Earthcaches

cincol

I know Damhuisclan is close to silver

Yep, we are close to silver. We are taking the 150 km drive to Parys, Vredefort to go do the cache there this coming weekend, just so that we can get the silver pin before the 1st of August.

Also busy with creating our second earth cache, and we will be visiting Machadadorp area in September so hope to do another EC there, and then get to Gold.

Congrats Redglobe!

- Bouts & Cachefan must be up there at least at gold.

I only need 8 to log (2 in another prov except MP, GP and NW) to get the platinum. The gold I hope for at the end of next month. And with all the new ECs in the KNP from cincol and a few others in the line from GPS Storm, I may have platinum before the end of the year.

I only need 8 to log (2 in another prov except MP, GP and NW) to get the platinum. The gold I hope for at the end of next month. And with all the new ECs in the KNP from cincol and a few others in the line from GPS Storm, I may have platinum before the end of the year.

Bouts - there are 2 near you in Limpopo - 1 at Olifants Camp - that I missed completely during my recent visit and Engelhard Dam near Letaba.

As for EC Status - I have received my Silver already and need 1 more in a different country for Gold, which I will only get next month whilst in Australia. Although I have developed 12 I am still a way off my Platinum, but certainly working towards it.

Thanks for all the congratulations we have received. We are just waiting for our latest EC to be published (after the corrections on the listing) and then its time to find the KZN EC’s to double our status.

PS. Bouts – if you do the two Limpopo Earthcahes and my EC in KZN it will provide you with the 5 provinces needed without going to far away.

who are the others?

I only have Silver

I know Damhuisclan is close to silver - Bouts & Cachefan must be up there at least at gold.

Please let us know.

I know Fish Eagle have Silver status and also working for his Gold status.

Edited by RedGlobe

I am/was aiming for Silver but now the problem is that I need to do one in either FS or MP that is close to home. Problem is nothing nearby. And I cannot go this weekend as I am on standby.... So I guess my chances have gone for a loop.... :)

Also awaiting my first EC to be approved. So even then that could hold back the possibility... sigh! :unsure:

Doesn't someone want to put an EC in Memel for me quick.... ;):P

Edited by Wazat

Wazat, I think you missed the earth cache closest to you. You have done caches above 2900 meters. You need to visit a cave nearby which is still in the Berg. Take a photo at the cave and send your GPS track and you can then log the one in the Drakekensberg.

Well done Besem and for the others mentioned for their pins. :)

Gerhard

Wazat, I think you missed the earth cache closest to you. You have done caches above 2900 meters. You need to visit a cave nearby which is still in the Berg. Take a photo at the cave and send your GPS track and you can then log the one in the Drakekensberg.

Well done Besem and for the others mentioned for their pins. :)

Gerhard

Nope done the Drakensberg one. I actually have laid claim to it as I did a hike with tracklog in Sep 2007 and then again in July of 2008. I have not found a cave with bushman paintings but I have found a large boulder with bushman paintings on.... This same rock I had found as a kid too. Just for fun I placed my find on the Earthcache before it was even published. Theoretically I have a FTF on it but opted to rather find a cave even though Rhino accepted the art on the rock. This was discussed when we all went up Sterkhorn together.

I have done the one in Durnacol on the coal mines... So far I have 5 Earth Caches done just need one more. My EC is been reviewed as I type here. Forgot to put my full name so they asked for that.... Just hope that they accept it.

Already have my Bronze Pin....

I applied for my silver pin last night, after completing the Vredefort EC.

It turned out to be our 399th cache, and not our 400th cache as planned, due to some geolitter, left behind by the event held in Parys a few years ago.

But maybe I/we should have been a little more diligent as well, before signing the geolitter logs.

Well done Besem and for the others mentioned for their pins. :D

Gerhard

... So far I have 5 Earth Caches done just need one more. My EC is been reviewed as I type here. Forgot to put my full name so they asked for that.... Just hope that they accept it.

Already have my Bronze Pin....

