Do we need separate forum(s) for Cointests and/or Missions?

UncleJimbo

I wouldn´t do that.

I think the one thing in common is the coins...

Releases, sales, seeking, missions, cointest, etc... its all about coins.

If there is someone only intereste in cointests and missions he has to sort out the relese notes etc... just as the otherway around...

I am not havin a problem with that...

Where is the separation supposed to end? Someday the missions have to be separated from the cointest, or the seeking from the releases...

Just my opinion :D

Cointests started out about coins. They now have as much to do about coins as does circus animals. They have seemed to become more of nothing but an avenue to be as off topic as possible.

Just because the "prize" is a coin doesn't make it relevant to geocoins. Cointests are as common now as breathing air. Hold your breath as long as you can and another one will pop up.

Most of these fall into the off topic area and belong there. Since there is already a section for that, maybe it is time people start using that area. I know several people have balked at that because it would cause them to actually pony some money up in support of the forums they use on a daily basis. *GASP* It's rather ironic that people have the money to give a coin away and pay for the shipping, but can't pay a few bucks for a premium membership to a site they use on a daily basis.

In case you couldn't tell, I am all for seperating actual coin info and discussions from off topic contests with a prize.

What good would seperate forums' be and how would you end up seperating them? Not sure I understand what would be the purpose...

The purpose would be to clean up this forum. For people who want to read about Geocoins, the multitude of Cointests get in the way (they are really not about coins as anything could be a prize).

The "coin trading" posts are now lumped into a "pinned" topic at the top of this forum, and perhaps it is time the Cointests got moved up to a pinned topic as well?

Edited by UncleJimbo
Just because the "prize" is a coin doesn't make it relevant to geocoins.

Sure it does. A person holds a contest and gives away a geocoin. They are not giving away a GPSr or a set of TB tags. Since they are giving away a coin and posting it in the geocoin forum they are on topic.

Many cointests have stipulations or questions geared towards geocoins or their icons themselves. Are you suggesting that these cointests are off-topic as well? Or, would these cointests be okay, but other cointests asking different questions not be okay?

Wanting to separate cointests and mission threads from the general geocoin forum opens up a slippery slope...pretty soon there will be forums for all the imaginable nuances of a specific topic. Do you really think GC.com wants the headache of all sorts of forums when a few do the job quite well?

The purpose would be to clean up this forum. For people who want to read about Geocoins, the multitude of Cointests get in the way (they are really not about coins as anything could be a prize).

The "coin trading" posts are now lumped into a "pinned" topic at the top of this forum, and perhaps it is time the Cointests got moved up to a pinned topic as well?

So you actually have to scroll down the page a bit. Such hard work.

To paraphrase...if it ain't broke, why do you want to fix it?

Can you still read about geocoins? Yes.

Are cointests and mission threads preventing you? No.

So what's the problem?

Edited by Arthur & Trillian
Just because the "prize" is a coin doesn't make it relevant to geocoins.

Sure it does. A person holds a contest and gives away a geocoin. They are not giving away a GPSr or a set of TB tags. Since they are giving away a coin and posting it in the geocoin forum they are on topic.

Many cointests have stipulations or questions geared towards geocoins or their icons themselves. Are you suggesting that these cointests are off-topic as well? Or, would these cointests be okay, but other cointests asking different questions not be okay?

Wanting to separate cointests and mission threads from the general geocoin forum opens up a slippery slope...pretty soon there will be forums for all the imaginable nuances of a specific topic. Do you really think GC.com wants the headache of all sorts of forums when a few do the job quite well?

Try using this same logic in the general caching area where you hold a contest and give away a bison tube and see how quickly it gets moved into the off topic area. Try giving away a piece of software in that section and again it will be moved. This is the only place where it is an ongoing situation.

