Windows based PDA/cell phones

salz69

Currently I'm using a Garmin 60Csx, and an old Palm IIIxe PDA loaded with smittyware.com's CacheMate program. This system really seems to work well, but I've dropped the Palm in the puddles too often. I've had 4 of them in the last year (cheap on eBay- approx $15 ea.). I'm on my last one, but I noticed that I'm due for a cell phone upgrade (Verizon). I'm mulling over the Palm Treo so I can use the familiar CacheMate program, but it's kinda bulky. My question is about Windows based PDA's like the Glyde, or some other sleek, cool slick working PDA. What kind of programs can you use for these systems? Would you use a program like what is in your home computer like EasyGPS, or GeoBuddy? The Colorado 300 is slightly still in the picture, so I wouldn't need the PDA, but several of my friends have them and I'm not sure if the extra cost is justified yet, and the 60Csx still works perfectly. I'd appreciate any input. Thanks!

Lee :D

Edited by salz69

I use the Sprint version of the Verizon VX6800. I use BeeLine GPS, it does everything I need it to do. I even use my phone when hunting for a cache instead of a dedicated GPS, so you would be able to hunt on the spur of the moment when you leave your Garimin behind.

I use the Sprint version of the Verizon VX6800. I use BeeLine GPS, it does everything I need it to do. I even use my phone when hunting for a cache instead of a dedicated GPS, so you would be able to hunt on the spur of the moment when you leave your Garimin behind.

how accurate is it? Ive read a lot of people saying a phone isnt nearly as accurate as a dedicated handheld, but then ive heard both ways.. does it work just as well as a handheld?

I have the same phone (Sprint Mogul) and use GeoScout. Beeline is nice too. I took it out yesterday just for the purpose of comparing it with my Garmin 60csx. On one cache the Garmin said I was ~4 feet away, the phone with GeoScout said I was 2.8 yrds away, which was inside the fence on the outfield of a ballpark. The Garmin was more accurate, but the phone would definitely get me in the right area. One thing I did not like is that the phone screen is hard to see in bright sunlight. Might be the screen protector I have on there though....

In a pinch the phone with work and get you close.

Edit to add: I am guessing the difference in accuracy is due to the Garmin having the SirfIII chip - ie high sensitivity chip that the phone does not have.

Edited by MorganCoke

I have the same phone (Sprint Mogul) and use GeoScout. Beeline is nice too. I took it out yesterday just for the purpose of comparing it with my Garmin 60csx. On one cache the Garmin said I was ~4 feet away, the phone with GeoScout said I was 2.8 yrds away, which was inside the fence on the outfield of a ballpark. The Garmin was more accurate, but the phone would definitely get me in the right area. One thing I did not like is that the phone screen is hard to see in bright sunlight. Might be the screen protector I have on there though....

In a pinch the phone with work and get you close.

Edit to add: I am guessing the difference in accuracy is due to the Garmin having the SirfIII chip - ie high sensitivity chip that the phone does not have.

I am really new to geocaching, started with a dell axim, now using an AT&T Tilt with GPX sonar, beeline gps and mapopolis. I cannot find mapopolis maps anymore, but I use my holux gpslim 236 that I had for my dell, and the sirfIII chip is awsome, talk about eyes in the sky! I dont use the phone's gps for geo, just for navigation. The gpslim fits in my pocket easily, 1/3rd the size of my phone. One hell of a combination, now if I could figure out this google maps thing too.