Why oh why did I purchase a Magellan!

Hi everyone,

I would appreciate some advice on my Magellan GPS handheld.

I purchased a Magellan Triton 200 North America two months ago since it was on sale: I was looking for a GPS unit for geocaching and didn't want one that was too expensive. Unfortunately, I was fooled by the sale :huh: ... for a shopper that usually check up on items before making a large purchase, this one must have fooled me good ... I only wished I was a smarter shopper two months ago :rolleyes:

The problem I have with the Magellan is that it is unable to load detailed maps of Canada. If I was living in the States, then this unit does not have any issues: it really is a great unit (in terms of signal reception) but not for a Canadian GPS user. :anibad: Last time I checked, Canada was a part of North America ... and no where on the package did it suggest that this Magellan was not going to load any detailed maps of Canada.

Without detailed maps for the GPS unit, it technically renders the device as quite useless for me ... now it is just an extremely expensive digital compass. :D

All jokes aside, I am attempting to save this GPS handheld and tried many things:

- I've searched online the Magellan website for software that could provide detailed maps of Canada (unfortunately, none are compatible with the Magellan Triton series)

- Tried converting Garmin detailed maps into Magellan compatible formats, but not successful ... error messages pop up

- I've spoke to the customer service reps and all of them said that "it is impossible to load detailed maps of Canada on the Triton" ... so then I question why the company would sell them in Canada and label it as the North America series ... I get silence and then eventually a hang up. :ph34r:

So I figured that if there isn't any available maps to load from the Magellan site, then perhaps searching for a map file (.imi extension) of Toronto roads & features that I can upload via VantagePoint (the only software compatible with this unit).

Again, no luck.

I am posting this forum topic since I was advised that if I have a GPS issue, then this forum may have the answers. I am new to the Groundspeak Forums, but am optimistic that someone can save my GPS from being a dud. :)

It's not impossible to geocache without detailed maps (I've tried before): but it is definitely more difficult since you have to do a lot of background research in advance of the area. Without detailed maps, the cacher is unaware of where the roads are and where a pond/river may start (which can be a problem). Currently, I am using a Garmin that I borrow from a fellow geocacher: after using the Garmin, I am in awe over it ... especially since it works! :D

Enough of this "Why did I purchase a Magellan" rant: if you read this far, then I appreciate it. :)

I'm still determined to save the Magellan ... I'm open to any suggestions or advice.

Thanks,

~ prastost (the fool who got tricked by the Magellan sale)

Edited by prastost

Check here http://www.magellangps.com/products/map.as...amp;PRODID=1759

Magellan claims its Topos of Canada.

I'm in Nova Scotia (originally from Toronto). Some friends here just bought the 500. I never thought to see if it had maps for Canada on it I will check on Thursday.

I will say I hate the manual input method on the unit. You have to type in the N or W at the end of the coordinates and you have to change from numerals to letters to do it.

At least it came with a usb cable. Two other friends bought Etrex Legends and they come with serial cables so useless as both people have newer laptops that don't have serial ports anymore.

Eh...move to the US!?! Sell it to an American...

Or.... Have you tried calling Magellan to expalin your problem and ask if you can do a swap of some kind. Check with the company you bought it from.

I actually considered selling it to an American, but am still hopeful that this GPS can be saved for a Canadian user ... plus, if this problem can be solved, it would help all those who I've talked to in the past that have the exact same "detailed map" issue.

The company I bought it from has a "no returns" policy on electronics, so that is already out of the option ... however, I never considered asking Magellan to do a swap: thanks for the idea :rolleyes: ... I will look into that as a last resort.

You can check www.tritonforum.com for help. There are a lot of helpful users there who might have answers to some of your questions. I also have T200 but I live in US.

I tried the forum help once I made the purchase and rather than getting some answers, I actually met a whole new set of people who are also having the same problem. I guess this is a common one. :ph34r:

If I move to the US, then this GPS is a good buy :anibad: ... but, I'm glad you are enjoying your T200 :rolleyes: ... thanks for the advice.

Check here http://www.magellangps.com/products/map.as...amp;PRODID=1759

Magellan claims its Topos of Canada.

I'm in Nova Scotia (originally from Toronto). Some friends here just bought the 500. I never thought to see if it had maps for Canada on it I will check on Thursday.

I will say I hate the manual input method on the unit. You have to type in the N or W at the end of the coordinates and you have to change from numerals to letters to do it.

At least it came with a usb cable. Two other friends bought Etrex Legends and they come with serial cables so useless as both people have newer laptops that don't have serial ports anymore.

I installed many Magellan software CDs onto my computer once I made the purchase and found out about the problem: lucky enough that my cousins were able to lend me the CDs ... unfortunately, none of them are compatible with the Magellan Triton 200, which is a shame: the only software that the Triton 200 is compatible with is VantagePoint, which requires the user to upload their own detailed map files ... I ended up uninstalling the programs since they were taking up a lot of space on my computer, but they are great programs (just not compatible with the Triton).