I don't want to see heavy moderation. I actually hate excessive rules, but sadly there are more and more people who can't use common sense when posting and have started using cointests as nothing more than a way to start threads that in any other manner wouldn't be allowed. If people can't use their own judgement and start thinking a little bit, then GC is going to take away your (general useage) choices and put a blanket rule up.

What good would seperate forums' be and how would you end up seperating them? Not sure I understand what would be the purpose...

Every "cointest" I've seen thus far has been for a coin or two. I think this is why everyone call's them cointests to begin with!

I agree that some cointests are a bit "out there", but hey, it's all good fun and in the giving spirit of this community (IMHO at least). I for one love to read the cointests which ask for info, for pictures and the likes, these are great fun to read as I have fun watching the responses (and I do occasionally participate as well). I actually like the creativity of some of these cointest hosts!!

To paraphrase...if it ain't broke, why do you want to fix it?

Obviously, some of us think that it is broke.

Can you still read about geocoins? Yes.

Are cointests and mission threads preventing you? No.

So what's the problem?

Come on, now, then why don't we take away all the forums and just lump all posts into one gigantic "Geocaching" forum?

We separate subjects to make the forums easier to read. Most likely at one point in time, all TB and geocoin posts were together in a single "hitchhiker" forum, but eventually got split apart. That is all I am proposing.

Edited by UncleJimbo

Every "cointest" I've seen thus far has been for a coin or two. I think this is why everyone call's them cointests to begin with!

I agree that some cointests are a bit "out there", but hey, it's all good fun and in the giving spirit of this community (IMHO at least). I for one love to read the cointests which ask for info, for pictures and the likes, these are great fun to read as I have fun watching the responses (and I do occasionally participate as well). I actually like the creativity of some of these cointest hosts!!

I don't have anything against cointests. I have even participated in a few, and might again. I just don't always want to read about them, and there are so many lately that the other threads get pushed way down and out of sight.

I could say some things about this, but I am really mad right now, and I know I might post some things that I might regret later on...

Why does everything has to go into debates? This forum was much fun to read, untill this debate started to pop up in several places... And I am not only talking about the cointests, I had a good time reading just about everything, I learned a lot...

Just stop spoiling the fun of others, if you want a separate forum, the go to the suggestion page of Groundspeak and tell them, if they decide to do so it will be, if not, then not... But stop making averyone discuss about it!

(Do not tell me: "If you do not want to debate, then you do not have to.", that is not what I mean!)

If you need a thicker skin here, then I do not want to be here...

This will be my last post in the Groundspeak forum.

I will be fullfilling my missions and trades, then I am gone, have fun...

(see "good news cointest" for further information)

Edited by Tschakko

I could say some things about this, but I am really mad right now, and I know I might post some things that I might regret later on...

Why does everything has to go into debates? This forum was much fun to read, untill this debate started to pop up in several places... And I am not only talking about the cointests, I had a good time reading just about everything, I learned a lot...

Just stop spoiling the fun of others, if you want a separate forum, the go to the suggestion page of Groundspeak and tell them, if they decide to do so it will be, if not, then not... But stop making averyone discuss about it!

(Do not tell me: "If you do not want to debate, then you do not have to.", that is not what I mean!)

What is "fun" for you, maybe be more work to another and lacks fun. Remember there are others that disagree with you and think there needs to be a seperate area. So what makes your opinion right and ours wrong? Nothing. It's an opinion. If we can do something minor to streamline the forums so everyone can have fun, wouldn't that be a good thing? What's wrong with a seperate area for you to have your fun? It doesn't make it any less fun. It doesn't mean your fun isn't as fun as it was before. It doesn't even spoil your fun. What it does do is help others who don't want to have to wade through the posts and threads looking for info about actual coins. They now would be able to go to their area and look at just the facts ratehr than have to search through pages to find a thread that was just there yesterday. You want to help them out as well don't you?

You say debate like it is a bad word. Good things come from talking about an issue and seeing if there is a way to improve it. Where you see a debate, I see a way to communicate and create progress for the future. Discuss on my friend!

