Nice Walmart container - new on shelves $1.99

I filled this with rocks and sunk it in a bucket of water for 48 hours in the shade and in the sun and, of course, in the moonlight. Came up dry as a bone. Noticed them on a Walmart end cap. 9" tall x 3" diameter. For a buck ninety nine, it's a good container. One that will hide really well next to a fallen log - cover it with glued on bark and really get them going.

Just sharing. I like it. Settin' one up tonight.

382610f5-629d-4ed8-bb15-81c5a4277aad.jpg

I filled this with rocks and sunk it in a bucket of water for 48 hours in the shade and in the sun and, of course, in the moonlight. Came up dry as a bone. Noticed them on a Walmart end cap. 9" tall x 3" diameter. For a buck ninety nine, it's a good container. One that will hide really well next to a fallen log - cover it with glued on bark and really get them going.

I put a few of those out about 6 months ago and they stay dry i put one at the beach and its dry as a bone.

I got mine at walmart but i havent seen them there lately.

Cool. Probably marked down because of the BPA scare :)

While you're shopping at Wal*Mart, there's another cache-worthy container that I've been using lately. It's a plastic dry box of the sort used by boaters. Costs about six bucks, with a larger version available for eight. Pic:

90e3edb4-339d-4177-8baa-f808396866fd.jpg

For a buck ninety nine, it's a good container.

Looks like it has promise. I think I need to go shopping!

I haven't had any luck with the clear box above this post. I bought one to play with, and just sitting in the back of my truck caused it to get a couple tablespoons of water in it. I figured for the price, I could get a couple ammo boxes, and haven't played with them since.

How deep was the bucket?

What kind of plastic? Does it have a number on the bottom? Even if the bottom is good, the cap looks like it might be polyethylene, which will degrade in sunlight. If the cap is, say, polypropylene, then it should be good. Unfortunately, caps are seldom labeled with the type of plastic.

Edward

Cool. Probably marked down because of the BPA scare :(

While you're shopping at Wal*Mart, there's another cache-worthy container that I've been using lately. It's a plastic dry box of the sort used by boaters. Costs about six bucks, with a larger version available for eight. Pic:

That's been my new favorite lately. I've hidden one, and replaces a few damaged containers for other Cachers. I have about a dozen that I've accumulated over time. They all seen to be filled with trinkets now.

For a buck ninety nine, it's a good container.

Looks like it has promise. I think I need to go shopping!

I haven't had any luck with the clear box above this post. I bought one to play with, and just sitting in the back of my truck caused it to get a couple tablespoons of water in it. I figured for the price, I could get a couple ammo boxes, and haven't played with them since.

Did you take out the paper that is on top of the o-ring? That would wick in water?

Edited by WRITE SHOP ROBERT

Cool. Probably marked down because of the BPA scare :(

I've got one of these sitting on my shelf that I can't decide if I want to use as a container or a gear tote. I think it would make a great cache container. So much more sturdy than a loc-n-loc for about the same price.

I checked a local Wal-Mart yesterday for the water bottle in the OP and sadly, they had none.

I've got one of these sitting on my shelf that I can't decide if I want to use as a container or a gear tote. I think it would make a great cache container. So much more sturdy than a loc-n-loc for about the same price.

I checked a local Wal-Mart yesterday for the water bottle in the OP and sadly, they had none.

I still use ammo boxes primarily, but the small boxes are lighter and easier to carry. My experience has been that they're totally air- and water-tight, so I think WSR's got the right idea--if a new one leaked, it probably had the paper seal-protector left in place.

Anyhow, I have about eight of these containers out in the Arizona desert and on mountain peaks undergoing harsh field testing. I'll report back in a year or so.

I cant speak for the brand of the bottle. (If it has one.)

I have picked these up at a few places and tested them and they seem fine. Our local Dollar Tree has had this kind. I have even bought them at thrift stores for like a quarter and painted them up. The cheap paint i use eventually wears off of the cap where it bends, but it works.

