Earthcaches

cincol

I have applied for my bronze and silver pins and am eagerly waiting to receive them.

Yes we are currently working on two more earth caches and are in the draft stadium and currently speaking to the land manager for permissions. Hope it will be up and running before December. Hopefully we can sneak in a third one…..

Yes,

For those interesting in the data about earth caches. Please if I made a mistake and I left out someone please e-mail me so I can correct this. If someone was left out then it is innocent.

Total number of earth caches is 38 which consist of the following owners.

BjBez 1,

Cache-fan 1

Carbon Hunter 24

Cincol 1

Cslyoda 1

FishEagle 1

RedGlobe 1

INokia 1

LittleClan 1

Rhino and Hedgehog 3

Spuzva 1

Tomtwogates 1

Warthog 1

Distribution in South Africa

Free State 1

Gauteng 18

Kwazulu Natal 5

Limpopo 1

Mpmulanga 1

North West 3

Northen Cape 1

Western cape 8

Remove carbon hunter from this equation.

Free State 1

Gauteng 3

Kwazulu Natal 3

Limpopo 1

North West 2

Northen Cape 1

Western cape 3

The final result above shows a tough picture when you want some of the geological pins. Carbon Hunter you played a pivotal role in these caches. I think we forgot how much you have done. Thanks for the work that you have done and to all the other cachers. I know this do take some time and they can keep some of us busy. Even to get it listed is not easy.

In the beginning I did not like this type of caches. I had to sit down with myself to understand the reasons why I did not like them. I then realized that this is outside my comfort zone because of a lack of some knowledge. At the end of the day we all learn – the day you stop learning something new is the day you die. I had to force myself to learn a new topic. Yes, sometimes I was late with my logs but I still do them. It is now fun to discover something new and to say “I did not know this … but I understand something different now….”

“Why are you waiting for ,,, go find some. ;)

Gerhard

Edited by gerhardoosMPsa

Eish, there I get a hiding again. Let me download the caches first and check if there is not someone else left out. I noticed that – I was busy with the numbers and when I downloaded the data I was reading that RedGlobe is going for the silver and I just know that there is a fault.

Sorry friend, hit the other cheek this one hurts. ;)

Gerhard

Ok, that was a small mistake. The name geoaware appeared in the data on the database. This was later adopted by RedGlobe which is the owner of the Babsfontein Sinkhole. I just downloaded it before that stage and never renewed it again.

Are you friendly again Mr. RedGlobe? It is good to see that cachers want to fight for their earthcaches. ;)

Gerhard

This is the only type of cache that our reviewer “Fish Eagle” does not approve and is run by the earthcache.org where geoaware run it thru a system for checks. He then list it on Groundspeak and send you the mail for the adoption of your cache if successful application with permissions.

Yes, I am aware of the details. But I download caches so quickly to my database that I never noticed the change and I do not read all the new caches. On the other hand we are secretly busy compiling earth caches and we did go into the details.

I have tried to publish about 5 earth caches in an area which offers a lot. But this area has now become commercialized and it is not worth doing it. It will never fly. If you have a 4x4 it will cost you about R350. If you do not have access to a 4x4 it will cost you R500. I can not expect a cacher to pay through his nose. On the other hand this is the amount I will have to pay for ordinary caches to maintain them. Not nice. There is thus no option left for an earth cache or an ordinary one. The door slamming in my face is not a nice feeling about the same when RedGlobe wants to fight me for his earth cache. ;)

But we have shifted to another location for the earth cache. The area is in open to public but I need to quote from the writer. We are busy with the negotiations with the Professor to use his work as reference material. I am now waiting for his permission. On the other hand I had a discussion with the legal experts at our company.

The lawyers are of the following opinion.

1. He published his finding on the Net for all to see and it can be used by all.

2. I am not allowed to do any copy or pasting from his report. That will violate his intellectual rights. If I do a sketch it must be my own but based on his sketch with reference to where the info came from.

3. If I do quote from his report then it must be stated as such and reference must be made to his report.

4. I do not need his explicit permission as he did publish it for all to see, he already has given is permission or else he should have added “Copyright protected or no copies allowed or something in the lines that no one can use the information”.

I still would like to have his permission as this is the only report available on the NET on this subject. If we can proceed with this then it will be good. At the moment it is the waiting that does kill it.

Yes, I also would like to have the silver pin. I have one earth cache to go and one hide to do.

Somehow I do not think that cachers are aware of these pins. Carbon Hunter will not have a problem with the platinum. It is a matter of finding a couple more which is available.

Gerhard

Edited by gerhardoosMPsa

Sorry Gerhard it was a friendly question to add me on your list…..no punt intended. :D

Yes the work on a earth cache is ten times more than on a normal cache, but the reward on the end seeing your cache being listed and the comments of the seekers when you tried to teach them something about our planet called “Earth” is fantastic.

