[Request] Pocket Query Difficulty Levels

bhoard

This is minor, but I've encountered a possible site usability problems a few times over now. When selecting attributes for difficulty and terrain while setting up a Pocket Query, it seems the default setting is assumed to be "less than or equal to" when, in fact, it is defaulted to the opposite.

If the community agrees, could the default for this setting be reversed to "less than or equal to"? My feeling is that the setting is most commonly used by travelers who are visiting a particular area, and have no time for 5/5 adventure caches and extremely lengthy hikes. That being said, the group that is interested in such caches should be able to switch the setting, much as the hypothetical majority flip it to "less than" now.

Anyway, just an observation I thought I would share.

-bhoard

This is minor, but I've encountered a possible site usability problems a few times over now. When selecting attributes for difficulty and terrain while setting up a Pocket Query, it seems the default setting is assumed to be "less than or equal to" when, in fact, it is defaulted to the opposite.

If the community agrees, could the default for this setting be reversed to "less than or equal to"? My feeling is that the setting is most commonly used by travelers who are visiting a particular area, and have no time for 5/5 adventure caches and extremely lengthy hikes. That being said, the group that is interested in such caches should be able to switch the setting, much as the hypothetical majority flip it to "less than" now.

Anyway, just an observation I thought I would share.

-bhoard

Doesn't bother me either way, but I think the thinking on it is just the opposite. I think there are probably more cachers who want to eliminate the "1/1" gaches in favor of those more chalenging.

Just my opinion - add a dollar to it and you can buy a cup of coffee :(

Assumed by who? It says right on the page "greater than or equal to". I pretty much assume it to actually mean what it says.

You're also making the assumption that PQs are mostly used by travelers. I highly doubt that's true. I would guess that a lot of people who are sick of LPCs use it to filter any D1T1 micros.

Sounds like somebody hasn't previewed his PQ. :(

My habit for pocket queries is to preview it before I actually run it. That way, I can check to make sure that I haven't completely loused something up.

And yes, I have still missed an error or two, but most of the time I fix it before it runs.

It was only a suggestion, based on some anecdotal evidence I've gathered from other cachers in my area -- didn't mean to insult anyone's usage of the PQ feature, and I realize I probably could have explained my suggestion better than I did, particularly with respect to the origins of my assertions.

I still feel that the GT users are probably fewer than the LT users, but I'll just concede the point.

PRIME, the "assumption" is for the default selection on the PQ setup to be initially set to LT, and not to GT, not that the wording is ambiguous. The problem only comes in with folks not reading what's on the PQ, but in development one might try to setup default form options to reflect the most common user settings -- that is, when folks don't notice a particular setting, then the default is more appropriate to what they are likely to have wanted initially anyway.

Again, I'm not going to debate whether there are more GT or LT queries -- Groundspeak has that data, and we don't. My feeling about the most common setting before was just my general instinct on the subject, and I may be incorrect. Anything beyond this is simply conjecture, and PRIME is exactly right -- we can't just assume. Groundspeak can read this post and make their own evaluation, as they have access to view the global settings of PQ's for all of geocaching.com's premium members.

Again, this was just a suggestion for Grounspeak, and I didn't intend to stir up such controversy.

Edited by bhoard