Geocaching's Heart

tands

We were asked if we could organize a geocaching activity for a one week Summer Camp that's run by the local Childrens' Hospital for Pediatric Cancer Patients. We said OK and got some help from local cachers Skillet and miki&jon.

The Geocaching sessions were proof that kids love chaos! The campers had a ball despite the incredible SC heat. Skillet and miki&jon helped a hundred kids forget about everything but 'seekin the treasure.'

At the closing campfire ceremony Friday night many of the campers came up to S and me to make sure we wanted to come back next year to take them geocaching.

Geocaching again becomes something more than a 'GPS Scavenger Hunt.' It is a magical and healing thing.

- T of TandS (&W!)

:) That sounds wonderful. I've worked with kids and cachin' before and it's amazing how they become so absorbed by it. I would love to work with kids like that though.

Thank you for what you did.

On a similar note, later this summer I will begin working with kids ages 9 to 13 as part of the DEFY program. It's a program where adults mentor children and help them with problems of any kind but the main focus is drug abuse prevention. One of the activities that the director wants to use is geocaching. :laughing::)

We were asked if we could organize a geocaching activity for a one week Summer Camp that's run by the local Childrens' Hospital for Pediatric Cancer Patients. We said OK and got some help from local cachers Skillet and miki&jon.

The Geocaching sessions were proof that kids love chaos! The campers had a ball despite the incredible SC heat. Skillet and miki&jon helped a hundred kids forget about everything but 'seekin the treasure.'

At the closing campfire ceremony Friday night many of the campers came up to S and me to make sure we wanted to come back next year to take them geocaching.

Geocaching again becomes something more than a 'GPS Scavenger Hunt.' It is a magical and healing thing.

- T of TandS (&W!)

I must say that is a very cool thing you did. I find it very commendable when people do what they can to make less fortunate kids smile.

tands-that's a great story, thanks for sharing and congrats for putting a smile on those kids faces.

A fantastic group of NC geocachers has organized a 'non-event' with the NC Jaycee Burn Center at Chapel Hill for the past two years to educate and entertain the kids who are receiving treatment there. This cache was placed to commemorate that good deed.

They have received similar warm fuzzies from the kids and families as tands and their geopals for this activity, I'm sure there will be another one this year. I just can't get out and play much in December; kinda busy with catering work.

Edited by wimseyguy

The folks who really deserve the praise are Skillet and miki&jon. S and I help out every year with the canoing and kayaking so we're already out there and acclimated to the heat. We absolutely couldn't have pulled off the geocaching without Skillet and miki&jon, both of whom cheerfully and patiently led caching groups while sweltering in the blazing heat and tolerating the craziness.

We also do this as a 'non event' to offer the chance to use geocaching as something more than the sometimes competetive (for me, not S!) game it can become and to be sure that all who help are there for the joy of brightening the lives of children.

- T of TandS

Edited by tands