Do we need separate forum(s) for Cointests and/or Missions?

UncleJimbo

I'm really concerned that the real reason that I come to this Topic is GEOCOINS. I head to the trading pin thread to check the status. From there, I can't find out--quickly and easily--what is going on in the world of GEOCOINS. I can catch up on Cointests I am participating in, Missions that interest me and such, but I can't easily find what I'm looking for...information on GEOCOINS.

Perhaps I edit my idea from 2 pages ago.

Pin "New Geocoins" at the top, with a subtitle of "Drafts, Presale, Preproduction, sale and Announcements", instead of COINTESTS or MISSIONS. We can go right ahead and keep the "confusing" topics of trades and production at the top, and have Cointests and Missions maintain the dominated chaos of the threads in this Geocoin topic.

I honestly enjoy cointests. I've even won a few. I'm not fanatic, but I also haven't met this "Geocoin family" I hear about. I consider myself active in Geocoin collection and appreciation, but I'm not even a second cousin's sister's husband's stepson's nanny to any of you. I've been touched by stories of need, and helped out in a few cases.

That's all warm and fuzzy, but the truth is, I miss the "old days", when I could come to the forums, click on the Geocoin topic, and look at new ideas, releases, and ordering updates. I could get my Geocoin information.

Now I have missed far too many coins, even though I am on email lists for many coin producers. I don't even see most until they are $50 on eBay. Seriously, can we all think about a POSITIVE, MUTUAL way to streamline this process? I'm not committing geocide or coinocide here, but I think we can all agree that these "separate" issues should find a pinned home.

IMO, I would rather see Missions and Cointests pinned at the top, so the majority of the main Topic page you will see first will be information and updates about Geocoins.

<sigh>

Long day at work...

Now to wade through the threads to find that one about the coin release...on pg 3.

Hi,

I will chime in here since it is very relevant to what I am planning on doing this Summer as many of you already know. I am running a very large cointest that will actually run for over 90 days, and I will be giving away at least one coin a week during that time and also a very large pool of "grand prize" coins at the end of the cointest (about 100 coins). From my knowledge, this will be the first time that this type of initiative of this scale (cointest initiative that is) has been attempted on this site. I thought it would be a lot of fun and get geocachers involved in the forums who might normally not participate. Having a time limit on my cointest would essentially destroy my particular project I have been working on, am just about to launch and spent nearly 2K to have all of the coins minted. I am selling about half of these coins to recoop some of my investment, but will actually be giving away a lot of coins at a cost out of my own pocket because I wanted to do something special for the geocaching community at large.

I would hope that this type of time limit would not be put on my particular project, but would also agree with cointest threads being closed after the end of the cointest whether the cointest be one or two days long, or several months such as what I will be doing.

Just my $0.02

MRJIFFY

Well, that took a long time to get through.

Now,, I'm not anti-cointest, nor anti-mission. I just don't participate in them to speak of.

But, I have to agree that seperate threads would be a good idea. I do not argee that they need to be moved to the Off-Topic area. They are very much part of the coin topic.

I do agree that there should be some sort of time limit on cointests, though. I have no clue what it should be, and I will not presume to suggest one. But I do believe that cointests should run for two, three, or more weeks.

The Geocoin forum has evolved to the point that it needs to be split more into logical sections. It is time for some changes.

None of it belongs here in a forum dedicated to the designing, buying, selling and trading of geocoins.

Where does it say that? I all see is: "Talk about trackable and oh-so-collectible Geocoins. "

Perhaps people are imposing their own opinion into this topic based upon what they believe this forum should be or wish it to be?

I don't understand why such a simple thing is such a big deal. Separate forums...great. So I visit an extra forum or two once in a while. Same forum....great. So I skip over threads that don't interest me. Its not life or death.

Sounds like some folks think this forum sole purpose is for the buying/selling of geocoins. Maybe a forum for that topic alone and a Misc Geocoin forum would make people happy?

For what its worth I think a pinned topic for any topic seems to me to be the worse possible option. It near impossible to keep track of what it going on with everything being posted in one single thread.

I like what the mods have done seems like a good compromise.

Well, I respectfully disagree with your opinion, then...there is a lot more that relates to geocoins than just the few examples you give. Whatever you think of cointests they are related to geocoins because the end result occurs with someone winning one. Not everything is as cut and dry as you'd like to make it.

So let's test this theory you have then. I claim it to be a theory because I see no proof yet to conclude you are right and my opinion is different than yours in this matter.

