How do you hide your geocaching addiction

A addiction to something is usually marked by the addict doing things to hide their activities from others. I know quite a few cachers that are self proclaimed addicts so I would like to know what they do to hide it from "normal people" lol Ok i'll start this one off. I work 24 hour shifts so I usually take a way home that will involve passing a cache or two. On days i'm off work and I get to go out to the woods and go looking i'll stop by the car wash on the way home and clean the mud off the truck so that when my better half gets home she is none the wiser.

A addiction to something is usually marked by the addict doing things to hide their activities from others. I know quite a few cachers that are self proclaimed addicts so I would like to know what they do to hide it from "normal people" lol Ok i'll start this one off. I work 24 hour shifts so I usually take a way home that will involve passing a cache or two. On days i'm off work and I get to go out to the woods and go looking i'll stop by the car wash on the way home and clean the mud off the truck so that when my better half gets home she is none the wiser.

Guess I look at the addiction a little differently. I usually inform a couple family members whenever I'm going caching just for safety purposes. That way someone usually knows the general location where I plan to go caching, just in case I don't arrive back when I should have. Other than that, I just try to be discreet when muggles are present :laughing:

Ok maybe i phrased this a little wrong. i'm sure there are one or two others out there who have gone off on a secret cache hunt and maybe told someone they wer going to run to the store really quick or something like that. that is the kind of thing I was looking for not meaning that people leave their famlies for months on end with no word and do a cross country trip or anything like that.

Ok maybe i phrased this a little wrong. i'm sure there are one or two others out there who have gone off on a secret cache hunt and maybe told someone they wer going to run to the store really quick or something like that. that is the kind of thing I was looking for not meaning that people leave their famlies for months on end with no word and do a cross country trip or anything like that.

I've pretty much been the boss of me since I was 18 so I don't try to hide Geocaching from anyone. Of course, I don't go out of my way to advertise to everyone what I am doing but that goes for pretty much everything I do.

Guess I look at the addiction a little differently. I usually inform a couple family members whenever I'm going caching just for safety purposes. That way someone usually knows the general location where I plan to go caching, just in case I don't arrive back when I should have. Other than that, I just try to be discreet when muggles are present :anibad:

Common, play along! He's not talking about hitting the woods on a one hour hike, or driving through the bad part of town. He's referring to grabbing one or two drive-ups - as when a kid grabs a candy bar from the pantry. You're saying to avoid cavities he should tell his mom what he did and make sure he brushes his teeth. Common! :ph34r:

---- b r e a k ------

Yep, any chance I get to do an errand; visit my parents; on the way home from a softball game; on my bike commute home; etc... My wife knows when I'm going after an FTF 'cause out of the blue I say I'm going to take our dog for a walk. For the most part, if my wife asks, I fess up, but I don't need to volunteer any information - don't ask, don't tell. :rolleyes:

Um, well, I took my dad camping, and while he was taking a nap in the tent, I snuck off to find a cache or two a quarter mile away. Of course, it took longer than I planned, and of course he was awake when I came back... he knew exactly what I'd been up to, too! He just gave me that special 'dad' look. Made me feel ten years old again, instead of three times that!

I don't even pretend to hide it...

- Write a daily blog http://headhardhat-geocache.blogspot.com/ telling of my exploits.

- Wife just assumes I am out geocaching and will one day get a phonecall stating they found my backpack a mile in the woods somewhere.

- Cache before work, lunch time, after work and the occasional Geocaching Emergency during work, oh, and I geocache in my spare time too.

But I'm not obsessed..... right?

I just tell my wife I'm having an affair, when I'm actually caching. Works every time!

I wrote a poem about this a while back:

I stop after work for a quickie

'Cause once a week isn't enough.

Sneaking out like this is tricky;

My clothing can foil my bluff.

While some get their collars lipstick-y,

I get mud on my shoes and my cuffs.

Edited by Dinoprophet

I often cache after work before I make the long drive home (80 miles). I change clothes in the parking garage - which is very dark, because I sometimes slip out early and don't want any of my colleagues to recognize me if they are driving in the area.

My husband wants me to get home as early as possible, so when I am after work caching I don't tell him beforehand. I remain cryptic when he asks what time I'll be home. I admit to what I've been doing once I get home.

I have thousands of baggies, 20 bisons, 5 blinkys, 2 ready to place decons, and about 50 log replacement sheets hidden in a small suitcase in the spare bedroom.

When I'm planning a cache run, I go into the bedroom to use the computer there, and I keep the door shut.

Even so, I'm not fooling anyone.

Um, well, I took my dad camping, and while he was taking a nap in the tent, I snuck off to find a cache or two a quarter mile away. Of course, it took longer than I planned, and of course he was awake when I came back... he knew exactly what I'd been up to, too! He just gave me that special 'dad' look. Made me feel ten years old again, instead of three times that!

Three times ten? Duh... well, that would make you thirty years old, or even older! Yet you swore to me when we met online that you were only 20 years old; I just found your exact words from the Geocacher's Nearly-Single website: "...a twenty year-old exotic coed hottie". You lied to me! How dare you! You swine! AAARRRGGHHH! I have been lied to! :ph34r::unsure:

:huh:

B)

:D:blink::blink:B):ph34r::ph34r:

Edited by Vinny & Sue Team

want to know the sad truth?

everyone close to me is so relieved to hear i'm out caching i never have to answer for it.

my mom wants to come out to my place to do the laundry and neaten up and i told her that i didn't feel up to it, that i wanted to go caching and i didn't feel right about letting her come do my chores if i couldn't be bothered to take care of them.

that's ok, dolly, she tells me. you go geocaching. i want you to be able to go out and play.

My husband and I do all of our caching together and we tell our grown children where we will be if we do a short out-of-town trip. I do admit that we were looking for an excuse not to attend my stepbrother's Christmas party/family gathering last December, but decided to go anyway because we could search for the caches near his house and make the trip worthwhile. He lives about 45 miles away, so I guess you can say we were "multi-tasking" on that trip.

Funny this thread should pop up.

A few weeks ago, my assistant suggested that we do a working lunch. But, as we started driving, she suggested we work at her place. Suffice it to say we didn't get any work done. We fell asleep in each others' arms. When we awoke, it was rather late. As I dressed, I asked her to take my shoes and rub them in the dirt in the garden and to toss a tupperware container into my briefcase.

When I got home, my wife was miffed. She demanded to know where I'd been. I decided to fess up. I told her I was having an affair with my secretary and that's why I was late.

She looked at me, called me a liar and asked if how many FTFs that mede.

Funny this thread should pop up.

A few weeks ago, my assistant suggested that we do a working lunch. But, as we started driving, she suggested we work at her place. Suffice it to say we didn't get any work done. We fell asleep in each others' arms. When we awoke, it was rather late. As I dressed, I asked her to take my shoes and rub them in the dirt in the garden and to toss a tupperware container into my briefcase.

When I got home, my wife was miffed. She demanded to know where I'd been. I decided to fess up. I told her I was having an affair with my secretary and that's why I was late.

She looked at me, called me a liar and asked if how many FTFs that mede.

Very Nice! I naturally assumed that admitting you were a geocache addict, it virtually guarantees your virginity is kept in tact. You've dispelled the myth! There's hope for me yet! :P