head to attract enough attention to get it refilled.)

"There are 599417 active caches worldwide.

In the last 7 days, there have been 400910 new logs written by 57357 account holders. "

Do you think 57,000 people might have an effect on their bottom line?

Not that I'm pushing for a boycott or anything.

I just wonder if they know the popularity?

Well, just from the first 8 replies to this thread, I think you're already down to 56,996. :unsure:

You?

This is pretty much old news and has been discussed to death.

If you like their food, eat there, if you don't, don't.

You or all of us boycotting them isn't going to make them cry- and all of us WON'T, of that you can be assured.

(OBTW I think advocating a boycott is grounds for bannination judging from TPTB reactions in the previous threads :unsure: )

In the last 7 days, there have been 400910 new logs written by 57357 account holders. "

"Cracker Barrel welcomes about 600,000 people per day on average, serving meals for three day-parts and offering breakfast all day through its more than 570 stores. "

I'm guessing all 57000 members might be a bit of a small drop in the bucket for them to worry about whether we can play our game/hobby at their stores.

edit: (just to play with the math, our 57000 members in 7 days is 8143 of their 600,000 a day)

Edited by KoosKoos

As noted, there was a lengthy thread on this in September 2007. I linked to the specific post by Groundspeak's Michael that contains Cracker Barrel's official response on the subject.

I hate when they lie. "We are unable" means they made a choice. Not someone else passed a law that prevents them. The choice may have been due to insurance or some other reason. If it was a good reason we would understand. Knowing that they would tell us. If it's was a stupid reason we would hold it against them. Knowing that they wouldn't tell us. Sometimes I wonder about the people who run corporations. Actually it's more than sometimes.

They got pretty upset with people messing up the old time pieces on the porches. Now I do not know the final outcome of the whole Cracker Barrel issue but at one time I heard it was going to be left up to the manager of each store and the placement had to be away from the porch.

I am sorry but that is incorrect. This is not the reason they stopped and it was never going to be left up to the local managers. Its official and has not changed since the last time. I check with them every so often.

The reviewer is correct. Geocaching.com will not allow caches on the Cracker Barrel restaurant property due to a request from the corporation management.

Don't ask me why they decided to not allow caches. I am not at liberty to say.

Edited by Michael

As noted, there was a lengthy thread on this in September 2007. I linked to the specific post by Groundspeak's Michael that contains Cracker Barrel's official response on the subject.

I hate when they lie. "We are unable" means they made a choice. Not someone else passed a law that prevents them. The choice may have been due to insurance or some other reason. If it was a good reason we would understand. Knowing that they would tell us. If it's was a stupid reason we would hold it against them. Knowing that they wouldn't tell us. Sometimes I wonder about the people who run corporations. Actually it's more than sometimes.

RK there is no lie in that statement. Lets not get carried away here. Yes they made a choice. Its their company they have that right. They did not say they were forced. As for giving a reason. Many corporations have policies that prevent them from telling you why a decision was made. Its part of the way business is done. There is no lie.

Please remember that every one here is treated with respect even corporations. Lets avoid making statements like that.

I've never found one of these Caches, and rerely ever have eaten there, but It would not have any effect on my decision. As for making reference to 57,000 members and whether they will have any influence, you must consider that there is likely a small percentage of those 57,000 that were customers in the first place.

I'd venture that the majority of the 57000 have never heard of them (I hadn't until the previous thread about this). And a very significant number have no idea whether there's a cracker barrel within 1000 miles, nor would they be bothered to find out. I've never seen such a place (they may be limited to the US as far as I know). So it's no more than a minor inconvenience in the Great Scheme of Geocaching.

?? WTF?? You are upset because you can't hide a cache at a business? PFD. Get over it. This game seems to be getting more ridicules for the number monkeys out there. Personally I wish Walmart would put a stop to allowing caches in their parking lot. I for one rarely eat a cracker barrel, but I will still go there when the mood strikes. Get over yourself at thinking that just because you can't place a cache there that people will see it as a reason not to go there. Geocaching doesn't have to be place in every front yard, and every parking lot.

I fully understand when a business does not want a cache on their premises. I feel thoroughly uncomfortable scratching around looking as if I am up to mischief in full view of muggles - especially the official kind like security guards and shop assistants. For caches to be worthwhile to me they should show me something interesting or new - I seriously doubt whether a retail chain of any sort would be able to provide any of that.

Talk about boycotting is way off the spirit of the game.