Open a thread in the general topics encouraging people to post pics, random pics of nothingness, just to make you laugh. Give it 72 hours. As a prize give away a bison tube, which is something that falls under that topic very nicely. If the thread isn't moved or closed, then maybe you are onto something, but if it is, then maybe I am closer to the right answer. I'll even pay for the bison tube. So you have nothing to lose, and all to gain. How about a link to the thread so we can all watch this one.

Why dont you open a thread and try to sell your bison tube in the general topics - and see if it survives.

the coin forum has always had licence to do things that cannot be done in the other forums

Sell things

Charity related stuff (look at the uk forums history if you dont believe me)

Commercial company posting

Do not jeopardise this by ideas that are designed deliberately to prove a point

Bob

Sounds like some folks think this forum sole purpose is for the buying/selling of geocoins. Maybe a forum for that topic alone and a Misc Geocoin forum would make people happy?

The purpose of these particluar forums is geocoins. The rest grew from it, and as each new idea comes along, the decisions are made behind the scenes as to whether it is allowable or not. The reason I am watching this thread is to decide whether or not, and how to, write up guidelines for cointests or to keep allowing them to run off topic (not leaning that way), since many have gotten way off topic lately and away from being about geocoins themselves. Winning a coin does not make the thread coin related. The geocoin forums were originally split off from the Travel Bug forums, when they first came out. It exploded from there, so we have to keep it in the spirit in which it was started. This is why if you want off topic, you go play in off topic. If you want geocoins, you come here. There is a time and a forum for everything and everything in it's own forum.

I have thought a bit about the forum structure and so here goes (Puts his head above the parapet and awaits the outcome :P

I think there is a major difference between Missions and Cointests, and here is my two Pennysworth

1) Missions

These are a way of trading coins in a similair way to a Maths Trade. Whilst there are other strings attached it does increase the sense of community that naturally exists in this forum. I would find the removal of this difficult to understand as we are trading Geocoins that we have paid the tracking fee on. Whilst we may add souvenirs, chocolate etc it is still a trading methodology

Whilst I have entered a few cointests in the last 6 weeks or so I believe my thoughts are purely analytical and therefore in no ways reflect which cointests I have entered, it is my thoughts on the way forward

2) Cointests

This is a very different issue to missions. Looking at those I have won they have not been really geocaching related (I think I have been possessed by Kealia :ninja: Aaagh)

A - the time of a baby's birth

B - What I know about the Netherlands

C - How many Trapezoids in a geometric figure

The question is how we bring this back in line to keep in the spirit of the Forum

i) I dont believe exiling it to the Off-Topic thread would work, it would kill the cointests (some would say that is a good idea)

ii) A seperate forum is not appropriate or in actuality ever gonna happen

iii) I have a solution but it might not be popular :P . Why do we not have a single cointest thread that runs similair to the uk pub quiz thread. You can post a cointest and then whoever wins can then post the next one. If you are not prepared to win and then donate the next coin do not play!!!

Whilst I am in flow there are 2 other issues I would like to see considered

x) A pinned topic for new coins: - Just a post of picture, description and price and where to get it from. None of the patting each others back, I dont like it, etc etc. So we could all look in one place to find the info

y) Mystery Coins: - this is not due to the fact that I don't have any :D but I find all the posts on this to clutter up the forum as well. yeah let us know they are there but the rumour and begging and boasting is a bit of a bore especially as most are USA based and not neccessary trackable

Oh well sit back and wait for the inevitable response

Bob

Well, I respectfully disagree with your opinion, then...there is a lot more that relates to geocoins than just the few examples you give. Whatever you think of cointests they are related to geocoins because the end result occurs with someone winning one. Not everything is as cut and dry as you'd like to make it.

So let's test this theory you have then. I claim it to be a theory because I see no proof yet to conclude you are right and my opinion is different than yours in this matter.

Open a thread in the general topics encouraging people to post pics, random pics of nothingness, just to make you laugh. Give it 72 hours. As a prize give away a bison tube, which is something that falls under that topic very nicely. If the thread isn't moved or closed, then maybe you are onto something, but if it is, then maybe I am closer to the right answer. I'll even pay for the bison tube. So you have nothing to lose, and all to gain. How about a link to the thread so we can all watch this one.

Heck, I took the bait. Let's see what happens. :P

Looks like the thread was deleted entirely. So much for staying within the guidelines and this kind of thing being allowed elsewhere.

