Found a new way to cache!

I love that commentary! It tells how you felt without being rude, and is still fun to read. I really like the work you added for the links. Thanks.

BTW, being on the road in the Big Truck, I do get to see many different types of guardrails, and how the technology had changed, but I am easily entertained. The history of barbed wire is fascinating too.

i used to feel that every cache was a gift, and that even lame guardrail micros were fun.

that was back when a lame guardrail micro was unusual and therefore funny. or a quick smiley while resting between more taxing hunts.

i'm still having a grand time and even sometimes at lame guardrail micros, but they are becoming more and more the norm and THAT's why i'm making a fuss about it. i want to rattle people's bars about it, wake them up a little. i wish for the pendulum to swing back some, and have people put a little more effort into it.

there's no need for a micro at every starbucks or at every pull-off along a road, and i even see cases where a hider will place a lame roadside micro and then dress up the description so it sounds like a great place.

yesterday i found three caches: a micro at a starbucks, a multi with a standard ammo can in a field between box stores, and a waking tour of a shopping area parking lot. while i enjoyed all three to some degree, i wouldn't want people to assume that's the standard to which to aspire, or even the norm.

sadly, numbers spew is becoming more common because that's what people seem to want. quick number caches with little else to redeem them. it's lazy. i have to think (or at least hope) that if people were exposed to more good and interesting hides, they would know to want better than they're getting.

I can agree with most of this. This kind of degraation is the result of the great website that has been built, and all the positive press the game has received. The game has attracted a great many people who are not at all like the ones who began the game. In that regard the game is becoming a victim of it's own success. We will have to just wait and see if those who love to play that way continue to enjoy the game.

I will say that there have been times when I am in an area and look up all the nearest caches I think I feel like walking to, and see a list filled with "Log only micros" then get dissappointed and give up. What I don't do is go looking for tham and then whine about it afterward. Instead I find something else to do that day.

I have come to realise that I play this game not to be wowwed by every cache, but to get a simple diversion from everyday stresses. Therefore, I am not affected by 'mediocre' caches.

I have come to a point where the most enjoyment I get from most Cache finds is the chance to leave the swag I have as gifts for the next finder. Hardly any Caches are a disappointment in that regard.

I have come to realise that I play this game not to be wowwed by every cache, but to get a simple diversion from everyday stresses. Therefore, I am not affected by 'mediocre' caches.

I have come to a point where the most enjoyment I get from most Cache finds is the chance to leave the swag I have as gifts for the next finder. Hardly any Caches are a disappointment in that regard.

The enjoyment I receive and what keeps me coming back for more is the fact that I know after 10 or 15 hides placed by the recipient of a tranquilizer dart, that I'll find one that reminds me of why I fell in love with this game... After a good hunt, you should be able to feel the effort that was put into the hide (or lack of effort)... Call it "Different ways of playing the game" if you want, but that's a cop out in my opinion.

I don't play the game to get wowwed by every cache either. I'm just glad that TPTB don't have the attitudes of some of those in this forum. Guess that's why they've made a successful business.. Setting your expectations high may lead to some disappointment, but at least I haven't given in to mediocrity.

Here's an option for you to consider...

Rather than not logging your finds, and then coming to the forums with vague accounts of all the crap caches you found, maybe you could ACTUALLY LOG your finds and tell the Cache owners directly how crappy their caches are. Of course this would require you to take resposnibility for the comments you have on each persons Cache.

What exactly were you expecting when you came here to the forums to brag about all the crap Caches you found, but leave no record of having found any at all. You cannot even back up your claims. I challenge you to log your finds and confront directly the quality of Caches you claim to have found.

Back up what claims??? It's not a big secret that the quality of caches has diminished. I signed the log book of the caches I found over the weekend. Out of all of them, the 1 awesome cache I found was worth all the garbage during the day.. How about I share that one? Very thin logging road twisting into the hills with sheer drop-offs and a beatiful view as a reward for white-knuckeling it up to the top.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...ac-060154d7bdf6

One would think that after three years of playing the game that one would either come up with a way of minimizing his dissatisfaction or would quit and find something else to do.

I have been a huge supporter of a ratings system and am a very vocal supporter of the new awards system that is coming out. The current method of minimizing dissatisfaction is not acceptable.. I'm glad that you've found a way... Perhaps you are just more simple and easy to please?