Is there no way you can use your own words that is explaining the same thing the professor did? (Just say it in a different way)

Again sorry if I was too strong in my comments… ;)

I love a person that is passionate about what he is doing. Luckily we know each other and we can make a joke without crying.

But at the end of the day maybe it will help someone to place an earth cache. Before I started with this type of cache I also had no idea of the rules and how to go about it. But luckily it is spelled out on the page.

Forget about this now. I am still wondering about the dust storm from your side, could it be another tonteldoos? ;) If you are not sure what it means check tonteldoos forum. Luckily no one else will understand this statement.

gerhard

Carbon Hunter can now visit SA again and find 14 earth caches in 7 provinces and qualify for his Gold Earthcache Master pin. If he adds his other countries to the list he can then go for his Platinum Earthcache masters pin WOW…. :D:D

i can't wait.

And watch this space - the UAE should be getting their first Earthcaches soon too. ;)

Carbon Hunter can now visit SA again and find 14 earth caches in 7 provinces and qualify for his Gold Earthcache Master pin. If he adds his other countries to the list he can then go for his Platinum Earthcache masters pin WOW…. :D:D

i can't wait.

And watch this space - the UAE should be getting their first Earthcaches soon too. ;)

I was a little bit bored tonight – so I downloaded the caches from the earth cache website and I imported this to a database. While playing around with the figures and locations I found the following interesting person.

TerryDad2 – 193 earth caches.

You guess correctly. TerryDad2 is a geologist/database admin. Caches were planted in 6 states and in two countries. He is a platinum earth cache master. He has a total of 206 caches to his name. Guess what he likes to do best?

All I can say is “WOW”. This man loves what he does best. :)

Carbon Hunter you have a challenge!!!!

Gerhard

I was a little bit bored tonight – so I downloaded the caches from the earth cache website and I imported this to a database. While playing around with the figures and locations I found the following interesting person.

TerryDad2 – 193 earth caches.

You guess correctly. TerryDad2 is a geologist/database admin. Caches were planted in 6 states and in two countries. He is a platinum earth cache master. He has a total of 206 caches to his name. Guess what he likes to do best?

All I can say is “WOW”. This man loves what he does best. :D

Carbon Hunter you have a challenge!!!!

Gerhard

WOW!!!!

I received my Bronze and Silver pins today. WOW it sounds professional ;) “a Silver level EarthCache Master” :D .

Thanks to all the other Cachers that made it possible for us, especially Carbon Hunter. :o

Now the work to get to the GOLD Masters level…. :D

Brilliant - well done and thanks to you too for placing a cache.

BTW: Did you see the cool link I posted on the Bapsfontein Sinkhole?

Hi Everyone involved in EarthCaching

I think it would be great to have a place on the Forum where everyone could "brag" about their achievements such as receiving their E/C pins, etc.

Congratulations to all those who have received theirs recently - WELL DONE and may you go on to the next level as soon as possible. :o

Speaking of bragging :laughing: ..... I and a colleague managed to join 60 geocachers and about another 60 muggles/friends-of-cachers/etc., under pouring rain, on a Sunday morning at 9H00 for an event cache associated with international EarthCache day.

Here are some pics:

1da55df9-ae14-4bd4-9036-4fd27d1607e3.jpg

9f8b71fa-38a0-4a9f-b728-6b755879f256.jpg

c26c8de8-d00f-4a9d-ac4d-f9db8c45c889.jpg

bac2f420-2ca7-43d3-bbae-b3fbcedcc5f6.jpg

07072993-551e-4075-88c3-e145fd27efc9.jpg

552896d4-39f8-4c9f-a376-3e30977cf066.jpg

And now some of the geology:

Kimmeridgian limestones north of the Abano Beach

24b2f820-5143-4cd7-bbd3-8f80a814a1a5.jpg

Felsic dykes - X marks the spot

4301d4e8-eab9-402b-b82c-71305a163b6f.jpg

I think this all proves how successful EarthCaches were brought back into the realm of GC.com and how popular they have become.

If you are ever in Portugal, come to this part of the world and try some of these:

Wind Ripples - DP/EC 18

Stones in my stomach - DP/EC20

These are corals? - DP/EC23

Orbitolina!…….Orbitowhat? - DP/EC27

Complex Geometry - DP/EC28

NOT IGNEOUS - DP/EC29

Ventifacts - DP/EC30

"X" - DP/EC31

Cabo da Roca - DP/EC33

fa84615a-f411-4183-b04d-17ed1c957335.jpg

Edited by danieloliveira

Something that was copied from the web.

The oldest coal fire on earth is actually in Australia and has been burning for over 2,000 years!!!!! How I did not know this is a huge surprise to me.

China has the worst problem in the world, it seems large enough that is would be worth finding a solution but common sense dictates they don't leave them burning because they can put them out!!!!!!

Today, the main coal fire areas stretch along the coal mining belt in China, which extends for 5000 kilometers (km) from east to west along the north of the country. Here more than 50 coal fields affected by coal fires have been identified. At present in China an estimated 20-30 million tons of coal burn each year. This corresponds to the amount of Germany’s annual hard coal production. Actually, the tenfold amount of the resource is lost, since coal adjacent to a coal fire becomes inaccessible. The economic loss of the valuable resource in China is estimated to sum up to total 4.2 billion tons since 1960. Thus, China faces the world’s biggest problem of coal fires both in terms of the spatial area affected and the amount of coal lost each year.

Gerhard

Congrats to Ding bat, for getting his first Earth Cache published. Youngest Earth Cache publisher in SA?

Now we both just need do another earthcache in another province then we can apply for our Silver Earth Cache pins.

Thanks given to Carbon Hunter for some assistance with the wording.

Edited by DamhuisClan

I done an earth cache in Nov 2008 and no one is visiting. This one is quite easy. There is no requirement for a photo for this cache. So if you want to do couch caches then go ahead. You should get the answers quickly. The first guy that e-mails me will get the FTF.

It appears as if earth caches are not a great favourite here in Mpumalanga. Ok, the truth is that very little active cachers remained in MP. I am keeping an eye on the earth caches done by GpsStorm to see the hits. They are both well done and it does give you a lot of information and I hope that cachers will do an effort to visit them. Well done Chris. Gerhard

Gerhard - or some other cachers close to Witbank.

Here is an opportunity for a very interesting Earthcache:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...99-fa7301365d7f

"The Burning City"

That coal fire thing is hugely interesting and fascinating. I recall reading about it in Wikipedia. It boggles the mind that fires can carry on so long, but then again if you think about volcanic activity, then a coal fire of a few hundred or thousand years old is not that unusual.

I well remember a tree burning here on the farm and then a few weeks after we thought the fire was out, the wind starts up and the fire flares up. The fire was apparently still smouldering way down in the roots.

Are there any coal fires in South Africa?

Just a quick heads up for anyone planning to get their BRONZE or SILVER earthcache masters. Earthcache.org is only planning on send ign physical pins (and they are really quiet good) until 1 August 2009. thereafter you will only get a weblink.

"From 1 August 2009, physical pins will only be sent for Gold and Platinum levels. All levels will be sent an icon for you to load onto your webpages of profile."

So if you are aiming to get these - or al;ready have but need to log it on the www.earthcache.org site - get cracking.

I received my silver last week and need only 1 in another province (except MP, GP or NW) for my gold. I do hope that they don't decide to stop the gold and platinum pins as well.

I also read on the other forums that they are looking into selling the pins. Rather that than doing away with it all together.

I know you can buy a WHITE pin - which is not for any award - it is only $2 i think - but i agree.

I have another 4 Earthcaches to get to qualify for Gold!!!!! Not many around where I travel unfortunately. So I hope to get there before they stop the gold pins.

If all works out well -I will have 10 in total finds in another 2 months (2 more on my radar).

I just need to encourage local cahcers here to hide Earthcaches.

You can always come down to the good old Lowveld when you are in SA again. There are a few new ECs from GPS Storm and me in MP and there are few more on their way.

It's on my to do list. I see you guys beat me to a Kaapsehoop EC. I lived in ngodwana for 8 and a bit years - ever since getting into Geocaching that has been on my radar for an Earthcache.

do you know about the geological trail along the Coetzeestroom hiking trail - some great examples of pilliow lava, gold bearing reef etc.

Houtbosloop is another that I'd love to do - having worked at Sappi in the environmental field - I can't wait to submit an answer on exotic species and water use.

We'll be there sooner or later.

Just a quick heads up for anyone planning to get their BRONZE or SILVER earthcache masters. Earthcache.org is only planning on send ign physical pins (and they are really quiet good) until 1 August 2009. thereafter you will only get a weblink.

"From 1 August 2009, physical pins will only be sent for Gold and Platinum levels. All levels will be sent an icon for you to load onto your webpages of profile."

So if you are aiming to get these - or al;ready have but need to log it on the www.earthcache.org site - get cracking.

Thanks for letting us know! I'm one Earthcache + 1 developed away from Silver, so I'll now push for that. Developing one in less than a month might be a problem though... In the meantime I've applied for my Bronze pin.

Thanks for letting us know! I'm one Earthcache + 1 developed away from Silver, so I'll now push for that. Developing one in less than a month might be a problem though... In the meantime I've applied for my Bronze pin.

Enjoy - shout if you need some help, ideas or review of your wording before submittiong.

I'll only be too happy to asssist.