It was probably deleted because someone is following this thread and seen what the plan was. That is why I tried to keep it as close to the guidelines or caching related as I could. I'm just surpised that they don't PM you when they completely wipe it off the face of the earth. :P

The purpose of these particluar forums is geocoins. The rest grew from it, and as each new idea comes along, the decisions are made behind the scenes as to whether it is allowable or not. The reason I am watching this thread is to decide whether or not, and how to, write up guidelines for cointests or to keep allowing them to run off topic (not leaning that way), since many have gotten way off topic lately and away from being about geocoins themselves. Winning a coin does not make the thread coin related. The geocoin forums were originally split off from the Travel Bug forums, when they first came out. It exploded from there, so we have to keep it in the spirit in which it was started. This is why if you want off topic, you go play in off topic. If you want geocoins, you come here. There is a time and a forum for everything and everything in it's own forum.

Thank You.

Many of the biggest offenders or propogators for a web board primarily for social interaction were not even here to remember why this forum was created in the first place. In fact, the boom of the geocoin hobby predates the above persons join date by nearly 2.5 years!

Thank You.

Many of the biggest offenders or propogators for a web board primarily for social interaction were not even here to remember why this forum was created in the first place. In fact, the boom of the geocoin hobby predates the above persons join date by nearly 2.5 years!

"Yep! Them dern new people don't know how it was for us old-skool people who collected dem dere geocoins! Dat's all we talked about. We never did anything for fun and we were always pure in what we did. Dern new-skool people ruining our fun! That's all we want to talk about! Geocoins! We don't care if this forum gets really boring! Dem dere new people don't know what dey talkin' about and we gonna cry to get our way cuz we know dey will listen to us befo' dem new folk...puttin' dat word 'COINTEST' in one of dem dere cointests ain't enough! We want it like Burger King...our way!"

:P

Is it that hard to look past the all-caps word "COINTEST" as you peruse the forums?

Guess so. :D

Thank You.

<personal attack removed by moderator>

Edited by Eartha

Thank You.

<personal attack removed by moderator>

No kidding...ever get the feeling that certain old-timers don't think newer people know what's best or should even have a voice around here?

Edited by Eartha

My point was that no where does it say this forum is strictly about the buying/selling/trading of geocoins. It simply says its about geocoins. A thread that is trading geocoins via mission, or giving them away via cointest is on topic in my opinion. I realize that is subjective and we all have our own opinions but the only right opinions is Groundspeak's and apparently they believe they are on topic as well because they allow those threads to be here. If some folks think Groundspeak has allowed this forum to go off-topic from its original intent, perhaps their anger would be better pointed in that direction.

Having said that, I like the idea of subforums for geocoins and like the idea of a forum for Trading (missions and otherwise), Cointests, Mystery Coins, Buying/Selling. But as long as Groundspeak can keep things organized, which I think they are doing decently, I don't understand the fervor for or against either way.

x) A pinned topic for new coins: - Just a post of picture, description and price and where to get it from. None of the patting each others back, I dont like it, etc etc. So we could all look in one place to find the info

y) Mystery Coins: - this is not due to the fact that I don't have any :D but I find all the posts on this to clutter up the forum as well. yeah let us know they are there but the rumour and begging and boasting is a bit of a bore especially as most are USA based and not neccessary trackable

Bob

x) This is quite an interesting take for someone who enjoys geocoins! Have you paused to consider why geocoins have become more advanced in quality, design, function, etc.? It's called feedback. Those responses, both positive and negative, are what give cachers and designers the information to continue to improve the overall presentation of new geocoins. It's not by accident that coins are becoming for intricate, colorful and beautiful over time. If we're going to keep learning about geocoins, where better than the geocoins forums? :ninja:

(this is not a slight to older coins of course, the most beautiful coin I've ever beheld is still the no-frills USA geocoin "Melissa" that was our first coin find ever)

y) I'm not aware of "USA based and not neccessary trackable" being a precursor to mystery coins not enjoying their place in the geocoin forums. If we don't have a thread for a mystery coin, where would you like us to "clutter up" the forums with the sincere expressions of gratitude? :P

Inevitable? Yeah, that's pretty accurate :P

Bob

x) This is quite an interesting take for someone who enjoys geocoins! Have you paused to consider why geocoins have become more advanced in quality, design, function, etc.? It's called feedback. Those responses, both positive and negative, are what give cachers and designers the information to continue to improve the overall presentation of new geocoins. It's not by accident that coins are becoming for intricate, colorful and beautiful over time. If we're going to keep learning about geocoins, where better than the geocoins forums? :ninja:

(this is not a slight to older coins of course, the most beautiful coin I've ever beheld is still the no-frills USA geocoin "Melissa" that was our first coin find ever)

y) I'm not aware of "USA based and not neccessary trackable" being a precursor to mystery coins not enjoying their place in the geocoin forums. If we don't have a thread for a mystery coin, where would you like us to "clutter up" the forums with the sincere expressions of gratitude? :P

Inevitable? Yeah, that's pretty accurate :P

my post was not trying to get away from posting ideas etc - I just thought a new coin thread as well would stop all of the dredging through posts that people complain about!!!

