Usernames that are set up but have no activity in years

gvsu4msu

Today I thought I would see about setting up a unique geocaching persona for my wife. Checked a couple of nicknames she likes.

Discovered one (that would be her first preference) we set up on some day back in Nov 2005, and never accessed since - no logged finds or hides.

I was wondering if Groundspeak ever goes through to purge inactive accounts. In your profile it shows "last online" so there must be a way for them to know what the "inactive" or un-active accounts are.

Just a question.

Thanks for your space.

Today I thought I would see about setting up a unique geocaching persona for my wife. Checked a couple of nicknames she likes.

Discovered one (that would be her first preference) we set up on some day back in Nov 2005, and never accessed since - no logged finds or hides.

I was wondering if Groundspeak ever goes through to purge inactive accounts. In your profile it shows "last online" so there must be a way for them to know what the "inactive" or un-active accounts are.

Just a question.

Thanks for your space.

From the FAQ thead:

"If the username already exists and has ever been validated, or the username has been used in any way, then the username is not available."

Sounds like it's worth asking...send an email as directed in the link above.

Edited by Stunod

I agree, these should be freed up.

Only if an account has *zero* activity though - no logs (tb moves, notes posted, etc), finds, or hides.

I do know someone who wrote to contact@geocaching.com, and got a username change to one being taken by an unused dormant account. It definitely had zero finds and hides, and I believe it was only used the day it was created. That was back in the days when you could change usernames by a mouse click from your profile though, it would probably be tougher to pull something like that off today.

Funny, last fall I was going to change my username to TWU, as that is how I've signed hundreds of logbooks. I was toying with the idea for months, it was always open, and wouldn't you know, when I finally went to do it, some knucklehead went and took it!!

It would take me a while to find the threads, but semi-scientific research by some geeky stat freaks (myself included) showed over 25% of created accounts are never used to log a single cache, like the TWU I posted the link for. I'd be willing to bet most of these people don't even own a GPS. :rolleyes:

Edited by TheWhiteUrkel

Maybe an adoption could be setup, whether officially or unofficially with the current owner of the name. I would write the person an email and ask if they plan on continuing geocaching or if they would be willing to give up the name if they have given up the hobby. If unofficial adoption is the only option the current owner can change the password to a temporary password and email it to the new owner who can then change all details and carry on with the name.

Maybe an adoption could be setup, whether officially or unofficially with the current owner of the name. I would write the person an email and ask if they plan on continuing geocaching or if they would be willing to give up the name if they have given up the hobby. If unofficial adoption is the only option the current owner can change the password to a temporary password and email it to the new owner who can then change all details and carry on with the name.

Hopefully that person actually gets email at the address they first registered. I tried to get CacheMonkey from a guy/gal, but they never responded to my emails. Hopefully you'll get lucky though.

Hopefully that person actually gets email at the address they first registered. I tried to get CacheMonkey from a guy/gal, but they never responded to my emails. Hopefully you'll get lucky though.

CacheMonkey found 10 caches, although he hasn't logged in in 5 years. :rolleyes: I seriously doubt TPTB would alter history like that. Unless it was someone at Geocaching.com who told you to write them and ask. Even if the guy said yes, I imagine it would require him to change his username as well.

I think the thread is about usernames with no hides and finds, and it's my belief there are over 1/4 million of them. :anibad:

Edited by TheWhiteUrkel

Just a question.

Thanks for your space.

From the FAQ thead:

"If the username already exists and has ever been validated, or the username has been used in any way, then the username is not available."

Feel free to discuss this and wonder how it works but the FAQ and the post about it is the correct answer. If the account has any history it can not used by another cacher. Please write Contact@geocaching.com to request an account name.

Just a question.

Thanks for your space.

From the FAQ thead:

Feel free to discuss this and wonder how it works but the FAQ and the post about it is the correct answer. If the account has any history it can not used by another cacher. Please write Contact@geocaching.com to request an account name.

At the risk of starting a controversial thread, the quoted FAQ doesn't say a name can't be given away. It just says that the name is not available for TPTB to change it from another name. But if another cachers does what I suggested, and (I assumed no finds above) if they DO have finds those logs can be deleted right? And as long as it's between the two cachers, who would know? A cacher is allowed to change email, passwords and delete logs so nothing should raise any flags. Again, I figured we were speaking of relatively new cachers asking those with no finds for this. Though I would not suggest anyone do this with anyone with alot of caching history, I don't see the harm in adopting little used names, specially from those that have given up on geocaching.

