Hello from Frederick, MD

AF Bmet

Getting into GC and wondering what GPSr other cachers in the area are using. I would also like to know of any good beginner catches that I can take the family on. I have been married for 11 years and have a daughter 9 and son 4. I have found 1 catch on my own using wifes Nuvi and pilotsnipes macro. It got the job done but I would like to use a stand alone unit and my Ipaq using gpxsonar for paperless geocaching. I am thinking about getting a gpsmap 60/76 csx. I have been talking myself out of the colorado. Right now I would just like to try out a 60 and 76 to see what button configuration I prefer. I am also looking at how to document my caching using GSAK and geocaching.com. I would like to be able to talk to somebody local and see or how you manage all of your geocaching data and stats and see what kind of newby advice you can give me. well back to work lunch is over :)

Do you have an REI (Recreational Equipment Incorporated) store in your area? They have all the different GPS units in stock and you can try out each of them. You might look at the eTrex units, including the Legend HCx and Vista HCx. Those can do everything the 76Cx/CSx or 60Cx/CSx can do, but in a smaller unit.

GSAK is a great tool and the guys over at the GSAK.net Forums really know their stuff if you have questions when you get started with it.

AF Bmet - Welcome to Maryland caching - I see from another post you have joined MDGS :( - That is first step in getting many of your questions answered. You should also log onto the MGS Forums for info on the Geocaching scene in MD.

Also, attending an event will put you in contact with many local cachers, who you will find are more than willing to share info.

MGS Coin, Pin & Swag Swap is an event in Mt. Airy on 6/28/08, and is only 15 miles east of Frederick. :) Be assured you will be more than welcome. :D

As for GPSr units, you will find many varied opinions on that subject. I am very satisfied with a 60CSx, which is very compatable with GSAK, and and the "Send to GPS" button on the individual cache pages.

Edited by SharpShin'