Do we need separate forum(s) for Cointests and/or Missions?

UncleJimbo

I agree with AG too.

At the very least, lets close the threads when cointests are done.

And that premium membership...you can also pay $3 a month for it.

yep yep, you go Joni.

And yeah, for the shipping cost of one coin, a Premium membership. Pretty interesting to think about that when people that can't? afford it have their own coins made, buy coins, and trade/cointest coins on a regular basis. . . .

TMA

Again, the both of you forget that some people choose not to do the premium membership deal. It's their choice. Why should they be shut out for their convictions?

Again, even though the usual suspects agree with each other (didn't take Kreskin to see that one coming) it still didn't make AG right. She's dead in the wrong.

Wait a minute, you just agreed with her, now she is dead wrong :(:D

Like, I am sooo confused :D

I have disagreed with AG on a few things, and she with me, to say that the usual suspects agree is dead wrong :(

But just because I have disagreed with her, and her with me, doesn't mean I can't respect her opinion. That is one of the main problems here, as well as many forums, people are not nice enough, smart enough, courteous enough or whatever, to realize that there is more than one way to skin a cat. (No offense Pete)

That is one of the main problems here, as well as many forums, people are not nice enough, smart enough, courteous enough or whatever, to realize that there is more than one way to skin a cat. (No offense Pete)

None taken. I skinned that silly orange dude a few years ago myself. He bit me.

Anyway, go back and find -Eleanor-'s sig line. That sums up your statement about grasping opinions but still disagreeing. I've always liked that one.

TMA

Wait a minute, you just agreed with her, now she is dead wrong :(:D

Like, I am sooo confused :D

No need to be confused...if it came off as such in my posting I am sorry for not making myself clearer but I disagreed with then and still disagree with AG's "crybaby" name calling, especially when there are so many variables to consider.

What's rather funny is that even if they were to subcatagorize things into 2 or 3 different subthreads, almost everyone would end up looking at the other ones that they weren't so very interested in anyway, just to be sure they weren't missing out on stuff :(

You know it's true!!

Just admit it!

Hehehe!

Naomi :D

Well, that took a long time to get through.

Now,, I'm not anti-cointest, nor anti-mission. I just don't participate in them to speak of.

But, I have to agree that seperate threads would be a good idea. I do not argee that they need to be moved to the Off-Topic area. They are very much part of the coin topic.

I do agree that there should be some sort of time limit on cointests, though. I have no clue what it should be, and I will not presume to suggest one. But I do believe that cointests should run for two, three, or more weeks.

The Geocoin forum has evolved to the point that it needs to be split more into logical sections. It is time for some changes.

Edited by Shop99er

What's rather funny is that even if they were to subcatagorize things into 2 or 3 different subthreads, almost everyone would end up looking at the other ones that they weren't so very interested in anyway, just to be sure they weren't missing out on stuff :(

You know it's true!!

Just admit it!

Hehehe!

I couldn't disagree more. If it was split I would rarely be in the cointest area. Yea I would go from time to time when bored or someone called something to my attention, but other than that I am not sure I would be there much at all.

This is another example brought to light of the problem. Too many people use this place as a hand out service and are here trying to do nothing but get free things. Funniest of all is when these same people are crying when a cointest is ran and they get upset when they don't win. I answered one a short time ago and was the first correct answer without an edit, but was told I was second place. Me thinks it was a personal thing, but I don't care. I am not here to win it or anything. Typically my answers are flip or for fun. I don't need the coin.

Don't get me started on the number of beggers we have for mystery coins.

You know it's true!!

Just admit it!

Hehehe!

What would be funny would be actually taking a poll on that narrow statment. I count 46 non-pinned threads on Page One. I count 21 I've NEVER opened, and never have the urge to. Just the other day, someone asked me if I was gonna buy that brand new two or three part spinning coin. I said "what coin, I didn't see a thread on that". Why? Cuz I just don't read nearly half of what goes on. Simple personal choice, that's all.

You know it's true!!

Just admit it!

Hehehe!

