Suspicious FTF's

tec_64

-- snip --

What I feel the op is saying is there is a group who do it with every cache they publish. They have their own little click and don't care or realise that this may make some of the other locals feel excluded. Others would like a chance to get ftfs as well and feel that they are being denied the opportunity.

-- snip --

I feel the ops frustration, I recommend you vent it to get it out of your system, then move on, start thinking about placing some caches of your own and get enjoyment from seeing who gets ftf.

Kiwi Nomad got exactly what I was getting at.

As well, Kiwi's closing comment advice is taken.

Thank you again for all your replies!!

tec_64

I don't think most people have an issue with a cache placer passing on the cocordinates for an unpublished cache when appropriate. Like some of the examples already given.

What I feel the op is saying is there is a group who do it with every cache they publish. They have their own little click and don't care or realise that this may make some of the other locals feel excluded. Others would like a chance to get ftfs as well and feel that they are being denied the opportunity.

Now if they all happen to be faster and arn't getting the coordinates before hand then it just means sitting down and working out if there is some way of getting the coordinates faster and being ready to leap at the chance straight away.

I have texted other cachers sometimes if I see a new cache published, but I don't do it all the time. Sometimes I do sometimes I don't.

I feel the ops frustration, I recommend you vent it to get it out of your system, then move on, start thinking about placing some caches of your own and get enjoyment from seeing who gets ftf.

"Others" can certainly hide their own caches and see who gets the FTF on those. I just can't understand the indignation and sense of entitlement about all of this. We can all still go find the cache, right? FTF can be fun but it certainly isn't something that needs to be regulated to make sure the playing field is level.

Way too much angst over something that should be a non-issue. But we are all often very good at such things, especially here. :unsure:

I just can't understand the indignation and sense of entitlement about all of this.

Sorry I didn't get that when I read it, just someone frustrated and wanting to share that with people who actualy understand geocaching and maybe some other ftf hunters

We can all still go find the cache, right?[/qoute]

Yes but it's oh more exciting going for ftf especialy if you think someone else might be as well.

Everything has to be done that much faster to try and get that ftf that someone else normaly gets.

FTF can be fun but it certainly isn't something that needs to be regulated to make sure the playing field is level.

No one said anything about regulating it that would be over kill. There are always times when it would make sence to share the coordinates before it is published.

Way too much angst over something that should be a non-issue. But we are all often very good at such things, especially here. :ph34r:

I see a difference between angst and frustration. If I have a bad experience, a row of dnfs, missed ftfs, or anything else, I share my story with another geocacher. Maybe they will laugh with me and go yeah that happened to me once sucks ah. Or that they can understand how I feel and come with some suggestions as help me move on.

I come in here to have the sort of discussion about geocaching that I used to have at work when everyone goes for coffee break and moans about their bosses and how unresonable they are etc or when something went right for once. We would share what wads happening, have a laugh, come up with some smart alec comments and everyone would go back to their desks feeling a bit better about their day and get on with it.

The most frustrating thing I find with ftfs is getting there first and NOT being able to find it!! :blink:

Yes this has happened more than once. Found them so easily after someone else. :unsure:

By this logic, if I decide to sell my house , my car, or my business and mention it to a friend who knows someone interested and I end up selling it to them, I am guilty of discrimination because I did not give the general public a chance at it? Pahleese. Not even bad form.

On the surface, this analogy seems right but it is not really congruent to the topic. If, as stated in your analogy, you actually SOLD the house to the friend and then DID NOT list it to the public (since it was already sold) there would be no problem.

In the case of the advance coordinates, the "sale" has been made but the FTF possibility is still offered to the public AS IF it was truly available to the public.

This would be like taking earnest money from your friend, accepting his contract, and then turning right around and signing a contract with a real estate agent to list the house for sale- without informing the real estate agent OR potential buyers that a contract to purchase the house has already been signed and accepted.

i think this would certainly be considered FOUL ("Pahleese" notwithstanding). It would probably be considered criminal.

The "I can give information to anyone I please" argument doesn't hold water at all. It always has consequences.

