Colorado rant

It’s been well over two months since Garmin issued beta software to address the most egregious faults of its half-baked Colorado model. Increasingly it looks as if the Colorado is “THE PRODUCT THAT GARMIN FORGOT”. Unfortunately, consumers are finding it difficult to forget that they misguidedly forked out a sizeable chunk of money for this ill-conceived unit. To my mind, after this debacle Garmin is no longer worthy of consumers’ and shareholders’ support. I’m now putting my money on the new GPS iPhone running third-party caching software and housed in a tough waterproof OtterBox. Goodbye Garmin!

I have had my colorado for a month and not have experienced any problems. Sure there are some features I would like to see added but in regards to some of the major issues such as the gps location being way off or jumping off course, which I consider a HUGE issues, I have not experienced with my unit.

Yeh I agree 2 months have been a while without any firmware updates but I am sure they are on their way. As of supporting Apple, I would not jump on the bandwagon yet until you know what hardware apple is actually using in their new iphone for GPS. They do list it as A-GPS which could mean it requires a data connection or not. No one knows at this point till the launch in my case requiring a data connection would not be an efficient unit for my geography and without a data connection there would be no way to get topo data unless you pre-downloaded the area before you went out.

I have to admit that despite any shortcomings of the Colorado, it is true what they say... love is blind. I'll be taking my Vista HCx when I go bush but I'll be dragging my Colorado everywhere else for fun. I still can't get over that display and the way it render the maps. The Colorado is as beautiful and had less problems after introduction than Apple's Macbook Pro, remember the thermal paste fiasco.

To my mind, after this debacle Garmin is no longer worthy of consumers’ and shareholders’ support.

One of many products (fine reliable products) that Garmin sells and your basically calling for a boycott? If you live on the leading edge of technology you better get used to some hiccups!

I’m now putting my money on the new GPS iPhone running third-party caching software and housed in a tough waterproof OtterBox. Goodbye Garmin!

Yeah good luck with the iPhone... How much you want for your Garmin?

Unfortunately, consumers are finding it difficult to forget that they misguidedly forked out a sizeable chunk of money for this ill-conceived unit.

Well, let's see . . . I'm a consumer and I haven't forgotten the amount of money required. Why would I want to forget about that "sizeable chunk of money"? I think it helps me appreciate it (not to mention to be grateful for my blessings!) and take better care of it since I'd hate to have to replace it. Misguided? Since I'm happy with my Colorado, it would seem not. Ill-conceived? Doubtful. I've never had any reason to be unhappy that I'm a Garmin 'consumer'.

I’m now putting my money on the new GPS iPhone running third-party caching software and housed in a tough waterproof OtterBox.

Surely you jest! That seems as ill-conceived to me as you think the Colorado is to you. I think it's a matter of perspective. Your OtterBoxed iPhone GPS would probably work about as well for me as the Colorado seems to work for you. I actually could be interested in the iPhone as a geocaching alternative for those times when I didn't have my trusty Colorado with me, except for the likelihood that it's unlike to be water-resistant without that pesky OtterBox. I wonder how it will be in the woods out of cell-phone range?

I'll echo everybody elses' question: Got a Colorado for sale?

Well, I have had my Colorado for a couple of months now and agree it is time for a new firmware update. However, my Colorado is head and shoulders over my using a pocket pc + software to geocache. And the good news is I just saved a bunch of money on my car insurance. :laughing:

Lets see -- to load 3rd party software on an iPhone you need to jailbreak it. Not to mention you may brick the phone, which is definitely a no-warranty deal. I was thinking the latest firmware and the 2nd generation was going to at least temporarily defeat this work-around anyway. And from what I have read, the GPS enabled phones have a pretty short battery life with the GPSr and screen on full-time.

My Colorado is still a bit buggy, but for caching its been great. Gave it a workout in Shreveport this weekend, and other than a few locational errors due to being amongst downtown buildings on a cloudy day, it took is to each and every cache within 10 feet. Walked about 8 miles in 6 hours and still had plenty of battery left.

