mapsource software

If I buy a GPS from someone that offers the Mapsource disk - can I use their unlock codes on my computer?

Let's get the terminology straight before I try to answer your question.

MapSource is simply the computer software used to interface with the GPS device. MapSource is not a mapset. Once you install a mapset to your computer, it will appear in MapSource, and you can then use MapSource to select the map segments you want (let's say, Kansas and Missouri) and upload them to the device.

All Garmin devices come with MapSource. It is provided on a CD called "Trip and Waypoint Manager" (why isn't it just called MapSource - who knows?) If the person you are buying from doesn't have this disk anymore, you can download MapSource for free from the Garmin website at this link.

Now for the maps. When you first purchase a mapset like City Navigator, you have to unlock it twice: first to get it onto your computer, and second to send the maps to your device. Once the mapset is unlocked on the device, you don't need to unlock the maps on the device again, even if you upload different map segments. The device and the mapset are permanently (more or less) tied together. However, you will still need the unlock code if you want to re-install the mapset on your computer, or if you want to install the mapset onto a new computer (each unlock code provides a one-user license, so you can't have the mapset on two computers at once).

Ok, now that I've given you the background (and sorry if you already knew this), let's put it in practice: Let's assume the person is selling you a used Garmin Legend with a City Navigator mapset. If that person previously unlocked City Navigator to the Legend, then the Legend is ready to accept uploads of City Navigator map segments (using MapSource). BUT, before you can do this, you first need to install MapSource and the City Navigator mapset to your computer. For this, you'll need the person's 25 digit unlock code. If he registered his mapset like a good boy, Garmin will e-mail him the 25 digit unlock code if he doesn't have it anymore.

Get the seller to transfer his registration to you. Here's a guide on how to do that.

After installing MapSource and City Navigator, you'll be promted to unlock the maps. Select the option that says you have a 25 digit code, then enter the code, and you are done.

GREAT RESPONSE! Thanks that clears up alot! Confusion has dispersed now. He said he had no unlock codes so I assume what he has is the base maps which don't offer much detail. He said they were TOPO maps.

I was assuming he had the good stuff!

Thanks so much for your help - very informative!

Edited by GPS-Hermit

GREAT RESPONSE! Thanks that clears up alot! Confusion has dispersed now. He said he had no unlock codes so I assume what he has is the base maps which don't offer much detail. He said they were TOPO maps.

I was assuming he had the good stuff!

Thanks so much for your help - very informative!

Edited by GPS-Hermit

The Topo maps don't have unlock codes, so you can purchase those second-hand. The City Navigator maps do have unlock codes, so unless you are purchasing those with the GPS unit they have been unlocked to, they shouldn't be purchased second-hand.

Correct. Mapsets such as U.S. Topo and Topo 24k National Parks do not have unlock codes, so you've got nothing to worry about there. City Navigator is the tough one. The preloaded basemap on the eTrex is autorouting, but limited to major roads and highways. City Navigator is pretty much essential for street navigation. If your Legend doesn't have that, I'd recommend buying it.

All Garmin devices come with MapSource. It is provided on a CD called "Trip and Waypoint Manager" (why isn't it just called MapSource - who knows?)
Trip and Waypoint Manager is more than just the MapSource program. It includes a worldwide base map, and if you have it installed in MapSource it appears in the product selector dropdown box as a separate product “Trip and Waypoint Manager”. Selecting it gives you access to the worldwide base map.

If you start with a computer that does not have MapSource installed on it, and install a product such as City Navigator, you will then have MapSource, but you will not have Trip and Waypoint Manager. That is, you will not have the worldwide base map in MapSource unless you also install Trip and Waypoint Manager.

Although you can’t transfer the Trip and Waypoint Manager worldwide base map to a receiver, and it has only the typical base map level of detail, it is useful to have on the computer if you collect waypoints or tracks from countries that are not shown in other map products that you have installed and want to see them on a map for context.

I need to make a small correction.

bmirak said above: "All Garmin devices come with MapSource. It is provided on a CD called "Trip and Waypoint Manager" (why isn't it just called MapSource - who knows?) If the person you are buying from doesn't have this disk anymore, you can download MapSource for free from the Garmin website at this link."

