MicroSD card garmin 60/76csx

Garmin's website says largest card to be used is 2GB:

Q. What is the largest size microSD card that I can use in my X-series GPS unit?

A. At this time, the 2 GB cards are the largest microSD cards that can be used for the X-series GPS units. However, the X-series GPS units are not compatible with the San Disk Ultra II cards and we do not recommend using the Ultra II micro SD cards with any of the X units.

I have a 60csx running firmware version 3.60. I've got a SanDisk 4gb microsdhc card installed and working perfectly. No formatting required. I've got about 500mb of City Navigator and Topo 24k maps installed and working, and I'm recording and downloading .gpx track data from the card with no problems.

According to other posts, even though a 4gb card "works," it is not fully functional. The 60csx won't display maps (not even partially) if you install more than 2gb or 2025 segment of map data on the card. But, the remaining 2gb can still be used in other ways. It can store additional .gpx data if you are logging tracks to the card, and you can always upload any type of files you want (pictures, music, whatever) to the card in mass storage mode (of course, the device can't read them).

I cannot confirm the map storage limitation because I have not tried to exceed the limits, but it has been confirmed by other posters. I wonder why these limitations would exist?

Edited by bmirak