Garmin Colorado 300

I have just purchased the said machine and I am amazingly impressed... built for geocaching... amazing !

Load full GPX files straight from the cache page and after a hard caching trip, plug the GPS in and upload logs straight to the web pages are just a couple of the benefits..

Built in Wherigo that does not crash.....

Drawback.... screen reverts to a dim mode everytime you switch on... so low you cant see it !

Any other people using this machine and what do you think ?

HH

I like mine despite a couple of gripes. The unit doesn't handle multis well as you have to flip between geocaching and waypoint mode. You can't manually add waypoints to a cache when out in the field for multis & puzzles, either.

There is one glaring mistake in the software that someone at Garmin should be extremely embarrassed about- the wheel works counter-intuitively when typing in a word or editing waypoint coordinates, ie you turn it left to make the screen selector move right.

Edited by Pieman

There is one glaring mistake in the software that someone at Garmin should be extremely embarrassed about- the wheel works counter-intuitively when typing in a word or editing waypoint coordinates, ie you turn it left to make the screen selector move right.

Remember to let Garmin know. I appreciate that Garmin will have a bigger development section that what we have at work. But perhaps someone has just covered up this, er, feature, and the actual project team don't know about it? Let them know and then they have no excuse but to try and fix it in some future release.

I love mine :rolleyes:

But as Pieman says it is a pain on multis and it would be great to add final coords into a cache rather than as a waypoint, so you have to keep chopping and changing when doing a multi, if you need to see the cache page.

Also not found out how to put notes on it from GSAK, which is handy for puzzles or reminders to myself. But overall very happy with it.

Drawback.... screen reverts to a dim mode everytime you switch on... so low you cant see it !

The power saving is very aggressive and reducing the backlight is one way they try to keep the batteries going. But it would be nice to have the option ("I'm going to be home in ten minutes so I can recharge the batteries then, but in the meantime I can't see the screen').

If you get the car kit (overpriced, as usual) and power the unit off the 12v socket formerly known as the cigar lighter, the display is much brighter. You can use the Colorado as a reasonable satnav even on a sunny day (and the mapping is soooo much clearer than on a 60xxx).

One annoying thing I would change is the way it doesn't give you the choice each time between off- and on-road when you want to go to a non-geocache waypoint. It's a per-profile fixed setting. So if you want to drive to caches but walk to the next multi waypoint, you have to toggle between a profile with off-road navigation and one with on-road.

Thats my biggest gripe about it. I always carry spare batteries so it would be nice to be able to switch that power saving function off. Other than that I am well chuffed with mine.

It's intuitive to use once you get used to the wheel and so far its been spot on accuracy wise even under trees. Its also pretty quick to get a lock on everytime you switch it on.

Took mine out for the first time on Saturday. Lovely 15 mile walk which would have been about 1.5 miles less if the arrow would actually point me to the actual location of the next waypoint instead of making me walk in L shapes or semi circles. Not impressed with that.

Again on Monday did one of Scottpa's Lakes series and was being pointed to the other side of the lake until I got within a third of a mile or so. I knew all along that I was on the correct side of the lake.

Hopefully out with it again tomorrow, and if it doesn't improve, it's going back. :D

I'm giving it time because I've found some threads on the internet talking about switching various things off, like the compass or the backlite etc. So I'm going to have a play with it.

Took mine out for the first time on Saturday. Lovely 15 mile walk which would have been about 1.5 miles less if the arrow would actually point me to the actual location of the next waypoint instead of making me walk in L shapes or semi circles. Not impressed with that.

Again on Monday did one of Scottpa's Lakes series and was being pointed to the other side of the lake until I got within a third of a mile or so. I knew all along that I was on the correct side of the lake.

Hopefully out with it again tomorrow, and if it doesn't improve, it's going back. :D

I'm giving it time because I've found some threads on the internet talking about switching various things off, like the compass or the backlite etc. So I'm going to have a play with it.

Did you calibrated the compass - the manual recommends that it is calibrated after changing batteries, moving large distances or experiencing temperature changes.

