Do we need separate forum(s) for Cointests and/or Missions?

UncleJimbo

This is getting boring. It's the same person saying he is right and everyone else is wrong. It seems like no one is aloud their own opinon but one person cause everyone elses opinon don't count.

What's wrong? Can't handle people actually discussing for a solution instead of fighting the whole time. Sorry it's not that interesting to you.

As for the one person, you really should do your homework before opening your mouth so as to not come off as, well you get the point. There have been over 250 posts by at least 58 different people. Yeah that is really one sided now isn't it!

If you are really that bored, maybe you could come up with ideas to help rather than just post to complain and try to take away from the progress that people are trying to make. Thanks for understanding. Sorry if I might miss your next couple well thought out posts though as I am going to continue trying to come up with a solution that will make the majority of the people here happy. Have a great day though.

Edited by pghlooking

Since it seems that TPTB might be looking at this thread (or at least that Eartha is looking at it), I will toss out my suggestion for how I would suggest the forums be organized.

Under "Geocaching Hitchhikers", currently there are two sub-forums: "The Travel Bug" and "Geocoin Discussions".

I would suggest expanding these sub-forums as follows:

The Travel Bug -- no change

Geocoin General Discussions -- random catch all topics, including Cointests

Geocoin Announcements -- discuss new coins, possible coins, etc. (i.e., talk about coins themselves)

Geocoin Trading -- move the currently pinned topic here, and also put Missions here (since Missions are a form of trading).

Names could perhaps be refined, but you get the idea, I hope.

A nice start but this might be a little too specific. Besides, it's already thought to be that cointests would fall into the area with missions. What if you...

The Travel Bug - No Change

General Geocoin Discussions - All purpose Geocoin Discussions

Geocoin Commmunity Corner - Cointests, Missions, pinned trading thread

Since it seems that TPTB might be looking at this thread (or at least that Eartha is looking at it), I will toss out my suggestion for how I would suggest the forums be organized.

Under "Geocaching Hitchhikers", currently there are two sub-forums: "The Travel Bug" and "Geocoin Discussions".

Geocoin Announcements -- discuss new coins, possible coins, etc. (i.e., talk about coins themselves)

Geocoin Trading -- move the currently pinned topic here, and also put Missions here (since Missions are a form of trading).

A nice start but this might be a little too specific. Besides, it's already thought to be that cointests would fall into the area with missions. What if you...

I have not seen much mention that Missions are thought to fall into the same area as Cointests.

Missions are really trading activities. Cointests are just fun contests, not even terribly "geocoin-related" in many cases, except for the geocoin prize (you could just as easily have a "TB-test", for example, with a TB as the prize).

Still, your suggested split would be an improvement over what we have now, IMO.

I have not seen much mention that Missions are thought to fall into the same area as Cointests.

Missions are really trading activities. Cointests are just fun contests, not even terribly "geocoin-related" in many cases, except for the geocoin prize (you could just as easily have a "TB-test", for example, with a TB as the prize).

Still, your suggested split would be an improvement over what we have now, IMO.

It splits it based on activities. Keep the buying, producing, creating, and such lumped together and keep the trading, sending, and games together. It seems this is the biggest difference between the two main thoughts of coins and would best serve the group as a whole.

I second that!! It's basically what I was thinking too.

Yes, each Mission would have its own thread, and there would be multiple trading threads (not just one gigantic mixed up thread like there is now), in my scenario.

I'm not exactly sure if you mean a thread for each trade request but if so, I think that would get pretty unruly too. I'm getting used to the pinned trade thread now so personally I thought it was okay but I can see where it could probably be improved as well.

You people are making this way harder than necessary. So far, people have been labeling the cointests and the like and it works. Don't want to read a thread? Don't click on it.

Why on Earth do we need separate sections?

Face it...without cointests this forum would grind to a halt semi-frequently. There's only so many coins coming out and so many questions being asked. I'm sorry, but it seems that many people too lazy to use their index finger and scroll past topics they don't want to see.

I did some checking...and I think the results are telling:

On the first five pages of the geocoin forum there are 33 threads (open and locked) that deal with either cointests or missions out of 250 total threads.

33 out of 250...that means only 13% of the threads deal with cointests.

Now tell me...how does 13% ruin a forum?