I've never found one of these Caches, and rerely ever have eaten there, but It would not have any effect on my decision. As for making reference to 57,000 members and whether they will have any influence, you must consider that there is likely a small percentage of those 57,000 that were customers in the first place.

I'd venture that the majority of the 57000 have never heard of them (I hadn't until the previous thread about this). And a very significant number have no idea whether there's a cracker barrel within 1000 miles, nor would they be bothered to find out. I've never seen such a place (they may be limited to the US as far as I know). So it's no more than a minor inconvenience in the Great Scheme of Geocaching.

It just came up in the Canadian forum a week or two ago that Cracker Barrel is in fact U.S. only.

I for one am more likely to eat there, now that they don't allow caching. Just kidding.

I was wondering though, it appears that existing CB caches are fine. There are still hundreds out there. Seems kind of strange to me.

Since I prefer caching on long hikes in natural areas this had no impact on me. I view CB as a place for a meal but I rarely go there anyway. Heck, CB could issue a memo insulting cachers and it wouldn't stop me from going there occasionally.

If a boycott makes you feel better, go for it. The last time I checked this was still just a game. It reminds me of a child holding their breathe trying to get what they want.

They got pretty upset with people messing up the old time pieces on the porches. Now I do not know the final outcome of the whole Cracker Barrel issue but at one time I heard it was going to be left up to the manager of each store and the placement had to be away from the porch.

I am sorry but that is incorrect. This is not the reason they stopped and it was never going to be left up to the local managers. Its official and has not changed since the last time. I check with them every so often.

The reviewer is correct. Geocaching.com will not allow caches on the Cracker Barrel restaurant property due to a request from the corporation management.

Don't ask me why they decided to not allow caches. I am not at liberty to say.

<Monty python voice> But we CAAN play "20 questions," then? </voice>

... we know it wasn't because of people messing with the decorations...

It's entirely possible that the CEO has a few thousand finds and hates urban micros. :blink:

I like that one. :D

Two down 18 to go...

Is it bigger than a breadbox? ... oops, wrong topic

3/17

If a boycott makes you feel better, go for it. The last time I checked this was still just a game. It reminds me of a child holding their breathe trying to get what they want.

Pretty much sums up my opinion of boycotts.

This topic was debated already (195 post thread) Off Your Rocker Series New Corp Policies say NO MORE CACHES

So far their stores have not shut down because of the new policy.

Edited by Kit Fox

It's entirely possible that the CEO has a few thousand finds and hates urban micros. :D

I like that one. :blink:

Two down 18 to go...

3/17

ooooh, I'll play....

Was it because Jeremy squandered the millions of dollars he receives on our premium memberships and he didn't have enough to leave a tip when he and the other 500 Groundspeak employees ate at Cracker Barrell for their company lunch?

What's the point of boycotting CB if there are zillions of other places to hide caches?

True. Just put your cache in front of any other restauraunt, and it will be approved, no questions asked. Then again, looking at your hides in your profile, I see you've already done that. :blink:

Okay so what's the point? It's just another MICRO!!

Hide'em like they do around here. There's probably not a single lamppost/ fireplug/ power pole guidewire/ bus stop/ stop sign/ no parking sign/ dumpster (did I leave any out) that don't have a mciro on it.

go TC

Not that I'm pushing for a boycott.

What part of this do you not understand people?

A bit of a cop out. If a bunch of people chimed in saying a boycott was a good idea, you could come back here and take credit for suggesting it. When a bunch of people think a boycott is silly, you can take this route. Yes, you're not "pushing" for it but you brought it up. It sure looks like you were fishing for a reaction and you got one.

A business has the right to ask that things like caches not be left on their premises. It may be concerned about people showing up and rummaging around looking for caches being a security risk or giving guests a bad impression.

That sums it up for me. Remember its their property and they have a right to determine what happens on it, just like when you get permission to hide a cache in a local park. Not every place you like to go to has to have a Geocache. There are plenty of places to hide a cache and if you bought some ffort into it you could design a really unique hide instead.

Edited by magellan315

A bit of a cop out. If a bunch of people chimed in saying a boycott was a good idea, you could come back here and take credit for suggesting it. When a bunch of people think a boycott is silly, you can take this route. Yes, you're not "pushing" for it but you brought it up. It sure looks like you were fishing for a reaction and you got one.

The boycott must have been ineffective considering the change of policy occurred over nine months ago. The subject was already made into a dead horse.

Not that I'm pushing for a boycott.

What part of this do you not understand people?

Perhaps this line in the OP?

You?

