Colorado 400t problems

Hi,

I am having trouble with my 400t. I have had it for a couple of months and was geocaching with it and like it alot. lately I have had problems with the thing. 2 issues. First. When I am going after a cache and select it on the geocache page a heavy purple line goes from me to the cache site. It used to follow along with me to the cache. Now a thin light purple line goes with me and the old purple line stays in place exactly at is was. The thing gets "wacky" when I approach the cache site. Also the compass on the full screen compass (selected on the cache info page) shows both a red arrow and a blue arrow and totally jumps around as I sit still or approach the cache. It seems to track like a heading arrow and an arrow pointing at the cache but it doesn't track that way. I have the track shut off, have the compass turned off. I called Garmin the the tech guy (who didn't know what he was doing from what I could tell as he had to get a unit to look at the basic screens I was talking about) told me that it was normal. Thing is it has degraded to this point from a point that had one red arrow on the compass and the heavy purple line tracked with me like it would on the Vista or the 76CSx. I am also running the Beta 2.51 firmware.

Can I zero out the firmware and reload it to try that? another fix?

Thanks

ron

Hi,

I am having trouble with my 400t. I have had it for a couple of months and was geocaching with it and like it alot. lately I have had problems with the thing. 2 issues. First. When I am going after a cache and select it on the geocache page a heavy purple line goes from me to the cache site. It used to follow along with me to the cache. Now a thin light purple line goes with me and the old purple line stays in place exactly at is was. The thing gets "wacky" when I approach the cache site. Also the compass on the full screen compass (selected on the cache info page) shows both a red arrow and a blue arrow and totally jumps around as I sit still or approach the cache. It seems to track like a heading arrow and an arrow pointing at the cache but it doesn't track that way. I have the track shut off, have the compass turned off. I called Garmin the the tech guy (who didn't know what he was doing from what I could tell as he had to get a unit to look at the basic screens I was talking about) told me that it was normal. Thing is it has degraded to this point from a point that had one red arrow on the compass and the heavy purple line tracked with me like it would on the Vista or the 76CSx. I am also running the Beta 2.51 firmware.

Can I zero out the firmware and reload it to try that? another fix?

Thanks

ron

You have switched the compass to course pointer mode. Goto Others->Compass->Options->Bearing Pointer and this should fix the problem with the additional purple line and remove the blue arrow. If you are interested in what course pointer mode does check out C6 here:

http://garmincolorado.wikispaces.com/Compass

As for the issue of spinning when you get near your destination it is probably because you either don't have the electronic compass calibrated or aren't holding the unit level. I recommend turning the compass off unless you need it -- even then I would just enable it to get a bearing and then shut it off again. Info on the link above about how to disable/enable the compass.

GO$Rs

You have switched the compass to course pointer mode. Goto Others->Compass->Options->Bearing Pointer and this should fix the problem with the additional purple line and remove the blue arrow. If you are interested in what course pointer mode does check out C6 here:

GO$Rs

I can't find a bearing mode under compass. I went to others and there is not a compass section and then went to compass and found 3 options site n go calibrate and another one for how to set the heading. no bearing pointer. am I missing it someplace?

Thanks for all of your help.

Ron

Good point, I had forgot there was a separate configuration for this. That would explain the double purple line on the map. But to get rid of the blue arrow (direction to perpendicular) on the compass page you'll need to change the compass to bearing pointer mode.

It almost sounds like you changed to the Marine profile since multiple configurations were changed. Check to see which profile you are using.

GO$Rs