Just a question.

Thanks for your space.

From the FAQ thead:

Thanks for the answer. I realize the historical implications of a geocaching.com account. But I think you should really consider auto-deletion of unused accounts, especially the "0 finds, 0 hides, used for one day, never logged in again" accounts. Obviously services like Hotmail and Yahoo will delete an email account after a certain period of inactivity. Years ago, I made a website for a little league football organization (eteamz.com, I believe). My child left for another organization, and when I went back like a year later, POOF, the whole website was deleted.

As you rapidly approach 2,000,000 accounts created, I'll bet I'm way on the low side when I say 1/4 million 0 find, 0 hide accounts. You don't have to answer that if you don't want to. :)

I would update the rules when you register a name and add:

If the first login is still the only login made to your account 6 months after creation, the account will be deleted.

When I heard about geocaching I had hope to register Rhialto and I had luck. I was far from having time to take the plundge at that moment (twins story) but was glad I registered my name for future use. I was very looking forward to start that new hobby that I logged many times to read and consult the site. It took some time to enter my 1st log.

It's a nonsense that there are currently accounts registered 2 years ago that had no visit except the really 1st one after the registration process but maybe that's just me.

Some of them have Passed Away

This is a good point. Like in the case of the original username "Cache Monkey" who found 10 caches from 2001-2003, and hasn't logged in in 5 years. He could very well no longer be with us. I'd suspect most unused accounts are just from people who will sign up for anything they find on the internet. :)

...At the risk of starting a controversial thread, the quoted FAQ doesn't say a name can't be given away. It just says that the name is not available for TPTB to change it from another name. But if another cachers does what I suggested, and (I assumed no finds above) if they DO have finds those logs can be deleted right? And as long as it's between the two cachers, who would know? A cacher is allowed to change email, passwords and delete logs so nothing should raise any flags. Again, I figured we were speaking of relatively new cachers asking those with no finds for this. Though I would not suggest anyone do this with anyone with alot of caching history, I don't see the harm in adopting little used names, specially from those that have given up on geocaching.

In time dormant, dead, or inactive accounts with a history could be retired so the information is still available for those interested in caching history. It would free up the name for newer folks to re-use. The current plan would result in everyone caching wtih serial numbers. "Boy that sls87a99ad9aujc" sure is a finding fool! "Yeah and that "s1s87a99ad9aujc" ain't too shabby either."

We are going to need to solve this problem sooner or later. Looks like later is still the current MO.

Names never used would be free per the guidelines.

Frankly, I always want to be the only "mtn-man" on the site. When I die, I certainly hope they won't amend my geonick and take it away and give it to someone else to re-use. Seems as though it would be confusing. I have a history on the site and I would like it to be remembered as "mtn-man", not "mtn-man(passed-away-whenever)". Part of the history is recognizing pioneers, like "Rebel", who recently passed away in Georgia. I would never want to see his nickname taken away from him. He is a part of the history of the site as "Rebel" and not "Rebel(passed-away-2008)".

I would never ever want to see that change.

Thanks for the answer. I realize the historical implications of a geocaching.com account. But I think you should really consider auto-deletion of unused accounts, especially the "0 finds, 0 hides, used for one day, never logged in again" accounts. Obviously services like Hotmail and Yahoo will delete an email account after a certain period of inactivity. Years ago, I made a website for a little league football organization (eteamz.com, I believe). My child left for another organization, and when I went back like a year later, POOF, the whole website was deleted.

I dislike this with a passion! It's one of the biggest reasons that I went to gmail. I don't like the pressure of having to remember to log into hotmail once a month so that I don't lose everything. I lost a very important email this way, and I have no way to email back a poor person who probably thinks I'm a rude person in for not getting back to him.

I do agree that there is an issue here. I just think there must be better ways to handle it.

I do know that several years ago, my brother was trying to sign up under the name Zephyr. The name was already taken, but hadn't been used. I can't remember, but it may have been unvalidated as well. So I wrote to Groundspeak and asked if the name could be given to my brother, and they were able to transfer that to him. I'm glad, as it took a lot of prodding over time for him to get an account, and I was happy that he got his preferred name. I'm glad that he's logged most of his finds. :)

Frankly, I always want to be the only "mtn-man" on the site. When I die, I certainly hope they won't amend my geonick and take it away and give it to someone else to re-use. Seems as though it would be confusing. I have a history on the site and I would like it to be remembered as "mtn-man", not "mtn-man(passed-away-whenever)". Part of the history is recognizing pioneers, like "Rebel", who recently passed away in Georgia. I would never want to see his nickname taken away from him. He is a part of the history of the site as "Rebel" and not "Rebel(passed-away-2008)".

