Your mission... to end?

Just got very sad news - one of the most highly rated caches in geocacheuk - "Your mission... " could be archived by Pharisee. http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...92-08f8b889793f

This cache showed me what caching is all about. Is this a sad sign of the times, that people can't be bothered with a challenge any more?

June 20 by Pharisee (1619 found)

I believe the time has come to think about archiving this cache. Sadly, caches of this sort are no longer 'in fashion'. Now it's 'all about the numbers'. It seems that unless you can do a cache in 5 minutes and there are at least a dozen others in close proximity the chances are that no-one will bother to do it. Few will spend three days doing one cache... as the dwindling number of finds testifies. I'm no longer able to justify the expenditure in time and effort to maintain it only to have one or two finds a year. I know that there are at least two teams that have been working on this cache for some months, so in deference to them, I'll leave it active for a few more weeks and archive it in the autumn.

Does anyone share Pharisee's apparent despair?

John - please don't accede to the general dumbing down by archiving this great cache. Leave it to remain a model to which other cachers can aspire. Even if it's not attempted very often by its very existence it shows people what CAN be done.

Edited by The Hornet

It would be a sad day if Your Mission were archived: it's our all-time favourite cache. We took three days and an overnight stay in a hotel, and that single cache was the greatest fun we've had in five year's caching. Anyone who deliberately avoids Your Mission is missing out on the best cache they'll ever do.

Please leave it, John :unsure:.

It will be a real shame if "Your Mission ....." is archived.

We have done the first two stages so far but living a considerable distance away makes it difficult to make quick progress on what promises to be a really good cache.

Hello John,please dont archive "your mission" as it has been on our todo list ever since we started caching,we did start it one day quite a while back but only got a few yards.ever since then lots of cachers have told me its the best cache ever.what a compliment that must be for you after all your work in setting it up.fancy being the guardian of the top rated cache.as soon as we can we will start again on your mission.patandjeff with the corgis george and sali that make up team bones1.

Well.... I'm totally gobsmacked.... :unsure: When I put that note on the cache page yesterday, I had no idea (nor any intention) that it would be discussed on the national forum. Since then, however, I've had at least a dozen emails from teams who are already part way through or are about to start.

Of course, while I know people are still prepared to take it on, I'll maintain it... with the greatest of pleasure. Thank-you :ph34r:

If we lived closer we'd spend time finding your cache.

We love the challenge of these types of cache. One particular cache near us called "The Accumulator" took us about a year to find as we had to collect clues from 49 other caches first. Then there's another one near us called "Wild Cat" which has taken us almost from the first time we started caching to solve and we've still yet to go get the final.

So no. Don't archive it.

I say keep it if you can John.

I have one that's rarely attempted, fine by me as long as its enjoyed.

Ditto

John, dont do it!!!

As my Lewis Alone... also operates at this high level, it also rarely get done, but the pleasure it gives fellow cachers is worth it.

Keep it as a beacon and a lesson to all.

Someday I might just do it.

Ditto ditto

No don't do it leave it as a example of how caches should be done.

Dave and Jean

Please please leave it

Well.... I'm totally gobsmacked.... :P When I put that note on the cache page yesterday, I had no idea (nor any intention) that it would be discussed on the national forum. Since then, however, I've had at least a dozen emails from teams who are already part way through or are about to start.

Of course, while I know people are still prepared to take it on, I'll maintain it... with the greatest of pleasure. Thank-you :laughing:

Phew !

Now to save time can you email me the final co ords please :laughing::laughing:

We've just completed "Your Mission......." for our 4000th.

What a fantastic cache. Anyone who hasn't attempted it yet should put it at the top of their priority list.

It has twists and turns right to the end.

Took us 5 visits and 5 months to beat the Muggolovians. What are we going to do now?

NB: We have also been working on qichina's Climate Chaos cache series (GC124J4.....) whilst in the area and would highly recommend this series for those addicted to outwitting enemy agents of all kinds!