Road abandoned because of washout

genegene

While searching for a location for a park and grab, I ran across an old road along side a new road that has been for the most part washed away.

I am sure that at one time it was all there but it must have been abandoned because it washed away and would have cost to much to fix because of the location of the road. The road ran along the side of a hill that has a large stream going under it all year long.

In the spring this areas streams run very fast and in large volumes of water under the abandoned road.

Could this old road and bridge be used to show the most destructive force in the world, Water?

Yes, I said water (H2O) is the most destructive force in the world.

I'm not sure how to write it up yet so I cant give any specifics yet as to how it would work, so any thoughts would be great.

While searching for a location for a park and grab, I ran across an old road along side a new road that has been for the most part washed away.

I am sure that at one time it was all there but it must have been abandoned because it washed away and would have cost to much to fix because of the location of the road. The road ran along the side of a hill that has a large stream going under it all year long.

In the spring this areas streams run very fast and in large volumes of water under the abandoned road.

Could this old road and bridge be used to show the most destructive force in the world, Water?

I'm not sure how to write it up yet so I cant give any specifics yet as to how it would work, so any thoughts would be great.

Here is the link to an excellent earthcache that highlights the power of water. St. Francis Dam Failure, Saugus California by TerryDad2

Trying to find out who is responsible for the land is the tough part.

I would ask myself this question first: Would I enjoy visiting this old abandoned road to log an 'earthcache'?

I've always considered an earthcache as something natural and beautiful. I doubt I would enjoy visiting broken up concrete.

I've always considered an earthcache as something natural and beautiful. I doubt I would enjoy visiting broken up concrete.

Actually I was quite amazed by it. Looking at the entire area around the old bridge you can see how it is affected by the stream coming down off the Mt. Where ever the water is being blocked, it finds a new way to get down hill. nothing gets in its way. An entire hill side is being washed away from the loss of soil being washed downstream.

Actually I was quite amazed by it. Looking at the entire area around the old bridge you can see how it is affected by the stream coming down off the Mt. Where ever the water is being blocked, it finds a new way to get down hill. nothing gets in its way. An entire hill side is being washed away from the loss of soil being washed downstream.

Is there a nice view? If you took pictures, post them here!

Is there a nice view? If you took pictures, post them here!

I'm not so sure earthcaches have to have a nice view to be worth seeing (althhough I certainly do love the ones that do!).

I try to tell my students not to enter flash flood waters in their cars, even if they are 'pretty sure' it's only an inch or too deep. I make them swing a gallon of water and try to imagine how much force/mass there may be in even a few inches of running water.

They still think they can make it across the road in their car. It *might* impress them to see that a few inches of water can not only take their car downstream quickly, it can take the whole road there too, eventually.

How is that 'Educational'?

It was just a side note trainlove. They were pointing out the force that water has behind it even if it is 2 inches of running water. Now imagine that 2 inches of water coming down the side of a Mt. non stop for 4 hrs. It could take out anything in its path if it is not able to hold its ground.

Besides what are your tires made of primarily? Rubber, now put that on a car rim and fill it up with air and I guarantee that it will float under the right conditions.

Its along the same principles of Hydroplaning, I'm sure there is a mathematical equation like (em=f), but I'm not going to pretend that I am even close to knowing what it is.

How is that 'Educational'?

Check the guidelines for submitting an Earth Cache at http://www.earthcache.org/

Construction standards change over time, including the construction of roads. Geology plays a very important role in the siting, engineering and construction of roads. Maybe the OP can contrast the old and new construction and highlight how the new road is sited better to not be affected by the runoff.