Geocaching at a Day Camp

Followers 0

Hi, I wanted to start a geocaching program at the day camp I work at. We would have about 30-45 minutes once or twice a week to meet with interested children, and do activities with them. I just want some ideas on what to do other than hunting for a geocache, also the camp just purchased 14 garmin gekos.

Hi, I wanted to start a geocaching program at the day camp I work at. We would have about 30-45 minutes once or twice a week to meet with interested children, and do activities with them. I just want some ideas on what to do other than hunting for a geocache, also the camp just purchased 14 garmin gekos.

You want to start a geocaching program but you don't want to hunt a cache? HUH?

I suggest a map and compass course that helps kids understand the idea behind latitude and longitude. Somehting maybe a bit closer to letterboxing.

sorry can you clarify:

1. is the session time 45 min long or is that the total time you are with them?
  2. Is it the same kids every week?
  3. what are the age ranges of the kids?

the reasons for the questions are :

1. If you have only 45 min total it isnt very long to even hunt for a cache considering travel time to cache, hunting time travel time back and the very important breif of what you are actualy doing.

2. If it is the same kids every week then you can gradualy build up to going hunting by first introducing them to a gps device, show them the different types of navagation and build up skills like map reading which the can use in conjunction with the gps.

3. this ultimatly decides the content of the activitys as if it is realy young people i doubt they will sit still long enough for a talk on latitude/ longditude.

Activitys other than "hunting for a geocache" are:

.split the group into 2 teams, sett off on seperate hikes of roughly 30 min and race against each other

. groups routes between geocaches for next meeting

. one team setts of with maps the other with gps and first one to find the cache wins

Hope this helps ;)

Followers 0