2 block markers within 20 feet - not sure what they are

offtheclock

If the look of the area makes property corners seem unlikely or odd, there are ways of checking further. Some local governments (cities, towns, counties) are equipped with websites that include pages for the tax assessor or similar entity. Often you can find real estate maps at such sites, if you have a street address to start with. Sometimes just looking at the property lines near your object of interest will be enough. In the absence of online resources, tax offices have paper maps available for inspection.

Professional surveyors spend quite a lot of time in court clerks' offices, looking at deeds of land transfer, but it is unlikely that you would need to do that in this case.

Cheers,

I can't really help you out, but the mark you found looks similar to what TeamFawlty found in our area of Illinois. I have also seen the same marker that he found, and others are in the general area.

31bc64bd-3080-4c2c-8aae-6352e57be339.jpg

Pic is from TeamFawlty's waymark

I'm not sure if there's a connection, but the area of the mark that T-Fawlty found is near an area used to be the highly-secretive Argonne Laboratory, as they had done work on the Manhattan Project (also see Geocaching site "Manhattan Project"). Maybe this was some type of survey marker for the lab grounds, maybe it is just an old county marker.

The area now belongs to Cook County (IL) Forest Preserve, but remnants of the lab exist as well as memorial-type plaques engraved on granite boulders denoting the area's hidden history.

ed51cbb3-bada-46b2-92e2-c046eb725f38.jpg