Crossing the border to Canada

In July, I will be attending a wedding in Michigan and make time for caching in Michigan and across the river in Canada. I do have a passport but my daughter wants to make the trip too. I have browsed some the US Gov't sites about border crossing and a passport is recommended. My daughter does not have a passport but does have a state ID and we have a birth certifcate as proof of US citizenship.

What are some of the experiences of cachers crossing the border to cache or other business?

Have border agents (Canadian or US) questioned cachers about GPSr's, laptops, PDA's and etc. ?

Until some time in 2009 you are fine with a birth certificate. Some friends and I just went across in May for a week of hiking on the Bruce trail...and of course we hit a few caches (May 16-22, 2008). If you have ever had a DUI forget crossing. The Canadians will turn you back. They do occassional checks of vehicles and we got stopped on our way into Canada. They let us go after answering a handfull of questions. We answered a few more questions on the way back thru but they let us back into the USA pretty quickly.

Let me add that I was the only one with a passport. And one person didn't even have a certified birth certificate. ANd when we were crossing into Canada and were stopped there were 4 people also being questioned...3 of which had nothing but driver's licenses...and they let 2 of them thru (one had a DUI on record and they turned him and his buddy back). But I don't know how much grief those 2 had to face when trying to return to the USA.

Edited by victorymike

You are probably aware already that Canadian border security is not quite as stringent as US.

Be sure that you have no firearms or explosive devices. :ph34r: That may seem like common sense, but Canadian laws forbid any handgun, anytime, and there are no open hunting seasons.

Electronics and computers fall under the free trade agreement, so they don't even check unless you have a trunk full of new laptops or something just as ridiculous.

I have crossed at Sarnia/Port Huron, Detroit/Windsor, and Niagara Falls at least 200 times in the last 30 years and only had one problem at Port Huron last summer. That was my mistake for telling US Border Patrol that I was meeting an on-line friend. Big NO-NO!

Edited by Team Magic

they just cheerfully wave me in to canada. it's harder getting back in.

and how long were you in canada?

about twenty minutes.

and the purpose of your visit?

ever heard of geocaching?

a couple of hours.

i was over on wellesley island and decided to come back by way of the north shore.

about twenty minutes.

where in canada were you?

i don't know, somewhere near phillipsburg.

beats me. just driving around. (it is 2 am)

my favorite was the time i was on a bus (i have this friend who likes to rent busses for day trips to montreal) and it was just before my gallbladder was going to come out in an emergency surgery and i was PLENTY sick and begged and begged for the customs agent to let me off the bus to use the bathroom before he was done checking everybody. "i don't care", i said. "sent an agent in with me. do a cavity search. but please, please, PLEASE let me off this bus before i explode out of both ends."

oh. and be VERY polite to the border guard. if you get one of their finest idiots-who-will-push-you-around-because-they-can, they WILL tear your upholstery out and it's your problem. even *i* don't mess with the most officious of the border guards.

i live close enough that i carry canadian $ in my wallet. i know from repeated exposure that border guards come in two flavors: "welcome home and have a nice day", and "i can have your car ripped apart if i feel like it".

the first kind will appreciate it if you're direct and polite, and the second kind will demand it.

We went last year. Harder to get back into the states then go to Canada.

Only thing was explaining why we were crossing at some some dirt road crossing - required an explanation of Geocaching and the hide located about 1 km across the border. He laughed about it - said now he had heard everything.

I went in from Windsor crossing. I had mace spray with me which I carry in my back pack. She was kind enough to let me in with it, but do not expect it. They could confiscate it and charge you a hefty disposal fee or turn you back. Best to leave it at home if you carry it.

If your daughter isn't at least 18 then you should be aware that you will need aditional documentation if her birth mother won't be going with you to Canada. A notorized letter of permission from her mother will be required. You can Google samples of what you need if applicable..

Deane

AKA: DeRock & the Psychic Cacher - Grattan MI

This is an excellent point! I live within 5 miles of Canada, and cross frequently. I often take TWU Jr. (who is 8) to motor racing in Canada. They almost always ask if the boy's Mother knows he's with me, and entering Canada. Actually, that's not correct, they say "Mum". Do not be alarmed, this is a Canadian thing. :laughing:

Seriously though, they've never pulled me over and called my wife or anything, but they do ask almost every time. I go with a birth certificate, and his school picture ID for the boy. If I'm not mistaken, the passport rule will never apply to under 18 years old. The fact that you're not a "local" like me crossing the border, I think you'd better go with the letter too, as suggested.