Bob

If we don't have a thread for a mystery coin, where would you like us to "clutter up" the forums with the sincere expressions of gratitude? :P

Ah, but you see those "sincere expressions of gratitude" are off-topic, you see...not only do they bump down other geocoin threads, they are also not talking about the buying, selling or trading of geocoins at all.

According to the whims of some of the old-timers here they must also go...you know, the same ones that say that cointests should be shut down before they gain another half page of sincere expressions of gratitude for winning?

Since it is very easy to get email notification of new topics posted, subscribe to topics of interest and if you are totally Alf Himerz you can even get to look at all the posts you have made to any given topic, I cannot understand the angst about the board being cluttered with stuff that is of no interest. If it doesn't interest you, don't read it. If you are interested subscribe to the topic and get notified of new ones. It doesn't require a committee member of mensa to work out what to do in order to be able to read what is of interest and avoid those that are not. You have a mouse, you have a finger, and basically you have control.

There is nothing so constant as change. Yev just ter learn to live with it, then life gets much simpler.

Sorry, I didn't read all 4 pages of this topic, but I'd like to see the cointests moved somewhere else. I've quit reading this forum because is has been dominated by cointests generally. Its hard to filter out the actual discussions and coin announcements.

edit - spelling

Edited by 9Key

There is nothing so constant as change. Yev just ter learn to live with it, then life gets much simpler.

Exactly...which is why I cannot for the life of me figure out why it's such a big deal to have sub-forms?

I'm one of the 'nuw skoolers' and actually see more resistance to change for the newbies at times. Alienating anyone from these forums is the wrong way to grow a community. Each 'group' should be able to enjoy the threads equally and if it takes a few sub threads, why not do it? I'm not sure why Eartha has said 'no' to the idea as I really don't understand how it could be anything but a good thing?

Instead of the continued contest of wills, why not discuss how to improve it? Sure, the new thread titles help but really, what is so darned bad about having some organization???? Maybe it's just me but I know my mail and my hard drive has tons of folders so I can find things easier. It only enhances my enjoyments as I can find things so much easier and it's grouped to make sense. Otherwise, I would just lose and forget everything.

Edited by Theotokos

Just for fun I went through the first 7 pages of this forum and counted all the cointests. I may have missed one or two but out of the first 7 pages I counted 27 cointests. The total number of threads per page is about 46 - 47 threads. The percent of cointests is roughly 8% of all the topics in the first 7 pages of this forum. How is that dominating??? (Granted I may have missed a few cointests and it may change by a percent or two but that would make it what 10%, 11%??)

Granted I agree a bit better organization would be beneficial. But I think this forum will constantly be changing and 6 months from now we will be debating some other change or 'domination'. Change is a part of life. I say go with the flow. Peace...Be Happy. :unsure::ph34r:

I mentioned this earlier but on another board I participate on, this same issue came up. Some people were upset that discussions of politics and religion had taken over the off-topic section and so the moderators decided to put these topics into a child board.

At the time this decision was made I was adamantly against it. It felt like topics I enjoyed participating in were being shuffled off to the corner to make it "nice" for everyone else. I was actually disgruntled about the whole thing.

Now several months later I am happy to report that I was WRONG WRONG WRONG to feel the way that I did. It works just fine. People go there when they want to read or discuss those topics and they just hit the off-topic board for other things. No muss, no fuss. Not one person has complained about it after the fact.

I think the notion of change being hard is very true. But sometimes change is for the better - even when our initial reaction to change is to resist it.

I will be happy with whatever is decided here. I have no horse in this race per se - except maybe a little bit of concern that when it comes time to announce my new coin that the thread will be constantly pushed off the page by all of these cointests and missions. But that's the way it goes I guess. I don't know what the typical ebb and flow of this board is like so I will just have to wait and see what happens. :unsure:

Ah, but you see those "sincere expressions of gratitude" are off-topic, you see...not only do they bump down other geocoin threads, they are also not talking about the buying, selling or trading of geocoins at all.

Talk about going from one extreme to another. I haven't seen anyone but you try to make this claim. The people behind the seperation plan fully support discussions about coins. In fact that is the entire objective behind this plan. We want to be able to discuss geocoins. There has always been an amount of fun banter in the forums, and that is a good thing. the problem has come from people only wanting silly to stupid banter and losing sight of what the main purpose we are here for and that is coins. If the banter is the main subject, then it needs to be elsewhere, like the off topic section. If the main focus is on coins, then this is the place for it. Why is that so hard to understand, or at least follow?

