Earthcaches

cincol

Awesome news!

I've got 154 ECs in SA in my gsak, with only two archived, for 152 active ECs. Some interesting info (ala Danie Viljoen)

ECs by Prov

Eastern Cape 20

Free State 4

Gauteng 27

Kwazulu Natal 16

Limpopo 15

Mpumalanga 28

North West 5

Northern Cape 8

Western Cape 29

By year placed

2005 3

2007 2

2008 36

2009 50

2010 48

2011 13

Top 10 EC COs (anyone with more than 1 hide)

Rank Cache Owner Number EC placed

1 Carbon Hunter 27

2 iPajero 25

3 Bouts777 11

4 Sterreman 8

4 RedGlobe 8

5 hennieventer 7

6 GPS Storm 6

7 HeinG 5

8 cincol & Carbon Hunter 4

9 W@lly 3

9 tomtwogates 3

9 Rhino and Hedgehog 3

9 mr panda 3

9 Me & Bucky 3

9 iNokia 3

9 gerhardoosMPsa 3

10 Urban Campers 2

10 road_runner & susi 2

10 Hesamati 2

10 Fish Eagle 2

10 DRDM & Raider 2

10 Cism 2

Awesome news!

I've got 154 ECs in SA in my gsak, with only two archived, for 152 active ECs. Some interesting info (ala Danie Viljoen)

By year placed

2005 3

2007 2

2008 36

2009 50

2010 48

2011 13

It's strange that EC's get archived - I know the one that DingBat did on Erosion in Kempton Park has now been developed and the urban EC is no longer available (which was the other one)?

It is also interesting to note that the new guidelines that came out really seem to have stifled EC development in the country - a drop from around 50 per year down to 25% of that! I didn't realise it was that bad!

It's strange that EC's get archived - I know the one that DingBat did on Erosion in Kempton Park has now been developed and the urban EC is no longer available (which was the other one)?

As per my GSAK, the two

1) http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=cb274a48-1c3b-498b-816a-420dd1553d24 Dingbat's Erosion in Layers

2) http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=cb274a48-1c3b-498b-816a-420dd1553d24 Fish Eagle's Lots of Shale, and a bit of Lava - property sold, lost permission.

Unfortunately I have almost "retired" developing EC's now due to all the hassle involved. In the past I developed at least 1 in every foreign country that I visited. This year alone I visited 4 new countries but did not develop 1Ec due to the constraints. I might add that here were some really opportunities at places like the Dead Sea in Jordan, the Pyrenees in France and the coastal area of Catalunya to name a few. The biggest problem is trying to find the right people for the permissions and the next is the requirement for the EC to be in the local language.

Maybe in the future - just don't have the inclination right now. :rolleyes:

Unfortunately I have almost "retired" developing EC's now due to all the hassle involved. In the past I developed at least 1 in every foreign country that I visited. This year alone I visited 4 new countries but did not develop 1Ec due to the constraints. I might add that here were some really opportunities at places like the Dead Sea in Jordan, the Pyrenees in France and the coastal area of Catalunya to name a few. The biggest problem is trying to find the right people for the permissions and the next is the requirement for the EC to be in the local language.

Sad - I have certainly noticed the new guidelines (I think were meant to make it easier - and some stuff like logging straight into GC.com certainly are) - but the application of the guidelines seems to have made it more difficult?

What are other's experiences?

My view is that EC's are still great - and we should perservere - don't give up - and PLEASE anyone thinking of developing an EC - just ask for help - getting the wording right, and having someone with experience read over your text before (especially the questions/tasks) makes a HUGE difference in getting it registered.

My latest 2 (including the Duban Climate Change one - took only 2 days to get through (both with 2 iterations with the Reviewer). So it still happens after so much time.

Sad - I have certainly noticed the new guidelines (I think were meant to make it easier - and some stuff like logging straight into GC.com certainly are) - but the application of the guidelines seems to have made it more difficult?

What are other's experiences?

My view is that EC's are still great - and we should perservere - don't give up - and PLEASE anyone thinking of developing an EC - just ask for help - getting the wording right, and having someone with experience read over your text before (especially the questions/tasks) makes a HUGE difference in getting it registered.

