New Geocacher would like a hand held GPS. Suggestions?

My family and I are just beginning the adventure of geocaching. We are addicted already, and I have no doubt that we will spend most of our free time hunting for treasure. We currently have a Garmin Nuvi 660, but I am quickly realizing that in some cases a handheld GPS would be better. Can anyone recommend the cheapest, adequate handheld for caching?

Thanks so much for the help and adventure!

Stacy

Welcome to the Forums! :laughing:

I would recommend the Garmin Venture HC. However, you could check out Garmin's comparison page to see the various options available on all their new 'H' (High Sensitivity) receivers. You want to get a Garmin that connects with USB. The one with the most options is the Legend HCx and it sells online for around $185.00.

My family and I are just beginning the adventure of geocaching. We are addicted already, and I have no doubt that we will spend most of our free time hunting for treasure. We currently have a Garmin Nuvi 660, but I am quickly realizing that in some cases a handheld GPS would be better. Can anyone recommend the cheapest, adequate handheld for caching?

Thanks so much for the help and adventure!

Stacy

A handheld GPS is a very valuable tool to own for geocaching :)! ... I suggest the Garmin GPSmap series ... I am currently using the GPSmap 60CSx: works great and at an affordable price too :laughing: ... The Garmins connect well to the PC, but if you are using a Mac, then you need to download a software package online to make sure its compatible. But, whatever handheld you end up purchasing, DO NOT purchase a Magellan! ... I purchased a Magellan as my first GPS handheld since it was on sale and was very disappointed with it :) ... I wouldn't want anyone to suffer the same fate as I did with my Magellan ... anyways, Garmins are compatible with the download to GPS function on the geocaching site, which is a major plus.

I would stick wioth a Garmin since you already have a Garmin Nuvi and there's no point complcating you work with two different mfr's. You probably do not need a routing type handheld and the concurrent cost since you already have the Nuvi which is better than any handheld for road navigation.

On the other hand, getting a mapping GPS is helpful with the maps you can load for woods type caches. Many mapping units come with auto naviagtion anyway. Miragee has a good idea. COmpare on the Garmin page. One other note. Try to buy more than you want. Once you gett the cheaper model you'll kick yoiuself in the butt for not getting the better unit. You seem to have great taste and know your features since you bought the 660 -a really great unit (I have a Nuvi 350 with a Vista HCx) Both units are great. Good luck.

Edited by Alan2

If price is a big consideration - just go on the Garmin page and look at the one called basic hand helds under on the trail. all Garmins do pretty well. Read and get familar with all the features. Gps are lots of fun and the more feature you buy the more fun. Geo-Caching can be done with any trail GPS. The 72, 76 GPS's are the ones that Float if you are taking it on the water. They are bigger and easier to read in general but harder to carry in the hand. Etrex are smaller if size matters - the other are in between in size. Some GPS have the high sensitivity chip set and are suspose to be better under trees, they cost more. My GPS 72 is great mostly but loses signal under trees and in the deep hollers of WV.

I recently purchased a Garmin Vista HCx and I really like it - after some trial & error using GSAK software I can even get most of the needed info about a cache on the unit (size, terrain, difficulty and in some cases a short hint). I wanted a Colorado 300 but was dissuaded by all the issues being reported.

How much do you want to spend? If you want a decent handheld for geocachine, Colorado is the best way of course since you can see all the extra data.

Personally, I'm waiting on my dream GPS unit so I bought a new 76CSx for 226.99. I can tell you where if you want to spend that much money. I definitely recommend 76CSx over 60CSx. Don't let the 60CSx get to you, its just better for the looks. 76CSx has tide tables, it floats no matter what batteries you put in it, and I believe it uses a patch antenna if I'm not mistaken, and the buttons are on top which allows for one handed operation. I don't know about you, but I made a case for my unit with a plastic front sheet and some hard fabric, it has a strap which also secures via velcro if I don't want to the strap to hand freely(useful for when I have it in hand only). The top also velcros shut, which is nice for a case. Took me 20 minutes to make, I'm a very happy 76CSx owner. :)

btw, I'd wait on the Colorado series. It isn't just software issues but hardware bugs. To me its nothing more than what happened with Apple's first gen macbook line, hardware issues up the galore. The problems are random and happening for every user. I however do not want to play the lottery hoping I don't get a unit which will mess up on me while in operation of a vehicle or in the middle of the woods.

Edited by Insane Kangaroo