According to the whims of some of the old-timers here they must also go...you know, the same ones that say that cointests should be shut down before they gain another half page of sincere expressions of gratitude for winning?

You take the words of less than a hand full of people and them lump everybody together in hopes most people won't educate themselves by reading this exhaustive thread, and by doing so these people might believe your tainted words. That doesn't make you very credible, at least not to those who are willing to read what is being said.

I am an old school cacher and proud of it. My stand is there is a place for cointests. I never called for them to go, shut down, or anything else. Your words are not accurate at all as to the position of most people who's view differs from yours. I wonder why! Maybe because it fits your agenda better?

Splitting this area into two boards would ease the congestion and appease everyone, except for those who would feel excluded by not having it all in one place of course. Think of it as a highway. If we are all trying to drive on one lane, then things are bound to bogged down and you have to exert tremendous amounts of attention to find exits and such. If we open the roads up to allow a better flow of traffic, then you can relax somewhat and see a little more than before. How is this bad? In fact most new people here scream all the time that change is good and we need to accept it. So why is that medicine so hard to take for themselves?

People that make trackable coins are paying a good chunk of change for the tracking..... Right? To whom? Why beat them down when they're promoting their product on the forums, by means of cointests, giveaways and such?

The majority of cointests are run by people who don't geocache and don't buy coins. Like I said, I have no problems with cointests that promote a coin, but I really don't care what someone had for lunch. :unsure:

It's a moot point.

It's already been stated that they aren't going to split the board into subtopics, even if they are noting our preferences and discussions.

At the rate we're going, however, what we ARE going to accomplish is even more rules and even more heavy handed moderating that what is going on. This is already a very strictly moderated forum when you compare it to some of the others out there, especially the regional. I'm not saying that to be negative or mean to Earth and FSM, regardless of whether or not I always agree with their decisions, but just as a simple statement. A great many regional forums have an "OT" thread pinned at the top for the folks who frequent that forum to chat and play around in, and it's been stated that we can't even have that here.

SO, before we get ourselves backed into a corner with even stricter rules that might tear this place up more than do anything really positive, maybe we should see if we could either compromise, or find a way to live with things the way that they are, because TPTB don't seem to be overly eager to put up a sub forum or "OT" thread.

As for the OT thread that is available... I went there last night for the first time after paying for a month of premium, and not only do I not know the folks there, but the topics that WERE there were of no interest to me whatsoever.

How many here click on the "new posts" button at the top of the main page when they come to the forums? I've actually got it bookmarked to show the new threads when I click on my link for it. I like it because it brings up only new threads and I can scan through them and open them in background windows and then mark all as read and read through them at leisure. I've found some neat and interesting information doing it that way, as well.

Is there an ignore feature on this board? I know that some folks have done firefox widgets for them. Maybe it would be good to download those widgets and use them to ignore certain threads so that they aren't in your line of sight and you don't have to deal with them?

I'm trying really hard to be diplomatic here and not step on anyone's toes. I enjoy the cointests, well, most of them, and I also enjoy reading about the missions, even if I don't participate in all of them. I actually have learned a lot about different coins out there this way. I like to learn by "osmosis," and to me that is what I do when I look at the different threads. I also, of course, love to read about the different, new coins out and coin ideas, as well. As a fledgeling designer there is a lot that I could learn from some folks here and I like to learn from them!

Anyway, all I'm trying to say is to be careful for what you wish for... a lot of times it all comes back to bite you in the donkey! Don't wish us into more rules and regulations, instead, let's try to find a positive solution and suggestions!

Naomi :unsure:

People that make trackable coins are paying a good chunk of change for the tracking..... Right? To whom? Why beat them down when they're promoting their product on the forums, by means of cointests, giveaways and such?

The majority of cointests are run by people who don't geocache and don't buy coins. Like I said, I have no problems with cointests that promote a coin, but I really don't care what someone had for lunch. :ph34r:

:blink: How do you know that that the most cointest are not run by geocachers and coinbuyers :unsure:

:ph34r: What are they doing then on the geocoinforum :blink:

In fact most new people here scream all the time that change is good and we need to accept it. So why is that medicine so hard to take for themselves?

Some of us new people do agree with you.. I think your point though is that this should have absolutely nothing to do with an 'us vs. them' debate anyway. Not sure why it gets turned into that every time a discussion topic comes up?