Wazat we hope your EC gets published in time, but you need a EC find in another province (not in Gauteng or KZN) before this Saturday the 1st August, for your Silver Status. Maybe you need a trip up to Mpumalanga and do one of those EC’s this week.

Please help me with this tiny issue. I am busy with an earth cache. I found an article and I contacted the writer. He informed me that he paid for this article and he have no problem with me publishing the information. In matter of fact he suggested that I do 3 earth caches at the same location but I think this is boring. So I do one with a aspect of all three.

Now I am worried. On the one side I believe that if something is published on the Net that the information can be used as it is in public domain. As long as a reference was given to that person. It is his intellectual right and research after all. Also no cutting and pasting of the words but in my own words. On the other side I have this vague little voice saying that this writer paid for this information and that I should get the permission from the original person.

What is the correct procedure to follow to ensure that I am following the rules?

Gerhard

I speak under correction and perhaps some of the IT gurus [geeks] could verify the information. If something is on the web it is public domain UNLESS there is specific mention to the fact that the information is copyright and may not be reproduced by any means. Generally if something has been published by a specific person - as is the case with your EarthCache - then an acknowledgement to the person would suffice, but I could be wrong. :D

Thanks Bouts. I sneaked around very quietly but somewhere someone was watching. :wub:

I should complete the finds requirement this week end. With the placement of the last required one we still have some hurdles to cross. The municipality can not confirm the ownership of the property. They think it belongs to them. So I must wait until they have discovered that they are the owners. I told them if there is any problem then I will gladly accept ownership to smooth things. This was not funny to them at all. They have no problem with the placement of an earth cache. But they first want to confirm ownership before permission is granted.

Thanks again for some good and well researched EC’s in MP. I hope GpsStorm, CarbonHunter and you can do some more of them. The only challenge that remains is to find more active cachers in MP.

Gerhard

Quite interesting. Mpumalanga has 13 EarthCaches.

5 by GPS Storm

3 by cincol

1 each by Bouts777, Me & Bucky, Red Globe, Carbon Hunter, and gerhardoosMPsa

Of the 7 EC Developers only 2 are Mpumalanga residents! :D Another interesting fact is 3 of the 7 live overseas! :) Come on MP cachers - there is a treasure trove of potential EC's right on your doorstep and waiting to be developed. Sudwala Caves, God's Window area, Badplaas, Sabie/Graskop/Pilgrim's Rest area, the list is neaver ending. Good luck and I hope to see many new EC's in the MP region next time I visit there. :laughing:

Yep, only Bouts and GpsStorm is left to keep the EC’s rolling. They are quiet so they must be busy with something up their sleeves. There is another one that I need to do near Nelspruit but I need to talk to both of them before we all three do the same one. :D

I see there is some new EC’s that is screaming for a visit. By the way Cincol I found 4 of your other caches which I still need to be logged. Which ones – I won’t tell so keep an eye on your e-mails. Gerhard

I speak under correction and perhaps some of the IT gurus [geeks] could verify the information. If something is on the web it is public domain UNLESS there is specific mention to the fact that the information is copyright and may not be reproduced by any means. Generally if something has been published by a specific person - as is the case with your EarthCache - then an acknowledgement to the person would suffice, but I could be wrong. :D

I believe you are very wrong here - I am no expert but I do a lot of reading on the net and have seen lots of stuff about copyright. Just because you publish something on the net it does not automatically mean you are putting it in the public domain. Copyright remains with the author of the work until such time as they assign it to someone else. But it most certainly does not automatically become public domain.

Trev

I believe you are very wrong here - I am no expert but I do a lot of reading on the net and have seen lots of stuff about copyright. Just because you publish something on the net it does not automatically mean you are putting it in the public domain. Copyright remains with the author of the work until such time as they assign it to someone else. But it most certainly does not automatically become public domain.

Trev

Would it not be similar to a book in a library. You can use small sections of it for research etc.

As long as you give the credit and do not claim it to be your own work?

Or am i missing something here. My understanding is that the copyright - or ownership of the material will remain with the author unless transferred. But anyone can read and quote or acknowldge the work in their own work.

Would this be correct.

