Secret Greeting for Geocachers?

Hello all,

I'm relatively new to this Geocache thing but I've had a couple of situations where I wasn't sure if I was saying "Hello" to fellow Geocachers or Muggles. Do you think it would be a good idea to have a secret greeting like:

A: "Grounds Wet/Dry today isn't it?"

B: "Not as Wet/Dry as is was last Mugglesday"

At least then we could both stop waiting for each other to leave the site and could search for the cache together. If B gave the wrong response we know they are a muggle. If a muggle was to ask the first question by accident we could then correct ourselves by saying lasy Monday and could get out of the sticky situation.

What do you think? Its just an idea.

J

I've found "Hi! Are you a geocacher?" to be remarkably effective.

Yeah but does that not then lead on to the question of "Whats a geocacher?". Many of the caches in my local area are very public and if I was to protect the cache by asking everyone around "Are you a geocacher?" I'd never have time to find the cache!

J

Edited by JayPercival

If some one is displaying the secret geocaching signs¹, I'll open by asking "Found it yet?" If they say "Huh?", I respond with "Sorry, thought you were someone else" and walk off.

Note¹: Secret geocaching signs include walking in circles while staring at an electronic device, loitering near ground zero of a cache, or talking on a huge "cell phone" (usually bright yellow, and resembles a GPS receiver). Some people exhibit more blatant signs, such as crawling around in the bushes and peaking at you from behind trees.

Briansnat once suggested the following...

I believe the standard we agreed on was when meeting another geocacher, one was to yell "Ho, are ye a geocacher?" and the correct response is "Yay I am".

Upon the confirmation, the two then approach each other, put their left hand on the other person's right shoulder, standing arm's length and dance around in a circle while skipping and singing (very loudly) "Geocachers are we! Runy muny mee! Yaba daba baba. He, he, he!".

Yeah but does that not then lead on to the question of "Whats a geocacher?". Many of the caches in my local area are very public and if I was to protect the cache by asking everyone around "Are you a geocacher?" I'd never have time to find the cache!

J

Geocachers have adopted the "secret sign" from American Sign Language and changed the meaning to suit ourselves. In ASL it means "Lesbian."

Here is Jeremy teaching the "secret sign" to a noob cacher:

93d1af1c-a796-4968-b8be-58598f0616c4.jpg

If some one is displaying the secret geocaching signs¹, I'll open by asking "Found it yet?" If they say "Huh?", I respond with "Sorry, thought you were someone else" and walk off.

Note¹: Secret geocaching signs include walking in circles while staring at an electronic device, loitering near ground zero of a cache, or talking on a huge "cell phone" (usually bright yellow, and resembles a GPS receiver). Some people exhibit more blatant signs, such as crawling around in the bushes and peaking at you from behind trees.

As I said I'm relatively new and will now adopt these well known signs so other cachers will know that I too am a cacher and the general public will think I'm a loon.

:( J

If I see a GPSr or some other indication that the other party could be a cacher, I usually say, "Did you find it yet?" If they aren't cachers, they look at me very funny, say, "Um, no" and walk away.

If they are cachers, I've made a new friend!

As I said I'm relatively new and will now adopt these well known signs so other cachers will know that I too am a cacher and the general public will think I'm a loon.

:( J

If I see a GPSr or some other indication that the other party could be a cacher, I usually say, "Did you find it yet?" If they aren't cachers, they look at me very funny, say, "Um, no" and walk away.

If they are cachers, I've made a new friend!

I recently tried saying the decrypted clue (Moss Log) loudly in the vecinity of the cache right in front of someone to see if they reacted but they didn't, it was probably a muggle.

J

Edited by JayPercival

J

Geocachers have adopted the "secret sign" from American Sign Language and changed the meaning to suit ourselves. In ASL it means "Lesbian."

Here is Jeremy teaching the "secret sign" to a noob cacher:

93d1af1c-a796-4968-b8be-58598f0616c4.jpg

Quote for the picture "Now where can this cache be?..........." LOL

There is one. Briansnat invented it. Hopefully, he will read this thread and tell you what it is. I am certainly not qualified to recite it.

Thanks for the mention. Yes, there is one that I invented. It started in NJ and has been used for some time here, but now it's taking the nation by storm.

It goes like this;

When you see someone you think might be a geocacher you yell (very loudly) "Ho! Are ye a geocacher?"

If the person is indeed a geocacher, his response will be "Yay, a geocacher am I". Llisten very carefully to the response because there are some phony geocachers out there who will respond "Yay, a geocacher I am" If you hear that, RUN! because he is a fraud and might be an evil doer.

Once you've established that you are both geocachers you approach each other until you are facing each other at arms length. You each then put your right arm on the other's left shoulder and start dancing and skipping in a circle while repeatedly singing (very loudly) "Geocachers are we! Runy muny mee! Yaba daba baba. He, he, he!". This should continue for no less than 3 minutes.

