COINTEST: Why do *you* deserve a free coin?

ArtieD

I was reading someone's post in another thread that basically claimed that many people here do nothing but look for something for free or beg all the time for that next geocoin. I really don't think this is true, but for curiosity's sake I decided to see what would happen if this were actually true. So, this cointest I created is meant to be completely angst-free and silly.

Here goes...the rules are quite simple:

Tell me why you deserve to win this cointest. I want to hear a good story...lie to me, beg to your heart's content, tell me a great sob story and above all what makes you more worthy than anyone else here to win one of my geocoins!

Make your story really good. The winner shall be chosen by my wife and stepson, Trillian and Young Zaphod.

The cointest will run until 10 p.m. Central Time.

If there are two equally compelling stories we just might award another geocoin to another master at begging storytelling.

Good luck! :(

I was reading someone's post in another thread that basically claimed that many people here do nothing but look for something for free or beg all the time for that next geocoin. I really don't think this is true, but for curiosity's sake I decided to see what would happen if this were actually true. So, this cointest I created is meant to be completely angst-free and silly.

Here goes...the rules are quite simple:

Tell me why you deserve to win this cointest. I want to hear a good story...lie to me, beg to your heart's content, tell me a great sob story and above all what makes you more worthy than anyone else here to win one of my geocoins!

Make your story really good. The winner shall be chosen by my wife and stepson, Trillian and Young Zaphod.

The cointest will run until 10 p.m. Central Time.

If there are two equally compelling stories we just might award another geocoin to another master at begging storytelling.

Good luck! :D

b/c I was first to respond :(

My story, errr truth, err real life tale. Well, I am typing this story on an old commodore 64. It's all I could salvage out of a trash bin. I try and geocache but I don't have a GPS. I live in a really small house...really small. I have 1,...err 13 mouths to feed. One day when I was at an event a cacher showed me geocoins. I was only at the event for the free food. I remember that day so vivdly, it was raining, I mean sunny, and the glare of the sun off those beautiful shiny geoocins nearly blinded me. I was in complete awe. I bowed at this cacher's feet and asked how I could get some coins like that. He laughed en evil laugh at me and slammed the book closed. I also remembe this sooo vividly because my nose was caught in between the pages. Needless to say it didn't make for a pretty site. I begged him for 1, just 1 geocoin. He refused and scoffed at me. He told me if I want geocoins to go to the geocoin forum and look for magical threads called cointests...then if I was worthy enough I would get my wish. So here I am. with a banged up nose still....can't afford plastic surgery to fix it. So please end my suffering and award me a geocoin.

Umm... cuz we's po' folks here in Sweden, danged polar bears keep wandering the streets and eating our pets, the Fins keep coming here and drinking our vodka and the Norwegians think we're only here to be joked about....

I don't wanna be a crybaby about it, though, so I just wanna win the coin so we's can get ussuns here in Sweden a common premium membership and share it! Can't afford it, so thought we'd try ta win and then sell it on that fancy-schmancy auction place and use that money to buy a premium membership so we can have a fun title under our name, too!

I guess I will disqualify myself because I don't believe that anyone DESERVES a free coin.

Most people on this part of the board are generous and find pleasure in giving coins to others - be they in missions, or cointests, or as mystery coin givers...or sometimes even just as friends doing something nice for someone they care about.

I understand this thread was posted as a jest and maybe even as a way we can all make fun of ourselves just a little bit for letting our addictions sometimes get the better of us (and FWIW, I include myself in this category too). But something about this is making me uncomfortable and yes, I could have and probably should have just not posted anything at all....but....I just want to say to those of you out there who really do give with an open heart that you are appreciated by me. When I post in a cointest or mission, it's not with the mindset that I deserve anything. It's just fun and a nice way to get to know people here a bit better and whether or not I wind up with a coin is beside the point entirely.

So thank you. :(

I guess I will disqualify myself because I don't believe that anyone DESERVES a free coin.

Most people on this part of the board are generous and find pleasure in giving coins to others - be they in missions, or cointests, or as mystery coin givers...or sometimes even just as friends doing something nice for someone they care about.