Hopefully out with it again tomorrow, and if it doesn't improve, it's going back. :)

Hi Scoff! :)

make sure your firmware is up to date. I was chatting with peeps at an event and people have said that updating the firmware on the device is one of the best things you can do to improve performance especially as regards to the accuracy. Any problems - give me a shout. Its not like I don't live a million miles away! :D

Did you calibrated the compass - the manual recommends that it is calibrated after changing batteries, moving large distances or experiencing temperature changes.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I calibrated at the start, then when I changed batteries a couple of hours into the walk, then again in despearation later. Gave up with it well before the end of the walk, just left it on to measure the total distance of the walk when I finished. I was so tempted to throw it at the closest big rock on more than one occasion, but I'm not that wealthy. :D

If anyone has any more suggestions please fire away, I don't particularly want the hassle of sending it back etc, so anything that may help would be great.

Hi Scoff! :)

make sure your firmware is up to date. I was chatting with peeps at an event and people have said that updating the firmware on the device is one of the best things you can do to improve performance especially as regards to the accuracy. Any problems - give me a shout. Its not like I don't live a million miles away! :)

Hi Scott

Thanks for the offer. I will drop you a line if it doesn't improve tomorrow. I have the latest software version 2.51 Beta, and the GPS software version is 2.60. When I run the Garmin webupdater, it tells me I have the latest everything.

I think I'll be sending it back :D

Hi Scott

Thanks for the offer. I will drop you a line if it doesn't improve tomorrow. I have the latest software version 2.51 Beta, and the GPS software version is 2.60. When I run the Garmin webupdater, it tells me I have the latest everything.

I think I'll be sending it back :D

You have the latest software. Maybe worth a browse in here: http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...4158&st=100 to see how others are resolving issues.

I like the 300 a lot, but right now my biggest complaint is accuracy. I've had a couple of instances over the past few days where, after about 30 minutes in woodland, the accuracy gradually deteriorates. This evening I was out with my 76CSx and Colorado 300 doing some comparisons. At one point the 76CSx said accuracy was 27ft and the Colorado said it was 138ft (and the track log bears it out). When I got to a cache the 76CSx was pretty much on the ball and the Colorado said it was 275ft away!

I really hope it's something that can be fixed in firmware, and fixed soon. Having all the geocaching features in one unit is really nice for paperless caching (even if the UI is a bit cumbersome), but poor accuracy is a real showstopper for geocaching.

Been using ours for a couple of months now. To reiterate others comments.

You need to calibrate the compass after changing batteries.

You need to hold it level (horizontal) when using the compass otherwise it won't point correctly. But you can turn off the compass and just use the GPS compass as long as you are moving.

The backlight won't come on unless you switch it on and you can select how long you want it to stay on. But I agree the normal screen (without backlight) is a bit dim in low light!

You need to hold the unit vertically to get the best signal, unlike the Etrex series which are held horizontally - this is because of where the aerial's are.

Make sure you are on the latest firmware - it has fixed a lot of problems.

There is macro for GSAK that allows you to export directly from GSAK to the Colorado - but this highlights another problem I've found... there are several hundred posts in these forums about the Colorado!! Finding answers is not easy. But there is one useful link here - http://garmincolorado.wikispaces.com/

Chris

Hi,

I have been using my 300 for a month now and found that the compass would point away from the cache at first.

Then discovered turning the compass off under Settings/Heading seemed to cure it.

Haven't calibrated the compass since the day I first got it, but have been 100's of miles away and am changing batteries faster than I don't know what, still seems to point at the caches though.

The only thing I can't get to work like my old Legend C is having the 300 beep when I get close to the cache - keep walking past and having to backtrack!

The only thing I can't get to work like my old Legend C is having the 300 beep when I get close to the cache - keep walking past and having to backtrack!

This is especially frustrating when you know that if you were navigating to a waypoint the Colorado would beep when you got near.

I've been tempted to write a GSAK macro to clone the cache GCxxxxx waypoints as "Colorado waypoints" - but they're limited to 1000 :rolleyes: and I've already got over half that with multi stages, car parking, etc.

I never even noticed this as a problem, so I've just gone to have a play with mine and discovered that it's not a problem for me, it turns exactly the way I want it too naturally! ;);):wub:

I guess some of us must intuitively want to go right and some of us left. Rather than default it the other way, it would be better to give users the option to change the setting to the direction of their choice.

Otherwise my only gripe is the backlight, but now I've got used to this I don't even really think about it.

