Legend Cx Stolen/Colorado replacement?

My car was broken into and they got my trusty Legend Cx. I'm looking to replace it. Although I haven't done much Geocaching lately, me and the boys would like to start again. I think one of the things that kept me from going out more, was printing everything up for a day of caching. I was thinking the new Colorado series with the built in paperless geocaching looked like an option. Then I have to decide between the 300 and the 400t. I'm looking to stay with Garmin. I've been reading here about the problems others have had. So I'm looking to hear from the people who actually own the Colorado 300 or 400t.

If I can help you in your decision, I'd say neither... if it's Geocaching that will be your main use of the GPS, the a 60Cx or 60Csx will be your best bet... I recently got a Colorado 300 and within 72 hours, it was returned... While the papreless caching was a benifit for caching itself... I (and others) feel like geocaching was an afterthought by Garmin on this model

If I can help you in your decision, I'd say neither... if it's Geocaching that will be your main use of the GPS, the a 60Cx or 60Csx will be your best bet... I recently got a Colorado 300 and within 72 hours, it was returned... While the papreless caching was a benifit for caching itself... I (and others) feel like geocaching was an afterthought by Garmin on this model

Geocaching was an after thought on the colorado? Are you really serious. This unit was designed for geocaching. I own both units, I have had a Colorado for about a month and 60 CSx for close to 2 years. The colorado has most of the features of the 60CSx plus the ability to paperless cache. The 60CSx is a good unit too and I have no complaints, it is a solid, reliable gps units and if you can deal with abbreiations for cache descriptions and hints then it works fine for geocaching. The colorado opens up a whole new world for geocaching, I no longer have to carry my pda with me when I cache because of the colorado and for the past months I have had no issues with it.

I am curious what you experienced with that 72 hours that you returned it?

My car was broken into and they got my trusty Legend Cx. I'm looking to replace it. Although I haven't done much Geocaching lately, me and the boys would like to start again. I think one of the things that kept me from going out more, was printing everything up for a day of caching. I was thinking the new Colorado series with the built in paperless geocaching looked like an option. Then I have to decide between the 300 and the 400t. I'm looking to stay with Garmin. I've been reading here about the problems others have had. So I'm looking to hear from the people who actually own the Colorado 300 or 400t.

Here are my thoughts. When I first read about the Colorado I thought that Garmin had one of the best new GPSs that I'd ever seen. On paper. I went to REI and tried it out. Yuck. That GPS has great potential and missed the mark or at least how I would actually use the GPS. For my purpose which is getting to the cache using maps and changing from auto routing to off road the GPS 60 would work far better.

The Colorado works, but it's so different that some things that used to be simple are now complex, some things that I did use are missing and some things that I've never used (but would) are now built into the GPS. It's a new animal in need of fine tuning. Entering a waypoint with the scroll wheel should have been simple. They made it more complex than the older GPSs.

If my GPS V were stolen (Oh, I didn't get a 60Cx it's not better enough than my V, and I didn't get a Colorado it's not Better than the 60Cx to be worth it) I'd either get another Bargin Bin V or the 60Cx. I'd be happy with a Legend HCx as well.

Edited by Renegade Knight

The Colorado works, but it's so different that some things that used to be simple are now complex, some things that I did use are missing and some things that I've never used (but would) are now built into the GPS. It's a new animal in need of fine tuning. Entering a waypoint with the scroll wheel should have been simple. They made it more complex than the older GPSs.

Well my primary gps prior to the colorado was explorist 600 and my better half uses a garmin 60Csx. It took some getting used operating the colorado from the explorist but my better half had problems navigating it because she is used to the garmin 60CSx. I have only had the colorado for a month and I do believe it will become a excellent gps like the 60CSx after they work out the bugs and add some more features which I am sure is on the horizon. I agree with the other poster for entering a manual waypoint is a pain which I experienced doing a multi-cache over the weekend. So far it hasn't failed me and I can finally leave my PDA at home so one less thing I have to carry around is always good. I have not run into the coords being off by like 200 ft or tracks that are way off the path or any serious problems which have been reported.

There is a learning curve with the Colorado. That shouldn't turn people away but attract them. There are so many features available you can't expect to have them mastered in 72 hours. Some people's hatred of an item they can't figure out initially is astounding. I am very skeptical of the ones who say they returned a unit 3 and 4 times. The odds they recieved that many defective units are very low. This unit is the most comprehensive geocaching unit out there. Period.

