Underwater cache containers

I've made cache containers from plastic pipe and fittings that I bought from my local 'Plumb Centre'. A suitable length of pipe with a joining socket glued onto each end and an "inspection cap" glued into that makes a lovely cylindrical cache container. The inspection caps have an 'O' ring seal that will keep out water to at least 1 bar... 30 feet or so... if that is deep enough for you. The pipe is usually either grey or white but can be painted or covered with camo Duck tape to suit the hiding location.

I've made cache containers from plastic pipe and fittings that I bought from my local 'Plumb Centre'. A suitable length of pipe with a joining socket glued onto each end and an "inspection cap" glued into that makes a lovely cylindrical cache container. The inspection caps have an 'O' ring seal that will keep out water to at least 1 bar... 30 feet or so... if that is deep enough for you. The pipe is usually either grey or white but can be painted or covered with camo Duck tape to suit the hiding location.

Sounds the perfect solution. Especially as I'm replacing all my drains at the moment so have loads of pipe :P

No, I wouldn't use the old stuff :D

I've used an Otterbox successfully. Only had a problem once when someone caught some of the contents of the box in the seal.

Edited to add- don't do as I did and test out the depth of the water by putting a wellington into the stream. I slipped and ended up in to my waist- and I was wearing a suit.

Edited by Pieman

The BIG problem is going to be, people not closing the container properly before they submerge it.

This is the main thing. It doesn't matter how go a container you get if its not put back right it's ruined. Its happened to us a couple of times now.

The BIG problem is going to be, people not closing the container properly before they submerge it.

This is the main thing. It doesn't matter how go a container you get if its not put back right it's ruined. Its happened to us a couple of times now.

I have been pondering an underwater Cache but how do you stop marine growth! I have boat and even with anti fouling paint I am lucky to get 3 months without weed appearing...

If you're concerned about people not closing it properly you can take the easy way out and make it an offset - with the co-ords for the cache engraved on a piece of perspex hidden underwater, and place the cache a short distance away on dry land.......

I like that idea, that appeals to me :blink:

GerritS wrote:

but how do you stop marine growth!

That can be a big problem, at least with some underwater caches. The best solution I've heard is to ask on the cache page for people to take a cloth with them, and clean the container carefully before opening it. But how many of them will do so is of course another matter... It's not just the slimey nastiness that's the problem - it's the possibility of weed or whatever getting trapped in the seal when the cache is closed. :angry: I think you just have to accept that it'll need much more frequent maintenance than most caches.

Yes, I like the offset idea too, with the co-ords on a submerged sheet of perspex or similar! :D

If you're concerned about people not closing it properly you can take the easy way out and make it an offset - with the co-ords for the cache engraved on a piece of perspex hidden underwater, and place the cache a short distance away on dry land.......

Hmm... too easily PAFfable :ph34r: