Possible for a cache reviewer to correct a cache which is 100ft off?

Insane Kangaroo

There is a cache named Raven's View in Homer Alaska which is 100 ft off. Owner stated early in logs their GPS wasn't working well in an area with trees. Would it be possible to correct the coordinates? I can verify coordinates after I go back. I'm not going to log "not found" since the coordinates were seriously off. The area is heavily treed when going off trail and in the summer it is marsh like.

email the owner with your updated coords. They can make the corrections. Assuming your GPS handles trees better than the owners GPS.

Many have complained in the logs, and a few have even took some time to give proper coordinates. One even took the time to write down several coordinates which were approximations since the user also had a unit which wasn't working well in a heavily tree covered area. Its a real burden, because there are several dead trees which I was climbing over. The area is not friendly off-trail, and in fact is worse than the forest behind me in terms of how close the trees are together in the specific area. Also there is lots of wetland, or so it seems, right now. Stepping in a ton of muddy water was not the way I wanted to end my day.

The cache owner hasn't logged a find in 5yrs, and hasn't even logged in for over a year. Cache appears to still be viable even with the MIA owner. Seems like a prime example for the reviewer updating the coords.

Lots of logs offer corrected coords. Counting the group that had 6 GPS with them, I count 12 sets of corrected coords. I averaged them all together, and came up with N59° 39.691 W151° 37.270 which is about 115ft from the posted coords. I'd go with those if I were updating the cache page.

Edited by Mopar