New to Benchmarking

xxxOLDDOGxxx

Yesterday I went to try to find my first benchmark. All I found was a white survey marker stating that a historical marker was nearby and to call the county engineers if removed or disturbed. I continued to search around and a bout 1 foot away from themarker was a round ,copper acces panel in the ground about 4-5 inches around .I lefted the panel and the only thing inside was a metal rod about the size of a finger. I looked evrywhere for the marker. Can anyone tell what that rod was? It was right where the cordinates of the marker. Thank you for your help

Without knowing the location and/or the PID of the marker, all of us can only assume. However, it sounds like you found it. Many newer surveys - especally along roads (at least out in the west midwest - are rods driven to a certain depth, and then protected by a cap or metal access plate. The panel you mention should have had stamping on the outside rim with data that matched your benchmark. The metal rod WAS the station, in other words, so it sounds like you found it!

Welcome to benchmark hunting! :(

I'd agree...without looking at the datasheet for the specific station you searched for, I'd have to also guess that you found it. Did it look anything like this?

387b384f-7263-4dba-8fad-e5fbe0f45050.jpg

As foxtrot_xray said, a lot of newer stations are this type of mark. Stainless steel rod is driven into the ground in five-foot sections if I recall correctly, until it won't go any further, then rounded off and a sleeve is placed around it. The top of the rod is the bench mark.

Welcome, and keep asking questions--it's the best way to learn! I recovered a few of these before I learned about the stamping in the rim. Now I'm going back out to "re-recover" and take more pictures.

Andy

It looked exactly like this. So now I know to go back and take a picture of it .Thank you all for helping me recover my first benchmark.My family and I are new at this and love it. One last question should I post the picture when I log my visit?

Edited by bulljaxx

Yes...what you place in the photo is up to you. I like to get at least the stamping, so I know what mark it is, and the rod in the background. I'll also include my GPS if I want a record of the actual coordinates on a scaled mark. Many people also take a wider photo, showing the general area and the location of the benchmark. I label mine with an arrow and the PID most of the time, others put a colored circle or square around the station. This can be helpful to others who search for the mark after you.

For example, I posted two photos for the mark pictured above: RL1456.

The photos are helpful. First, they prove you found the right mark. They can also help those who come behind you to find the mark. Posting photos isn't required, but it is recommended when possible.

For more ideas on photos and to see what others are doing, visit the Benchmark Gallery.

Happy hunting!

a bout 1 foot away from themarker was a round ,copper acces panel in the ground about 4-5 inches around .I lefted the panel and the only thing inside was a metal rod about the size of a finger. I looked evrywhere for the marker. Can anyone tell what that rod was?

I agree with the others that you probably found the survey mark. Does the data sheet say, "Marker Type: metal rod," and does the "Documented History" section of it say something like, "NOTE--ACCESS TO DATUM POINT IS HAD THROUGH A 5-INCH LOGO CAP." If so, then that's exactly what you found.

What is the benchmark number (PID) of the mark you were looking for?

Patty

bulljaxx -

The others have posted excellent responses, but here's what I have to add.

For a rod-type marker, 3 pictures should be taken, and posted.

1. A 'distant' shot, from maybe 10 feet away, with the mark (or its lid) in the view. If it's difficult to see exactly where it is on the picture you take, edit the picture and insert an arrow pointing to it.

2. A closeup shot of the designation (like M 165) that's on the rim of the cover.

3. A closeup shot of the rod to show its condition.

For regular markers, taking a 'distant' shot and a closeup so that anyone can look at the picture and read the designation (the station's name) on it is the best combination. The reasoning for the 2 shots is:

1. the distant shot is to make the mark easy to find for the next person - the goal of benchmark recovery.

2. the closeup is to prove to all that you found the correct mark.

If you looked for a marker, say M 165, and found in the immediate area a different marker, such as D 79332-4, you should log a Didn't Find It, and post your pictures anyway, so the next person looking will see what is not the correct mark.

Welcome to benchmark hunting! :D

One nice touch to the pictures is to have the GPSr in the close-up with the coordinates showing so the next person will have accurate coordinates when they go looking for the mark. :D

Of course, for logging benchmarks it is not really needed to take and post pictures.

Many benchmarkers just like to look at the benchmark gallery to see the great scenery where benchmarks have been recovered.

John

One nice touch to the pictures is to have the GPSr in the close-up with the coordinates showing so the next person will have accurate coordinates when they go looking for the mark.

Also, Geocaching.com lets you add a waypoint when you log a benchmark found, so that's a good place to put the coordinates. Usually easier to read than the screen of a GPS receiver in a photo, too!

Patty

Also, Geocaching.com lets you add a waypoint when you log a benchmark found, so that's a good place to put the coordinates. Usually easier to read than the screen of a GPS receiver in a photo, too!

Patty

Exactly!

In my opinion, a GPS receiver included in the mark's closeup picture always detracts from the quality of the picture. I've heard that some people like to keep track of the coordinates that way instead of taking notes and that certainly makes sense, but 2 pictures can be taken, one with GPSr in the view and one without, and only upload the one without.

In my opinion, a GPS receiver included in the mark's closeup picture always detracts from the quality of the picture. ...

I'll vote for that! And look at the Gallery. 50% or more of the time you can't read the GPS screen in those photos anyway!

Papa, are those the same pictures where you can not read the stampings on the disk? Why do they bother posting a picture that is of such poor quality? :(

bulljaxx, take whatever type of picture you want since this is only for your personal enjoyment. It's only a hobby and if you don't feel the need to Prove to others that you found the correct disk, then pass on taking pictures.

Whatever you choose to do, have fun doing it.

John

I posted 1 picture. Not a very good on either. My next one will be better.

Congratulations on your first find!

That is a great picture, as it looked like it was raining. It would definitely let a surveyor or the next benchmark hunter know that was the correct disk and still in good shape. That is what our true aim is.

The pretty pictures are a nice second wish of some of the old timers....."We love pictures!"

Shirley - the other half of 2oldfarts

In my opinion, a GPS receiver included in the mark's closeup picture always detracts from the quality of the picture. ...

I'll vote for that! And look at the Gallery. 50% or more of the time you can't read the GPS screen in those photos anyway!

Guilty on one I found yesterday- but only because the image was scaled down so far that you couldn't read it. I posted a closer "benchmark-only" version of it as well. If I include the GPSr in the future I'll make sure you can read it.