The Journey Geocoin

scavok

I'm not crazy about the font used for the text, but that will be remedied. Maybe just nix the words and just make it an art only design? Hmm. What do you think otherwise? I would have it minted with the multi level technique like my tengwar coin was and turned out well.

Anyway, give me some suggestions :blink:

Journey.jpg

Edited by Flying Spaghetti Monster

Didn't I just see something like this not too long ago? :blink:

Well sort of. It was a different design (not as good), but the same quote :blink:

I really like the organic feel in coin designs and combined it with some of the not so organic figures I did in chemistry and physics in school for this one.

Other idea

Edited by scavok

I'm going to be completely honest.....

The design you posted is real nice and I'm sure it will turn out beautiful much like your first Tengwar coin. Now on that note; I would like to see you stretch your creative abilities and come up with a completely different back side minimum. While scroll work is nice, this is still much like your last coin with the exception that the scrollwork is changed (kinda thing). Like I said, I'm sure it will turn out beautiful and sell well but I would like to see what else you can do. It's too easy to get burnt out on the same type of designs. Mix it up a bit :blink: Ok, there is my couple of geopennies.

Edited by tsunrisebey

I like your design!!!

Of course a crazy idea came to my mind!... I do not know if this can be done, but how about, puting a big star in the middle, with expanded rays that will point in the space between the small circles, but the rays must stop before them!

The star would be a see through, and the design with the lines comming from the small circles will be above the star, like thay are trying to hug it, or hide it!

In the old days, many travellers were finding their way with the help of stars!

I know that itis probably a silly idea! :blink:

Here it is with the rings swapped

Journey2.jpg

Maybe have the small oval circles have a stained glass effect and if you decide to put something in the middle have that be stained glass effect also? Maybe the LE version could have different colors of stained glass effect around it? Just my 2 pennies worth :rolleyes:

Maybe have the small oval circles have a stained glass effect and if you decide to put something in the middle have that be stained glass effect also? Maybe the LE version could have different colors of stained glass effect around it? Just my 2 pennies worth :(

Very nice indeed :D I drew up a different back for the coin but then thought more about the stained glass idea and I liked it the more I thought about it :D. I'm quite certain more changes will come, but as is :(...

Journey_mock_proof_small.jpg

FYI There is a background pattern on it (3rd level) , it doesn't show to well in the small image though.

I didn't know if I cared for the 'stained glass' idea, but looking at the new art, I think it works very well. Is the dot in the centre and the wedges at the edge by each oval going to be translucent as well? Or matching enamel?

I felt the same way. When it was first mentioned I though it sort of gaudy but now that I picture it finished in my mind, it will be quite nice :P

I believe they will all be cut-out translucent as long as the mint can cut them out that small and accurate enough to line up with the opposite face.

We'll see :D

It looks too much like the Tengwar coin just released.

Really? There was a Tengwar coin just released?? :P J/K

It's not my desire to really make a series per say, but E&C is right in saying they are meant to be similar. When it comes time to compare the two in hand I believe they will be distinctly different.

So I sent my ideas to the mint and we decided to go with the same design on both sides so that the colored areas could be cut out and given the stained glass effect. This also means that the coin will be larger, a full 2 inches in diameter :laughing:

I kept the font with some typography changes to make it clearer too.

Samples are under way, I'll update with more info as it comes :wub:

Here's the mint art [CLICK]

Edited by scavok

geez Rog, you're just BRILLIANT with these coin designs!!! I'm not going to offer any "changes" or suggestions because frankly I think you've got it under control and I absolutely love your work!!

Seriously, I am SO dadgum (edit: the forum changed something I wrote here to "dadgum", so no, I'm not Jed Clampett!) excited for this Journey coin and your Celtic Tree of Life coins!!!

Sack of cash.........for.....Scavok.....must.....get.....delivered coins....must....have....Journey coins....... must.....have.....SE versions......must..............have........sack of cash for Scavok ready to go.......getting..........heavier.....soooo heavy.....

:laughing:

Brother, you are the MAN!! I can't WAIT to give you some REAL currency for your upcoming Geocoin currency!!

Genius, brilliant, so talented!! Keep up the great work my friend.

And, for the rest of you...

I'M ALREADY CAMPING OUTSIDE HIS FRONT DOOR WAITING FOR THESE SO YOU CAN ALL JUST GO HOME NOW THERE'S NOTHING MORE TO SEE HERE!! :D

AHAHAH!!! :ph34r:

Peace all!

K

p.s. wonder if I type "God dadgum", if it'll change it to "God Dadgum"....hmmm... AHAHAH! Yep, it was "d-a-m-n" that triggered the swap. Odd, don't really think that's a "cuss" per se, but it's all good. A bit of forum fun this morning :)

Edited by HarmFamily

I didn't know if I cared for the 'stained glass' idea, but looking at the new art, I think it works very well. Is the dot in the centre and the wedges at the edge by each oval going to be translucent as well? Or matching enamel?

I felt the same way. When it was first mentioned I though it sort of gaudy but now that I picture it finished in my mind, it will be quite nice :D

I believe they will all be cut-out translucent as long as the mint can cut them out that small and accurate enough to line up with the opposite face.

We'll see :laughing:

I am probably late with this idea BUT, on the edge, since you want them to cut it out could be left unfilled. (Then it would almost be a shaped coin :ph34r: )

NIIIICE!! :D

Are the edges of those inserts bevelled? Or am I just seeing the inner edge of the cutout there?

These are C&P photos, I'm yet to have any in hand. But they do appear to be beveled a little bit. The outer parts beyind the enameled areas is not cut out, but is filled with enamel.

They turned out very nice :laughing:.

There are more photos of other finishes including antique copper, nickle and gold on my website.

Click Here

Edited by scavok

C&P will be putting the ant silver and ant bronze (the two imaged above) up for presale in their next run.

Once that is all done, I will mint some LE and personal ones (including the antique copper pictured on my website) and sell them from my website.

Glad you like them :D

maybe I'm missing something here, or my coin taste buds are changing, but honestly I don't much care for these... sorry to be blunt and offer an honest opinion, but it just doesn't have enough detail to stand out... seems to be missing the 'wow factor' for me... maybe that will change if I see one in person(some coins do change my opinion when I see them first hand) :D

No worries, there are many "great" coins out there that seem fine, but just aren't my taste. They were half the reason I started designing in the first place. My coins just happen to be my taste and I hope at least some other cachers enjoy them as well :D

Maybe I'll win you over yet. The TOL has a bit more image detail as opposed to radial pattern like this one. Check that out and let me know what you think (:

No worries, there are many "great" coins out there that seem fine, but just aren't my taste. They were half the reason I started designing in the first place. My coins just happen to be my taste and I hope at least some other cachers enjoy them as well :rolleyes:

Maybe I'll win you over yet. The TOL has a bit more image detail as opposed to radial pattern like this one. Check that out and let me know what you think (:

Don't get me wrong, I like your designs, the 'Celtic Tree of Life' is awesome and I will be getting one of those, but for some reason this one just didn't do it... I see many do like it and as I said, maybe when I see one in person I may change my mind!

I've received a few emails, but didn't want to bother everyone with the newsletter so I thought I'd mention it here for those that are curious. I had expected them to be presold this time around too, but according to C&P the presale for these will be in December (probably around the 15th) for the antiqe bronze and silver.

If they do well enough, I will do very few of the shiny ones as the AE's (for me to hoard), the copper/green and a suprise finish as LE's.

Can't wait :D