So, you going to the Detroit area, or Port Huron area?

P.S., I never ever say I'm geocaching. Who wants to explain that? I usually say I'm going hiking on the Bruce Trail.

Edited by TheWhiteUrkel

I love this geocaching thing. Browse a forum and find the answer to a question totally unrelated to the hobby.

So, if my folks take our son (8) across into Niagra Falls, they'll need a certified birth certificate and a notarized letter from Mum and Dad? I think we can handle that. Thanks to everyone!!1thumbsup8de.gif

Back not long after 9-11 - October of that year I think, my daughter was a student a University of Toledo. She was born in India, and we adopted her when she was less than a year old. Not surprisingly she ran with a totally international crowd, living in a dorm filled with other Indians, Chinese students, kids from the Middle East, you name it. Raised with a typical American laxity towards ID, travel and so forth she and a carful of internationals decided to drive up to Windsor's China Town to get "the best bubble tea on the planet". (a good hour and a half drive for tea). They passed into Canada without a single question. Coming back, now THERE was a different situation. All of this rainbow bunch was carrying their passports, IDs, the whole deal. They all got back in fine. Well, all except daughter mine. And her Chinese boyfriend, who we now learned was uh, undocumented. Koilady and I get a phone call while we were camping that weekend. "Mom and Dad, I'm stuck in Canada and can't come home. Please get my citizenship papers from the house and bring them to Windsor so I can get back. And I think they're going to deport Tony. Wahh!" She hadn't even the forsite to have her driver's license with her, not even her student ID. We got her back OK after bringing her her papers, but not the poor boyfriend who wound up on a flight to Hong Kong courtesy of the Canadian government. Oh well.

I love this geocaching thing. Browse a forum and find the answer to a question totally unrelated to the hobby.

So, if my folks take our son (8) across into Niagra Falls, they'll need a certified birth certificate and a notarized letter from Mum and Dad? I think we can handle that. Thanks to everyone!!1thumbsup8de.gif

I have taken several minor girls who are not mine to Canada for Cheerleading competitions, entering at Ft. Erie, Niagara Falls, and Queenston Ontario. A letter from their parent's is required, but I surely have never had a notorized letter. If you have the time though, I'd say go for it.

Edited by TheWhiteUrkel

As Flask pointed out, it's easier to get in than to get out. As also pointed out, if you've ever had a DUI in the states, don't enter. You will be arrested if they find out. It's unlawful to cross into Canada if you are a felon. In Canada a DUI is a felon.

El Diablo

Is that any kind of felon, or just a DUI felon? Can they just look that stuff up?

As Flask pointed out, it's easier to get in than to get out. As also pointed out, if you've ever had a DUI in the states, don't enter. You will be arrested if they find out. It's unlawful to cross into Canada if you are a felon. In Canada a DUI is a felon.

El Diablo

Is that any kind of felon, or just a DUI felon? Can they just look that stuff up?

I'm sure the Canadian police can do a background check by calling their US counterparts quite easily. And I assume it means any felony as defined by Canadian law. So maybe that felony for distributing canabis won't get you in trouble up there... :rolleyes:

They seemed to know everything but what my middle initial stands for. Or maybe I just have a very common name, and they wanted to know which Harry Dolphin I am?

Anyway, my brother, myself, and a friend went to Maine to help my sister on the Maine DeLorme Challenge. We did 100 caches, and 22 pages in five days! Which brought us to Calais, Maine (pronounced Callus). Three of us had never cached in Canada, so we brought our passports, and allowed a lot of time to cross over to St. Stephen. Crossing guard looked over our passports. "Why are you going to Canada?" "Geocaching" exclaims my sister. "Nearest one is about .1 in that direction. Go inside, we need to run you through the computer." Might have been because we were from three different states. Might have been because my sister said "Geocaching". Might have been because my brother's passport showed visits to China, Slovenia, Thailand, and other bizarre places. Might have been because my friend was born in Cuba. Don't know the reason, but it took us a half hour inside, with the car being searched.