There is one. Briansnat invented it. Hopefully, he will read this thread and tell you what it is. I am certainly not qualified to recite it.

Thanks for the mention. Yes, there is one that I invented. It started in NJ and has been used for some time here, but now it's taking the nation by storm.

It goes like this;

When you see someone you think might be a geocacher you yell (very loudly) "Ho! Are ye a geocacher?"

If the person is indeed a geocacher, his response will be "Yay, a geocacher am I". Llisten very carefully to the response because there are some phony geocachers out there who will respond "Yay, a geocacher I am" If you hear that, RUN! because he is a fraud and might be an evil doer.

Once you've established that you are both geocachers you approach each other until you are facing each other at arms length. You each then put your right arm on the other's left shoulder and start dancing and skipping in a circle while repeatedly singing (very loudly) "Geocachers are we! Runy muny mee! Yaba daba baba. He, he, he!". This should continue for no less than 3 minutes.

Its good to see we have such a subtle way of telling Geocachers from Muggles. LOL

J

It goes like this;

I really want to see this someday. :P You need to video it and put it on youtube. :D

It goes like this;

I for one am quite glad that the Office (a bar) was too crowded for the dancing and skipping when we met back in January. That and you were on crutches. The 'Ho are ye a geocacher' drew enough odd looks from the patrons as it was. :P

It goes like this;

I for one am quite glad that the Office (a bar) was too crowded for the dancing and skipping when we met back in January. That and you were on crutches. The 'Ho are ye a geocacher' drew enough odd looks from the patrons as it was. :P

Hey, how do you think I wound up on crutches in the first place? It was a geocacher greeting gone terribly wrong.

Okay, you just made Pepsi come out of my nose! Now I've gotta clean off the laptop. LMAO

I'm glad I'm not the only one! This whole thread had me quite frightened at times (being new to geocaching) and then had me killing myself laughing! :P I've decided I'd love to meet y'all...so long as it's not in a place with lots of people around!! :D

We were geocahing in Paulding County yesterday evening.

We saw a couple exactly where our gps was directing us.

mtn-man walked up to them and said:

"I'm from the paulding county police department , can I ask you what you are doing?"

The guy said very quickly and loudly "WE ARE GEOCACHING!"

We laughed and made new friends. :P

Edited by hockeychik.com

A good friend of mine (a geocacher ) once asked a guy in a park if he was looking for the same thing he was looking for....well my friend was looking for the cache, the other guy...well....you can figure it out...so it might NOT be best to just ask "Hey you looking for what I'm looking for..."

More then likely a GPS in the hand is usually a pretty good clue... :P

There's a cache near my house that's on a baseball field. The coordinates seem to take you to home plate...but after a while you end up in a dugout with the cache.

Since it's so close to here, I walk past it often. A couple of weeks after I found it I was walking by the field and from 2 blocks away I saw someone in the dugout looking down at their hand and doing the dance of frustration. It took me several minutes to walk across the fields over to where she was...dancing the whole time...I giggled when she tried to look inconspicuous as I got closer...when I heard her giggle too I said, "Do ya want a hint?"

She burst out laughing and said, "YES!!!! Please!!"

:P

I forget who said it, but if you learn nothing else from this forum, learn NOT to say...."are you looking for what I'm looking for?" LOL

This is especially important EXTREMELY IMPORTANT if you don't know what a 'pickle park' is. :P

Yes, and while in pickle parks, it is also rather prudent NOT to say "Did you find it yet?". One of my Psycho Urban Caches is located in the underground tunnels of an abandoned fort in a city park, but the entire park is also a pickle park, a drug park and host to a number of modern urban phenomena, including feral cats, taggers (graffitti artists), hookers, pimps, drug dealers, and a number of other things. So, while hunting Psycho Urban Cache #10 - Derelict Grunge Acropolis, it is kinda a good idea not to come out with either of the aformentioned statements!

I forget who said it, but if you learn nothing else from this forum, learn NOT to say...."are you looking for what I'm looking for?" LOL

This is especially important EXTREMELY IMPORTANT if you don't know what a 'pickle park' is. :P

Yes, and while in pickle parks, it is also rather prudent NOT to say "Did you find it yet?". One of my Psycho Urban Caches is located in the underground tunnels of an abandoned fort in a city park, but the entire park is also a pickle park, a drug park and host to a number of modern urban phenomena, including feral cats, taggers (graffitti artists), hookers, pimps, drug dealers, and a number of other things. So, while hunting Psycho Urban Cache #10 - Derelict Grunge Acropolis, it is kinda a good idea not to come out with either of the aformentioned statements!

Or for that matter Vinnie, when being approached while Geocaching at that same park with the question, "Are you looking for something?", it's probably a good idea to carefully word your response.

These were some of the funniest responses I've read!

Forget the pepsi coming out of my nose.. there is coffee all over my desk!