My question is - "Why can't we make separate sections for missions and cointest?" (other than Eartha said so)

I for the life of me, cannot think of a single reason why it would be bad for the forum.

If we don't want more rules, then maybe we should have thought about this before running cointests about "what did I have for breakfast" and the like. TYes I know this wasn't an actual cointest, or maybe it was, but either way I am not trying to single someone out. The point is, people running cointests for no other reason than to chit chat are leaving the mods no choice but to implement new rules.

In fact most new people here scream all the time that change is good and we need to accept it. So why is that medicine so hard to take for themselves?

Some of us new people do agree with you.. I think your point though is that this should have absolutely nothing to do with an 'us vs. them' debate anyway. Not sure why it gets turned into that every time a discussion topic comes up?

Because some people have to call everyone the usual suspects when they happen to agree on something. Funny thing is, I actual disagree with alot of the "usual suspect" from time to time and post that. Never once have I seen the "other subset" do the same.

:ph34r: How do you know that that the most cointest are not run by geocachers and coinbuyers :unsure:

:blink: What are they doing then on the geocoinforum :blink:

Check their finds. I know of one who has more coin designs and sales than cache finds.

My personal opinion is they are here to fill a void in their actual life. I feel sorry for people who are like this. Truly, not in a mean way. I don't understand it but it happens in lots of forums, not just here.

As for the OT thread that is available... I went there last night for the first time after paying for a month of premium, and not only do I not know the folks there, but the topics that WERE there were of no interest to me whatsoever.

So how many people did you know here when you first came here?

How much did you know about coins before coming here?

My point is, this place was foreign to all of us at one time, but we all learned from it in one way or another. You have gone there one time and didn't have an interest in those threads. Maybe you should try running a cointest there and meet a few people. Maybe some more from here will follow you there and make it more homey. That's homey with a Y not a homie with an ie :unsure: . I mean you aren't just cutting and running back to here after one visit are you?

If we don't want more rules, then maybe we should have thought about this before running cointests about "what did I have for breakfast" and the like. TYes I know this wasn't an actual cointest, or maybe it was, but either way I am not trying to single someone out. The point is, people running cointests for no other reason than to chit chat are leaving the mods no choice but to implement new rules.

If the intention is right, and generosity is not a bad thing, but the imagination for coming up with a cointest isn't the greatest.... c'mon, cut them some slack.

I'll be the first to admit that there are some less than stellar cointests out there, but we've got folks from all over the globe and different ways of thinking and different cultures, different personalities, and some of them don't have a concrete grasp on English and nuances, either.

Like Chantal said, there is less than 10% cointest in the first few pages of threads. She went through and actually calculated.

How about some recommended guidelines for cointests. Something like if you want to run a cointest for more than 24 hours, run it by a mod first. Change the number of times that you can enter the cointest. Some don't give limits on how many times you can enter, others do have time frames - anything from once every 10 minutes to once a day. What about a recommended guideline of mimimum time between entries being once every 3 hours or limit it to 4 entries per day?

I actually ran my cointest that I'm running right now by Eartha first to get her feedback. I listend to her and took it seriously and put some limits in place, such as only one entry every 6 hours, and a definite time when the cointest will be closed.

If you're ever in doubt on a cointest you want to run, the mods are here for that reason! Better to put it off for a couple of days and ask than to put up a spur of the moment cointest that has little or no thought behind it. I'm not a big fan of the mods, I won't lie. I was banned for reasons I thought were really hardhanded, I've had posts deleted for reasons I didn't agree with, but by the same token, I do know that they are there to help, and will get back to you if you ask them sincerely.

The cointests are a lot like the coins. Some you like and get really involved in, others you don't, and don't give them a second look.

I DO understand what you're saying and I do agree that there are some cointests out there that could have used a bit more imagination, but when all is said and done, it IS still someone being generous and friendly and trying to make the forum a welcome and nice place to be.

And that ain't a bad thing, is it?

Because some people have to call everyone the usual suspects when they happen to agree on something. Funny thing is, I actual disagree with alot of the "usual suspect" from time to time and post that. Never once have I seen the "other subset" do the same.

When I said these discussions always turn bad was more a general statement than in reference to your comments - sorry if it sounded that way.

What I was getting at is that when ever we start an interesting topic, it tends to get derailed with irrelevant points and we never get to any real discussion. (again, not your points as I do agree with them) Unfortunately, it always seems to happen when a 'usual suspect' tries to get a point across. I tend to like the things I hear from the usual suspects and even though I wasn't around, I yearn for those days too :unsure:

Of course there are some great new things too and some missions and cointests can be fun. My only point is making subforums takes care of the issue for both sides without hurting the community

Edited by Theotokos

When I said these discussions always turn bad was more a general statement than in reference to your comments - sorry if it sounded that way.