:D

It splits it based on activities. Keep the buying, producing, creating, and such lumped together and keep the trading, sending, and games together. It seems this is the biggest difference between the two main thoughts of coins and would best serve the group as a whole.

In your eyes perhaps.

This is getting boring. It's the same person saying he is right and everyone else is wrong. It seems like no one is aloud their own opinon but one person cause everyone elses opinon don't count.

If you're bored, try reading other threads.

I'm hoping, by leaving this thread open, to get some new posters in here, to add to the discussion. Otherwise, I think I have all the information I need. If your post is not going to contribute to the discussion, then please, think about not posting it. I'm trying to "separate the chaff from the wheat" as someone said, and posts that are not pertinent are not helping.

The people I want to discuss this with are not available at this time, so I will not have any answers for days and days. Even then, it doesn't mean we'll come up with one that everyone will agree on. I know that already from reading this thread. We can't make all the people happy all the time. Just remember. These are the geocoin forums, and they will remain as such, about geocoins no matter what happens. They might not change at all, other than the title changes. I don't know. I'm just collecting opinions. It's not my website, I just volunteer here.

What's wrong? Can't handle people actually discussing for a solution instead of fighting the whole time. Sorry it's not that interesting to you.

As for the one person, you really should do your homework before opening your mouth so as to not come off as, well you get the point. There have been over 250 posts by at least 58 different people. Yeah that is really one sided now isn't it!

If you are really that bored, maybe you could come up with ideas to help rather than just post to complain and try to take away from the progress that people are trying to make. Thanks for understanding. Sorry if I might miss your next couple well thought out posts though as I am going to continue trying to come up with a solution that will make the majority of the people here happy. Have a great day though.

Here's a great idea. Just leave it the way it is. If a thread doesn't interest you the don't click on it. What did I come off as? It was just my opinion. I'm glad you can take it upon yourself to let everyone sleep well at night with your well thought out ideas. Keep up the good work.

In your eyes perhaps.

Of course it's my opinion silly. Didn't you see my name before my post with my words? It's not like I was logged in under someone else's name pretending to be them and saying things. You crack me up.

You people are making this way harder than necessary. So far, people have been labeling the cointests and the like and it works. Don't want to read a thread? Don't click on it.

Why on Earth do we need separate sections?

Face it...without cointests this forum would grind to a halt semi-frequently. There's only so many coins coming out and so many questions being asked. I'm sorry, but it seems that many people too lazy to use their index finger and scroll past topics they don't want to see.

I did some checking...and I think the results are telling:

On the first five pages of the geocoin forum there are 33 threads (open and locked) that deal with either cointests or missions out of 250 total threads.

33 out of 250...that means only 13% of the threads deal with cointests.

Now tell me...how does 13% ruin a forum?

:D

Can you explain to me what you feel it maintains or grows by keeping them all in one section? I'm trying to understand why it would be a big issue to separate things into a bit more of an organized fashion. I would like to see an environment where we could all enjoy the forum and to me it's a minor compromise if it helps bring people back or participate more.

I think it also gives new addicts a more organized forum to follow. I know when I first started, it was hard to keep track of what was going on..and still it is at times if I go away for a couple of days.

Anyway, I'm just trying to understand the resistance to splitting the discussions...it's not splitting the group but the discussion areas.

While you are busy splitting up the coin section, where do you put the mystery coins? Are they off topic too?

I assume you use the word you in a general sense since this is not about any one person, and certainly one person isn't going to make the decision on what/if anything gets split up. :D

Personally I would have had mystery coins in the general discussions group at the begining. In the past 6 months I would probably say it would be better served in the other area since they have become quite common. You can't buy them, usually can't trade for them, and generally they are mostly a feel good thing. I can make a case for either area, so I don't care either way too much.

Can you explain to me what you feel it maintains or grows by keeping them all in one section? I'm trying to understand why it would be a big issue to separate things into a bit more of an organized fashion. I would like to see an environment where we could all enjoy the forum and to me it's a minor compromise if it helps bring people back or participate more.

I think it also gives new addicts a more organized forum to follow. I know when I first started, it was hard to keep track of what was going on..and still it is at times if I go away for a couple of days.

Anyway, I'm just trying to understand the resistance to splitting the discussions...it's not splitting the group but the discussion areas.

My point is and always has been that the amount of so-called "off-topic" geocoin discussions is so little that it makes no sense to split them up. When 87% of the discussions are about geocoins proper how can someone say that it is hard for people to read on them?