I understand this thread was posted as a jest and maybe even as a way we can all make fun of ourselves just a little bit for letting our addictions sometimes get the better of us (and FWIW, I include myself in this category too). But something about this is making me uncomfortable and yes, I could have and probably should have just not posted anything at all....but....I just want to say to those of you out there who really do give with an open heart that you are appreciated by me. When I post in a cointest or mission, it's not with the mindset that I deserve anything. It's just fun and a nice way to get to know people here a bit better and whether or not I wind up with a coin is beside the point entirely.

So thank you. :D

Inventive post...you just might be in the running! :(

Edited by Arthur & Trillian

Well Here it is and this is a true story. I am a heavy equipment mechanic in Michigan. Though the economy is bad nationwide, Michigan's is in the dirt. Last year I got laid off from the equipment place I was with and did the unemployment thing for a couple months until I got a job to get by on. The new job paid signifigantly less than where I was laid off from so it was check to check and falling behind for over a year. Then, much to my surprise I got called back to the old job. I went back and was at one class higher than when I left so that meant even another dollar or so per hour. We have spent the last almost year getting caught up since I was making good money again. We weren't able to save because we have been paying our way out of the hole. Well 5 weeks ago tomorrow I got laid off AGAIN! Because we have been able to save we have no extra money. Our bills are rounded to $3000 / month and Unemployment rounds to $1500 / month. Last month we paid what will likely be the last house payment as we are preparing to walk away from our house, as is happening a lot around here. We will be moving in with my mother and paying rent. This will hopefully free up enough money to pay bills. My Lay off was not supposed to exceed 3 weeks and when I call there is no sign of a turn around, so I have began to look for work, but in this economy recruiters want top experience for sub standard pay and I just don't know what we are going to do. Through all of this there is one thing that gives us joy and that is Geocaching and Geocoins. We are the type of people that never ask for freebies... it just isn't our style. For some reason we aren't the type of people that just get handed freebies. We often sit back and watch as others get handed things and we just sigh and think, "it is nice that they have such good friends." Well as it turns out so do we. Last Friday I was asked to go on a cache outing and not asked to split gas. Saturday we took a friend to an event with us and it was insisted that we take $20 bucks for gas. (this was the guy that took me out Friday) Monday I was invited to drive to Ohio for an outing and he only asked for a personal coin in exchange for gas money which I gladly did. And now I was invited again to go to Ohio again for anoter number run and not expected to give gas money. Also yesterday out of the blue we were given a Mardis Gras Guys group progect coin by our good friends Teammaddog and was told by another group of good friends that we were among the select few they were going to give one of theirs to.

This being said, in light of our recent fortune I wouldn't care to be included in consideration. With our recent fortune, it wouldn't be fair. I just thought it would be a good thread to share the story. I look forward to seeing some of the posts on this one.

We "deserve" it as a congratulations present!

Grandbaby #2 was born just 2 weeks ago.

Actually its the poor little baby that needs it, he is starting life off named Henry. No offense to any of you Henrys out there its just kinda hard to call a little baby Henry!

Well...no fairytales from me! I will say things as they are! I hope this is ok!

Iam coin addict, I admit it! Since I am a coin and banknote collector, I love coins etc! I mostly collest circulated cheap coin for the fun, and in banknotes...I am trying to find at least one cheap banknote, no matter condition, for every country that exists or existed! I can only affort cheap notes! Well...at least I can keep my hobby!:(

Ok, this have nothing to do with geocoins, but everythig started from there!

While I was searching in ebay to find if there was a cheap greek coin or banknote I didn't have, I fell on an auction of something like a medallion that had as title: First Greek geocoin 2007!!! The coin was unbelievably beautiful! the design was similar to a greek coin, and it was a colored one! I never had a chance ot own a coin with colors! Not even the 25C of Canada! :D

Anyway...I just wanted to have one of those, and place it with my other Greek coins, as a kind of local coin, in my collection!

I started searching for info about the coin and...here I am! :D

Yes! I have one of those coins! I have the version that was only for the Greek geocachers! Itis quite rare, just because we are not many!

I think the mintage is 50, but I have only seen antique gold, antique silver, antique coppe and black nickel versions! well...the greek version is the polished silver! :D

I love coins and I love geocaching! It is like the treasure hunt game I used to play whrn I was a kid! Now in my 33, I can still be a kid! :D

I like posting in the foroum, I love cointests, and why not wins some coins! Till now, luck was fair to me! Yes, I won some! I was quite lucky!

The best thing that happent was that I met even with posts many great people! People that I wouldn't met without cointests or other posts here!

I saw here in the foroum, kindness, generosity, happyness, all the magic stuff that makes people feel great! I found the way to see things in even more possitive way!

I started believing in fairies, I saw mustery things and agents of kindness... Isn't all that great?

I am posting a lot, mostly for the fun, so I can talk with other people from around the world...from places that I might not have chances to visit, and it is a good way to practice my English! they got some rust so.. :D

I do not know if I deserve this coin! I really mean that! As I said, I am doing it mostly for the fun!

About geocoins...yes! If I am winning something of course I am very happy!

I hate to say it but I can not affort buying many coins right now! I am without a job for some time, and things are... :(

Here in Greece, itis not what you know, but who you know, to get a desent job! I hope you understand what I mean my friends! :D

Well, I do not have a big collection of geocoins etc, so.. :D

Well...I really hope that things will be better soon! :D

That's all my friend! I do not know if my post actually deseves a coin! Iti s up to you!

I just places my reality! :o

Well Here it is and this is a true story. I am a heavy equipment mechanic in Michigan. Though the economy is bad nationwide, Michigan's is in the dirt. Last year I got laid off from the equipment place I was with and did the unemployment thing for a couple months until I got a job to get by on. The new job paid signifigantly less than where I was laid off from so it was check to check and falling behind for over a year. Then, much to my surprise I got called back to the old job. I went back and was at one class higher than when I left so that meant even another dollar or so per hour. We have spent the last almost year getting caught up since I was making good money again. We weren't able to save because we have been paying our way out of the hole. Well 5 weeks ago tomorrow I got laid off AGAIN! Because we have been able to save we have no extra money. Our bills are rounded to $3000 / month and Unemployment rounds to $1500 / month. Last month we paid what will likely be the last house payment as we are preparing to walk away from our house, as is happening a lot around here. We will be moving in with my mother and paying rent. This will hopefully free up enough money to pay bills. My Lay off was not supposed to exceed 3 weeks and when I call there is no sign of a turn around, so I have began to look for work, but in this economy recruiters want top experience for sub standard pay and I just don't know what we are going to do. Through all of this there is one thing that gives us joy and that is Geocaching and Geocoins. We are the type of people that never ask for freebies... it just isn't our style. For some reason we aren't the type of people that just get handed freebies. We often sit back and watch as others get handed things and we just sigh and think, "it is nice that they have such good friends." Well as it turns out so do we. Last Friday I was asked to go on a cache outing and not asked to split gas. Saturday we took a friend to an event with us and it was insisted that we take $20 bucks for gas. (this was the guy that took me out Friday) Monday I was invited to drive to Ohio for an outing and he only asked for a personal coin in exchange for gas money which I gladly did. And now I was invited again to go to Ohio again for anoter number run and not expected to give gas money. Also yesterday out of the blue we were given a Mardis Gras Guys group progect coin by our good friends Teammaddog and was told by another group of good friends that we were among the select few they were going to give one of theirs to.

This being said, in light of our recent fortune I wouldn't care to be included in consideration. With our recent fortune, it wouldn't be fair. I just thought it would be a good thread to share the story. I look forward to seeing some of the posts on this one.

Send me your address and I'll send you a free coin!! :(

Edited by Droo

1) Because I employee a rather large, voracious and testy dragon to guard my hoard of coins and everybody knows dragons don't work for free. :D

2) Because I threw 3 geocoins as FTF and STF prizes into new caches we set out last week and the previously mentioned dragon isn't letting me anywhere near my beloved collection right now :(

Edited by fox-and-the-hound

I am going to disqualify myself too (and I mean really disqualify, not like a double bluff to be considered for a freebie anyway). I don't think my or anyone's personal dramas should be 'exploited' to get a free coin. The people who would most deserve to get a pat on their back probably don't have the time to hang around on the internet to beg for a free geocoin. They are probably too busy making ends meet and trying to overcome setbacks.

Well I personally don't want to beg and plead, however, I would love to have you see it in your heart to consider my wife, Scatterbrain Cutie, as is the best person to give it to (in my opinion). She gives all she can and asks for nothing in return... unfortunatly she's down hard with a migrane right now... I'm hoping that she feels better soon, and that you would consider a coin for her... she really does love this sport and she just ADORES geocoins!!!

Thanx for considering

How about I tell everybody why I don't deserve a free coin instead?

Because about a year and a half ago, I had this kinda cool idea that I would make a very special and limited version of my personal coin, and sent it out as a gift to people who did nice things for others.

I didn't believe in selling my own coin for a profit, so I asked the recipients to please not sell it as well. No signed contract in blood or anything, just a kind of handshake goodwill gesture that isn't all that unreasonable considering that it's just a coin, and the piddly amount of profit you could raise off of it really couldn't go very far to solve any of life's problems anyway.

So, 100% of the people I sent these coins to were appreciative. That made me all warm and fuzzy inside. I like feeling warm and fuzzy inside sometimes because it really helps to balance out the violent rage I experience when some 20-something rink-rat punk slashes my ankle, and I feel compelled to cross-check him into his own goalie.

So anyways, a few days later, one of the recipients posted that they'd really like to get the "publicly known" version of my coin. That also made me feel warm and fuzzy inside, because it's really flattering and humbling when someone enjoys what you do.

A few weeks went by, and that person continued posting innocently...yet frequently...about how much they wanted my coin. Then I started getting e-mails from other forum folks asking if I'd please be so kind as to send that person a coin because they were so nice, and they really deserved one, and they would also feel warm and fuzzy inside.

The problem was that person didn't seem to wish to tell anyone that they already had one of my coins, which perhaps could have changed a few people's opinions, dontcha think?

And so it evolved into one of the most maddening and bizarre dilemmas I think I've experienced since I got whacked over the head with a golf club at an after-prom party in '87. At one point, I was receiving a few of these e-mails a day, from seemingly very nice people, but I just couldn't respond to all of them. Anyone that knows me, knows that I'm not always the quickest to respond to e-mails because life gets in the way of geo-anything. So, the e-mails start piling up, and when I get around to reading them, some folks started to get frustrated that I hadn't responded, and some actually got rude about my apparent "lack of caring".

At this point, I've become very frustrated with this situation, because the person's still posting that their "heart's desire" is one of my coins, and here I am still getting hit with requests and saltiness on their behalf.

So I finally spoke up about my special edition coin and explained that this person already had one of my coins, and that although I thought their constant posting was flattering, it was essentially misleading to people, and that it was generating a surge of support/sympathy that was turning ugly behind the scenes.

Well then that person said they were publicly embarrassed, and pledged (dramatically, in the forums) that they would no longer "desire" one of my coins. In fact, they also said (in the forums) that they didn't want the one they had anymore since they were so upset by the situation. Many of those same supporters then blamed me for making this person so upset! Some months later, they were apparently still so upset by this, they didn't wish to even see that coin any longer... so they put it on eBay. How vengeful a thing to do by such a nice person. Oh, and then to take the cake...that person's new group of sympathizers also starts putting my coins on eBay in some sort of cliquey protest. First vengeful, then immature.

And here I am, the one being labeled as a meanie.

And why?

Because I made coins and gave them away?

Because I asked that they not be sold?

Because I defended myself from hate mail?

Because I actually tried to do something nice for a few people?

Because one person's personal problems spilled over onto the forums and I apparently wasn't sympathetic enough to send them a free coin...even though I already had...

God forbid someone tries to do something special out of their own pockets to bring a smile to a few faces...and they have the audacity to ask that you just keep the silly coin and smile quietly to yourself knowing somebody appreciated you and thought you were nice.

Nah, I don't deserve a free coin because I'm just that horrible of a meanie. In fact, I'm such a non-appreciative meanie that I'll just turn around and put that gift on eBay so that I can make a few bucks to pay for a new hockey stick...because I broke the old one over some punk's helmet.

*bow*

Because I'm new, and probably have fewer coins than anyone that posts before or after me. :P

I'll be honest though, I don't feel I *deserve* a free coin, I would *appreciate* a free coin. In fact, there have been a couple very kind people that have sent me a coin. I was so excited when I opened the package and saw it. The generosity of the people here simply amazes me.

I am not however, below begging. So, I present myself to you on my humble knees, begging for the coin. If win, I will be so very appreciative, and will definitely pay it forward once I have some spare coins.

And, as a pre-thanks, I give to you a beautiful photo that was taken by yours truly, you know, in case it helps my chances :D

2428589758_1367a1be6e.jpg

Because about a year and a half ago, I had this kinda cool idea that I would make a very special and limited version of my personal coin, and sent it out as a gift to people who did nice things for others.

I didn't believe in selling my own coin for a profit, so I asked the recipients to please not sell it as well. No signed contract in blood or anything, just a kind of handshake goodwill gesture that isn't all that unreasonable considering that it's just a coin, and the piddly amount of profit you could raise off of it really couldn't go very far to solve any of life's problems anyway.

So, 100% of the people I sent these coins to were appreciative. That made me all warm and fuzzy inside. I like feeling warm and fuzzy inside sometimes because it really helps to balance out the violent rage I experience when some 20-something rink-rat punk slashes my ankle, and I feel compelled to cross-check him into his own goalie.

So anyways, a few days later, one of the recipients posted that they'd really like to get the "publicly known" version of my coin. That also made me feel warm and fuzzy inside, because it's really flattering and humbling when someone enjoys what you do.

A few weeks went by, and that person continued posting innocently...yet frequently...about how much they wanted my coin. Then I started getting e-mails from other forum folks asking if I'd please be so kind as to send that person a coin because they were so nice, and they really deserved one, and they would also feel warm and fuzzy inside.

The problem was that person didn't seem to wish to tell anyone that they already had one of my coins, which perhaps could have changed a few people's opinions, dontcha think?

And so it evolved into one of the most maddening and bizarre dilemmas I think I've experienced since I got whacked over the head with a golf club at an after-prom party in '87. At one point, I was receiving a few of these e-mails a day, from seemingly very nice people, but I just couldn't respond to all of them. Anyone that knows me, knows that I'm not always the quickest to respond to e-mails because life gets in the way of geo-anything. So, the e-mails start piling up, and when I get around to reading them, some folks started to get frustrated that I hadn't responded, and some actually got rude about my apparent "lack of caring".

At this point, I've become very frustrated with this situation, because the person's still posting that their "heart's desire" is one of my coins, and here I am still getting hit with requests and saltiness on their behalf.

So I finally spoke up about my special edition coin and explained that this person already had one of my coins, and that although I thought their constant posting was flattering, it was essentially misleading to people, and that it was generating a surge of support/sympathy that was turning ugly behind the scenes.

Well then that person said they were publicly embarrassed, and pledged (dramatically, in the forums) that they would no longer "desire" one of my coins. In fact, they also said (in the forums) that they didn't want the one they had anymore since they were so upset by the situation. Many of those same supporters then blamed me for making this person so upset! Some months later, they were apparently still so upset by this, they didn't wish to even see that coin any longer... so they put it on eBay. How vengeful a thing to do by such a nice person. Oh, and then to take the cake...that person's new group of sympathizers also starts putting my coins on eBay in some sort of cliquey protest. First vengeful, then immature.

And why?

