Whats the hardest part?

genegene

I'm sitting here working on my EarthCache and am finding it hard to find info that I can use to explain what it is that I want to say. As I am not a Geologist, I find it quite hard to write up something that is very informative and interesting for other people to learn about when it comes to a earthcache site.

As I know there are a lot of people out there that I can ask for help, I realy want to get the basics written up of what I want to say and then send it to someone to "fix up" so I don't mess it up.

In my opinion, I think that doing the write up is the hardest part of earthcaches.

I was wondering what others think is the hardest part for them when setting up earthcaches.

I'm sitting here working on my EarthCache and am finding it hard to find info that I can use to explain what it is that I want to say. As I am not a Geologist, I find it quite hard to write up something that is very informative and interesting for other people to learn about when it comes to a earthcache site.

As I know there are a lot of people out there that I can ask for help, I realy want to get the basics written up of what I want to say and then send it to someone to "fix up" so I don't mess it up.

In my opinion, I think that doing the write up is the hardest part of earthcaches.

I was wondering what others think is the hardest part for them when setting up earthcaches.

Yeah, the write up is the hardest part, just depends on how much info I can source. At GZ, I usually take photos of any info boards nearby, as this has useful info on it sometimes.

I think writing it up is the hardest part also. For me it's a case of trying not to give out too much detail--especially too much "science-y stuff"...

That's difficult for me, because I teach science. In fact, I'm way over-qualified to teach the kind of science I teach, so I know that all those terms mean and I understand the implications and I can access and read the technical reports.

It helps that I teach Earth science to young people---so I also know that if I go into too much detail, people's eyes will glaze over. It also helps me remember not to try to do too many things at once. Focus on just one really good question that can be answered at the spot. Otherwise people get lost in all the details.

At the same time, I want to help someone learn something from the earthcache. It's a challenge.

I've found that pictures or illustrations help. They help me figure out how to say it and they help the finders figure out what they are looking for at the site. They also look nice and keep people entertained while they read the cache page.

I think this earthcache is probably my best written one yet. It doesn't say much, but it's still very informative. (And ironically when I clicked on it, there was an advertisement to see meteor crater on the page!).

Of course you know that there are lots of folks who will gladly help you out with your final write up. I show mine to other earthcache owners before they "go live" all the time. Sometimes I have my students review them, too.

Edited by Neos2

I agree that the hardest part is writing the earthcache. Two areas in particular:

1) The info in the cache - not to make it too technical so that the average "Joe Cacher" will not be pout off - and secondly not to oversimplify so that the cacher ends up not leaqrnign anything.

2) The questions or tasks I ask the cachers to perform. Again not to be too easy that you can gain it via arm chair caching. And then also not to make it so difficult that it becomes uninteresting. Also when asking cachers to look at a feature on the site - it is a challenge again to let them see features that are easy to spot for a layman in differing weather and light. So looking for very fine striations on a sedimentary rock may be too difficult.

I agree - being a rocknerd myself I tend to get all happy about the backround info and then my other half reads it and tones it down a couple of notches. Having a classroom of students to run it by sounds like a great tool! We really enjoy giving the backround info and then having cachers search to find a corresponding area.

Keeping some of the terms in there while not overloading the geek speak is key but, be careful of getting info on line - its not all reliable.

There are many local teachers (college and HS) who also may be able to lend a hand -most of us Geo's love talking "rock" and always welcome the chance when someone is interested (especially since we can sometimes overload our other half's with rock talk :P ).

too funny - you never know how the words that come out of your mouth are heard by another. We had the same thing when a friend from Austraila came over a few years back - some of her common phrases were socially unacceptable here. On the other hand when we finished dinner one night and the unmarried 16 yr old at the table said she was "stuffed", our Aussie friend was in shock - apparently what we say to mean we are "full from eating" - they use for "pregnant"! OOPS!

the hardest thing for me is to come up with the "learning" requirement. I have had an Earthcache in development for 2 months, and just figured out that part....

Ya, what Shop said.

Usually, when I find an EC site I get so engrossed in it that I can spend literally hours googling and following various links, ending up with at least a page worth of info, but it's the logging requirements that are the most difficult for me. (I'm not a geologist ya know.)

I've got one I'm working on now - I am thisclose to having the write up done and have found more than one picture to include - but I haven't quite figured out how I'm going to get cachers to learn something since the site is "raw", although the write up is quite informative, there is only a small sign on site and it provides close to nothing for educational info.

the hardest thing for me is to come up with the "learning" requirement. I have had an Earthcache in development for 2 months, and just figured out that part....

When I get stuck for an idea, I look through similar earthcaches that are already published. Sometimes that gives me a new idea.

If I can help, just shoot me an email.

I've got one I'm working on now - I am thisclose to having the write up done and have found more than one picture to include - but I haven't quite figured out how I'm going to get cachers to learn something since the site is "raw", although the write up is quite informative, there is only a small sign on site and it provides close to nothing for educational info.

I think the raw ones are the best--since they can't just go there and read something.

What is the main thing you want them to come away with understanding from the area? That's where I start.

Is there something that can be measured, or compared to something else? It doesn't have to be complicated.

Ya, what Shop said.

Usually, when I find an EC site I get so engrossed in it that I can spend literally hours googling and following various links, ending up with at least a page worth of info, but it's the logging requirements that are the most difficult for me. (I'm not a geologist ya know.)

I am going to go find it anyway. I would be more then happy to act as a sounding board for those in my area. The way its going I am helping out several other local area cachers with types of areas and goog logging ideas. Shoot me a PM. That reminds me I had a question for you as well.

For me the hardest part is writing the simplified information for the normal geocacher.

Another part is the 'nerve wrecking' waiting time for the adoption which may take up to 4 days.

But I think this is Ok. The reviewers nee some time off once in a while...

Generally, the submission process is just fine.

GSA is critical but I don't have problems with that. As a matter a fact that is good!

Keep up the good work.

GeoBSWEScout

Platinum Earthcache Master

I work as an eLearning system admin & course developer at a local community college, and I know a cool geology instructor there. I see some cool potential here...

I have not tried posting an earthcache. (Though I may yet!)

I have logged sixteen. It seems to me that the hardest thing for an Earthcache page writer to do is to make it interesting and meaningful to the average geocacher. I am sure that the Exofenestrian Formation is of tremendous interest to geologists. Make it interesting to me, so that I will remember it. And understand what I am being taught. I think I have some understanding of kettlebogs now! And reversing falls! But the Exofenestrian Formation leaves me cold. Hunh?

Make the Learning Requirement useful and interesting. Estimate the height of the rock cut, or the depth of the river isn't teaching me anything. Sounds like a desperation move because the learning part is required.

Make it both interesting and fun to the finder.

I for one am tired of measuring water temp and pH levels, after a few its basically the same answer in karst country in SE Minnesota. Has tought me fresh water springs are the same temp year around and pH varies due to percipitation. The same "learning" requirement leads to lame caches.

Personally I could care less if some one anwers questions, I just want the cacher to read the content and learn. Sets a peson up for armchair earthcaches.

The last earchace developed is a fen, heavy content, answers are in the content, main point is for cacher to experience the setting and take with them understanding of wetland importance.