I agree: I also hate the manual input method :huh: ... wow, serial ports? :ph34r: ... that is quite the issue!

Thanks for the optimism though: I really hope you can help me find a detailed map of Canada ... even if not, I will settle for just a detailed map of Ontario/Toronto ... a more detailed map than empty outlines of Canadian land is better than nothing :rolleyes:

Thanks again for looking into it! :anibad:

Hi everyone,

I would appreciate some advice on my Magellan GPS handheld.

I purchased a Magellan Triton 200 North America two months ago since it was on sale: I was looking for a GPS unit for geocaching and didn't want one that was too expensive. Unfortunately, I was fooled by the sale :ph34r: ... for a shopper that usually check up on items before making a large purchase, this one must have fooled me good ... I only wished I was a smarter shopper two months ago :huh:

The problem I have with the Magellan is that it is unable to load detailed maps of Canada. If I was living in the States, then this unit does not have any issues: it really is a great unit (in terms of signal reception) but not for a Canadian GPS user. :rolleyes: Last time I checked, Canada was a part of North America ... and no where on the package did it suggest that this Magellan was not going to load any detailed maps of Canada.

Without detailed maps for the GPS unit, it technically renders the device as quite useless for me ... now it is just an extremely expensive digital compass. :D

All jokes aside, I am attempting to save this GPS handheld and tried many things:

- I've searched online the Magellan website for software that could provide detailed maps of Canada (unfortunately, none are compatible with the Magellan Triton series)

- Tried converting Garmin detailed maps into Magellan compatible formats, but not successful ... error messages pop up

- I've spoke to the customer service reps and all of them said that "it is impossible to load detailed maps of Canada on the Triton" ... so then I question why the company would sell them in Canada and label it as the North America series ... I get silence and then eventually a hang up. :anibad:

So I figured that if there isn't any available maps to load from the Magellan site, then perhaps searching for a map file (.imi extension) of Toronto roads & features that I can upload via VantagePoint (the only software compatible with this unit).

Again, no luck.

I am posting this forum topic since I was advised that if I have a GPS issue, then this forum may have the answers. I am new to the Groundspeak Forums, but am optimistic that someone can save my GPS from being a dud. :D

It's not impossible to geocache without detailed maps (I've tried before): but it is definitely more difficult since you have to do a lot of background research in advance of the area. Without detailed maps, the cacher is unaware of where the roads are and where a pond/river may start (which can be a problem). Currently, I am using a Garmin that I borrow from a fellow geocacher: after using the Garmin, I am in awe over it ... especially since it works! :D

Enough of this "Why did I purchase a Magellan" rant: if you read this far, then I appreciate it. :)

I'm still determined to save the Magellan ... I'm open to any suggestions or advice.

Thanks,

~ prastost (the fool who got tricked by the Magellan sale)

Umm.....get a Garmin and save yourself the trouble of jumping through two dozen hoops! :)

Edited by ryguyMN

You can put Mapsend Topo Canada on your unit and still use it. It is not the high res maps like the national geographic but at least you will have topo data.

Really? Mapsend Topo Canada works on the Triton 200? ... I remember trying that before, and VantagePoint was the only program that worked on this GPS handheld. Does Mapsend Topo Canada save regions in .imi files? VantagePoint only accepts .imi files for background/detailed maps ... But definitely true that National Geographic maps have excellent resolution (too bad none for Canada).

You can put Mapsend Topo Canada on your unit and still use it. It is not the high res maps like the national geographic but at least you will have topo data.

Does Mapsend Topo Canada save regions in .imi files? VantagePoint only accepts .imi files for background/detailed maps ...

Mapsend Topo actually creates maps (regions) as .rgn files. You have to shoot them through Magellan Conversion Manager to change them to .imi files before you load them in the GPS.

I have Topo Canada V 1.00 and I don't have to put any map through any converter.

I believe it is all in the devices serial Number as to what map type get created.

My Crossover needs .imi files When I supply the S/N I just drop the leading zero and I never get a chance to enter the last number because I guess it has all that it wants. I then Gen the Map and out pops an xxxx.imi file.

Something else to note: This program allows me to changethe S/n up to 3-4 times then it states I have reached the max limit for s/n usage. Just un-install and re-install it and that limit has been reset.

For the tridon you may have to use Vantage point to authorize the map but I created a sample for someone with a Triton using his s/n and he claimed it loaded fine. I am waiting to hear back how it worked in the field. It was just a very small sample as it was emailed as an attachment.

All my Mapsends work that way. tHAT'S tOPO 3D USA , Topo Canada, Direct Route europe and North America. I believe the Topo USA doesn't create imi maps.

John