I sometimes wonder why there is no backlash from moderators when there is such a rude attack and direct insult such as this. These forums are supposed to be free from these personal attacks, are they not? Your back handed comment is out of line and Just because someone has an opinion differing from yours does not mean they have a "Garbage attitude" . Why don't you get it together and behave like an adult, and if you're only 5 then I apologize, by all means...Continue

Hahahaha! You crack me up! :( In the same breath you are giving me a tongue lashing for being rude, you call me a 5 year old... Priceless. Do you have any more gems? This is by far more entertaining than my weekend caching trip.

One would think that after three years of playing the game that one would either come up with a way of minimizing his dissatisfaction or would quit and find something else to do.

I have been a huge supporter of a ratings system and am a very vocal supporter of the new awards system that is coming out. The current method of minimizing dissatisfaction is not acceptable.. I'm glad that you've found a way... Perhaps you are just more simple and easy to please?

I sometimes wonder why there is no backlash from moderators when there is such a rude attack and direct insult such as this. These forums are supposed to be free from these personal attacks, are they not? Your back handed comment is out of line and Just because someone has an opinion differing from yours does not mean they have a "Garbage attitude" . Why don't you get it together and behave like an adult, and if you're only 5 then I apologize, by all means...Continue

Hahahaha! You crack me up! :( In the same breath you are giving me a tongue lashing for being rude, you call me a 5 year old... Priceless. Do you have any more gems? This is by far more entertaining than my weekend caching trip.

Another one of your classic examples of not reading what was written before you shoot off a response. I have not called you a 5 year old.

I said if you are a child, then I apologize for expecting you to behave like an adult. Clearly you are not a child, so I wonder why your comments are what they are.

"I did get the typical responses from the typical people." = disguised insult

"Occasionally you find something good amongst the garbage" = disguised insult

"garbage attitudes in these forums" = direct insult

"Perhaps you are just more simple and easy to please" childish insult

"It's easier to report a post than deal with the truth that lies within it" = hypocritical, it' seasier to come and whine in the forums than to log your finds listing your complaints for the Cache hider to read. If you are not willing to address your complaints directly with the ones who have offended you, then I place no value on your negative opinions

"Stop visiting BAD caches" take your own advice, don't visit them.

" that you find 95% of my posts annoying and a waste of your time" = won't argue with that one

In before the inevitable lock with the requisite mention (of at least once per thread) of nanny goats and their importance to geocaching.

And, just in case no one else has yet invoked Godwin's Law in this thread, here is the requisite needful (albeit rather bizarre) statement that will qualify for that honor:

I think that anyone who likes drive-up junk lame urban caches and who does not agree with ALL of my opinions in the realm of geocaching would probably have supported Hitler and likely even thinks like Hitler and is a wannabe Nazi.

:(:)

:D

:):):D:D:D

I also noted that you have experienced some trouble with your own cache hides.

Could you be a little more specific in the "trouble" you are referring to? The fact that you are pulling numbers off my account to pass judgment is one of the reasons I don't log my finds anymore.

Specifically, the majority of your hides are out of action.

?? Some of his old caches have run their course and have been archived.

The way that your phrased it, "out of action" implies that some maintenance is pending and the caches are temporarily disabled until issues have been resolved. Archived caches aren't temporarily "out of action"; they're all done. Assuming that the remnants have been retrieved, there are no pending maintenance issues for those.

Is there now some sort of stigma attached to being the owner of archived caches?

The fact is that some geocaches are more enjoyable than other. Sometimes different cachers find different things enjoyable and we can account for some "lame" caches by saying that someone must like them. But generally what we see is a cache that with a little effort could be made more enjoyable for everyone. Using a better container. Picking a hiding place that is not full of trash and garbage. Taking time to camouflage your cache instead of just dropping a coffee can or even an ammo can with the military markings still on it. Putting decent swag in your cache.

Sometimes we wish we could all cache in Lake Wobegon - where every cache is above average. But in the real world there are average caches, below average caches, and above average caches. If you find a below average cache, especially one place by a newbie, a log with polite suggestion on how to improve the cache might actually have some impact in getting this person to spend a little more time when placing their next cache. Harsh criticism on the cache page probably doesn't help. Placing the best caches you can to set an example may help - it at least will let other know what you like to find. I'm pretty sure that ranting in the forums doesn't help improve caches.

