GPS Setup

Langy

Hello

First posting and new to the geocaching.

I currently use Tom Tom on my PDA and managed to find one cache today (helped by the clues).

This evening I went out again in a forest to find another and failed.

The PDA was setup to give the co-ordinates in degrees minutes and seconds, rather than the decimal version that is shown on the pages. Due to this the reference on teh PDA doesn't change until after a few yards have been walked.

I have now seen where to change this will I get a better reading by using the decimal version?

Also due to being in the trees and having to make changable movements I'm also thinking of taking the good old fasioned compass so that you can see easier with way to walk.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Langy

Hello

First posting and new to the geocaching.

I currently use Tom Tom on my PDA and managed to find one cache today (helped by the clues).

This evening I went out again in a forest to find another and failed.

The PDA was setup to give the co-ordinates in degrees minutes and seconds, rather than the decimal version that is shown on the pages. Due to this the reference on teh PDA doesn't change until after a few yards have been walked.

I have now seen where to change this will I get a better reading by using the decimal version?

Also due to being in the trees and having to make changable movements I'm also thinking of taking the good old fasioned compass so that you can see easier with way to walk.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Langy

I dont think the change in format will make the difference. If you are under tree cover you will definately run into where the gps signal "bounces" around and one second you could be 5 feet away then all of a sudden without moving you are 30 feet away. It's something you have to get used to and when you do you will be able to judge it a little better.