I'm dying to meet a fellow cacher.. I'm still quite green, and would love someone to help with the finds.. So far three that I hunted high and low for are now missing! Here I thought I just stunk at finding caches...

t

I don't know how easily "Ho! Are ye a geocacher? eh."

or

"Yay, a geocacher am I eh". will roll off of the tongue. :ninja:

It has come quite easy for me as I chat with my favourite Canukian brethren. When in the neighbourhood you have to be able to blend in with the local colour. Kind of like saying "How y'all are" when I go down there to visit that there family in Louisiana.

:P:D

So, while hunting Psycho Urban Cache #10 - Derelict Grunge Acropolis, it is kinda a good idea not to come out with either of the aformentioned statements!
Attempted a cache in downtown Tampa while there at lunch one day and coords took me into a little park area. I saw a little amphitheatre neslted in the trees where I was heading and I launched myself thru the small vine shrouded opening into the seating area.... where I immediately found that I had awakened a dozen or so homeless folks engaged in all sorts of 'activities'... my greeting was shouting extremely LOUDLY (in my head) "OH ****!" and made a quick exit without looking back. :unsure: Naw, haven't been back to snag that find.

I like the Aboreal Numericist ID card idea. Was thinking about making a fake SWFWMD (South West Florida Water Management District) ID but then I was told I could get arrested for that. Oops.

Personally I like the greeting "Did you guys see three big scruffy looking guys in orange jump suits run by here?"

or

"Yay, a geocacher am I eh". will roll off of the tongue. :ph34r:

It has come quite easy for me as I chat with my favourite Canukian brethren. When in the neighbourhood you have to be able to blend in with the local colour. Kind of like saying "How y'all are" when I go down I'm fixin' to go there to visit that there family kin in Louisiana.

:unsure::blink:

Fixed. :blink:

Edited by wimseyguy

"I'm from the paulding county police department , can I ask you what you are doing?"

We laughed and made new friends. :unsure:

This leads me to wonder: Who would earn a longer jail sentence – a forum moderator impersonating a police officer, or a police officer impersonating a forum moderator?

We laughed and made new friends. :unsure:

This leads me to wonder: Who would earn a longer jail sentence – a forum moderator impersonating a police officer, or a police officer impersonating a forum moderator?

Dang, I was thinkin' the same thang when I read that yesterday, but I couldn't think of a witty response. Domesticity must be dulling my edge. :blink::ph34r:

or

"Yay, a geocacher am I eh". will roll off of the tongue. :blink:

It has come quite easy for me as I chat with my favourite Canukian brethren. When in the neighbourhood you have to be able to blend in with the local colour. Kind of like saying "How y'all are" when I go down I'm fixin' to go there to visit that there family kin in Louisiana.

:unsure::ph34r:

And it becomes painfully obvious... you are not from Louisiana. :ph34r::huh:

Proper talk would be "We gowin' down dare to visit wit' dat' dare famly dis' weekend, ya' knaw", and you say it all as one word pretty much. You've been in NC too long my friend. :ph34r:

In Louisiana, you say "you know" at the end of almost every sentence "You lookin' for da' cache, ya' know?"

Canadians say "eh?" instead and speak much more proper -- "Are you looking for the cache, eh?"

or

Proper talk would be "We gowin' down dare to visit wit' dat' dare famly dis' weekend, ya' knaw", and you say it all as one word pretty much. You've been in NC too long my friend. :ph34r:

In Louisiana, you say "you know" at the end of almost every sentence "You lookin' for da' cache, ya' know?"

Canadians say "eh?" instead and speak much more proper -- "Are you looking for the cache, eh?"

How do the police in Paulding county say it?

or

How do the police in Paulding county say it?

"Bo-ah, you dun found yo-seff in a HEAP a trouble".

This thread sure had me laughing! Haven't run into any fellow cachers yet -so I haven't needed a greeting yet.

On the Disboards (a message board for Disney fans) they use a lime green Mickey head to be able to find others - you display that anytime you're at the parks,hotels to find other people fromt he message boards.

or

"Yay, a geocacher am I eh". will roll off of the tongue. :)

:):)

Fixed. :D

And it becomes painfully obvious... you are not from Louisiana. :angry::D

Proper talk would be "We gowin' down dare to visit wit' dat' dare famly dis' weekend, ya' knaw", and you say it all as one word pretty much. You've been in NC too long my friend. :D

I did wonder as I was typing my reply if 'fixin' was a more regional usage. But it's made for a fun thread tangent. :P

"Bo-ah, you dun found yo-seff in a HEAP a trouble".

Having once been stopped for speeding in Louisiana many moons ago I think this is just about spot on. I'd add just one more word :-

"Shoot Bo-ah, you dun found yo-seff in a HEAP a trouble"

This is a cracking thread by the way - and we're no less cagey about meeting other people here in the UK. I was asked what I was doing once by a Copper (that's a Policeman by the way) - luckily I had the electronic evidence to suggest that I was not the person he was looking for.

I've bumped into a few other cachers on my travels but I think next time I'll have to try the New Jersey Jig (or should that be New Joisey Jig?)