I have one...prefer my VistaC all day long

Hi,

I have a Vista HCx and I am considering to get an Oregon. I am interested to hear why you prefer the Vista. What's your feeling regarding accuracy of coordinates? Does the Oregon do averaging if you generate a waypoint?

Many thanks in advance - I would love to hear your opinion!

Robert

I got a Colorado 300 at the end of May and was quite impressed. The power saving is a little annoying but my concerns are about the reliability of the unit.

I have had a Garmin eMap since 2002 and it has never missed a beat. When I was on holiday in Switzerland at the end of july my Colorado failed. It would not power on, just flashed up the banner screen then it died. After troubleshooting with Garmin they agreed it was dead and when I got back the exchanged it under warranty. I did not abuse the eMap in any way, although the last thing I did before it failed was to plug it into a USB car charger (Not Garmin). I would suggest people are cautious when using non-garmin cables in your cars, as I think that may have been the cause. :anicute:

This is especially frustrating when you know that if you were navigating to a waypoint the Colorado would beep when you got near.

I've been tempted to write a GSAK macro to clone the cache GCxxxxx waypoints as "Colorado waypoints" - but they're limited to 1000 :anicute: and I've already got over half that with multi stages, car parking, etc.

I didn't know it beeped when approaching a waypoint. Is there a way of requesting enhancements at Garmin maybe?

Otherwise my only gripe is the backlight, but now I've got used to this I don't even really think about it.

Have you tried with the car kit (12v to USB adapter)? The backlight is brilliant and makes the Colorado into a great Satnav system (give or take the slightly small screen and lack of voice). Which gives us hope - maybe in a future firmware release Garmin will allow the backlight to go up to 11 :anicute: if we promise that we've brought spare batteries.

I have had a number of Garmin gps devices starting with the small yellow e trex .

I however am not at all taken with the Colorado for many reasons.

I much prefer the 60csx. Good idea badly executed-so far.

A visit to the main site and check the fora there for more information.

I do feel that Garmin are using its customers as beta testers perhaps more so than on any model preceding it.

I would advise do your homework and use caution before splashing the cash.

I never even noticed this as a problem, so I've just gone to have a play with mine and discovered that it's not a problem for me, it turns exactly the way I want it too naturally! :):):)

I guess some of us must intuitively want to go right and some of us left. Rather than default it the other way, it would be better to give users the option to change the setting to the direction of their choice.

I've borrowed a Colorado on a caching expedition and I found that the wheel went the wrong way for me. It should be easy enough to change via a software update. But I have a theory as to why the wheel goes 'the wrong way'. Apple and their iPod. The iPod wheel does go 'the right way' and if Garmin's wheel also went 'the right way', would it be a trademark infringement? Maybe not - but I'm guessing (completely groundless, this is just my imagination having too much time to think of stuff) that Garmin thought about possible litigation in the courts from the lawyers at Apple and thought "Nah.... make it work the wrong way." It's got to be easier to take on the gripes of some customers rather than the legal might of Apple.

I've borrowed a Colorado on a caching expedition and I found that the wheel went the wrong way for me. It should be easy enough to change via a software update. But I have a theory as to why the wheel goes 'the wrong way'. Apple and their iPod. The iPod wheel does go 'the right way' and if Garmin's wheel also went 'the right way', would it be a trademark infringement? Maybe not - but I'm guessing (completely groundless, this is just my imagination having too much time to think of stuff) that Garmin thought about possible litigation in the courts from the lawyers at Apple and thought "Nah.... make it work the wrong way." It's got to be easier to take on the gripes of some customers rather than the legal might of Apple.

And there's me thinking I preferred it because I was left handed......... :):):)

:):):ph34r::P:)

I need help PLEASE, we down loaded abunch of caches to go find while on vac. didt get a chance to go now the are forever on my 400 cant get it to clear can someone please help

iaboy,

To delete caches from the Colorado you will have to connect it to your PC.

Hook it up and if you use Windows Explorer you should see two devices appear (possibly drives "E" and "F" depending on your PC) - "Garmin" which is the Colorado itself and below it, "Removable Disk" which is the Colorado's memory card (if you have one fitted).

Go to the "Garmin" device and there is a folder called "Garmin" and inside that is another folder called "GPX". Look in there and you'll see all the downloaded caches (displayed as the 'GC' waypoint name). Just delete the ones you don't want and job done.

Hope that helps - thought I'd post it on here for reference.

Russ