I know I'm late to the game, but put me on the list of folks who will buy your 'defective' unit.

... I’m now putting my money on the new GPS iPhone running third-party caching software and housed in a tough waterproof OtterBox. Goodbye Garmin!

I think you will find the iPhone a PITA to get geocaching support. You need open access to getting programs on the phone to make it handy for caching. The volunteers who write the caching programs for the love it it (as that's about all they get out of the deal) won't find it easy to get those programs on the iPhone. The iPhone's a tightly controlled ecosystem. Not open. Geocaching applications will come with instructions. "First jailbreak the phone...".

As for the Colorado. Wasn't worth the bother of an upgrade. My V is older and slower, uglier, and all around better for the job of caching and driving than the Colorado.

As for the Colorado. Wasn't worth the bother of an upgrade. My V is older and slower, uglier, and all around better for the job of caching and driving than the Colorado.

You either have a really bad Colorado or non-standard V. My Colorado is way better for geocaching and driving than my V. Way better.

Lets see -- to load 3rd party software on an iPhone you need to jailbreak it. Not to mention you may brick the phone, which is definitely a no-warranty deal.

Actually, that's no longer true. With the release of the iPhone SDK and the App Store, a third party could probably develop geocaching software (assuming that the GPS functionality is available to 3rd party apps, and is sensitive enough for caching). The catch is, a developer would have to pay a $99 fee to have their program listed in the App Store (even if the program is free).

You either have a really bad Colorado or non-standard V. My Colorado is way better for geocaching and driving than my V. Way better.

V's the same. Colorado was missing screens and the data input was horrible. To many steps to do simple tasks. Form factor for driving is worse. Firmware could have fixed a few of those. The lack of controls would get in the way of others.

Lets see -- to load 3rd party software on an iPhone you need to jailbreak it. Not to mention you may brick the phone, which is definitely a no-warranty deal.

Actually, that's no longer true. With the release of the iPhone SDK and the App Store, a third party could probably develop geocaching software (assuming that the GPS functionality is available to 3rd party apps, and is sensitive enough for caching). The catch is, a developer would have to pay a $99 fee to have their program listed in the App Store (even if the program is free).

There are two paths with the iPhone. Get your application listed on the Apple store by jumping through apples hoops. Or jailbreak. Palm, Pocket PC both let people write applications directly. That's much more friendly for hobbiests.

It’s been well over two months since Garmin issued beta software to address the most egregious faults of its half-baked Colorado model. Increasingly it looks as if the Colorado is “THE PRODUCT THAT GARMIN FORGOT”. Unfortunately, consumers are finding it difficult to forget that they misguidedly forked out a sizeable chunk of money for this ill-conceived unit. To my mind, after this debacle Garmin is no longer worthy of consumers’ and shareholders’ support. I’m now putting my money on the new GPS iPhone running third-party caching software and housed in a tough waterproof OtterBox. Goodbye Garmin!

As far as Colorado firmware goes, the current version is very functional and stable. Sure there are tweaks here and there that can be done, but at this stage it's more advanced than some of the latest competitor's products out there *cough* Triton *cough* that experience lockups and inaccurate readings in data fields. With Garmin's superb product support history, they will only improve on the Colorado. It's not time to give up on it yet! Be proud you have one!

Edited by ryguyMN

My Colorado works just fine for me. Two months is NOT a long time for firmware updates. It may be for Garmin, but if you look at similar consumer electronics you'll see that Garmin is way ahead of the curve on issuing updates for their units and software.

Magellan issued firmware updates after two YEARS for the eXplorist line, then wrote it off as a 'legacy product'.

iPhone geocaching support is going to be problematic for at least 6 months, as first the application developers have to get the SDK, then actually write something. Also note the Apple SDK specifically BANS creating routing or navigation software so that is going to drive some of the developers away to easier targets.