How long ago?

hat_man

Hello everyone,

I was just looking through the logs of the caches in my area and saw that some of them hadn't been found in a while or had very long lapses between finds. I think sometimes it has to do with the weather, or maybe just all the local cacher already "found it " :rolleyes:. Some of the older caches can be a lot of fun. A few years ago there weren't pre-made containers (epecially nanos) except for things that held ammo or leftovers. I haven't done alot of caches yet but I am seeing that at least around here, the older caches are much more creative and fun. The ones I have placed and the ones I place in the future I hope will meet the bar set by the cachers before me. (Any opinions on older vs. newer caches?)

That being said, I thought this might be a good place to let others in your area see which caches haven't been found in a while. Who has a 1, 2, or 3 rated cache in their area that has the longest lapse in having been found. I don't want a listing of 5/5 caches that haven't been found, just fun caches that haven't been searched for in a while. It may help stir up some interest in our sport and serve as a jumping off point for new cachers in your area, or help someone in planning a trip or vacation. It may also help bring back some of the older ideas on containers and types of hides.

I realize that there are only so many "sweet spots" to be found, and hides will start to become more urban, but I like the idea of finding a cache that hasn't been found for a long time. It's not as "cool" as an FTF but it's almost as fun.

Take care and Happy Hunting

Hat_man

This cache hasn't been found since November 2005 . . .

This cache hasn't been found in more than two years.

Both are located a long way from me and with the price of gas here, more than $4.40/gallon, I won't be heading either place anytime soon, however, there is a cache just three miles from my place that hasn't been found since December 2006. I guess it's time for me to finally look for it . . . :rolleyes:

I haven't done alot of caches yet but I am seeing that at least around here, the older caches are much more creative and fun. The ones I have placed and the ones I place in the future I hope will meet the bar set by the cachers before me. (Any opinions on older vs. newer caches?)

Lack of creativity in new caches doesn't seem to be a problem in our area. I am often amazed and delighted by the new ideas that people keep coming up with -- for puzzles, for locations, for containers, for themes for cache series, etc. The bar keeps going up!

You can't judge a cache by its age, at least not in this area. Many of the old caches around here are terrific, but some are just uninspired leakware in why-am-I-here locations. And many of the new caches are just as good as, or better than, some of the great old caches.

We have some good caches around here but I was hoping to bring something new to our area. I have some good ideas but am still working out how to implement them. Also we have so many in our parks that it's getting harder not to violate the 528' rule with a larger container. I can see why people place magnetics, they can go just about anywhere. I like the idea of trading and am hoping in the future to stick to hiding caches large enough for trade items. Micros and nanos have their place and can be very good hides. We have a couple here that are giving me fits but have been fun trying to find. I just prefer larger ones.

Happy Hunting

Hat_man

We have a few caches reachable only by canoe or kayak.

This one http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...bc-3f8f0c185e04 hasn't been found (or Did-Not-Found) in two years.

Same for this one, also almost two years...http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=d875dd14-caa4-4461-a8f3-dbfc313b72b2.

This is our "Deep in the Forest" type cache, no finds or Did-Not-Finds in over a year, http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...2a-c648d95e9f2b.