The problem is that the people who advocate a forum split so people can "enjoy" the forum are attacking a rather small part of the forum to begin with that doesn't detract too much at all.

The problem is that the people who advocate a forum split so people can "enjoy" the forum are attacking a rather small part of the forum to begin with that doesn't detract too much at all.

How is it an attack to give a group of people, to which size can only speculate as to, their own area to do whatever they want? That is an attack? I think that is a bit of a stretch, now don't you? Lets not blow this out of proportion. Maybe this would be better. How would it HURT the community to have a seperate area for these missions and cointests?

My point is and always has been that the amount of so-called "off-topic" geocoin discussions is so little that it makes no sense to split them up. When 87% of the discussions are about geocoins proper how can someone say that it is hard for people to read on them?

I'm thinking that maybe we shouldn't be looking at this as an attack when really it's only about trying to clean it up. You may not agree that it is cluttered but I for one do think it is...now maybe that makes me too lazy or not very smart but regardless, there does seem to be others that agree too.

I'm looking at it from another point of view though. I do enjoy 'some' of the cointests and will get involved in some more missions. Having a split would sure be helpful (for me anyway) to keep track of all of them.

How is it an attack to give a group of people, to which size can only speculate as to, their own area to do whatever they want? That is an attack? I think that is a bit of a stretch, now don't you? Lets not blow this out of proportion. Maybe this would be better. How would it HURT the community to have a seperate area for these missions and cointests?

It is an attack because people think a relatively insignificant portion of the geocoin forum needs to be moved.

How does it hurt the community? Well, it's a bit of a stretch but the first thing that comes to mind is Jim Crow..."separate but equal"...what you propose is pretty much just that by telling people that despite the fact that their cointests or missions deal with geocoins in one manner or another they are not worthy to be included in the "regular" discussions.

Let me ask you in turn...how would it HELP the community to have a seperate area for these missions and cointests when they already are a very small portion anyway?

I'm thinking that maybe we shouldn't be looking at this as an attack when really it's only about trying to clean it up. You may not agree that it is cluttered but I for one do think it is...now maybe that makes me too lazy or not very smart but regardless, there does seem to be others that agree too.

What's to clean up? It's 13% of the forum...surely it's easy to overlook the 33 out of 250 threads on the first five pages. I mean is it hard to pick out those other 217 threads?

What's to clean up? It's 13% of the forum...surely it's easy to overlook the 33 out of 250 threads on the first five pages. I mean is it hard to pick out those other 217 threads?

Just out of curiosity, what makes you think the 13% is going to stay the same? It seems like cointests and mission postings have increased over the past 6 months so what makes anyone think this trend won't continue?

I'm not trying to make a big deal out of anything here, but I can't understand why making this part of the board more organized is going to be harmful to the community? If anything a better organized community is going to benefit all of us....especially newbies. We do want to continue to attract new people to geocaching in general and geocoin collecting in particular, right?

Just out of curiosity, what makes you think the 13% is going to stay the same? It seems like cointests and mission postings have increased over the past 6 months so what makes anyone think this trend won't continue?

I'm not trying to make a big deal out of anything here, but I can't understand why making this part of the board more organized is going to be harmful to the community? If anything a better organized community is going to benefit all of us....especially newbies. We do want to continue to attract new people to geocaching in general and geocoin collecting in particular, right?

Believe me, I know percentages change...sometimes there are a lot of cointests and missions and sometimes hardly anything. I don't mean to imply that it's a static 13% rate...

Don't you think labeling threads is organizational? If you see a thread with COINTEST or MISSION on it and you don't want to read it...pass over it.

What I want to know is...why are you (the general you) so on fire to boot such threads to other forums when they generally make up little of the total volume and are easily passed over?

okay..I think it's been pointed out before but you seem to think that leaving everything alone is just fine...Clearly we've heard people say that it isn't so shouldn't we try at least to make an effort to see the other side? I'm not sure if this is some sort of grudge fest or what but for the life of me I cannot understand your logic and how better organization is anything but a good thing?

There may be 33 threads but they bounce a lot as they get many hits and unfortunately those hits are sometime coming pretty quick as we all rattle off a number between 1-5000 for 2 days. Some nice coin threads have been pushed down fast and out of site if they happen to be announced at the same time as a bunch of new cointest threads.