What would be funny would be actually taking a poll on that narrow statment. I count 46 non-pinned threads on Page One. I count 21 I've NEVER opened, and never have the urge to. Just the other day, someone asked me if I was gonna buy that brand new two or three part spinning coin. I said "what coin, I didn't see a thread on that". Why? Cuz I just don't read nearly half of what goes on. Simple personal choice, that's all.

oh, and I'm still not buying that spinning coin, although I did dig that thread up at bottom of Page 2. unfortunately crushed under the weight of cointests, since it was a nice design :D

You know it's true!!

Just admit it!

Hehehe!

Naomi :(

I couldn't disagree more. If it was split I would rarely be in the cointest area. Yea I would go from time to time when bored or someone called something to my attention, but other than that I am not sure I would be there much at all.

This is another example brought to light of the problem. Too many people use this place as a hand out service and are here trying to do nothing but get free things. Funniest of all is when these same people are crying when a cointest is ran and they get upset when they don't win. I answered one a short time ago and was the first correct answer without an edit, but was told I was second place. Me thinks it was a personal thing, but I don't care. I am not here to win it or anything. Typically my answers are flip or for fun. I don't need the coin.

I hate to agree with the usual suspects :D , but I disagree as well, put a thread for cointests and you would never see me in there!!

ps, I reallly, really, really want a mickeydiver :D:D

The forums have changed a lot since I started coming here. People have come and stayed awhile and then disappeared only to sometimes reappear. Then there weren't any missions at all. Now quite frankly I am burned out on missions. Cointests were very few and far between and now also are very frequent. I admit that I like some o them and have run some myself. A lot of them are to announce something good that has happened to someone and they want to celebrate and have some fun. I see nothing wrong with those. I have gotten to know some of the cachers by the way they post--at least I think I do. For instance Fairyhoney and I like to quote lyrics....I especially like the cointests where caching related photos are posted. I always like to put a face to a name. The old picture one that shop99er ran was very funny too!

To be more on topic though. I have no problem just scanning the titles to get to the threads I actually want to read. I think it would be more burdensome to have to go to 2 or 3 different subfolders just to do the same thing I can do all at once as it is now.

You know it's true!!

Just admit it!

Hehehe!

Naomi :(

oh, and I'm still not buying that spinning coin, although I did dig that thread up at bottom of Page 2. unfortunately crushed under the weight of cointests, since it was a nice design :D

What spinning coin? Must have missed it too... :D

Another board I frequent has a post option for taking a poll. I understand that polls on this board need approval but the ability to allow people to vote one way or the other on this topic may help TPTB make the decision about whether or not to establish - what I think is technically called - a "child board" or subforum for the geocoin section.

Maybe the majority could have the say and that would hopefully end the angst that seems to have cropped up on this topic here and there.

Again...just an idea. :(

Did I miss something? What really started all of this? :D

You didn't miss anything. I just asked a question. My question was prompted by the explosion of cointest and mission threads recently. When I come to the Geocoin Forum lately I cannot find any threads about geocoins. That is all.

Not really a big deal. Just wondering. :(

Another board I frequent has a post option for taking a poll. I understand that polls on this board need approval but the ability to allow people to vote one way or the other on this topic may help TPTB make the decision about whether or not to establish - what I think is technically called - a "child board" or subforum for the geocoin section.

Maybe the majority could have the say and that would hopefully end the angst that seems to have cropped up on this topic here and there.

Again...just an idea. :(

Good idea.

No angst here, just a confluence of diverging opinions.

You know it's true!!

Just admit it!

Hehehe!

I am a begger in your eyes because i respond on the mysteriepost.,

I love to react on those post because i love the generousity from the mysteriecoiners.

I love to read the story's from people who get a mysteriecoin and i am truely happy when other coiners as i get a coin.

So i think you mean i am a mysterie begger, but i won't beg i am enthousiast. :D

I am also a enthousiactic cointest player, i love to seek the answer and love to read the reaction of coiners.

I love also to give cointest, a coin give away at good coiners.

I don't believe that coiners are begging for a coin by my cointest.

I believe in the goodness of people.

Nobody wants to upset other people only have fun.

i can remember a post from you that you where feeling sad, a lot of coiners give you then a coin, i do not think you was begging then.

Btw i love the off toppic forum, i think i belong there to.

Have you seen the trading thread? Let's just say they moved the cointests into it's own pinned thread and the missions into another pinned thread: Holy cow talk about confusion.....

For the record, I would rather not see the cointests lumped into a pinned topic. The mass confusion that is the Trading Pinned Topic is a big reason I have not traded.