Because one person's personal problems spilled over onto the forums and I apparently wasn't sympathetic enough to send them a free coin...even though I already had...

God forbid someone tries to do something special out of their own pockets to bring a smile to a few faces...and they have the audacity to ask that you just keep the silly coin and smile quietly to yourself knowing somebody appreciated you and thought you were nice.

Nah, I don't deserve a free coin because I'm just that horrible of a meanie. In fact, I'm such a non-appreciative meanie that I'll just turn around and put that gift on eBay so that I can make a few bucks to pay for a new hockey stick...because I broke the old one over some punk's helmet.

*bow*

Wow, well said. *clap*clap*clap*clap*

Well here is mine.

Money, what is Money? Late last year my work cut me down to 1 day a week and with the economy the way it is I have not been able to find other work. Go to someplace hiring and it has lines like a Star Wars movie first showing and that is for 1 job. I do love those shinny little Geocoins and I am addicted to them. I have not been able to purchase one in many months and now I am going into withdraws. I could use one to help fend off the withdraws for a few months.

Thanks for listing to me.

kf4oox - Paul

And why?

*bow*

This was my favorite post so far.

What a story! Kind of makes you cheer for global warming and other population limiting phenomena.

And why?

*bow*

Oh!!! I am sorry my friend for all that! well all these happent before I even get to know the game and registered....

Can I ask you something? Sorry if my question looks stupid.... as I can see from your avantar, your personal coin is a lemon! I have seen one in a photo, but never from close! :D

It is very beautiful, and according to what I have seen in the foroum, it is quite famous!!!!!!

I just do not understand why it is Yemon and not lemon? I am sure it is something funny like the Citrus ridiculous thing :P , but....

Deserving? Not I!

I am sometimes lazy, always opinionated, and stubborn. I am not deserving!

If I felt I was deserving, complying with the principle of this thread would mean that I must "toot my own horn". That, I cannot do, for I am also ever so humble. :P ( and my wife laughs!)

I think 57Chevy deserves a coin because he is sheeple. Baaa! Long live sheeple! We rule!

But back to me....I dont deserve a coin. I dont want a coin. Coins dont interest me in the slightest. I dont beg for coins because begging is beneath me. People give me things voluntarily because they recognise that I am sheeple....and I graciously accept those gifts.

Geocoins bore me. I wouldn't want them. I certainly wouldn't spend thousands of dollars on them, and hoard them in little binders and boxes like some people do. I wouldn't spend most of my days surfing geocoin shops and ebay and geocoin forums, and talking endlessly via email and Yahoo Messenger and Geocoindesign Chat and Facebook to geocoiners.

I definitely wouldn't have over 50 geocoiner 'friends' on Facebook who I 'gift' Moun10bike coins to on a regular basis. That would be sad. That would be pathetic. That would be embarassing. That would be........

~Me

Because I have to wade through this crap to find any real discussions about GeoCoins.

Wasn't there a woe is me, life stinks post a few of months ago? One that resulted in the OP being on the receiving end of NUMEROUS "Get Well Soon" Gifts! :D

:P NUMEROUS? You mean the tongue in cheek thread that resulted in less than 3 coins being sent, and the people sending them being told BEFORE sending them that the thread was tongue in cheek? And those coins becoming a donation to an event instead of a person? Yeah I remember that thread. It sure was sad.

Less than three? That is outrageous! I always tell people not to bother sending me gifts if they are too cheap to include more than 5 coins in a mailer. Like I can be bothered to walk to my mailbox and get the scissors out for only 1 or 2 lousy coins.

Because I have to wade through this crap to find any real discussions about GeoCoins.

Wasn't there a woe is me, life stinks post a few of months ago? One that resulted in the OP being on the receiving end of NUMEROUS "Get Well Soon" Gifts! :D

:P NUMEROUS? You mean the tongue in cheek thread that resulted in less than 3 coins being sent, and the people sending them being told BEFORE sending them that the thread was tongue in cheek? And those coins becoming a donation to an event instead of a person? Yeah I remember that thread. It sure was sad.

Edited by kdv