For example I often use extracts from S A Geology books for my EarthCaches - but place and Acknowldgement or "extracted from" tag at the bottom and do not in any way attempt to pass it off as my own work. I am in breach here?

This is confusing and I am worried. I do a lot of assignments for Unisa. If you do any statement such as “This is based on this and therefore this is then this”, then you are in trouble. Any statements must be based on facts and you must quote from your resources. The intellectual right still belongs to someone. But I do not request permission from the writer of the text book. Ok, I also do not copy and paste but I use my own words.

If I find information on the Internet and there is no specific terms that prohibits me from using or copying the information then that should be free for use. This is where it gets complex.

This person (let us call this person X for argument sake) bought the original article from another person (for argument sake this is person Y) for a specific amount of money. But person Y is not the person that has the intellectual rights as this was discovered by a geologist. Person X now published this article on the NET with no prohibition for copying or using the information. To me this is now public domain and the idea is to share this information.

Now it gets involved. Because I do not know what to do I then contact person Y asking for his permission to publish this information. He does not respond and I am now in the dark with no moon.

I like to play with rules but here I think we have a problem with the rules and I would like to have some more clarity. I just discovered something. Attorneys are not cachers.

Gerhard

They would probably say that their client is not the owner of the cache, know nothing about the automatic email sent to owners when a cache is logged and have never visited that province before. They would surely get a dozen or so "witnesses" to confirm it and after that they would most likely charge you for the consultation as well. :rolleyes: He he.

Edited by Bouts777

Just a note.

It seems like Earthcache.org and the reviewers have become a lot stricter in the application of the term EARTH SCIENCE.

whereas in the past earth caches of a geographic nature have been approved. It now seems that only GEOLOGY related earth caches are being approved.

Please keep this in mind when researching and placing new earthcaches in and around SA.

As part of the wind back of the handing out of physical pins, we are sad to announce that from 15 September 2009 we will no longer be sending out Gold pins to EarthCache Masters recipients. Platinum pins will continue to be sent out indefinitely.

EarthCache Masters coins - one for each level - will be on sale in the EarthCache.org store by the end of September.

Again we thank you all for supporting EC Masters and EarthCaching.

Regards

Geoaware

Sad news - so now there is pressure on us guys who are close to Gold Status.

we are sad to announce that from 15 September 2009 we will no longer be sending out Gold pins to EarthCache Masters recipients. Platinum pins will continue to be sent out indefinitely.

EarthCache Masters coins - one for each level - will be on sale in the EarthCache.org store by the end of September.

AHHHHHhhhhhhh!!!!

I wont be able to make that cut off.

Now all I can hope for is that the pins will come on sale some time.

BTW: The earth cache web site still has not acknowledged receiving my request for the silver pin (before the August cut off date).

we are sad to announce that from 15 September 2009 we will no longer be sending out Gold pins to EarthCache Masters recipients. Platinum pins will continue to be sent out indefinitely.

AHHHHHhhhhhhh!!!!

I wont be able to make that cut off.

Now all I can hope for is that the pins will come on sale some time.

BTW: The earth cache web site still has not acknowledged receiving my request for the silver pin (before the August cut off date).

Check out the EarthCache forum and the EarthCache Masters thread. They have indicated that pins will still be for sale.

Also a new EarthCache Masters geocoins series (bronze thru to Platinum) will soo be available.

Regarding the acknowledgement - drop them a mail (send Geoaware a message).

Congrats.

I'm still waiting for my gold pin which I submitted about a week before the cut off date. I'm still holding thumbs that it will arrive in the post in the next few days/weeks.

Are there any other platinum EC cachers in SA except Redglobe? I know that both iPajero and gerhardoosMPsa each need only 1 to publish for achieving that.

I missed this one but rather late than never. Well done hennieventer from Limpopo with the platinum status on the earth caches. .............

hennieventer was on holiday in Qatar recently and actually did all my Qatar EC's but one [6 done] - the first and only Platinum status cacher to do any of my EC's here. Great to see that he enjoyed them as well. Thanks.

Congrats.

