Is this really my first one?

offtheclock

Please tell me this is one??

It is marked WV257 (US Army Survey Disk)

or EL 568.85, looks like a boundary marker??

If real, how should I record on geocaching.com. It wasn't on the site, do I need to find it's number (different from the WV and EL numbers?).

img_0910.jpg

Edited by offtheclock

WV257 (or WV 257) returns nothing in the NGS datasheet search, Station Name category (we assume from your location that the state is Massachusetts). NGS does not record all Army Corps of Engineers disks. The EL number is the elevation of the point where it is set, in feet we would guess, but not knowing exactly where the disk is, and being unwilling to take time out and locate the highest point in Massachusetts, that is only a guess. If you have the latitude and longitude of the mark, you can enter them in the Radial Search window of the NGS datasheet search page, with an appropriate radius length, and see what turns up. The url is http://www.ngs.noaa.gov/cgi-bin/datasheet.prl.

Cheers,

I am new to benchmarks, so here is what I did:

I converted my GPS location from

N42 06.810 W72 04.156

To

42.113500 -72.069267

Then to

N420648 W0720409

Entered it into the search and got

MZ3915 as the closest coord (.4 miles away), so that's not it.

Is this a new one that needs to be logged somewhere?

Welcome to Benchmark Hunting!

The mark is one of those gazillions that is not in the NGS database. You could possibly log it on Waymarking.com.

Then for more fun, go to this page to insert your zip code into the box at the upper right of the Benchmark Hunting Home Page. This will bring up a list of the marks that you will be able to find close by and then log on GC.com and get a special icon (not a smiley, its a benchmark disk) for your find.

Good hunting.

Shirley~

David,

I to have found a bunch of Army Corp of Engineers survey markers with no results on Geocaching. I didn't want to start a whole new post after reading yours, but wanted to say that I'm in the same boat as you. I work on Ft. Leavenworth and none of the survey disks that I've found are locatable on GC, or atleast the ones I've found so far. Let me know if you have any luck with future ACoE markers. Thanks!

I would imagine that Ft. Leavenworth falls in the area of the US Army Corps of Engineers, Kansas City District. You can try contacting Michael Daro -- Michael.D.Daro@nwk02.usace.army.mil or Larry Bolton -- Larry.L.Bolton.Jr@nwk02.usace.army.mil for information about USACE control marks in this area.

I would imagine that Ft. Leavenworth falls in the area of the US Army Corps of Engineers, Kansas City District. You can try contacting Michael Daro -- Michael.D.Daro@nwk02.usace.army.mil or Larry Bolton -- Larry.L.Bolton.Jr@nwk02.usace.army.mil for information about USACE control marks in this area.

Thank you sir.