Return trip: same story. Drug sniffing dog bounced against my sister's car a few times. "Go inside." That took forty five minutes, and they had obviously searched the car. My GPS ended up in the front seat. Poor Finley Dolphin was manhandled. An hour and fifteen minutes to cross over into Canada, and back. Two hours geocaching for seven finds in St. Stephen.

Fortunately, we made the stop at the motel in Calais first, and dropped off most of the luggage, including the box of wine, and the extra cigarettes.

I, for one, am not impressed with homeland security! Oh, well. I guess it was worth it for the finds in New Brunswick.

A year ago or so, I was at Niagra Falls and went back and forth across the border several times one day...which I guess triggered a flag. The 3 Canadian Border Agents made me pull over so they could search my car.

My wife and I had US Passports and they took them.

They were friendly and actually did very little searching. They looked in the trunk and my Geocaching bag in the back seat...that had a GPS, Camera, Flashlight, Cache printouts...etc.

They didn't make a mess and put everything back where it was. They gave us back our Passports. We talked for about 10 min after that...they were curious of how much houses cost in Plano, Texas compared to where they lived in Canada.

We were told to have fun...and we left.

Edited by Drooling_Mongoloid

Be sure that you have no firearms or explosive devices. :rolleyes: That may seem like common sense, but Canadian laws forbid any handgun, anytime, and there are no open hunting seasons.

I've got a very good friend (and fellow geocacher) who competes in shooting events and he had no problem carrying a handgun into Canada He said the Canadian border guards didn't even make him open the case. I wouldn't suggest just showing up at the border with a firearm, but it is possible to cross into Canada with one. BTW... he placed very well in the Canadian Nationals! :anibad:

DCC

Be sure that you have no firearms or explosive devices. :rolleyes: That may seem like common sense, but Canadian laws forbid any handgun, anytime, and there are no open hunting seasons.

I've got a very good friend (and fellow geocacher) who competes in shooting events and he had no problem carrying a handgun into Canada He said the Canadian border guards didn't even make him open the case. I wouldn't suggest just showing up at the border with a firearm, but it is possible to cross into Canada with one. BTW... he placed very well in the Canadian Nationals! :anibad:

DCC

I stand corrected, and I should have remembered that little thing about competition. So, I will restate! Handguns are permitted for range shooting, but the proper permits should be in order and readily available. Silly me, but I haven't been involved competitively for many years. kick.gif

El Diablo

I'm sure the Canadian police can do a background check by calling their US counterparts quite easily. And I assume it means any felony as defined by Canadian law. So maybe that felony for distributing canabis won't get you in trouble up there... :rolleyes:

Ooooh don't even kid like that--Not me, I'm sweet and innocent (I passed my police check to get my teaching license) and intend to keep it that way!. I was just curious how they would know what someone had done 30 years ago, whether they check just everyone, or if yo0u only need to fret if you act rude and they decide to run your records through the wringer.

El Diablo

Ooooh don't even kid like that--Not me, I'm sweet and innocent (I passed my police check to get my teaching license) and intend to keep it that way!. I was just curious how they would know what someone had done 30 years ago, whether they check just everyone, or if yo0u only need to fret if you act rude and they decide to run your records through the wringer.

as i said before, the border guards come in two flavors. if you get the kind that likes to push people around because they can, it's tough sledding and watch yourself. they'll search you for any reason, or none at all.

hope you get the happy kind.

El Diablo

as i said before, the border guards come in two flavors. if you get the kind that likes to push people around because they can, it's tough sledding and watch yourself. they'll search you for any reason, or none at all.

hope you get the happy kind.

Oh, I'm not even going into Canada this trip out. I was really just amazed by what I was reading. Of course. I have nothing to fear, anyway, being a law abiding upstanding citizen. Really (I'm not kidding or being sarcastic about that---I'm so square it's not funny. I won't even drive a car the same day I drink a beer and I only drink about once or twice a year any more).

Grew up where The White Urkel grew up. In Buffalo, the "exptic dancers" can be topless, but not totally nude. In Canada, they just have to have "something" on (leg warmers or scarf is ok) so we went there. We called it the "Canadian Ballet" We would have car full of guys to going to Canada and Canadian customs would ask where we were going. We would give the bar's name or just say "The Ballet". They'd wave us right in!