I'm still waiting for my gold pin which I submitted about a week before the cut off date. I'm still holding thumbs that it will arrive in the post in the next few days/weeks.

Are there any other platinum EC cachers in SA except Redglobe? I know that both iPajero and gerhardoosMPsa each need only 1 to publish for achieving that.

I also submitted for gold in time.

Am now waiting.

I got an email with the new Gold logo. But we wait for the pin to arrive.

I also ordered a set of the new Earthcache geocoins.

So some sould be in circulation in SA soon.

I will release some there.

BTW: hennieventer - did you hide a few Earthcaches yet? This is a requirement for Platu=inum status?

I withdraw my statement. I had a look at hennieventers summary page and I noticed the platinum status symbol. This morning I done a querry on his stashed caches and found no earth caches. Somebody that knows him personally will have to inform him that at platinum level he must have a minimum of 3 earth caches hides. He does visit remote and strange areas so he should be able to do this quickly. Sorry I looked at his personal page and again assumptions are the mother of all …….. I should have verified the data. What is yellow and is running from my face? :drama: Gerhard

I submitted my my request about 3 or 4 days before the cut off. So I think the others will receive theirs if my situation is anything to go by.

I am planning my next earth cache, but am unable to find suitable research material at this point.

Am quite happy to pay for the rest of the pins once I get them. Hope to get there by the end of next year.

Will need to look into the white pin. First I hear of it.

Foot note:

I always find it very interesting to read Gerhard's posts and logs. Very funny at times.

I withdraw my statement. I had a look at hennieventers summary page and I noticed the platinum status symbol. This morning I done a querry on his stashed caches and found no earth caches. Somebody that knows him personally will have to inform him that at platinum level he must have a minimum of 3 earth caches hides. He does visit remote and strange areas so he should be able to do this quickly. Sorry I looked at his personal page and again assumptions are the mother of all …….. I should have verified the data. What is yellow and is running from my face? :lol: Gerhard

Gerhard - you are quite right. I looked at his gc.com profile as well. He has 27 EC finds but ZERO hides. Does not even have archived EC's. So, I wonder how he managed to get the Platinum logo on his profile? Just asking.

I missed this one but rather late than never. Well done hennieventer from Limpopo with the platinum status on the earth caches. .............

hennieventer was on holiday in Qatar recently and actually did all my Qatar EC's but one [6 done] - the first and only Platinum status cacher to do any of my EC's here. Great to see that he enjoyed them as well. Thanks.

Apologies everbody, but these comments of mine need to be retracted vis-a-vis hennieventer's Platinum Status. It apears as though this is not entirely true when one looks at his Profile pages on gc.com

Cincol we stay good friends - even in serious deep water or with some yellow stuff on the face. I believe Hennie is a good person and cacher and I think he made an honest mistake and I think he missed the point. I do not believe that he tried to mislead us deliberately. We now have to help him. Hier het oom Hennie my sleg raak gery, reg in die middel van die teerpad. :)

Rather he missed the bus and the station dropped on top of him. Unfortunately this time I was with him and inside the rubble. :anibad: Somehow someone must contact Hennie and they must explain to him the rules and he must remove the symbol from his web page. I never met him personally and therefore I would rather leave this for someone that met him at an event or somewhere at a cache. Where is FE? I know he is watching – he is always watching. Maybe he met Hennie before. RedGlobe you are the old man among the earth cacher with your platinum status – talk to him. :lol: Gerhard

Edited by gerhardoosMPsa
RedGlobe you are the old man among the earth cacher with your platinum status

So, is Redglobe still the only platinum ECer among us?

Komaan Gerhard, Norman, Grant, Peter, Andy, Anton, Hennie, Hein, etc. Who's going to take 2nd & 3rd?

Edited by Bouts777

I wish - my BIG probelm is that there are NO EC's available without an international flight.

Perhaps I need to go visit Peter in Qatar for a weekend.

I just made Gold - and that was a scrape.

I'm beetign on a good few other cachers getting Platinum before me in SA.

In actual fact I reckon there are ALREADY other Platinum cachers there? Gerhard - aren't you there yet?