Edited by UncleJimbo

I am a begger in your eyes because i respond on the mysteriepost.,

I love to react on those post because i love the generousity from the mysteriecoiners.

I love to read the story's from people who get a mysteriecoin and i am truely happy when other coiners as i get a coin.

So i think you mean i am a mysterie begger, but i won't beg i am enthousiast. :(

I am also a enthousiactic cointest player, i love to seek the answer and love to read the reaction of coiners.

I love also to give cointest, a coin give away at good coiners.

I don't believe that coiners are begging for a coin by my cointest.

I believe in the goodness of people.

Nobody wants to upset other people only have fun.

i can remember a post from you that you where feeling sad, a lot of coiners give you then a coin, i do not think you was begging then.

Btw i love the off toppic forum, i think i belong there to.

I don't know if you are a begger or not because I tend to skip those topics. It started leaving a bad taste in my mouth when everytime someone was kind enough to spend their money on being nice to the community, and all you see is a bunch of people sayign send one here. Once is one thing, but the same people begged for days for a coin. That's kind of taking the fun out of it doncha think? If you want to put that hat on and wear it, then that's your call. But don't tell me what my eyes see since you aren't behind them.

As for my thread, a few people sent coins (less than 3 total) and they were donated to GCF. If you didn't get the tongue in cheek thread then you probably won't get it now, but it basically was a way to express myself and frustration at how the forums have become nothing but a place for people to come to to whine, beg, and ask for freebies and hand outs. Everything I said there was true, but anyone who knows me knows I am not going to come here with all my personal drama for the world to see. I didn't want coins, I wanted to get over the hump of too many cointests and missions polluting the discussions.

This use to be about coin disciussions as the title implies. What's wrong with taking back the forums to what they are intended to be, use to be, and should be for? If you want to play off topic games, then why is it so bad to ask you to do that where it is intended to be? Heck I don't even think it needs to go to the general off topic forums, but rather think these people should get one here. Why's that bad?

there will always be enhancements to geocaching and the Forums you like and others you don't - Waymarking isn't for me for instance - you just avoid it.

As time passes we will find things change. When I left the forum a bout 18 months ago the swapping of non trackables was popular. Not many designed and sold their own coins. Most coins were either state, individual or geocaching related but times change. I personally dont like all the celtic mythology faeries etc etc and see no link to geocaching (Up until 1792 the word celt was only attached to a tribe at the head of the danube. It is more to do with irish nationalism than anything else) but each to their own. I recall all the angst back then about is it related to geocaching (if you don't remember I am sure Kealia and Hula bum might remind you!!!! :(

So maybe as the geocoin world evolves this isnt the best place to get news of new coins

I haven't done many missions (although I have learnt loads about places and cachers by fdoing them - I still cannot get over Idaha not having a freeway between it's 2 largest towns for instance)

So dont split it we are all smart enough to avoid the stuff we dont want to read. I for instance read of new coins but hate all the great coin, orderd 2 etc etc but that is just me

Bob

It's not getting split off into any off topic area, I already stated that earlier in the thread.

I do appreciate the feedback, but let's all keep showing respect for one and other in here. I'm glad this was brought back on topic. The feedback will help us decide what will work best. This will all be taken into consideration.

Discuss amongst yourselves, I'm watching and listening. Nothing will happen immediately. Please keep all posts on the subject matter to make it easier to wade through.

Eartha

Groundspeak Volunteer

............. Please keep all posts on the subject matter to make it easier to wade through.

Eartha

Groundspeak Volunteer

You hit the nail on the head on this one Eartha, the usual suspects could not have stated it better :(

Well I see we're bent on dragging this area down with the continuation of some great new cointests that have opened up... I think I'll head over to the pathtag forum were they talk about Pathtags and not silly. childish games.

I understand the feeling around these cointests but then to just add fuel to the fire only makes all these good points meaningless. sheesh

Did I miss something? What really started all of this? :D

You didn't miss anything. I just asked a question. My question was prompted by the explosion of cointest and mission threads recently. When I come to the Geocoin Forum lately I cannot find any threads about geocoins. That is all.

Not really a big deal. Just wondering. :(

It's a good question. Coin banter can push coin release threads so far down the list that you miss them. It's a real problem. I'm not sure there is enough banter that fits a catagory to deserve it's own sub heading under geocoins though.