I filled this with rocks and sunk it in a bucket of water for 48 hours in the shade and in the sun and, of course, in the moonlight. Came up dry as a bone. Noticed them on a Walmart end cap. 9" tall x 3" diameter. For a buck ninety nine, it's a good container. One that will hide really well next to a fallen log - cover it with glued on bark and really get them going. Just sharing. I like it. Settin' one up tonight.
Good share! Thanks! I have a decon container in a hollow of a tree with a little more room available. It's a fine hide but when it rains hard the hollow fills with water and the thing leaks! I thought decon's were waterproof (maybe the seal is shot). But looks like this would be able to take it's place.

I still don't see what people hide 35mm canisters when the 86-cent waterproof match holder from WallyWorld can be stepped on and stays durable and water tight for years :D

Thanks!

Did you take out the paper that is on top of the o-ring? That would wick in water?

Yup. I took out the paper as soon as I left the store. Judging from your success, it's possible mine was simply defective, or Florida's increased humidity is just too much for the container. Not sure which. On a related note, my container was not protected, either from the elements, or from the junk bashing around in the bed of my truck, which may be part of my problem, but although it has many scratches and gouges, there are no holes... yet. Since I've seen other folks using these, I may have to buy another one and give it a second shot, but I'm kinda hung on Lock & Locks, which are cheaper and have survived my rough treatment.

I still don't see why people hide 35mm canisters when the waterproof match holder can be stepped on and stays durable and water tight for years

It's the "Cheap & Easy" principle. While WMC's are inexpensive, and relatively easy to obtain, film canisters are free for the taking. :D

Picked up one of the containers today at Wally World and am testing it now to see how it holds up to the expected abuse that both mother nature and fellow cachers will subject it too. This one may be destroyed in the process but if it holds up as well as other containers we have used than it will be a nice inexpensive small container. It cost us $2.00 at our Wally World.

Must be local price gouging :):D

It's the "Cheap & Easy" principle. While WMC's are inexpensive, and relatively easy to obtain, film canisters are free for the taking. :(

Agreed, but after a few trips to maintain the hide (wet log sheet, squirrel chewed container, light weight blew or floated away, etc) and gas at +$4/gallon, the 35mm canister can get expensive, too. Kind of a pay-me-now or pay-me-later. But at least the 35mm beats an Altoids can hands down! :D

Yup. I took out the paper as soon as I left the store. Judging from your success, it's possible mine was simply defective, or Florida's increased humidity is just too much for the container. Not sure which. On a related note, my container was not protected, either from the elements, or from the junk bashing around in the bed of my truck, which may be part of my problem, but although it has many scratches and gouges, there are no holes... yet. Since I've seen other folks using these, I may have to buy another one and give it a second shot, but I'm kinda hung on Lock & Locks, which are cheaper and have survived my rough treatment.

I still don't see why people hide 35mm canisters when the waterproof match holder can be stepped on and stays durable and water tight for years

It's the "Cheap & Easy" principle. While WMC's are inexpensive, and relatively easy to obtain, film canisters are free for the taking. :(

Maybe the added heat from your truck bed caused the plastic to warp?

What luddite is still using film? I haven't touched the stuff in years.

I filled this with rocks and sunk it in a bucket of water for 48 hours in the shade and in the sun and, of course, in the moonlight. Came up dry as a bone.

If gets below freezing in your area - toss it in the freezer for 24 hours, then leave it on counter for 24 hours. Repeat at least three times.

Then see how well it holds up.

Cool. Probably marked down because of the BPA scare :unsure:

One of these is presently residing abount 10' underwater and seems to be holding up well. The only report of moisture was right after another cacher had opened it during a rain shower. Deadiest Cache

Cool. Probably marked down because of the BPA scare :angry:

I bought the same thing nearly a year ago! Only.. I have yet to place it because I find the dang thing too useful!