Another time. I'm headed to Toronto for a scientific conference. I tell them so and I spent several minutes answering questions.

Was up to another scientific conference in Toronto on yeast (back in 1984). On the way back, our car has 2 native born Americans, a Pakistani naturalized citizen and a Chilian and Indian with green cards. US Customs looks at the papers and asks what we were in Canada for. We told him a conference on yeast. He gives us a look and asks if we are bringing back any beer (you can bring back a case per adult). We said no. He said "Why not?- next time do so! :rolleyes: " and waved us through.

Edited by Wacka

Oh, I'm not even going into Canada this trip out. I was really just amazed by what I was reading. Of course. I have nothing to fear, anyway, being a law abiding upstanding citizen. Really (I'm not kidding or being sarcastic about that---I'm so square it's not funny. I won't even drive a car the same day I drink a beer and I only drink about once or twice a year any more).

be advised: your squareness may not protect you from unpleasantness at the border.

we got one once who rolled his eyes and told us the guy in the other lane was searching everyone today.

everyone has something to fear, and don't you forget it. a healthy does of intimidated cowering will help you a lot if you get the wrong agent. they like that.

additionally, things have been rougher since that one guy with TB came across at rouses point, the closest NY crossing near us. you'd better bet everyone got chewed out for it, and now everyone (agents and residents alike) have to pay for it.

here's my tip for people crossing into vermont from quebec: if you are crossing at a peak time you can expect to wait two or three hours at the crossing. when you are about five miles above the crossing, look for a place that sells poutine. five dollars will buy you a plate as big as your head. turn up the stereo. eat the poutine. you will not care so much about the wait.

when you are about five miles above the crossing, look for a place that sells poutine. five dollars will buy you a plate as big as your head. turn up the stereo. eat the poutine. you will not care so much about the wait.

Had to look up poutine. Sorry, it doesn't sound very appetizing!

be advised: your squareness may not protect you from unpleasantness at the border.

we got one once who rolled his eyes and told us the guy in the other lane was searching everyone today.

everyone has something to fear, and don't you forget it. a healthy does of intimidated cowering will help you a lot if you get the wrong agent. they like that.

additionally, things have been rougher since that one guy with TB came across at rouses point, the closest NY crossing near us. you'd better bet everyone got chewed out for it, and now everyone (agents and residents alike) have to pay for it.

here's my tip for people crossing into vermont from quebec: if you are crossing at a peak time you can expect to wait two or three hours at the crossing. when you are about five miles above the crossing, look for a place that sells poutine. five dollars will buy you a plate as big as your head. turn up the stereo. eat the poutine. you will not care so much about the wait.

Man, I love poutine. It's the first thing I get when I visit Montreal every summer.

As for my dealings with border crossing, it can also depend on when you cross. We've always found that if you pick the peak times it can be slower and more apt to be pulled aside. If you go off hours -- morning/later at night -- it's quicker and usually pretty easy.

In 10-11 trips north of the border, we've only been pulled aside once. That was because of a lack of documentation, if I remember right. Took us about an hour and change to get through with the warning to remember everything next time up.

when you are about five miles above the crossing, look for a place that sells poutine. five dollars will buy you a plate as big as your head. turn up the stereo. eat the poutine. you will not care so much about the wait.

I had to Google that too. It sure doesn't look very appetizing to me either. But then again I've been known to enjoy some other foods that don't look so good. I've got to say I will give it a try the next time the oportunity presents itself.

Deane

poutine123.jpg

From Wikipedia:

A dish consisting of French fries topped with fresh cheese curds, covered with brown BBQ chicken gravy and sometimes other additional ingredients. [1] The freshness of the curds is important as it makes them soft in the warm fries, without completely melting. It is a quintessential Canadian comfort food, especially but not exclusively among Québécois.

Poutine is a fast food staple in Canada; it is sold by many fast food chains (such as New York Fries and Harvey's) in the provinces, in small diners and pubs, as well as by roadside "poutine trucks" and "fries stands," commonly known as "casse-croûtes" in Quebec. International chains like McDonald's,[2] A&W,[3] KFC and Burger King[4] also sell mass-produced poutine across Canada, especially in Quebec.