If you need a thicker skin here, then I do not want to be here...

This will be my last post in the Groundspeak forum.

I will be fullfilling my missions and trades, then I am gone, have fun...

We have another Geocide being committed as we speak! You my friend have won yourself a Geocide GeoCoin. This is one of the older, but long standing cointests. Sned me your address and I will mail you a LE GeoCide GeoCoin.

Cointests and missions will not go into a separate forum.

What you may see instead are guidelines being written for the cointests.

You won't see a separate forum.

There is an off topic section if you want to go off topic. Keep geocoins in the geocoin forums and there are plenty of other places to post about other subjects.

Oh goodie more guidlines ...just what my money needs to be tied up into :D

Remember, rules are written from necessity. :)

Ever see the sign that says "Sidewalk Ends" in big red letters, right before a 20 ft. drop off? You would think that people would know enough to stop walking. But they don't. So someone has to put up a sign to warn them.

I would prefer to see cointests and missions banned. I for one am sick and tired of wasting my time and money on both :) This would really help me save on coins, postage and extra goodies I have sent during my time here.

Chants: ban, ban, ban, ban

:)

What a great idea Tsun I never thought of it that way...I like your line of thinking :D

i think discussion and debate are good things . And as in most things there are opposing view and even the odd person that stirs the pot just to see what comes out. The cointest and missions do seem a little overwhelming lately . But to totally separate them might reduce ,them as Im sure some people use them as a promotion tool as well as giving back. But a pinned topic at the top like for trades which seems to work well might make it easier for all to enjoy this forum topic and not push anyone as side just organized a little better. 2 cents or two geocoins deposited

I am just wondering if this idea of separating out the Cointest and/or Mission posts from the rest of the Geocoin topics has been proposed before?

I would be in favor of it.

If making a separate section for cointests and missions would stop the bickering/badgering/arguing and complaining, I would be all for it too. Do you think that would work? Because from what I see every topic under the sun gets its fair share of angst.

Kind of like my first and only cointest that I did here. Now I figured out on what happened there too. When certain people don't like your cointest then they complain about it. Oh well, they really don't have to look at the thread if they don't like it. :D

Did I miss something? What really started all of this? :D

Looks like Geo.Error's cointest got some complaints, and wound up locked. (through no fault of Geo.Error's :) )

This isn't about one thread. This is about a whole page of them daily. That was just the latest in off topic posting.

I'll chime in with my 2 cents. I think the cointests and missions are fun - and I'm planning to do my first 1 of each over this summer.

That being said, I would think having a pinned space for them at the top of the geocoin section of the board would make the most sense, IMHO.

It does get tedious to weed through all of them to get to the coin sales and other discussions of coins that other forum members may be wanting to read. Not impossible, mind you, but still somewhat daunting - especially to newbies I would think.

Oh well, they really don't have to look at the thread if they don't like it. :D

They do have to wade through it to find anything or importance or an actual discussion.

What's wrong with moving it to it's own section and allowing your guys to do whatever you want, within the guidelines of course. Seems there is so much resistance to change from the crowd that says change is goog and us old timers need to accept change. Funny when the shoe is on the other foot.

I'll chime in with my 2 cents. I think the cointests and missions are fun - and I'm planning to do my first 1 of each over this summer.

That being said, I would think having a pinned space for them at the top of the geocoin section of the board would make the most sense, IMHO.

It does get tedious to weed through all of them to get to the coin sales and other discussions of coins that other forum members may be wanting to read. Not impossible, mind you, but still somewhat daunting - especially to newbies I would think.

Have you seen the trading thread? Let's just say they moved the cointests into it's own pinned thread and the missions into another pinned thread: Holy cow talk about confusion.....