Heartbreakingly true.

I also don't want to see a "dropped for inactivity" plan, which would drop mtn-man after he's climbed to the great mountain beyond, but I completely agree that it would be a good idea to auto-drop people who have NEVER had any activity after a set period of time - maybe 12 months after registration, if you haven't logged in, haven't logged a cache (find/hide), etc., then your name goes back to the available pile.

If an account had any history it will not be available for use by another person. Deleting the logs will not make it available for use by someone else. Once a name has a history it is locked to that account and can not be assigned to another account. Validation is part of the history. Deleting the logs will not remove the history of the Validation.

I hope this clears it up. But if I missed a point let me put it another way. Once an account is used in anyway including validation or logs of any kind. No matter the current state of those logs or validation it is not available to be used by another account or person.

If an account had any history it will not be available for use by another person. Deleting the logs will not make it available for use by someone else. Once a name has a history it is locked to that account and can not be assigned to another account. Validation is part of the history. Deleting the logs will not remove the history of the Validation.

I hope this clears it up. But if I missed a point let me put it another way. Once an account is used in anyway including validation or logs of any kind. No matter the current state of those logs or validation it is not available to be used by another account or person.

Yes, I'm still fuzzy. Here we have an unvalidated 0 find 0 hide account, only used for one day, surely to never be heard from again. So this username is available?

Here we have a validated 0 find, 0 hide account, that was only used the day it was created, and I'm sure never will be again. This username is gone forever?

There's a better chance of me being struck by lightning as I type this that either one of these accounts will ever visit again. But yet I'm thinking one is available, one is not?

Edited by TheWhiteUrkel
Yes, I'm still fuzzy. Here we have an unvalidated 0 find 0 hide account, even though they logged in over 2 years after creation. So this username is available?

Here we have a validated 0 find, 0 hide account, that was only used the day it was created, and I'm sure never will be again. This username is gone forever?

The first one you linked to has three finds.

A better example for the first one would be this one, which my wife created. We will be giving that one up since she is now using the "hockeychik.com" account name.

Yes, I'm still fuzzy. Here we have an unvalidated 0 find 0 hide account, even though they logged in over 2 years after creation. So this username is available?

The first one you linked to has three finds.

A better example for the first one would be this one, which my wife created. We will be giving that one up since she is now using the "hockeychik.com" account name.

Darn, you beat me to it. I fixed mine. It was a pain in the butt finding them, even though they were both created on the same day, probably within an hour of mine.

...I would never ever want to see that change.

And yet people still name their kids John Smith. When you die we are not talking about losing your history. Your account (and mine) can be retired perhaps wiht our active years. RK 2002-20XX for example (which you specificly disliked but I'm not thinking of making that the name so much as the Era for that person). I am talking about mtn-man being available at some point so our grandkids can have a name we recognize instead of serial numbers. Long live the new RK! but first wait for this RK to pass on.

Edited by Renegade Knight

Obviously services like Hotmail and Yahoo will delete an email account after a certain period of inactivity. Years ago, I made a website for a little league football organization (eteamz.com, I believe). My child left for another organization, and when I went back like a year later, POOF, the whole website was deleted.

Not so obvious.

Back in 1996 I signed up at some new website that had a hairbrained scheme to offer FREE email via a web interface. I signed up more as a goof then anything else. That site was yahoo.com, and I would kill to have that user name now, but I cant remember the password, and the ISP/email addy I used to sign up went belly up 10yrs ago. I haven't logged in to that account in 12yrs, and yet they wont give it to me, or anyone else.

My thought here is: Someone else took the name you want? Too bad. So sad. Create a different one! You're not entitled to it, just because you want it.

Real names are different. They don't have to be unique. That's what we have SSNs for. There are at least seven of me in the state on New Jersey, alone. Back in Bulletin Board days, a sysop in Michigan wanted me to change my name because he was getting all my news group messages. TBSS. I was there first!

I agree 100%

We have a local cacher who despite departing this world, still exists here. MotoGrrl... her profile still shows her last login as Tuesday, May 16, 2006. She was involved in a "truck vs. motorcycle" accident that evening and never made it home that night to log that day's finds. :(

Wouldn't want to see her Geocaching history taken away. And it would be incredibly disturbing to see that login name start appearing again in the hands of a newbie (or anyone else).

DCC