My latest 2 (including the Duban Climate Change one - took only 2 days to get through (both with 2 iterations with the Reviewer). So it still happens after so much time.

Swaziland is now also on the map with EarthCaches. When I submitted the first one (beginning of October) it was published in two days, but then the next two got stuck in the system for 25 days. After some enquiries to the reviewers on why my EC’s is not reviewed, they disabled the listings and send me some guidance and made corrections on my questions. This was completed and published in two days.

With my latest experience and NOT the new guidelines, I also decided to stop for a while placing new EC’s.

My three were all published after the new guidelines (i think), so it is hard to compare. The tricky thing is trying to establish proof of visit without a photo. Finding questions that could only be answered by visiting, that are relevant to the geological lesson, and are not given away by the write up, is almost impossible. I didn't count days from submission to publish, but my experience is they are as quick or quicker than our tireless reviewers for 'regular' caches. I do have an unfair advantage in my professional background, but 2 of three went through first time with no changes (apparently this is quite rare). The other just had minor edits (make sure you say the picture is 'optional'!).

Why it is time consuming for me is:

1) finding a geological lesson to be learned that is concise enough to write up in a few paragraphs (or quite a few, I'm verbose)

2) finding a spot that shows the evidence of this process clearly, that has parking, permission, access etc..

(sometimes 2 comes before 1, but usually it has been this way for me)

3) actually taking the time to explain the the process simply and clearly, with illustrations (these I've usually made myself specifically for the cache), as well as some research on the location and processes.

4) proofreading above to make sure it makes sense

5) figuring out questions, what is too much to expect? what is too easy? what establishes proof of a visit?

6) putting together the listing so it looks pretty.

7) proofreading again

8) try to answer the questions with only the information in the listing and the info at the spot

9) adjusting the questions/tone

10) proofreading again

11) goto 6 repeat: etc...

Fortunately ms panda is a professional proofreader :D

For me, geology is extremely rewarding as the evidence can be seen everywhere by anyone. This is why ECs are so cool. studying geology was like learning how to read, it opened a whole new layer of meaning in the world around me. The best lessons were always location based, and I try to do some of the same in ECs. Getting it right isn't easy, and I find it much harder than working up a regular hide. The emailed answers are the payoff though. It is always rewarding hearing about how our world begins to open up to other people.

If I remember correctly, they were changed on 1 January 2011

Between 1 January 2011 and 25 November 2011, 32 new ECs have been published in Africa.

During the same period the previous year, 69 new ECs have been published.

Or, to put it differently - during 2010 roughly one in every 25 new caches in Africa has been an Earthcache, and in 2011 it is one in every 75.

I had been assured in private correspondence that the guidelines have not changed significantly (this is actually true - and in many cases they probably became easier).

What really has changed is that previuously there was mainly one single reviewer (Gary or Geoaware) who started Earthcaching and really was actively involved in almost every EC around the world! Quite a job!!!!!! (BTW: He is on Podcacher podcast this week and next week).

Now there are more reviewers and they apply the guidelines more as they should be. So I guess we just need to tighten up our wording before submission and be able to justify anything that may seem out of the ordinary (e.g. how the tasks relate to earth science, etc.).

I didn't count days from submission to publish, but my experience is they are as quick or quicker than our tireless reviewers for 'regular' caches.

Interesting - I have not published a regular cache in SA for over 3 years - but my experience in the Middel East with regular caches was extremely painless with some approvals happening in seconds!

ECs by Prov

Eastern Cape 20

Free State 4

Gauteng 27

Kwazulu Natal 18

Limpopo 15

Mpumalanga 28

North West 5

Northern Cape 8

Western Cape 30

By year placed

2005 3

2007 2

2008 36

2009 50

2010 48

2011 13

2012 3 (already better than 2005 & 2007 :) )

1 Carbon Hunter 28

2 iPajero 25

3 Bouts777 11

4 Sterreman 8

4 RedGlobe 8

5 hennieventer 7

6 GPS Storm 6

7 HeinG 5

7 cincol ( 4 with Carbon Hunter) 5

9 W@lly 3

9 tomtwogates 3

9 Rhino and Hedgehog 3

9 mr panda 3

9 Me & Bucky 3

9 iNokia 3

9 gerhardoosMPsa 3

9 Hesamati 3

10 Urban Campers 2

10 road_runner & susi 2

10 Fish Eagle 2

10 DRDM & Raider 2

10 Cism 2

Come on everyone - 48 to go to get a new annual record in South Africa.