I have to say that for caching, the Colorado is fantastic. I've been without a GPS for about 14 months after selling my 60Cx and now I've got the Colorado. Sure, it takes getting used to, but for caching, it beats taking reams of paper or a separate PDA with Cachemate on it in my opinion. And yes, I've tried both other options. I'm slowly but surely getting to grips with the Colorado, I'm still not terribly fond of the text input using the scroll wheel, but overall I am pleased with the Colorado.

I have to say that for caching, the Colorado is fantastic. I've been without a GPS for about 14 months after selling my 60Cx and now I've got the Colorado. Sure, it takes getting used to, but for caching, it beats taking reams of paper or a separate PDA with Cachemate on it in my opinion. And yes, I've tried both other options. I'm slowly but surely getting to grips with the Colorado, I'm still not terribly fond of the text input using the scroll wheel, but overall I am pleased with the Colorado.

So is the text input with the scroll wheel any more difficult than text input with a joystick like on the Legend Cx? Also, all of you Colorado owners....which one? The 300 or 400T?

I was ready to hate the Colorado, but it's so beautiful that any preconceived notions melted away when I saw the huge, superfine resolution screen. The resolution is much finer than the nuvi range and to my mind the portrait format of the screen makes it more usable. The more I use it the more I like it.

Close spaced contour lines are actually useable on this screen, and furthermore they can be put in automotive mode for a faux 3D look which really helps to visualise the lay of the land.

The scroll wheel is a little slower than the pick stick but not by much, however it's a lot better than the terrible spongy two handed text input on the 60CSx.

If you want a dual purpose caching/car gps then it's no contest.

The minor irritations of the Colorado in no way diminish what a superb instrument this is, and it can only get better.

Edited by gallet

So is the text input with the scroll wheel any more difficult than text input with a joystick like on the Legend Cx? Also, all of you Colorado owners....which one? The 300 or 400T?

Depends on whether or not you already have Topo 2008 software? The 300 has just the basemap. The 400T has US topo 2008 fully loaded on the 300 on a SD card. I would say if you have the software already get the 300 if not get the 400T unless of course you want to install topo 2008 to your computer and do routes and stuff through mapsource in that case you will need to buy the DVD because you cannot use you SD topo on your computer.

However the units are the same except for the internal memory which doesn't really matter too much since you will be using SD cards for your maps.

I second red90's sediments, i found it took about 2 weeks to get the hang of the colorado. That was back just before firmware 2.4 just came out. Beta 2.51 has fixed many bugs and I'm sure 2.6 will be a big change probably with a new round of bugs. But overall,a great geocache machine.

Depends on whether or not you already have Topo 2008 software? The 300 has just the basemap. The 400T has US topo 2008 fully loaded on the 300 on a SD card. I would say if you have the software already get the 300 if not get the 400T unless of course you want to install topo 2008 to your computer and do routes and stuff through mapsource in that case you will need to buy the DVD because you cannot use you SD topo on your computer.

However the units are the same except for the internal memory which doesn't really matter too much since you will be using SD cards for your maps.

I don't have the topo maps. I never had or used them in the Legend either. I have City Navigator V.7 but that's it. We never used topo maps for caching. Most if not all the caches we've done were very easy walks because I have small kids.

I have the Colorado 300 and I'm happy with it. I had a 76S before and the Colorado holds a lock much better, as do most of the new units and its paperless (almost) caching is great. I have City Nav NT 2008 loaded on my 4GB SDHC card and aside from some corrections that Garmin is working on, I have few problems with the unit. I also would ignore anyone complaining that has only used this unit for a short time (no offense)....its just that it takes time to get used to the unit and learn its ins and outs and in their defense, early on Garmin had a some hardware problems also but they appear to be solved. Check out g-o-cashers site for more info. http://garmincolorado.wikispaces.com/

Edited by WoodenShoe

So the difference between the 300 and the 400t is the topo maps. I've never used them anyway so it sounds like I may be better off saving the money and getting the 300? Have to admit I'm still a little concerned about the other posts here and the issues plaguing the Colorado series.

So the difference between the 300 and the 400t is the topo maps. I've never used them anyway so it sounds like I may be better off saving the money and getting the 300?

Yes, BUT, the US topo maps include DEM data which give a shaded relief view or a true 3D view on the Colorado that looks amazing and is very helpful.

Edited by Red90

Not to mention that the topo is detailed enough to show you streams that may impede your geocaching hunt.

This is a good point. I still haven't made up my mind though. All these bugs being reported have me a leary of the Colorado right now. I'm in no rush so I'll keep checking here and watching the prices. Almost $500 is alot of cash to drop on a toy, especially one that doesn't work right all of the time.

Edited by mike91911