What I was getting at is that when ever we start an interesting topic, it tends to get derailed with irrelevant points and we never get to any real discussion. (again, not your points as I do agree with them) Unfortunately, it always seems to happen when a 'usual suspect' tries to get a point across. I tend to like the things I hear from the usual suspects and even though I wasn't around, I yearn for those days too :unsure:

Of course there are some great new things too and some missions and cointests can be fun. My only point is making subforums takes care of the issue for both sides without hurting the community

Nah I didn't take anything you said to be directed at me. I was just responding in general basically. Plus I have way thicker skin than that.

Nah I didn't take anything you said to be directed at me. I was just responding in general basically. Plus I have way thicker skin than that.

It sounds like thick skin is a pre-requisite if you wish to venture beyond the confines of the cointests, missions and sales pages :unsure:

If the intention is right, and generosity is not a bad thing, but the imagination for coming up with a cointest isn't the greatest.... c'mon, cut them some slack.

I'll be the first to admit that there are some less than stellar cointests out there, but we've got folks from all over the globe and different ways of thinking and different cultures, different personalities, and some of them don't have a concrete grasp on English and nuances, either.

Like Chantal said, there is less than 10% cointest in the first few pages of threads. She went through and actually calculated.

How about some recommended guidelines for cointests. Something like if you want to run a cointest for more than 24 hours, run it by a mod first. Change the number of times that you can enter the cointest. Some don't give limits on how many times you can enter, others do have time frames - anything from once every 10 minutes to once a day. What about a recommended guideline of mimimum time between entries being once every 3 hours or limit it to 4 entries per day?

I actually ran my cointest that I'm running right now by Eartha first to get her feedback. I listend to her and took it seriously and put some limits in place, such as only one entry every 6 hours, and a definite time when the cointest will be closed.

If you're ever in doubt on a cointest you want to run, the mods are here for that reason! Better to put it off for a couple of days and ask than to put up a spur of the moment cointest that has little or no thought behind it. I'm not a big fan of the mods, I won't lie. I was banned for reasons I thought were really hardhanded, I've had posts deleted for reasons I didn't agree with, but by the same token, I do know that they are there to help, and will get back to you if you ask them sincerely.

The cointests are a lot like the coins. Some you like and get really involved in, others you don't, and don't give them a second look.

I DO understand what you're saying and I do agree that there are some cointests out there that could have used a bit more imagination, but when all is said and done, it IS still someone being generous and friendly and trying to make the forum a welcome and nice place to be.

And that ain't a bad thing, is it?

Wait a minute. One minute you are calling for no new rules, then the next minute you are saying we need more rules. One minute you are saying how helpful the mods are, the next you are slamming them for banning you for what was obviously a guideline vioaltion, which I can say because you basically said it in the post you opened that thread and new what was coming. I am more confused on which side you are on than ever.

I do not agree that just because someone is being nice means they should get free reign on the forums anymore than I feel the prize makes it relevant. Sure nice is great, but Nice in the right place is better than nice in the wrong place.

I would also like to add the mods are not here to approve every single cointest. They are here to enforce the guidelines. They are doing the best they can and overloading them with this kind of stuff isn't needed. How about we just use a bit of common sense when posting a cointest? How about we cut back on them all together? Whatever happened to too much of a good thing is bad? Just because you *insert common everyday thing here* doesn't mean we all need to know nor do we have to have a cointest about it. How about making them special and meaningful. If they are as common as oxygen molecules, then they won't get noticed for being unique.

It sounds like thick skin is a pre-requisite if you wish to venture beyond the confines of the cointests, missions and sales pages :unsure:

Nah not at all. I would rather have it said to my face than behind my back. I can at least respect that whether I agree or not.

Recommendations are not rules :blink:

I am not contradicting myself. I'm stating that in spite of how things have worked out for me, in spite of the fact that I've had my hands smacked a couple of times, I still respect the mods and their guidance. Kind of like your signature, just because I don't agree doesn't mean that I can't still respect...or at least tolerate :unsure:

I don't think that the mods should have to approve every single cointest, either. My statement is that if you aren't sure about your cointest, run it by them, they are here to help!

Too much of a good thing can be bad. I agree. I also agree wholeheartedly about using common sense. I also agree with what you say about what happens if they become too common.

Unfortunately, there are a lot of people on this board and they all think or believe differently than what you, me, or anyone else does.