Who-ha! Maybe I can eventually combine biology with earth caching...

Biomineral Single Crystals

These are biomineral crystals found in a sea urchin tooth. Geologic or synthetic mineral crystals usually have flat faces and sharp edges, whereas biomineral crystals can have strikingly uncommon forms that have evolved to enhance function. The image here was captured using environmental scanning electron microscopy and false-colored. Each color highlights a continuous single-crystal of calcite (CaCO3) made by the sea urchin Arbacia punctulata, at the forming end of one of its teeth. Together, these biomineral crystals fill space, harden the tooth, and toughen it enough to grind rock.

biomineral_zps51e2f775.jpg

From Discovery Magazine.

As of 14 Feb 2013

ECs by Prov

Eastern Cape 20

Free State 4

Gauteng 33

Kwazulu Natal 22

Limpopo 15

Mpumalanga 28

North West 5

Northern Cape 9

Western Cape 33

By year placed

2005 3

2007 2

2008 36

2009 50

2010 48

2011 13

2012 14

2013 2

1 Carbon Hunter 28

2 iPajero 25

3 Bouts777 11

4 Sterreman 8

4 RedGlobe 8

5 hennieventer 7

5 HeinG 7

6 GPS Storm 6

8 tomtwogates 4

8 Hesamati 4

9 W@lly 3

9 Rhino and Hedgehog 3

9 mr panda 3

9 Me & Bucky 3

9 iNokia 3

9 gerhardoosMPsa 3

10 Urban Campers 2

10 road_runner & susi 2

10 Fish Eagle 2

10 DRDM & Raider 2

10 Cism 2

10 Team Ginger 2

Great to see many 1 time EC hiders coming through. Come on everyone - we now have an African EC reviewer - make use of him ;)

Who-ha! Maybe I can eventually combine biology with earth caching...

Biomineral Single Crystals

These are biomineral crystals found in a sea urchin tooth. Geologic or synthetic mineral crystals usually have flat faces and sharp edges, whereas biomineral crystals can have strikingly uncommon forms that have evolved to enhance function. The image here was captured using environmental scanning electron microscopy and false-colored. Each color highlights a continuous single-crystal of calcite (CaCO3) made by the sea urchin Arbacia punctulata, at the forming end of one of its teeth. Together, these biomineral crystals fill space, harden the tooth, and toughen it enough to grind rock.

From Discovery Magazine.

Stunning photo - I see it won one of the best science photos for 2012.

Brilliant work to all - we have just passed the 200 Earthcache mark.

Officially that was:

Aeolian Nahoon Formation by erenei | GC4X0K2 | Eastern Cape, South Africa

Great news for South Africa. May there be many more in the future. I am looking forward to when I return to South Africa permanently to spend more time developing new EC's around the country.

Biggest EarthCache gap in Africa:

The circle with a radius of 1499.38km around N09 59.630 E21 08.303 (southeast Chad) contains no EarthCaches. It covers 23% of Africa, including all of the Central African Republic, as well as large parts of Sudan, South Sudan, Ethiopia, Uganda, D.R.C., Congo, Gabon, Equatorial Guinea, Cameroon, Nigeria, Niger, Libya and most of Chad. This is an area almost as large as Australia!

Edited by Danie Viljoen

The circle with a radius of 1499.38km around N09 59.630 E21 08.303 (southeast Chad) contains no EarthCaches. It covers 23% of Africa, including all of the Central African Republic, as well as large parts of Sudan, South Sudan, Ethiopia, Uganda, D.R.C., Congo, Gabon, Equatorial Guinea, Cameroon, Nigeria, Niger, Libya and most of Chad. This is an area almost as large as Australia!

