Earthcaches

cincol

HaHaa…I am watching you…

If only you could have managed the other two EC’s in Polokwane!!!!!….I tried to inform you of the new listings to help with your “finds” on the EC’s.

I spotted them - but I was up for a whistlestop one day drive. I went back the following week - but by light aircraft - so flying over obne of them does not count unfortunately :unsure:

I saw this log on the oldest EC in SA and thought it to be a bit funny.

"Search a bit for it while the security guard was watching. He taged along because of all the snakes in the area. Told him about the game and just hope he don't tell everyone he sees.

Cache was soaking wet and started to rot. Couldn't even remove the blob of wet paper inside the bottle.

Please see to this.

Would make up my story and calculations a bit later.

Drived allmost up to the cache, walked about 100m.

Think its going to be a nice place when its finished

TFTC"

I saw this log on the oldest EC in SA and thought it to be a bit funny.

"Search a bit for it while the security guard was watching. He taged along because of all the snakes in the area. Told him about the game and just hope he don't tell everyone he sees.

Cache was soaking wet and started to rot. Couldn't even remove the blob of wet paper inside the bottle.

Please see to this.

Would make up my story and calculations a bit later.

Drived allmost up to the cache, walked about 100m.

Think its going to be a nice place when its finished

TFTC"

Makes you wonder if he was actually there! I have had a few funny comments on some of my EC's that have been logged as DNF's or notes posted that they need maintenance! Don't these people READ the descriptions before they start looking? :anitongue::laughing:

I woder if hennieventer didn't make a mistake like I did with my Nigerian EC. I left the Longitudinal co-ords with a WEST - putting the cache a few 1000 km westwards in Cote d'Ivoire rather than Abuja.

Fortunately the first finder pointed it out to me.

He may have transposed some of the numbers leading to a waypoint a few km out?

Congratulation goes to iPajero on just reaching their platinum earth cache master status.

My records show the following stats for earth caches placed in SA. Hope I have not left anyone out.

No. State/Countries Finds Hides

Redglobe - Platinum 6 40 7

Bouts777 - Platinum 5 28 6

iPajero - Platinum 8 36 3

Carbon Hunter - Gold 8 12 33

Cincol - Gold 7 12 14

Gerhardoos - Gold 6 21 2

Congrats to everyone on the achievements thus far.

Hi there

Any chace of getting an update on this table ?Wouyold be good to see who's moved up to god now.

I'm sure there are a few in the Cape?

Look at this earth cache.

Quite something different from the normal ones created, and it has over 1500 finds. WOW!

Hey hey - hoping to be able to get this one in 2 weeks time .I may be in Koln for 3 days.

Also - along a similar line - I just published an EC in a MAJOR urban environment - check out http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...0d-7694625de9e3 - Build Your House on the Rock (GC282V6)

Congratulation goes to iPajero on just reaching their platinum earth cache master status.

My records show the following stats for earth caches placed in SA. Hope I have not left anyone out.

No. State/Countries Finds Hides

Redglobe - Platinum 6 40 7

Bouts777 - Platinum 5 28 6

iPajero - Platinum 8 36 3

Carbon Hunter - Gold 8 12 33

Cincol - Gold 7 12 14

Gerhardoos - Gold 6 21 2

Congrats to everyone on the achievements thus far.

Hi there

Any chace of getting an update on this table ?Wouyold be good to see who's moved up to god now.

I'm sure there are a few in the Cape?

Update as requested

State/Country Finds Placed

Bouts777 - Platinum 5 37 9

Carbon Hunter - Platinum 8 20 42

Cincol - Platinum 8 20 16

Fish Eagle - Platinum 6 27 3

GerhardoosMPsa - Platinum 7 33 3

Hennieventer - Platinum 7 33 6

iPajero - Platinum 8 43 6

Redglobe - Platinum 7 52 8

HeinG - Gold 7 12 5

Tomtwogates - Gold 5 15 2

Yes,

For those interesting in the data about earth caches. Please if I made a mistake and I left out someone please e-mail me so I can correct this. If someone was left out then it is innocent.

Total number of earth caches is 38 which consist of the following owners.

BjBez 1,

Cache-fan 1

Carbon Hunter 24

Cincol 1

Cslyoda 1

FishEagle 1

RedGlobe 1

INokia 1

LittleClan 1

Rhino and Hedgehog 3

Spuzva 1

Tomtwogates 1

Warthog 1

Distribution in South Africa

Free State 1

Gauteng 18

Kwazulu Natal 5

Limpopo 1

Mpmulanga 1

North West 3

Northen Cape 1

Western cape 8

Remove carbon hunter from this equation.