Be sure that you have no firearms or explosive devices. That may seem like common sense, but Canadian laws forbid any handgun, anytime, and there are no open hunting seasons.

I'm the "friend" whom Driver Carries Cache knows who got a handgun into Canada legally..

I actually had more trouble trying to leave the states (Blaine truck crossing) than I did getting into Canada. I went to US customs to check it out of the country (like people do with expensive photography equipment and the like) and they almost siezed my ammunition due to them not knowing exactly the law on foreign competitions and exporting ammo. Thankfully they let me go. Had they seized it, well, it was for the specific gun I had, custom made, and I couldn't just buy anything off the shelf.. When I returned the same guy who checked me out of the US, checked me in.. he was happy that I did so well :( When I went to Canadian Customs, I showed him the form from US customs, he took down the certificate #, my permit #, had me pay $50, and I was on my way.

I actually called Canadian Firearms control about 6 months in advance to make sure I had all my permits to have it in the vehice with me between the time when I arrived in country and to and from my sis in law's house to the range and then back to the border. Long guns are a bit easier to get into the country as there are parts of the Alaska-Canadian Highway that they reccomend you have some sort of protection from the critters out there.. Dad was able to bring his shotgun into the country for a waterfowl hunt in Alberta some years back, they make you pay a fee ($50) and have you fill out paperwork. There are open seasons certain times of the year (waterfowl and big game hunting, usually in the fall or early winter months).

I made sure to do some caching while there and oddly enough there was a cache on the road in to the range in Port Coquitlam.. it is still my farthest north cache find.

El Diablo

Unless something has changed recently that's not exactly true. A DUI falls under a criminal inadmissabilty clause. After five years from the offense one can petition the ministry (and pay a fee) and after 10 years someone with a DUI is deemed rehabilitated.

I had to Google that too. It sure doesn't look very appetizing to me either. But then again I've been known to enjoy some other foods that don't look so good. I've got to say I will give it a try the next time the oportunity presents itself.

Deane

From Wikipedia:

A dish consisting of French fries topped with fresh cheese curds, covered with brown BBQ chicken gravy and sometimes other additional ingredients. [1] The freshness of the curds is important as it makes them soft in the warm fries, without completely melting. It is a quintessential Canadian comfort food, especially but not exclusively among Québécois.

Poutine is a fast food staple in Canada; it is sold by many fast food chains (such as New York Fries and Harvey's) in the provinces, in small diners and pubs, as well as by roadside "poutine trucks" and "fries stands," commonly known as "casse-croûtes" in Quebec. International chains like McDonald's,[2] A&W,[3] KFC and Burger King[4] also sell mass-produced poutine across Canada, especially in Quebec.

don't et the word "curd" in "cheese curd" frighten you. it's just nice, soft cheese. fries with cheese and gravy. if everything's fresh and hot the fries are crispy on the edges and the cheese is melty and you KNOW how good gravy is over that.

I dunno about poutine, but anything with cheese curds can't be all bad. I enjoyed a few dishes mades with cheese curds when we went to Wisconsin a couple of Spring Breaks ago.

Yes, we went to WI for Spring Break--we were going to Chicago anyway to visit the in-laws and we thought a Kringle would be nice...so we drove to Racine for Kringles and a few caches.

don't let the word "curd" in "cheese curd" frighten you. it's just nice, soft cheese. fries with cheese and gravy. if everything's fresh and hot the fries are crispy on the edges and the cheese is melty and you KNOW how good gravy is over that.

Flask - I have to confess that I had mis-construed your forum title up to now. I was going in a much different direction! :(

Deane

I dunno about poutine, but anything with cheese curds can't be all bad. I enjoyed a few dishes mades with cheese curds when we went to Wisconsin a couple of Spring Breaks ago.

Yes, we went to WI for Spring Break--we were going to Chicago anyway to visit the in-laws and we thought a Kringle would be nice...so we drove to Racine for Kringles and a few caches.

I draw the line at the cheese curds. Fries and Gravy, now that's awesome!