But, I get the sense that this really isn't about how bad or good the forum is anyway. I don't want to get rid of anyone. I want to have an area where I am in discussion with people that are also in the thread for the same discussion.

Edited by Theotokos

It is an attack because people think a relatively insignificant portion of the geocoin forum needs to be moved.

No that is their/our opinion. When you start letting your feelings get involved with this, then you emotionailize it an take it as an attack. That is not the speaker's fault but rather your own perception's fault. We can't be blamed for that.

How does it hurt the community? Well, it's a bit of a stretch but the first thing that comes to mind is Jim Crow..."separate but equal"...what you propose is pretty much just that by telling people that despite the fact that their cointests or missions deal with geocoins in one manner or another they are not worthy to be included in the "regular" discussions.

Even you admit it is a stretch. We are talking about classifications. These forums are like an outline and things that fall better under one heading here rather than there go here. The last I checked there was no rankings, ratings, or feelings about who was more important or anything else. What's next? Changing the way we classify dinosaurs because they won't all feel equal? I know you are smatrter than that so why are you really making such a fuss about nothing?

Let me ask you in turn...how would it HELP the community to have a seperate area for these missions and cointests when they already are a very small portion anyway?

It helps by allowing the half of the community that has no interest in these threads to not have to deal with them at all. It better sets up an area where people who choose to use the forums as a social avenue more than a collecting avenue, the ability to do so. It streamlines an area that is more active than alot of other areas on GC. It allows a new cacher who comes here the ability to slowly adjust to what we all know can be a completely overbearing experience. It allows us to quickly search for relevant topics as classified by the header. I could go on, but I am sure you won't find any weight in anything I were to say anyhow, but I would open you would try to be open enough to this. It can't hurt the cointests and missions, so there is nothing to lose. Staying under one umbrella, I will bet there comes more rules attache with them. so which would you prefer? Your own section with liberties, or staus quo with more rules to abide by?

But, I get the sense that this really isn't about how bad or good the forum is anyway. I don't want to get rid of anyone. I want to have an area where I am in discussion with people that are also in the thread for the same discussion.

You can right now. Click on the thread you want to participate in and do it.

If you don't want to view or participate in a thread, don't.

How hard can this be? It doesn't take an advanced degree in physics to skip past a thread.

If you're bored, try reading other threads.

I'm hoping, by leaving this thread open, to get some new posters in here, to add to the discussion. Otherwise, I think I have all the information I need. If your post is not going to contribute to the discussion, then please, think about not posting it. I'm trying to "separate the chaff from the wheat" as someone said, and posts that are not pertinent are not helping.

The people I want to discuss this with are not available at this time, so I will not have any answers for days and days. Even then, it doesn't mean we'll come up with one that everyone will agree on. I know that already from reading this thread. We can't make all the people happy all the time. Just remember. These are the geocoin forums, and they will remain as such, about geocoins no matter what happens. They might not change at all, other than the title changes. I don't know. I'm just collecting opinions. It's not my website, I just volunteer here.

and thank you for all that you do to keep order in here :D

I started to reply this morning and then thinking about all the unnecessary meanness, I just got upset and walked away (er.. closed the window and went back to work) but since you're looking for opinions of those of us that haven't added ours, I guess I'll chime in. Even if my thought's aren't a clear vote :D

For the suggestion of everything moving to OT, I'm against that. It's a different group (save a few folks) and when people hold a cointest I think they want to give back to this community :D

As far as subtopics, I'd be happy either way. I think part of the concern with them moving might be a narrower audience seeing them. Some folks who might otherwise casually click on a link might never notice the new topics b/c they aren't hanging out over there.

I think the types of topics fluctuate a lot. Sometimes no new coins come out for weeks, sometimes 50 come out in the same week, sometimes there are no cointests or missions for long periods and sometimes there are a lot. Sometimes there are not new threads at all for a long period, so keeping it together might be good. Lately there have been a ton of cointests and missions. It's really nice seeing everyone being so nice :D and so giving :D and being encouraged by other peoples niceness to give themselves, etc. But I did get frustrated earlier when I was searching for a thread from a few weeks back.. Digging through pages 3, 4, 5.. etc. I saw coin announcements I'd missed completely :D ! So I can see the argument for splitting it.

Really, if it's split I'll probably browse both, probably hanging out in the "coin announcement" subsection more. If it's not split, I won't sweat it either. I do like the labels though.

