GeoPatch

Red Chilli

Hi Community

I was wondering if anybody can help with the new GeoPatch(trackable) from Groundspeak ?? The idea is its attached to a piece of clothing, rucksack or cappie by means of velcro and with its own tracking number which can be logged via gc.com. My question is how would this work ?, somebody has seen me running through the woods and noticed my patch tracking number, under what waypoint/cache/region do they enter....

I hope somebody can help.

Cool banan's :laughing:

Regards

By the sounds of it, one could discover it like any other trackable by entering the number here and posting a discovered log.

They Didn't really answer the question.

Does the person Wright down the track code or take the patch?

Do you take the patch from cache to cache & you log which cache you take it to?

I would note the number and log it as a discovered item. There is no cache associated with it. You don't log it in or out of a cache - Just post a "discover" note on the trackable page of that item.

It is the same concept as the magnetic travel bugs which people put on their vehicles. Note the TB number and log it as having been seen unless you want to charged with grand theft auto.

How does the Geopatch work?

Does the person Wright down the track code or take the patch?

Do they just take it off your back pack?

Do you take the patch from cache to cache & you log which cache you take it?

I haven't seen one before but I think you'll get some info here :

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=196476

Worm

That link seems to refer back to this same page?

That link seems to refer back to this same page?

Correct - this is topic 196476

It would appear that Geo Patches are not trackable. Based on this advert and description they are just accessories to your geocaching gear.

Full Colour Geo Patch

Retail Price: US$3.25

This colorful heat-seal patch measures 3" X 3" and can be applied using an iron, or can be sewn on to all your favorite Geocaching gear.

full%20colour%20patch%20geo2314c.jpg

However I have seen examples which have a trackable number sewn onto them too:

See HoGiPoGi's Traveling Cacher Geopatch. This appears not to be attached to anything and then is equivalent to a coin or any other trackable.

30f9075c-e91f-4580-831c-5c563d01b51f.jpg

My 2c worth...

I suppose just as you get trackable and non trackable coins, you get trackable and non trackable patches.

In the same way, some people keep their coins and only show them at events for discovery and others release them into the open, the same would apply to the patches. It therefore stands to reason that if such a patch were sewn onto a rucksack it would be inappropriate to rip it off and place it in another cache. Likewise, if a loose patch was found in a cache and its mission is to move then you would be doing it a service by moving it on.