I guess I don't have a preference. I can see the advantage of putting cointests in their own category only because if you're involved in more than one and timing is important it would make your posting easier. It would also clear up space on the first page for talk about coins. At the same time, this might just be a fad like any other than dissipates over time. I'm heartened by all the generosity myself even though I don't often participate. I think if people are really interested in talking about coins then they should just keep scanning to topics of interest and replying. They go back to the front of the line just like every other thread :D Why not bump the threads that you're interested in to revive them a bit? Same rules apply :(

snip... this topic may help TPTB make the decision about whether or not to establish ....snip

OK - I have seen TPTB used many times in the past, but I can't figure out what it mean... Guess I'm not that smart :(

To stay on topic - I think a sub-catergory under the geocoin forum for contests would work...

Again, the both of you forget that some people choose not to do the premium membership deal. It's their choice. Why should they be shut out for their convictions?

Cause Groundspeak is a business and you have to pay for the product? :D I understand some people don't want to pay on principle, but they are also the people who think they should get a free pass in life. :(

snip... this topic may help TPTB make the decision about whether or not to establish ....snip

OK - I have seen TPTB used many times in the past, but I can't figure out what it mean... Guess I'm not that smart :(

To stay on topic - I think a sub-catergory under the geocoin forum for contests would work...

TPTB

everyone would end up looking at the other ones that they weren't so very interested in anyway, just to be sure they weren't missing out on stuff :(

No, really I wouldn't :D Out of sight, out of mind.

Cause Groundspeak is a business and you have to pay for the product? :D

<<<<< See this red guy.. gonna play his advocate for a min.. So the Premium membership thing is a big issue... It's a money thing... is that the deal? Ok.. well think of this for a bit.. People that make trackable coins are paying a good chunk of change for the tracking..... Right? To whom? Why beat them down when they're promoting their product on the forums, by means of cointests, giveaways and such? While their product is being endorsed by Groundspeak.... I know I know.. not every cointest is for trackable coins.. some are for non trackables and sig items and such.. but still. This whole Geocoin forum is a great moneymaker. The more people that get pissed and leave, the less coins get made and the less revenue generated. I don't think it's a money problem at all, I think some people just don't wanna have to filter what they read.. they want the meat and not the veggies.. But, with such a large community we have here, you get .. well a lot of diversity. Sometimes you have to adopt a " that sucks but thats the way it is " attitude. Not everyone is gonna be happy. Such is life. Such is life in the forums.

Cause Groundspeak is a business and you have to pay for the product? :P

True, Groundspeak does have bills to pay. However, there should be no reason to pay for something that should be free. Discussing coins and playing in the occasional cointest should not have an admission price.

I want to clarify my position.

I could care less if someone has a premium membership or not. I just don't think we need to turn this forum into the off topic forum just because this forum is free to use and the other costs $3 a month.

Cointests - I really don't care where they are. I would love to see a child board in this forum, so that each of them has their own topic title. But if that doesn't happen, it won't ruin my day.

I would like to see people close cointests when they are done. Not a strict timeline, just "Okay, this is over, Grats to the winners, please close this thread"

Regards,

Kaiser Sousa

Again, even though the usual suspects agree with each other (didn't take Kreskin to see that one coming) it still didn't make AG right. She's dead in the wrong.

How can my personal opinion be wrong. I got news for you, it can't. You don't have to like my choice of words and/or may even model those words - moot issue either way. I don't come to the forums to find out who can't pay their electric bill, or who's dog ran away, or who fell off the roof last night. This subject matter doesn't concern me or concern geocoins and therefore doesn't belong here, IMO. It's also so abundant that it's burrying anything geocoin related that's worth reading. There are numerous other outlets online for chit-chat, ranting, whining, pity parties or whateve else that is being disguised as cointests these days. None of it belongs here in a forum dedicated to the designing, buying, selling and trading of geocoins.

How can my personal opinion be wrong. I got news for you, it can't. You don't have to like my choice of words and/or may even model those words - moot issue either way. I don't come to the forums to find out who can't pay their electric bill, or who's dog ran away, or who fell off the roof last night. This subject matter doesn't concern me or concern geocoins and therefore doesn't belong here, IMO. It's also so abundant that it's burrying anything geocoin related that's worth reading. There are numerous other outlets online for chit-chat, ranting, whining, pity parties or whateve else that is being disguised as cointests these days. None of it belongs here in a forum dedicated to the designing, buying, selling and trading of geocoins.