Neither my old blue Legend nor my 60Cx came with a CD. Most newer gps models do come with it, however. If you need the Mapsource-only CD separately, you can find it for sale at garmin.com or at vendors. I recall it was something like $26.

No, you cannot just download the Mapsource, ver 6.13.7 now, and install it. Right there on their website for it, they say that you must already have a mapping product installed. The download is only an update.

So, you can buy Mapsource separately, or buy Garmin mapping products. All Garmin mapping products have Mapsource included.

OK, so reading through this thread I am now more than a little confused. I have TOPO xxx which came with a 25 digit unlock code and is installed on my laptop.

Yesterday I installed the same DVD on my PC and as part of the installation process was asked to enter my 25 digit unlock code which I did. Hey presto - smooth install and I can now upload/download routes etc to my laptop from my GPS unit when on the road and repeat the process back at home on the PC.

Like I said, I'm now a bit confused because reading the posts above it shouldn't be possible to do this - or am I missing something?

Edited by Alter Nereus

The posts above are confusing as the answers are specific to the 'Home' Country of the poster!

All Garmin devices come with MapSource. It is provided on a CD called "Trip and Waypoint Manager"

Not true in the UK as I bought a Colorado and Oregon for my family and have not seen one yet.

MapSource for free from the Garmin website at this link.

This is no good in the UK unless you have a previous MapSource [so no "Trip and Waypoint Manager" - NO Mapsource] unless you have CityNavigator/TOPO

The Topo maps don't have unlock codes, so you can purchase those second-hand.

Not true in the UK. Topo GB has 'unlock codes' so they are worthless in the UK without codes.

Please state the origins of the advice you give, otherwise we end up more confused.

Please state your home country when you ask for help.

This is a powerful international forum not just for an individual country, without this forum I would be lost [even with four GPS units :):) ]

OK, so reading through this thread I am now more than a little confused. I have TOPO xxx which came with a 25 digit unlock code and is installed on my laptop.

Neither Garmin topo US 3.02 or the newer topo US 2008 have any unlock codes. are you using a different version of topo?

Neither Garmin topo US 3.02 or the newer topo US 2008 have any unlock codes. are you using a different version of topo?

The Topo Great Britain versions are routable and require unlock codes.

The posts above are confusing as the answers are specific to the 'Home' Country of the poster!

All Garmin devices come with MapSource. It is provided on a CD called "Trip and Waypoint Manager"

Not true in the UK as I bought a Colorado and Oregon for my family and have not seen one yet.

MapSource for free from the Garmin website at this link.

This is no good in the UK unless you have a previous MapSource [so no "Trip and Waypoint Manager" - NO Mapsource] unless you have CityNavigator/TOPO

You could try downloading and installing Garmin's free Training Center software, then it should allow you to install the Mapsource upgrade. Then you would have a full version of Mapsource (with only the basemap). I'd recommend version 6.13.7 as people are having trouble with 6.14.1.

@ strumble

Thanks for the link. Boy, wish I'd read it before installing 6.14.1

I just put the slow redraw and funnily looking map down to my imagination, bad eye-sight or both. Having read that thread I am comforted that in fact my eye-sight is not failing and the imagination is running at spec.

Just downloaded the the 6.13.7 version and will go through all this reverting rigmarole tomorrow. :-(

Edit: There is one thing that I do like about 6.14.1. When in the rough and walking blind using the unit to simply record my track and switching it off (to conserve battery power) during breaks, when uploaded to MapSource it of course shows multiple tracks. In 6.14.1 there was/is the ability to Alt+click the first and last track and in the drop-down menu and choose "Join all selected tracks". This function was not present in 6.13.7 unless I missed something.

Edited by Alter Nereus

Ok then - the uninstall of 6.14.1 went smoothly using Windows install/uninstall feature followed by the install of 6.13.7.

Indeed the 'join tracks' feature is now present as it was with 6.14.1 so heavans only knows what version I installed that didn't have this feature - obviously since before 6.11.3 as mentioned above. I must remember to check for updates more often, although of course not before checking the forum.

Looking back over the posts, the dissatisfaction of most users with 6.14.1 seems to go back a fair while now and I'm surprised (should I be?) that Garmin haven't reacted in any way.

Oh, well all's now tickerty-boo as they say so thanks all for the advice given. :-)