And for that, I'm glad. This place would be boring without it.

I don't want to get into a debate with you. I'm not saying what you are feeling is wrong, there is a lot I agree with, actually. I'm just trying to see a bigger picture and not have tunnelvision.

Just as you and some people are unhappy with how many cointests and missions there are on the board, there are others who are entirely happy with them and might even, God forbid, want more of them!

Some folks just want to give back some of the generosity that was given to them earlier. Some just feel good giving. Some enjoy the fun of cointests.

Some don't.

I guess it's just one of them thangs, ya know!

Naomi :ph34r:

What is wrong with someone wanting to give a coin away in a cointest? Why do they have to wait for a special time to do it? Isn't this still a free country?

Nothing wrong with giving anything away. But this is a forum following a set of guidelines. What's wrong with posting the off topic contest in the off topic forum? I mean rules aren't a bad thing and are in place to help the majority of the people, not just the few who want to play in contests.

Recommendations are not rules :blink:

I am not contradicting myself. I'm stating that in spite of how things have worked out for me, in spite of the fact that I've had my hands smacked a couple of times, I still respect the mods and their guidance. Kind of like your signature, just because I don't agree doesn't mean that I can't still respect...or at least tolerate :unsure:

I don't think that the mods should have to approve every single cointest, either. My statement is that if you aren't sure about your cointest, run it by them, they are here to help!

Too much of a good thing can be bad. I agree. I also agree wholeheartedly about using common sense. I also agree with what you say about what happens if they become too common.

Unfortunately, there are a lot of people on this board and they all think or believe differently than what you, me, or anyone else does.

And for that, I'm glad. This place would be boring without it.

I don't want to get into a debate with you. I'm not saying what you are feeling is wrong, there is a lot I agree with, actually. I'm just trying to see a bigger picture and not have tunnelvision.

Just as you and some people are unhappy with how many cointests and missions there are on the board, there are others who are entirely happy with them and might even, God forbid, want more of them!

Some folks just want to give back some of the generosity that was given to them earlier. Some just feel good giving. Some enjoy the fun of cointests.

Some don't.

I guess it's just one of them thangs, ya know!

Naomi :ph34r:

You are contradicting yourself. You stated you wanted rules about cointests and to run them past the mods. Now you don't. Which is it?

What good are recommdations if they don't have to be followed? Guidelines are here for a reason, not a suggestion. Imagine if we were allowed to do anything we wanted and didn't have to follow the rules, because they were just recommedations. Yeah that would work!

MAYBE we can have a section up above for "announcements" but we'll need to keep it in the geocoin forums.

And Not have it be considered "off topic"

That way, we can let others know what we are

1. so darn proud of

2, new additions yes, even coins

3, etc

Bear in mind, I know what I am thinking of, Just not how to say it. We coiners have a little community going on here, is That a bad thing? I go to the OT forums but there are only 5 topics that I care to partake in. I'm not trying to be selfish with our comradity here. I think we should be allowed to keep our posts here - just maybe up above, so we don't pollute the down below - even though, some of us DO make these here forums more interesting :unsure: .

What is wrong with someone wanting to give a coin away in a cointest? Why do they have to wait for a special time to do it? Isn't this still a free country?

Nothing wrong with giving anything away. But this is a forum following a set of guidelines. What's wrong with posting the off topic contest in the off topic forum? I mean rules aren't a bad thing and are in place to help the majority of the people, not just the few who want to play in contests.

But if you are giving a geocoin away why would you put it in the off topic forum, shouldn't a geocoin be placed in the geocoin part of the forums?

"Nothing wrong with giving anything away. But this is a forum following a set of guidelines. What's wrong with posting the off topic contest in the off topic forum? I mean rules aren't a bad thing and are in place to help the majority of the people, not just the few who want to play in contests."

Why SHOULD we ? !

I personally don't think the cointests are OT. When I run one I would like to direct it to the appropiate audience ie coiners. For the most part they are not in the OT thread.

But if you are giving a geocoin away why would you put it in the off topic forum, shouldn't a geocoin be placed in the geocoin part of the forums?

This is like a big circle. Because the prize doesn't make the thread relevant. Eartha has even stated that, so it must be law now. :unsure:

I personally don't think the cointests are OT. When I run one I would like to direct it to the appropiate audience ie coiners. For the most part they are not in the OT thread.

I agree half way, if ya follow. I think this area is where the split needs to be to make all parties happy. Let the cointest people have their area, but keep it close enough to home that they don't get homesick. It truly seems like the easiest solution for so many people. The only thing in the way is getting GC to agree and do it.