Colorado Auto Mount

Does the factory auto mount work as a window suction mount or not.It doesn't say in the remarks and I can't tell from the picture.RAM makes some sweet ones but you need a power cable to do it right and the only cord I see is with the factory mount.The unit is heavier than most so you will need the best mount if you use it off road.So what do you guys think?

I too use a Ram suction mount, the Garmin mount, in my opinion is of poor quality and falls off often (at least mine and a few others did). I combined some parts of the Garmin mount with a Ram Suction mount I had for my 76S and made a great mount. My cousin has the complete Ram mount and finds the supplied cradle for the Colorado to be more difficult to use than the holder for the Garmin unit, but solid. I have the bike adapter from Ram also but as yet have not used it. Under my profile at geocaching.com in gallery I have some pictures of what I did...wish I could buy just the clip from Garmin and make some more adapters. The combo works nice.

You can use the supplied USB cable with any USB power source to power the unit. 12 Volt to USB adapters are only a few dollars.

While this statement is true, using the supplied USB cable to power your Colorado will throw it into mass storage mode, so you won't be able to use it as a GPS.

While this statement is true, using the supplied USB cable to power your Colorado will throw it into mass storage mode, so you won't be able to use it as a GPS.

No....

With the current firmware (2.51) you can have the unit in GPS mode with a normal USB cable.....

Does the factory auto mount work as a window suction mount or not.

FWIW--Window suction mounts are illegal in Minnesota and California. I live in MN and have been using a RAM suction mount with a 60CSx for two years. I'm not sure what the penalty is but I'll let you know when I find out.

I use the RAM mount with the "Easy Roller" feature. Absolute godsend, holds the unit secure and yet it's easy to pop the GPS in and out. Nice thing about the RAM mounts is that it is a system. If your state/province turns around and bans the suction cup, all you have to do is get a different base and keep the head. I've also been known to keep a base on my mountain bike and move the head back and forth between the car and the bike.

Just make sure you disconnect the USB before attempting to take the GPS out, or you'll put extreme pressure on the connector.

I have a RAM mount with a twist lock suction cup base. The first time out it fell off the window. My Colorado locked up as a result. I had to remove the batteries to reset it. I was on a bumpy bush road though but still I was hoping I would not have this problem. What I am thinking of doing is tying a string around the mount and my rearview mirror. This way if it falls off at least it will just hang there. Hmmm could be an idea for a new product.