Free State 1

Gauteng 3

Kwazulu Natal 3

Limpopo 1

North West 2

Northen Cape 1

Western cape 3

The final result above shows a tough picture when you want some of the geological pins. Carbon Hunter you played a pivotal role in these caches. I think we forgot how much you have done. Thanks for the work that you have done and to all the other cachers. I know this do take some time and they can keep some of us busy. Even to get it listed is not easy.

In the beginning I did not like this type of caches. I had to sit down with myself to understand the reasons why I did not like them. I then realized that this is outside my comfort zone because of a lack of some knowledge. At the end of the day we all learn – the day you stop learning something new is the day you die. I had to force myself to learn a new topic. Yes, sometimes I was late with my logs but I still do them. It is now fun to discover something new and to say “I did not know this … but I understand something different now….”

“Why are you waiting for ,,, go find some. :blink:

Gerhard

What's the breakdown now? I think - at least every Province now has an Earthcache - E Cape still a little shy. Lets see these stats and this will probably show why the WC and KZN guys are lagging.

Definitely seems to be a NW/GP and MP centre of gravity now - although hennieventer shot the stats up in the north.

What's the breakdown now? I think - at least every Province now has an Earthcache - E Cape still a little shy. Lets see these stats and this will probably show why the WC and KZN guys are lagging.

Definitely seems to be a NW/GP and MP centre of gravity now - although hennieventer shot the stats up in the north.

I will be in the Eastern Cape in July. I will see what I can do about an EC in the Grahamstown / PE area. :blink::blink:

I have visited EarthCaches all over the world - and in South Africa - and really think that I need to say what I am going to say. The passed few days I have visited a few of iPajero's EC's in the Eastern Cape and feel that these EC's need special mention.

The EC's have enough detail in the descriptions and are written in such a way that they are understandable and interesting for anybody who reads them. The questions are structured in such a way that they are easy to answer and are educational at the same time. Additionally he has made sure that NOBODY can claim the EC through armchair caching either. A huge WELL DONE to the iPajero Team.

If anybody is unsure how to develop an EarthCache all they need to do is read through a few of iPajero's and then, if possible, visit 1 or 2. Follow his superb example and you will be well on the way to getting your 1st EC published.

I hope to be able to visit many more of the Eastern Cape EC's in the future and look forward to my next visit this way.

The new EarthCache Discovery Award program has been announced.

Take a look here.

I don't even make the lowest level (50 EC finds) yet.

Wow - I have been travelling and have not seen this yet. So the challenge is out - we need a LOT more ECs in SA. I am game - I also don't qualify yet! But getting there - please hide more ECs so I can find them too.

[...]please hide more ECs so I can find them too.

Man, I really need to dust off my EarthCache folder. I have three of the things in different stages of development. In fact, I actually intended to finish and publish my Pretoria one last week, only to discover that I have somehow misplaced the waypoints I took... :(

I am sure I can make an EC here in the Kalahari. What suggestion/tips would you have for a nice EC?

Check out a few caches in deserts - look at Moreeb Dune (Saudi Arabia; Morocco; Qatar all have desert type feature in their ECs) - also look at caches in American desert states too.

Dune shape, aeolian wind distribution, fossilised dunes, volcanic intrusions; etc. etc. - I will be happy to help

Well just looking I see Redglobe makes the Quartz - the first African cacher to get a new award????

Thanks for providing the info. I have just applied for the Quartz level. The process took 1 sec and received a mail back “congratulations” with the logo.

It will take some time now for the next level..... LOL

Well just looking I see Redglobe makes the Quartz - the first African cacher to get a new award????

Thanks for providing the info. I have just applied for the Quartz level. The process took 1 sec and received a mail back “congratulations” with the logo.

It will take some time now for the next level..... LOL

In my case - it will take some time to reach the first level :)

Was really chuffed to grab 2 ECs this past week (in another country) - and now I only need 17 more.

whoo-hoo! I just got my third EC published (http://coord.info/GC2M0FB).

This means I'm now officially an EC Platinum Master :D

Although all 3 of mine are based in WC, my other 19 'countries/states' are in the US where I went on a road trip about a year ago. So perhaps I don't count as an "African" EC Master yet... But I'm one and I'm here!

Thought I'd share my excitement - and point out there is a FTF waiting to happen...