Moving waypoints from a Garmin III to a Garmin V

Y2KOTA

I'm replacing my Garmin III with a Garmin V. Can I transfer the waypoints from the III to my Laptop and back into the V? The V is coming with cables and software. Any help would be useful here. I never hooked up the old Garmin III to my computer before. Thank!!!

I'm replacing my Garmin III with a Garmin V. Can I transfer the waypoints from the III to my Laptop and back into the V? The V is coming with cables and software. Any help would be useful here. I never hooked up the old Garmin III to my computer before. Thank!!!

The GPS V has the same round serial port as the GPS III, right? So whatever cable you're getting with the V should also work with the III.

If you don't already have waypoint management software, there are many options listed here:

http://www.geocaching.com/waypoints/

Patty

I'm replacing my Garmin III with a Garmin V. Can I transfer the waypoints from the III to my Laptop and back into the V? The V is coming with cables and software.

I'm pretty sure the connector for the V is the same as for the III. If they look the same and the cable fits, then it is. If that’s the case, then the answer is yes, but it’s serial only. You will need either a serial port on the computer, or a USB to serial converter. If you need the converter, research that a bit. Some of them don’t work too well, based on comments I’ve seen.

Install the software that came with the V, connect the III, transfer the data from the III to MapSource (the software you will install), save the file (optional, but a good idea), disconnect the III and connect the V, transfer the data to the V.

MapSource is pretty intuitive. If you have the right toolbar showing, look for buttons that look like your III or V with an arrow pointing toward or away from it. Those are the transfer buttons. If they aren’t showing, go to the View pulldown menu and select Show Toolbars>Transfer.