The OP sho nuff seemed like a call to boycott to me. :blink:

I think that most people understand that many businesses might be concerned about the types of activities that might take place on their property, the impact that it might have on their business volume and perception, and the realization that in a society where everyone wants to sue someone for the slightest thing, that a business might say no to activities that are not a part of their business, might negatively impact their business, and may leave them open to lawsuits.

That said, I don't think that most of us are going to change whether or not we patronize Cracker Barrel just because they don't want your cache on their property. Even if I did eat at Cracker Barrel (when was the last time that I ate at one?) I wouldn't let the fact that you are throwing a tantrum over it change my point of view.

I have to wonder, during the time that Cracker Barrel allowed caches on their property, how many cachers sent "thank you" notes to either the management or corporate? How often did we make our appreciation known for them taking part in our game?

And now some people call for boycotts?

It's like they say, "You can catch more flies with honey than with Vinnie's soiled t-shirts." But really I don't think it's all that many more.

Ok, I've got to add my 2 cents too. According to Groundspeaks policy:

"Commercial Caches

Commercial caches will not be published on geocaching.com without prior approval from Groundspeak. A commercial cache is a geocache listing or geocache which is perceived by Groundspeak, Groundspeak's employees, or the Volunteer Geocache Reviewers as having been submitted to geocaching.com with the principal or substantial intent of soliciting customers or generating commercial gain. The geocache is presumed to be commercial if the finder is required to go inside a business, interact with employees, and/or purchase a product or service, or if the cache listing has overtones of advertising, marketing, or promotion.

Additionally, links to businesses, commercial advertisers, charities, political or social agendas, or the inclusion of their associated logos are not permitted on cache descriptions without prior permission from Groundspeak."

While Cracker Barrel caches doesn't "required to go inside a business, interact with employees, and/or purchase a product or service," it does (in my opinion) have "overtones of advertising, marketing, or promotion." Why do I say that? They're a series of caches at Cracker Barrel! I don't think they should have been started in the first place, but again that's my opinion.

OK, I have my head covered now! :blink: I know it's coming! :D

It's entirely possible that the CEO has a few thousand finds and hates urban micros. :D

I like that one. :D

Two down 18 to go...

3/17

ooooh, I'll play....

Was it because Jeremy squandered the millions of dollars he receives on our premium memberships and he didn't have enough to leave a tip when he and the other 500 Groundspeak employees ate at Cracker Barrell for their company lunch?

It couldn't have been that, as there are no Cracker Barrels in Washington State. :blink:

You?

Sigh... although you do not realize it, you are resurrecting an issue that has been aired a number of times here in the past, and for some godforsaken reason, you have also seen fit to resurrect the whole issue of threatening to possibly boycott the chain as "punishment" for not allowing geocaches any longer. Personally, I feel that suggestions that geocachers might wish to boycott a restaurant chain because they once allowed geoaches on their premises but no longer allow them carte blanche, to be incredibly infantile and boorish, and I am saddened -- and I also kinda wanna toss my most recent meal, as in propulsive vomiting -- every time I see a geoacher suggest such an incredibly short-sighted, petty piece of buffoonery. In fact, I am feeling so cranky just from seeing your suggestion that I must end this message posthaste and go have a long drink of radium-and-radon-rich water from my Revigator radioactive water dispenser to soothe my nerves and help to restore a sense of calm.

Edited by Vinny & Sue Team

I have to wonder, during the time that Cracker Barrel allowed caches on their property, how many cachers sent "thank you" notes to either the management or corporate? How often did we make our appreciation known for them taking part in our game?

And now some people call for boycotts?

It's like they say, "You can catch more flies with honey than with Vinnie's soiled t-shirts." But really I don't think it's all that many more.

Ahem... Regarding your comment about my soiled t-shirts:

I will have you know that my t-shirts are hardly soiled at all, as, being a bit of a Polly Prudent type (i.e., meaning that I have some Martha Steward tendencies when it comes to my wardrobe and accessories), I insist upon laundering my t-shirts after having worn them only three months, even if they do not really need laundering yet. And, I have a similar philosophy about my underwear and bedsheets as well: I launder them twice a year even if they do not really need it.

