adding chinese characters to a cache page

nollscoffen

I'd like to create a cache where the text is in chinese; however once I copy/paste it to the cache name and description the only thing I get is several "?????"

I've seen chinese characters in other cache pages (such as this one), so I know it's not a matter of missing any browser language packages or something similar.

Any help? :laughing:

The funny thing is that, while at home, I saw chinese characters on that page and while pasting the results from babelfish to the cache description - the only problem was publishing the cache page itself...

The problem with the image is that... well, no one here in Portugal would understand/translate it. :laughing:

Edited by nollscoffen

The funny thing is that, while at home, I saw chinese characters on that page and while pasting the results from babelfish to the cache description - the only problem was publishing the cache page itself...

The problem with the image is that... well, no one here in Portugal would understand/translate it. :laughing:

There is no other solution. To display Chinese characters requires a software installation on most Windows machines. Most people won't have that.

The characters display properly on my Mac and on Linux. Both which have most Chinese fonts installed already.

As for the some characters returning squares, this happens when a different encoding is used. Japanese for example, there are 3 major encodings which I see very frequently, however one must specify they are the ending in the page else it will not work properly.

A tedious workaround, but still a workaround, is to use your local computer to type out the Chinese characters, screenshot them, save it as an image (.jpg), and post the image on the website. I did this with Russian characters, and it works fine. If you screenshot the characters in OO or Word or whatnot (using a white background), and you carefully add the images to your cache page, it looks just like text.

MrW.

[edit: eye tip gud]

Edited by Mr. & Mrs. Wisearse