Well, I respectfully disagree with your opinion, then...there is a lot more that relates to geocoins than just the few examples you give. Whatever you think of cointests they are related to geocoins because the end result occurs with someone winning one. Not everything is as cut and dry as you'd like to make it.

However, the point I make is directly related to what I have highlighted in your post. If the forum was *just* about what you'd like without a little fun here and there it would be really boring.

You're right. There are too many people leeching off of others here. I get tired of hearing about how such and such needs our help. We all need help one way or the other but you don't need to bring it here. Sometimes we just need to suck it up and get thru it.

Edited by joranda

Well, I respectfully disagree with your opinion, then...there is a lot more that relates to geocoins than just the few examples you give. Whatever you think of cointests they are related to geocoins because the end result occurs with someone winning one. Not everything is as cut and dry as you'd like to make it.

So let's test this theory you have then. I claim it to be a theory because I see no proof yet to conclude you are right and my opinion is different than yours in this matter.

Open a thread in the general topics encouraging people to post pics, random pics of nothingness, just to make you laugh. Give it 72 hours. As a prize give away a bison tube, which is something that falls under that topic very nicely. If the thread isn't moved or closed, then maybe you are onto something, but if it is, then maybe I am closer to the right answer. I'll even pay for the bison tube. So you have nothing to lose, and all to gain. How about a link to the thread so we can all watch this one.

It's not getting split off into any off topic area, I already stated that earlier in the thread.

I do appreciate the feedback, ...

Eartha

Groundspeak Volunteer

Then what good is any feedback if all options aren't considered? This is just being closed minded and shows the decision is already made and nothing discussed here matters.

I would like to see cointests separated and somewhere else along with all the non topic stuff AG mentioned. I don't read half of the 'what was in your mailbox' and trading threads because of all the unrelated stuff anymore. Take that stuff to the off topic area or e-mail. I thought the geocoin thread was for the discussion of geocoins, sells, trades etc and not what happened to my neighbors dog last weekend.

I think this thread has turned into a discussion of all the off topic stuff in all the geocoin threads and maybe cointests are taking the blunt of the discussions, right or wrong.

So let's test this theory you have then. I claim it to be a theory because I see no proof yet to conclude you are right and my opinion is different than yours in this matter.

Open a thread in the general topics encouraging people to post pics, random pics of nothingness, just to make you laugh. Give it 72 hours. As a prize give away a bison tube, which is something that falls under that topic very nicely. If the thread isn't moved or closed, then maybe you are onto something, but if it is, then maybe I am closer to the right answer. I'll even pay for the bison tube. So you have nothing to lose, and all to gain. How about a link to the thread so we can all watch this one.

Heck, I took the bait. Let's see what happens. :P

Heck, I took the bait. Let's see what happens. :P

You changed it. You made it as caching related as you could. The idea behind this is the prize alone makes it related. I still don't think it will last, but it stands a much better chance than a duplicate of a contest here. We need to comapare apples to apples not apples to oranges. Now if you edit it to reflect the same as was held here, we will have a comparison.

Let's just see how it fairs this way first. Why not stay in the guidelines if you are doing it for real. :P

You are missing the point and I can't tell if it's on purpose or you just aren't undderstanding me. Is it in the guidelines or not when the prize is the only thing related to the place where the contest is held. This is the theory we are trying to test. Your contest is about as caching related as you could make it. That doesn't test anything at all.

I want to clarify my position.

I could care less if someone has a premium membership or not. I just don't think we need to turn this forum into the off topic forum just because this forum is free to use and the other costs $3 a month.

Cointests - I really don't care where they are. I would love to see a child board in this forum, so that each of them has their own topic title. But if that doesn't happen, it won't ruin my day.

I would like to see people close cointests when they are done. Not a strict timeline, just "Okay, this is over, Grats to the winners, please close this thread"

Regards,

Kaiser Sousa

I can agree with that. No reason for a Cointest thread to remain open much longer after it is over. I recently posted an entry in one before I realized it was finished a month ago. They would fall off the charts after finished .