We used to live in Canada (Prince Albert, SK) in the early 90's and still visit the inlaws up there frequently. We usually cross at Sweetgrass MT. People in Sweetgrass are BORED and will do anything to stir up some exitement. I think a lot of it depends on where you need to cross and like someone else mentioned, the mood of the customs agent. We have learned on both sides, when asked a question, answer with "yes" or "no" answers only, if you can manage it. Overall we have had a lot more hassles coming back into the US. For some reason if I am driving, we always get called in and they do a car search, so Mr.Lost doesn't let me drive across the border anymore :) Mr. Lost is a Canadian citizen with a US Green Card (he's had it for 15 years!). Everytime we come back, we have to give a half hour explaination of the Green Card and why he lives in Nevada (people that live a few states away from Nevada, don't think that people actually live there??) He's had a hard time not answering with a smartass remarks such as "I'm a stripper" or "I'm a prostitute" :( . As far as felonies go. Big Brother knows all!, if they run a check on you, they will find out. On the DUI front. My brother in law who lives in Canada got one about 5 years ago. I think after 3 years he went to court for an appeal and had to pay some sort of fee. I'm not sure what all is involved but he can now cross the border again. If you have a passport, it is advisable to take it. It seems to speed things up.

Edited by LostinReno

don't let the word "curd" in "cheese curd" frighten you. it's just nice, soft cheese. fries with cheese and gravy. if everything's fresh and hot the fries are crispy on the edges and the cheese is melty and you KNOW how good gravy is over that.

Flask - I have to confess that I had mis-construed your forum title up to now. I was going in a much different direction! :(

Deane

it originally referred to briansnat's refusal to eat eggplant, which i love. it retains currency, however, in that it is fairly descriptive of the prevalent attitude towards food that crashco and i share.

Ive done the opposite (canada ->US) a few times, but that is probably the better route, since the problem always seems to be getting INTO the states, not getting out.

I leave my wife and daughter in Canada while I go, because they have no passports, and that (from my understanding) is now mandatory to get into the states. I still get a hefty round of questioning while entering the states, along with the complimentary insulting of my lifestyle (going hiking in your parks!)

On the way back into Canada it goes something like:

"G'day, Canadian?"

"Ya eh!"

"Bringing stuff back?"

"nah, but man im parched.. the beer there.. man.. Sure wish i drove though, the gas is so cheap in the states!"

"No kiddin, eh! Cheers!"

[:(]

Oh and don't forget the quebec pizza - a pop-tart and ketchup!

Edited by Juicepig

Oh and don't forget the quebec pizza - a pop-tart and ketchup!

I think I may be sorry I revisited this thread... :D

Um, I guess ketchup is based on fruit after all, so if you used a fruit filled flavor poptart would that make it a fruit pizza?

Thanks for the feedback. I have sent off an application for my 13-yr. old daughter to get a passport. I did the the Google search and found a permission letter and saved it. I will be flying in to Detroit from Nashville, thus will have to leave my handgun at home. Michigan does honor the Tennessee Conceal & Carry permit but I know that Canada does not. I am a member of the National Rifle Association and read about guns laws in other countries.

No gun, no mace, no felon. I guess on the way back to the US, I should have my military ID out too. Would think about bringing back duty free Canadian alcohol, but that could create a problem at the airport. Won't bring back any Cuban cigars either.

Only problem I had was in 1989, while in the US Navy stationed in Roosevelt Roads, Puerto Rico, my girlfriend and I flew from San Juan to St. Thomas Virgin Island. I was stopped on the return flight, questioned, searched and questioned. I guess I was suspicious since I was arriving with a Puerto Rican girl and myself being a 'gringo'. They searched my wallet and saw my military ID and the apolgies came and I was allowed to go about my business.

With that, I look forward to the caching trip in Michigan and Canada. Thanks for all the replies.

<snip>I guess on the way back to the US, I should have my military ID out too.

<snip>They searched my wallet and saw my military ID and the apolgies came and I was allowed to go about my business.

With that, I look forward to the caching trip in Michigan and Canada. Thanks for all the replies.

You just revealed the secret password to safe border crossing. :P Back when I was carrying military ID, we used to cross to Fort Drum in New York, and the Marines from Fort Drum used to come visit us for alternate drinking weekends. Never had a problem, either way.