"I did get the typical responses from the typical people." = disguised insult

Statement of fact. Nothing disguised about it

"Occasionally you find something good amongst the garbage" = disguised insult

Yes, I insulted a metal container. Where are those moderators?

"garbage attitudes in these forums" = direct insult

Its my opinion that a lot of the attitudes in these forums directly result in the said garbage that is being put along the roads. Who is insulted? I've looked at caches placed by those that I am arguing with and they are generally REALLY good caches... That's what's so baffling to me.

"Perhaps you are just more simple and easy to please" childish insult

Simple and easy to please, high expectations and difficult to please. How is that insulting? Perhaps you are being a bit too dramatic?

"It's easier to report a post than deal with the truth that lies within it" = hypocritical, it' seasier to come and whine in the forums than to log your finds listing your complaints for the Cache hider to read. If you are not willing to address your complaints directly with the ones who have offended you, then I place no value on your negative opinions

I have nothing to say to the cache owners. They are guilty of nothing more than being tranquilized. Nothing in the guidelines says cache placers can't be tranquilized when placing caches. If I mentioned the caches that offended me, would I not then be in violation of the forum guidelines? That WSR is a tricky one.

"Stop visiting BAD caches" take your own advice, don't visit them.

I did.. I pointed at them while driving by them. Maybe you should re-read my original post.

" that you find 95% of my posts annoying and a waste of your time" = won't argue with that one

Well, then stop visiting BAD forum posts.. I have to assume you enjoy this, otherwise you wouldn't be here. Why am I not on your ignore list?

This post brought to you by the letters W, S and R.

it does take a lot of time to link the logs, but i think it's the best way to tell the story with any continuity.

OK, thanks. Perhaps in my Copious Spare Time I'll poke around to see if I can make this easier using GSAK. I agree, it's a good way to tell a story, and I do a good bit of that myself.

Edward

Why is it so hard to understand that accepting mediocrity breeds more mediocrity?

Careful! Your pronouncements may be viewed as a call for folks to utilize at least a hint of creativity in their cache creation process, rather than the now accepted practice of spitting out a carpy container at an uninspired location. Too much of that and you'll be KBI'd into the "I hate all micros" crowd. :)

I didn’t become aware of this post until today – but it compels me to respond.

(1) I disagree with ReadyOrNot’s premise that “accepting mediocrity breeds more mediocrity.”

I believe the truth is quite the opposite of this premise – and I also believe you agree with me, Ready. Whenever I find caches which I feel are exceptionally lame or uninspired it prompts me to think to myself that I can do much
better,
and emboldens me to try. It does NOT make me want to
copy
the ‘mediocrity.’ Based on the passionate statements I hear regularly from the Complainer crowd, and from Clan Riffster and ReadyOrNot in particular, it seems obvious to me that you guys think very much the same way. I therefore challenge your premise as being an invalid piece of the “lame caches are bad for the hobby” argument.

(2) I disagree with both of Clan Riffster’s implied premises that “KBI is anti-creativity” and “KBI is pro-lameness.”

CR has made this strawman claim several times in the past. Each time I’ve seen his claim I have challenged him to produce even a single post of mine saying that I am either anti-creativity and pro-lameness. Each time I have challenged him he has responded with nothing but silence, followed shortly thereafter by a repeat of the bogus claim. Consider this a repeat of the challenge, CR: Please show me any post of mine where I have either opposed “the use of creativity in the cache creation process,” or promoted “the practice of spitting out a carpy container at an uninspired location.” If you cannot, then please stop making the bogus claim.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I also see that you’ve taken to using my account name as a verb, CR, and that you seem to be doing so as a way to insult me in place of defending your statements. For this I say:

• Thank you. It always entertains me to watch a forum participant run out of responses and abandon his argument in favor of the ol’ ad hominem attack. I am honored that you have now named your well-established fallacy after me.
  • Thank you. I will watch for a while and root, on your behalf, for this new personal attack of yours to survive Moderator scrutiny. I’m hoping that it will be allowed because I want to pay you the ultimate compliment and copy your idea. If the Mods continue to allow you to use KBI as a verb, I will take up the practice myself and similarly begin using CR (CRs, CRing, CRed) as a verb to mean "one who personally insults his opponent as a cover for his unwillingness or inability to defend his intolerant, condescending and insulting criticisms of other people’s aesthetic preferences."

Edited by KBI