In geocaching it is at most irritating to some and will perhaps cause loss of friendship, tarnished reputation in the community, and long forum threads.

In 'the real world" it could land one in prison... ferinstance if a government purchasing agent told hisher friend (who happens to be a contractor) what the bid needed to look like to get a "leg up" on a Federal contract.

Regarding Briansnat's comment:

How is it artificial? FTF is FTF. There is no rule stating that you can't give your buddies a heads up that you are about to have a cache published. In fact there is no rule that says you can't give your buds the coords before the cache is published. This is just a listing site. How a cache owner chooses to advertise his cache is totally up to him.

True. How a cache owner chooses to publish his cache is his business.

As i have said before, spoiling the FTF race is not a whopping big deal.

But if someone KNOWS that a certain behaviour will cause certain people consternation and they choose to behave in that way anyhow, they are most certainly showing disrespect for that group of people that they are knowingly offending.

One CAN choose to offend. That is a basic human right. One can even pretend that what they know will offend will not.

I changed my personal policy on logging finds online because a cache owner took me to task for not logging a FTF. Her point was that people would go out seeking the cache expecting that the FTF was possible. My first thought on the subject was "so what, you don't always get FTF anyway... that is an integral part of the FTF game."

I came to understand that there is a difference in being simply "a day late and a dollar short" and going on a wild goose chase. I now log FTFs ASAP out of RESPECT for others that play the FTF game.

I think people should not give out advance coordinates to their friends (for the purpose of them getting a jump on the FTF) out of RESPECT for the people who play the FTF game. At least if they DO give out the coordinates to their friends, they should note that fact on the cache page... again, out of RESPECT for those who play the FTF game.

Granted RESPECT is not mandatory, but it makes life a little nicer in a world where there is precious little of it practised anymore.

People that would give their friends advance notice so they can get the FTF, would entertain themselves by shutting doors in the faces of little old ladies- or play golf???. :unsure:

We live in a medium size city (Baton Rouge) but unfortunately we only have a hand full of active cachers. Of my last set of hides two people have been either FTF or STF at all of them. One of them actually teaches Geocaching Classes. They do not have an “inside track” they just like FTF!

Edited by Pat in Louisiana
What I feel the op is saying is there is a group who do it with every cache they publish.

The OP's theory is possible, however, since (s)he's not a premium member, I would guess that those folks who are finding the caches are, and are getting instant notifications. Some PM's even have the instant notification thingy go straight to their cell phones so they don't have to worry about checking E-mails. It wouldn't matter where they were or what they were doing, when a cache got published, they'd get notified.

What I feel the op is saying is there is a group who do it with every cache they publish.

The OP's theory is possible, however, since (s)he's not a premium member, I would guess that those folks who are finding the caches are, and are getting instant notifications. Some PM's even have the instant notification thingy go straight to their cell phones so they don't have to worry about checking E-mails. It wouldn't matter where they were or what they were doing, when a cache got published, they'd get notified.

That is a feature well suited for the FTF hounds that are REALLY serious (and perhaps don't have a life?).

I tried it once and got so many alerts that it became more of an annoyance than a help. - But that's just me.

By the way, it wasn't too difficult to find the Sudbury FTF Cartel conspirists. Personally, If I was a local, I'd be much more upset that Sudbury just got it's first LPC earlier this month. :D

what is an LPC, please? not familiar with that term.

RSG

LPC is a lamp Post Cache - the skirts on the bottom of most large lamps...parking lot lights....cover the bolts that hold them up. Many caches are hidden under these Skirts.

"May I have your attention please"? "Jesus was black, Ronald Reagan was the devil, and its not cheating to give out the coordinates of your cache to someone before its published. Thank you"

Edited by sam

We see this "race" to be the FTF with a few folks in our area as well. We could not care less, because we are mainly geocaching for the exercise and the fun of the hunt. This sport can certainly bring out the inner child in people, and I think it might only become an issue for someone if FTF status was important to them. The reward for just going out into areas I've never seen before, doing it with my hubby for very little $$$, and getting my BUTT off the sofa is priceless - more important than a FTF for us. Everyone is different . . .

kanu59 :)