Sigh... although you do not realize it, you are resurrecting an issue that has been aired a number of times here in the past, and for some godforsaken reason, you have also seen fit to resurrect the whole issue of possibly boycotting the chain as "punishment" for not allowing geocaches. Personally, I feel that suggestions that geocachers might wish to boycott a restaurant chain because they once allowed geoaches on their premises but no longer allow them carte blanche, to be incredibly infantile and boorish, and I am saddened -- and I also kinda wanna toss my most recent meal, as in propulsive vomiting -- every time I see a geoacher suggest such an incredibly short-sighted, petty piece of buffoonery. In fact, I am feeling so cranky just from seeing your suggestion that I must end this message posthaste and go have a long drink of radium-and-radon-rich water from my Revigator radioactive water dispenser to soothe my nerves and help to restore a sense of calm.

Vinny... Vinny... Vinny...

When are you going to stop getting so 'gotta go have a drink before I have a breakdown' whenever someone, who pays zero attention to the current "General Issues At Hand Which Affect Geocaching Today but Didn't Seven Years Ago When I Last Checked", can't use the 'Search' feature to figure out that a topic has already been discussed ad nauseum (and put to bed)?

You know better.

michelle

just because the rest of us put it to bed ages ago doesn't mean it's not current for the OP.

if we do not stand right up and delcare FIRMLY our failure to care even a little bit, how will we loudly and resolutely make our deep and abiding apathy clear to all?

it is our right, nay, our responsibility to take up the cry and shout it from the rooftops:

WE CARE ABOUT THIS SLIGHTLY LESS THAN CRACKER BARREL CARES ABOUT OUR COLLECTIVE SNIT, assuming that there is one large enough to be noticed.

smart money is on nobody will notice, and fewer people will care.

smarter money is on few people noticed the first time this topic came up, and even fewer cared.

by golly, i so completely don't care about this that i'm going to continue not to eat at cracker barrel and i'm going to continue not to care about lame micros on the front porches thereof. if need be, i will step right up and not sign whatever petition is going around.

and i won't just leave it be at that. if necessary, i will do everything in my power to foster a resounding apathy that will be sure to evoke absolutely no response from anyone.

Edited by flask

Sigh... although you do not realize it, you are resurrecting an issue that has been aired a number of times here in the past, and for some godforsaken reason, you have also seen fit to resurrect the whole issue of possibly boycotting the chain as "punishment" for not allowing geocaches. Personally, I feel that suggestions that geocachers might wish to boycott a restaurant chain because they once allowed geoaches on their premises but no longer allow them carte blanche, to be incredibly infantile and boorish, and I am saddened -- and I also kinda wanna toss my most recent meal, as in propulsive vomiting -- every time I see a geoacher suggest such an incredibly short-sighted, petty piece of buffoonery. In fact, I am feeling so cranky just from seeing your suggestion that I must end this message posthaste and go have a long drink of radium-and-radon-rich water from my Revigator radioactive water dispenser to soothe my nerves and help to restore a sense of calm.

Vinny... Vinny... Vinny...

When are you going to stop getting so 'gotta go have a drink before I have a breakdown' whenever someone, who pays zero attention to the current "General Issues At Hand Which Affect Geocaching Today but Didn't Seven Years Ago When I Last Checked", can't use the 'Search' feature to figure out that a topic has already been discussed ad nauseum (and put to bed)?

You know better.

michelle

Michelle, I always love reading your posts! Thank you! :blink: First, I feel much better since I ingested a 14 ounce mugful of radon-rich and radon-progeny-enriched water from my Revigator radium water dispenser about an hour ago. This particular batch of water had been percolating in the dispenser for over 20 days, and thus the water measures about 240,000 pCi/L (picoCuries per liter) of radioactivity, and within minutes of ingesting it, my temporary discomfort caused by the toxic miasma of having encountered the banal and petty suggestion that geocachers boycott a restaurant chain as "punishment" was dissipated, leaving me feeling rejuvenated and revigorated.

Next, if you are ever ANYWHERE near our area (the mountains of western Maryland) please feel invited to drop by and visit us at our remote mountain home and laboratory, and if you do so, I will be happy to offer you as many mugsful as you wish of radioactive water from my dispensers, and Sue and I will be happy to take you out to dinner at a nearby Asian buffet restaurant (yes, they have sushi) or a really nice Middle Eastern restaurant in town. Of course, if you should happen to call while I am on one of my excursions to another space-time world via my time-space portal, then your visit may need to be postponed until my return, but I am rarely gone for more than four hours on those trips. And, if you should visit us, you can also get to meet our amazing peacock, Pierre!

6c5e18de-8c70-4e97-89c3-ad4ad56a34c1.jpg

And, if you should happen to see a woman dressed in an Air Force general's uniform lurking in the bushes near our home, do not worry, that is just Sionevil on one of her near-daily stalking missions; she is quite harmless.