Mark Hatfield Wilderness area cache question

wraithevolution

I tried searching this but couldn't find anything. I was wanting to place a cache in the Mark O Hatfield Wilderness area (Columbia Gorge) but was rejected. The reviewer said that I can't put a cache there without the landowners permission but that they don't usually allow it here in Oregon. So I left a voice message and sent an email with the forrest service but have gotten no reply. So then today, I whipped out my own green trail maps to see how far the Hatfield wilderness area goes and was surprised. It's quite a bit larger than I expected. What I also discovered was that there are currently 11 other geocache's in the Hatfield wilderness area. I'm no psychic here but I kinda doubt every single one of these other cache's have gotten permission to be there. So why are they allowed to leave their cache's there but I'm not allowed to do so in the same area? Any thoughts?

For years there were no restrictions on caches in Wilderness Areas. Then, individual wilderness areas started banning caches, but as a whole no special rules were required by reviewers of caches in Wilderness Areas. However, due to various issues, Groundspeak has relatively recently (last 1-2 years or so) asked reviewers to make sure that explicit permission has been obtained for any Wilderness Cache prior to posting.

Chances are the other caches you are seeing in the wilderness are older caches that have been grandfathered in.

That's what I had thought, that they were grandfathered in. But two of the cache's were placed this year. To add to that, the reviewer said that some places that don't allow them ask that they not be listed. So it would make sense to me that even if they were grandfathered in, they would have to be unlisted if they weren't allowed anymore. What bums me out is that I KNOW the forrest service is not going to take the time to respond to me with even a yes or no.

How long have you waited for a return call? My experience has been that sometimes a return call can take upwards of three (!) weeks. The biggest problem seems to be finding the right person to talk to. I suggest calling back after a reasonable time . . . say a week.

Just checked your profile and foud no finds under your belt. It may be possible you are not logging your finds and that's ok, but your newness to the sport indicates you have some learnin' to do before you try to hide anything.

My suggestion is to go for something a little simpler and well within the guidelines before trying something that requires work to maintain. You might find yourself burning out on this game fairly quickly and we'd hate to see geo litter get left behind what with good intentions and all that. :rolleyes:

That's what I had thought, that they were grandfathered in. But two of the cache's were placed this year. To add to that, the reviewer said that some places that don't allow them ask that they not be listed. So it would make sense to me that even if they were grandfathered in, they would have to be unlisted if they weren't allowed anymore. What bums me out is that I KNOW the forrest service is not going to take the time to respond to me with even a yes or no.

First, quit second guessing the other caches. It won't help you with yours. Second while I don't know who the right person is for your cache location, I can say there is a right person to find and ask. That's the real quest if that spot is truly worthy of a cache.

I'm already burnt out on this. I did plenty of research, found a few cache's and spent a couple months working on this, got a cache all ready. But since I'm a "newb" I should place one into the already oversaturated areas around here. Well no thanks. I'm a very serious hiker who hikes almost every weekend, year round on long hikes. I'm one of those people who brings along a little trash bag and cleans up anything I find along the way from other hikers. But I don't want to leave geo-litter.... I'll just stick with hiking from now on.

If there's a mod reading this, you can lock this thread if you want.

I'm already burnt out on this. I did plenty of research, found a few cache's and spent a couple months working on this, got a cache all ready. But since I'm a "newb" I should place one into the already oversaturated areas around here. Well no thanks. I'm a very serious hiker who hikes almost every weekend, year round on long hikes. I'm one of those people who brings along a little trash bag and cleans up anything I find along the way from other hikers. But I don't want to leave geo-litter.... I'll just stick with hiking from now on.

That's too bad. This sport melds in very nicely with hiking. Had you asked a reviewer first, you would have saved yourself a lot of grief. I hope you reconsider.

Bye Bye

Bye Bye

This is pretty accurate.

His profile

Profile Information:

I'm done before I ever even started. Just some stupid newb, new to the internets machine, who didn't do any research before starting.....

Attitude goes a long way in either direction and he chose to pick up his ball...