A simple solution for now is not to click on the cointest and mission links. If everyone labeled missions and cointests with the MISSION or COINTEST in caps and first word, it would be easy to know which threads to avoid. Right now, all the cointests and missions are neatly wrapped in their own thread which is easily avoided. Move them into their pinned threads and how can I tell which contest I've either entered or am running?

I'll support and abide by cointest/mission guidelines set by Groundspeak but as far as pinned threads go, I agree with the saying: 'If it ain't broke, don't fix it.'

There'll be another thread down the road that will pop-up when a large influx of coins for sale start popping up........ it's all ebb and flow. There also seems to be a large number of new people right now testing their posting wings by running cointests and mission starters. It's alot right now but hey, I was there once too, so I'm not going to whine. I just don't click on all the threads, simple :D

Edited by tsunrisebey

Have you seen the trading thread? Let's just say they moved the cointests into it's own pinned thread and the missions into another pinned thread: Holy cow talk about confusion.....

A simple solution for now is not to click on the cointest and mission links. If everyone labeled missions and cointests with the MISSION or COINTEST in caps and first word, it would be easy to know which threads to avoid. Right now, all the cointests and missions are neatly wrapped in their own thread which is easily avoided. Move them into their pinned threads and how can I tell which contest I've either entered or am running?

I'll support and abide by cointest/mission guidelines set by Groundspeak but as far as pinned threads go, I agree with the saying: 'If it ain't broke, don't fix it.'

There'll be another thread down the road that will pop-up when a large influx of coins for sale start popping up........ it's all ebb and flow. There also seems to be a large number of new people right now testing their posting wings by running cointests and mission starters. It's alot right now but hey, I was there once too, so I'm not going to whine. I just don't click on all the threads, simple :D

Words of wisdom tsun. Well put. Thank you.

Well said Tsun, well said!

So now the coin forums is split between you and "you guys"? We must be the you guys. :D

Every topic is split into at least 2 different sides. In this case, when you are speaking of yourself and those who agree on a subject with you, then it would be us guys and the people who disagree are those guys. It's not a bad thing and not a permanat thing. The next topic you might be on the us team instead of the those guys team. It's easier to change teams than underwear, and some do it throughout the thread.

Of course there's always room for the third grouping who aren't for or against but are just here to stir the pot and offer nothing of substance to the conversation.

Oh well, they really don't have to look at the thread if they don't like it. :D

They do have to wade through it to find anything or importance or an actual discussion.

What's wrong with moving it to it's own section and allowing your guys to do whatever you want, within the guidelines of course. Seems there is so much resistance to change from the crowd that says change is goog and us old timers need to accept change. Funny when the shoe is on the other foot.

Well I don't think it's just about old timers needing to accept change because I agree totally with you - and I'm not one of the old timers (in forum time anyway). I would like to see them moved to a separate section too.

Missions and cointests can be a lot of fun but they do make reading of the forums a lot more difficult and tend to push some threads beyond page 1 & 2. I'm guessing most people stick to page 1 and maybe 2 so maybe end up missing some threads. Having a separate section would mean we could all be able to indulge our interests without taking anything away from anyone.

It's quite ironic to have this thread come up now as the other day, I came onto the geocoin forums and it seemed like it had turned into cointest forums. At least five of the first ten threads were cointests Right now six of the top ten threads are cointests. I'm all for cointests but I remember when the geocoins forums were discussions about geocoins. A cointest does not discuss a geocoin, it's a contest where there is a prize that just happens to be a geocoin.

I'm not saying to get rid of cointests because they are fun and bring many people lots of joy. I'd just like to see a subfolder pinned at the top. Click on it and it'll show the cointest threads.

Missions I can see as being geocoin-related because essentially it's a mass geocoin trade between many coiners.

I guess I don't see how it would be confusing. It could be set up as a sub-forum - I'm NOT suggesting that all the cointests and missions get merged into one or anything like that. Yes, then that would be confusing. I've been on other boards where subjects like "politics and religion" have been split off from the off-topic forum in this manner and even though at first I didn't think I'd like it, after the fact it was very smooth and easy to navigate.