What I want to know is...why are you (the general you) so on fire to boot such threads to other forums when they generally make up little of the total volume and are easily passed over?

Well I'm not suggesting booting threads to another forum. I'm merely suggesting a reorganization of this forum that includes sub-sections (or child boards) to make it more user-friendly. Big difference. :D

[edit] spelling

Edited by ThePetersTrio
It helps by allowing the half of the community that has no interest in these threads to not have to deal with them at all.

It must be hard to get past those 33 out of 250 threads. They can't scroll past a thread why? :D

It better sets up an area where people who choose to use the forums as a social avenue more than a collecting avenue, the ability to do so.

Why do you make such separations? People who participate in cointests and missions collect coins also. Why make them skip from forum to forum?

It streamlines an area that is more active than alot of other areas on GC. It allows a new cacher who comes here the ability to slowly adjust to what we all know can be a completely overbearing experience.

There's nothing to streamline. Every thread is about coins in one way or another.

It allows us to quickly search for relevant topics as classified by the header.

The search button has stopped working now?

I could go on, but I am sure you won't find any weight in anything I were to say anyhow, but I would open you would try to be open enough to this.

Your points are valid, but the entity you argue against and want to alter is hardly an 800-pound gorilla here. You're making a mountain out of a molehill.

It can't hurt the cointests and missions, so there is nothing to lose.

Again, mountain out of a molehill.

Well I'm not suggesting booting threads to another forum. I'm merely suggesting a reorganization of this forum that includes sub-sections (or child boards) to make it more user-friendly. Big difference. :D

[edit] spelling

That's known as doublespeak. :D

As far as subtopics, I'd be happy either way. I think part of the concern with them moving might be a narrower audience seeing them. Some folks who might otherwise casually click on a link might never notice the new topics b/c they aren't hanging out over there.

That's a good point and I really would hate to take away from one group or the other. I don't think it will though but there would be some growing pains for sure. On the Pathtag site there are sections for discussion, trades, designs, etc...it seems to work pretty good but I do see your point and concern. However, we won't know unless we try it I guess..

It allows a new cacher who comes here the ability to slowly adjust to what we all know can be a completely overbearing experience.

good point. looking down the list of topics on page 1 right now; if I were brand new, I'd have more questions now than I came in with!

You can right now. Click on the thread you want to participate in and do it.

If you don't want to view or participate in a thread, don't.

How hard can this be? It doesn't take an advanced degree in physics to skip past a thread.

okay..you caught me...I'm unschooled...sheesh. Can you get into a discussion without belittling people all the time?

I've made my points and will leave the rest for TPTB to do what they will. I can live with it either way but only trying to offer up suggestions to "TRY" and improve thing for everyone to enjoy the forum - if possible

okay..you caught me...I'm unschooled...sheesh. Can you get into a discussion without belittling people all the time?

I've made my points and will leave the rest for TPTB to do what they will. I can live with it either way but only trying to offer up suggestions to "TRY" and improve thing for everyone to enjoy the forum - if possible

No one belittled you at all. I said...if you had read the whole context...that, basically, it isn't hard to scroll past a thread.

No one belittled you at all. I said...if you had read the whole context...that, basically, it isn't hard to scroll past a thread.

Go back and read some of your posts - they are belittling. That's fine though if that is the way you like to make points. It just seems you're more interested in arguing than discussing..and I don't really have time for that. I don't want to hurt the community one way or the other...I've just agreed with a number of folks here that felt it needed to be more organized. Since I'm not the one making the final decision, there really isn't more I can say. I'll just watch and wait to see what happens.

I think it's pretty sad though that we need to continue to alienate anyone from enjoying these forums when there is something as simple as this that can help remedy the situation - or least just wouldn't it be worth a try ...

Edited by Theotokos
I think it's pretty sad though that we need to continue to alienate anyone from enjoying these forums when there is something as simple as this that can help remedy the situation - or least just wouldn't it be worth a try

Who's being alienated? What situation needs remedied?

The only thing I see is that there are a few people who don't like to or think they can't scroll past the occasional cointest (labeled "COINTEST" no less) and want to fix things that don't need to be fixed.

OK, folks, I think I have enough data to turn over.

This has been getting too personal, and I don't think we're going to get any farther with this right now. The masses have spoken.

I'm closing this now. When I know, you'll know.