Starter GPS with worldwide base map

AF Bmet

I am just getting in to GC and am currently using the wifes Nuvi 200W to get the job done. I would like to get a unit that comes preloaded with a worlwide base map, since I will be doing alot of traveling in my current job. I will be using the unit just for GC and not navigation. Paperless would be nice but I can use my RX3715 IPAQ with gpxsonar to manage waypoints while I travel. Any suggestion? I know I could use the Colorado 300 but I would like to see what alternatives there are.

One thing to keep in mind that worldwide base map will not be very detailed. You still will have to load detailed maps. I have Magellan Triton 200 which has worldwide base map. It includes major roads (interstate highways, etc) and it is pretty much useless (the base map, not the GPSr).

Edited by maurycy

I was hoping not to have to buy all of the maps for europe and asia just to find a catch or some catches that are nearby. I thought i could put location in google maps or earth get within about .1 of a mile and use gpsr to get the rest of the way. Or am I way off. Still very newby to Geacaching

If you can get within .1 mile all you should need from there is an arrow to get you to GZ. In which case even an eTrex yellow would work.

Yep, 600+ caches for me in 3 countries and various states/provinces without a mapping GPSr. It can make the approach a little more challenging or require some advance checking in google maps/earth, but it works.

I am just getting in to GC and am currently using the wifes Nuvi 200W to get the job done. I would like to get a unit that comes preloaded with a worlwide base map, since I will be doing alot of traveling in my current job. I will be using the unit just for GC and not navigation. Paperless would be nice but I can use my RX3715 IPAQ with gpxsonar to manage waypoints while I travel. Any suggestion? I know I could use the Colorado 300 but I would like to see what alternatives there are.

Check out Garmin's "comparison page" for the new 'H' models that have the High Sensitivity receivers. You want to get a handheld GPS unit that connects to your computer with USB. I recommend the Venture HC, or Legend HCx. I have the Vista HCx and am very happy with it. Having the 'x' model so I can load it with thousand of POIs is an option I use a lot and might be something you want to consider.

These won't have a "world-wide" basemap, but you shouldn't need that.