Wow - that is amazing!

I must at least 2 on the edge of that circle (Abuja, Nigeria, and Karuma Falls on the Nile River in Uganda)?

Could we get a graphic for that?

I must at least 2 on the edge of that circle (Abuja, Nigeria, and Karuma Falls on the Nile River in Uganda)?

Yes, two of the three are yours - Karuma Falls and Rocking in Abuja. The third is GC2HA30 - Nile and his cataracts, developed by Bim Bam.

I can't think of a way to generate a map - I don't think one can draw circles and cache positions on TargetMap. I know this is not what you had in mind, but one can at least see the EarthCache-less countries on this map. (The grey areas.) You can pan and zoom the map.

Lots of new Earthcaches - and an amazing Earthcache challenge cache available in the past few months in south Africa - well done all involved.

Can't wait to get out and find some of these now.

There is still about 6 ECs on the Barberton Geotrail I'm still working on. But the time....eish.

Lots of new Earthcaches - and an amazing Earthcache challenge cache available in the past few months in south Africa - well done all involved.

Can't wait to get out and find some of these now.

There is still about 6 ECs on the Barberton Geotrail I'm still working on. But the time....eish.

There are a whole bunch of new ECs up in the Barberton region. Feedback from anyone who has done this trail would be greatly appreciated.

There are now 219 ACTIVE Earthcaches in South Africa (soon o be 221 with 2 new ones submitted today).

Keep up the great work guys.

Would be excellent to see how these have increased over the past 10 years!

Eventually broke the 100 barrier this past holiday (but still have to log...) and still I'm <50% huh.gif Some nice new ECs in the PE area. Thanks!

There are now 219 ACTIVE Earthcaches in South Africa (soon o be 221 with 2 new ones submitted today).

Keep up the great work guys.

Would be excellent to see how these have increased over the past 10 years!

Eventually broke the 100 barrier this past holiday (but still have to log...) and still I'm <50% huh.gif Some nice new ECs in the PE area. Thanks!

100 .... one day when I'm big ;) - I'm still not there - my goal for this year!

As of 14 Feb 2013

ECs by Prov

Eastern Cape 20

Free State 4

Gauteng 33

Kwazulu Natal 22

Limpopo 15

Mpumalanga 28

North West 5

Northern Cape 9

Western Cape 33

By year placed

2005 3

2007 2

2008 36

2009 50

2010 48

2011 13

2012 14

2013 2

1 Carbon Hunter 28

2 iPajero 25

3 Bouts777 11

4 Sterreman 8

4 RedGlobe 8

5 hennieventer 7

5 HeinG 7

6 GPS Storm 6

8 tomtwogates 4

8 Hesamati 4

9 W@lly 3

9 Rhino and Hedgehog 3

9 mr panda 3

9 Me & Bucky 3

9 iNokia 3

9 gerhardoosMPsa 3

10 Urban Campers 2

10 road_runner & susi 2

10 Fish Eagle 2

10 DRDM & Raider 2

10 Cism 2

10 Team Ginger 2

Great to see many 1 time EC hiders coming through. Come on everyone - we now have an African EC reviewer - make use of him ;)

As of 11 Dec 2014

ECs by Prov

Eastern Cape 44

Free State 4

Gauteng 41

Kwazulu Natal 42

Limpopo 17

Mpumalanga 39

North West 6

Northern Cape 19

Western Cape 42

By year placed

2005 3

2007 2

2008 36

2009 50

2010 48

2011 13

2012 14

2013 28

2014 59 (with a month to go) -already best year yet

Top 10 EC COs (anyone with more than 1 hide) - South Africa ONLY

1 iPajero 43

2 Carbon Hunter 32

3 Bouts777 19

4 HeinG 13

5 Sterreman 8

5 RedGlobe 8

5 Hesamati 8

6 hennieventer 7

7 GPS Storm 6

7 TechnoNut 6

8 cincol ( 4 with Carbon Hunter) 5

8 ChrisDen 5

And we have a new King of the SA Earthcache hiders - well done Team iPajero.