I'm not trying to be a wet-blanket here!! And being that I'm new as of February of this year, I've not seen the ebb and flow that you've described so I'm sorry if I'm offending anyone.

I was merely trying to offer a viable solution but now see that I should have kept my opinions to myself.

Sorry.

Looks like the mods may have taken some action on this issue... the cointest threads now say COINTEST in big letters at the beginning of the title, and the mission threads have been rendered similarly.

Yep. I thought it was a good idea.

Cointests started out about coins. They now have as much to do about coins as does circus animals. They have seemed to become more of nothing but an avenue to be as off topic as possible.

Though I do enjoy the cointests, I find myself agreeing with you. :D There really are precious few threads that discuss geocoins on this forum! There are cointests, missions, and sales -- all of which I like, don't get me wrong!

I think some people may have difficulty coming up with an 'on topic' cointest question for the coin they want to give away. I myself have been guilty of wanting to give away a coin and just coming up with any old question in order to do so. This would also explain the number of random winner cointests I think.

I had been planning to run another cointest when my own coin is finally ready, but there again the cointest had nothing to do with the coin -- or any coin for that matter. It was just the prize. I'll have to rethink this and try to come up with some coin-related questions when the time comes. :)

I would prefer to see cointests and missions banned. I for one am sick and tired of wasting my time and money on both :D This would really help me save on coins, postage and extra goodies I have sent during my time here.

Chants: ban, ban, ban, ban

:)

I hope you're kidding because this is ridiculous. I dont mind them being put in a separate folder, but you want to ban them? That's half of the fun of geocoin forums! Can't there just be a lack of controversy somewhere in this world, geeze! I'm already tired of this, and I just began collecting. Maybe it's not worth it, I guess we will be seeing as time goes on!

Looks like the mods may have taken some action on this issue... the cointest threads now say COINTEST in big letters at the beginning of the title, and the mission threads have been rendered similarly.

Yep. I thought it was a good idea.

...forgive me for jumping so late, but I'm thinking I fall into a mix of "categories".

I would like to see COINTESTS and Missions in a pinned topic so that I could find them quickly for what I am hoping to participate or already participating--not to "get them out of my way". Just easy to reference, follow, and clean up the zillion pages of posts. There's so many of them, and, not unlike trade requests, cater to a smaller portion of this forum's users. Not everyone trades, so you know precisely where on the topic section you can go to find that info in one click. Searches can bog down a server, so searching for a topic could be eliminated and help bandwidth. For me, I like being able to one-click to trades and check in on what I may be offering or seeking, and I'd also find it easy and more clear to find the cointests and missions I want to.

OR, what about like I've seen in the "For Sale" section of the forums where the OP asks that the thread be locked when the event is over. That way the treads can eventually drop off, and finding other new or relevant topics easier.

The progression goes Forum, Topic, Thread, but to easily navigate such a heavily used topic with many easy categories is a burden on a lot of levels. The only way to compartmentalize threads would be to 1) create a new topic (RIDICULUS!) or 2) pin relevant threads to the top of topics.

Think of a newbie to this forum trying to navigate this topic! HOLY BANANAS! I'd be scared off if I wasn't already knee-deep in a geocoin addiction. If this topic has growth, education and information in mind, it could evolve and offer clean and simple navigation.

I have a very hard time figuring out where information about new coins, release and purchase dates, cointests, missions, resource information, and much more are going to be in this forum--even within an hour of leaving and coming back!

This topic is big and growing fast, and it seems to make good sense to consider options to streamline its use and navigation.

Just my two cents...

I would have to agree that cointests need a new home. They can get a bit off-topic and do clutter the forums.

I rarely come to the forums anymore since there is little to no geocoin discussion happening. Everytime I come here and see all the cointests and missions I am reminded of the Altruistic or Egotistic thread..... :D