Job and Cache...

As a gardener, I'm able to bag caches whilst on duty when they appear in my park , ;) however, they are few and far between. :) So, occasionally I resort to slipping out further a field! :)

What's the perfect job to have that enable one to bag as many caches during the course of duty?

Who else is getting paid to go caching whether knowingly by their boss or not?! :)

And, what is your most daring cache find behind your boss's back! :ph34r:

I go Mystery Shopping for a magazine. It's taken me all over the UK and even to Dublin. Other writing jobs have taken me all over Europe. Again, I tend to find the chance to cache as well as interview/photograph/review. Next week I'm off to Newquay for a job- which isn't all that far from Penzance, which isn't all that far from the Scillies...

I don't know what he does, but i think Beds Clangers has got it.

Im a roving engineer working on Electric vehicle charging systems.. As such my working area is from Newcastle to Grimsby Nottingham and Manchester.. Lunchtime is between 8am and 5pm (Floating) so I could be any where at any time..

I may have a free hour to do a great multi.. Or may drive by a easy grab as I am too busy as the time takes me..

Sometimes I finish work next to a cache hotspot so go for a walk before I head home....

Not a bad job (but plenty of stress)

Maybe thats why my GSAK file has 8280 caches active and listed :ph34r:

I go Mystery Shopping for a magazine. It's taken me all over the UK and even to Dublin. Other writing jobs have taken me all over Europe. Again, I tend to find the chance to cache as well as interview/photograph/review. Next week I'm off to Newquay for a job- which isn't all that far from Penzance, which isn't all that far from the Scillies...

So, now I know the reason for the rather random route we'll be taking on the way back from Penzance next week. An interesting job!

I make road and street atlases of the UK and so you may think that I've got a good job for it. However, sadly not. I rarely get out of the office! Never mind.

Working for a large construction company with sites all over the country, I do get around a bit. With overnight stays being common, I therefore get out during the evening. At the moment we are undertaking a massive schools programme for Sheffield so have two nights over every week there. Rather than staying at some Travel Lodge in the city centre, I head for the Peaks and have had good fun out there.

All my colleagues and indeed directors know that I do this and do enquire how I have got on.

It is also one of the principles of 'the way we work' is to have fun whilst at work, and I ensure that I uphold that principle.

Any job where you're the boss, and you can leave the employees to 'get on with it' without you watching over them!

And they appreciate you not watching them!

Thats me !

(Whoops edited to say this should have been posted by Harrogate Hunters !)

Its getting confusing having two forum titles ! :blink:

Edited by UK Mega Event Committee

I took up Geocaching to make walking more interesting. Due to injury I needed to walk as part of my physiotherapy / rehabilitation Geo caching gave me a goal to achieve whilst walking, in London I found this especially helpful.

My job take me all over I intend to get as many caches on my travels. I'm off to Afghanistan next spring and laughed when I seen there's a few over there and will enjoy finding and helping to maintain them during my stay. Also I'm leaving London in July for Hampshire so a whole new patch discover.

TheWhoUK

I don't know what he does, but i think Beds Clangers has got it.

I work in the mobile phone industry, so spend most of my time moving from one mobile phone site to another.

Many of my jobs are delayed by weather, cannot work up a mast when it's too windy or wet, or waiting for stores to be delivered, may have to wait for many hours!!! :blink:

I also have access keys to all the mobile sites in the UK so can usually open gates and drive to many "off road" caches :blink:

So YEP, it's a hard life but I do get payed to go caching!!! :blink:

Next week I'm in York, Runcorn, Liverpool and two days in Rotherham so rather than sit in a Premier Inn "room" should be able to get out and bag a few!!!! :wub::o

Cheers

Nick :o

Childminding is perfect for caching :blink:

I drop off my kids at school, pick up littleun and I've got till school pick up to do as I wish.

I can't travel to far away as obviously I have to be bck by mid afternoon but it is the ultimate payed to go caching :blink: . Well it was the ittle is now at pre-school and needs picking up at lunchtime most days therefore I half a day and very few caches within 25 miles :blink:

A job like mine :blink: I get to travel all over the North West with odd forages into Scotland (Glasgow and Edinburgh so far this year) the Midlands, North East, Wales and the Isle Of Man. My work is flexible to a degree so I can get in late or leave early so can grab caches on the way out or back. Plus from time to time I stay away, my colleagues think I am mad, it often happens that we arrange to go for dinner at a specific time and its not uncommon for me to appear in the hotel reception to check in 10 mins before dinner covered in mud :blink: .

Until recently I drove trucks and they were GPS tracked and my boss would often ask why I did some odd detours on my daily trips :blink:

After a while he would ask how many caches I had done that day :blink:

Unfortunately it was not that often I could. :blink:

Take plenty of Imodium guys, believe me you'll need it. :blink:

I don't know if your military or not, but either way, good luck.

I know exactly what you mean having been out there last year as well :wub:

Watch out for those ammo-can caches! :blink:
The ones inside the wire are pretty safe but 'box kicking' geocachers outside the wire don't tend to be around for long :blink:

Not my job - I'm buried away inside computer rooms with air-conditioning, Vmware and power issues. But... working for a council I see plenty of jobs that could help you get geocaching along the way such as

Rights of Way officer ("check out all the footpaths, no barriers, Oh bonus! There's a geocache!")

National Park Ranger (another way of checking out footpaths and mountain tops)

Trading Standards - Animal Welfare. These guys check the legal obligations of farmers and the welfare of livestock. Plenty of opportunities to get those rural caches.

Countryside Service - you'll be limited to the areas where the Countryside Service manages or promotes but that would include some great areas around where we are.

Pollution officers - These guys do many other things too but one thing I know they have to do is to check private water supplies. Not all places are on mains. The people not on mains, as you'd expect, are in fairly rural places. Oooo - there's another geocache! :laughing:

I've found, and continue to keep an eye on, three caches in / around Wandlebury Country Park near Cambridge, where I work as a weekend Assistant Ranger - it's useful to let people know when the sheep arrive and in which field the cattle and sheep are at times. I've also found a few caches while out visiting people / schools / centres for medical research, although the logistics of getting an appropraite print out, having the GPS available and time / weather (can't get too muddy!) have somewhat limited my opportunities. I've also found a couple of caches while off duty as support driver or marshal (unpaid) for adventure races.

My job allows me to get to some interesting places to cache - Afghanistan coming up next year :anibad:

if you get to move my TB that is stuck out there, then i am sure i can find a bottle vino as a prize. :rolleyes:
I'll keep an eye open for it if it is still there when I deploy next year (hopefully its been rescued by then).

I've got one out there as well but I hope it stays there >> TB28JWD

Ian

Pizza/fast food delivery is a good way of snapping up all the local caches, and you can grab newly placed ones as soon as they appear. Sadly I now work in a health food warehouse but I do occasionally get to save waterproof screwtop containers from the dustbin, these get given away at local cache events :)

I work in the training department of a large telecoms/VoIP company and go all over the UK and the World. So opportunities come up quite frequently. It's a pity geocaching wasn't around longer because in nearly 40 years I've been travelling I've been to some 35 countries! And best of all someone has paid me to do it!!

I write this from a hotel room in Dusseldorf doing a course with 6 Greek and 2 American engineers for a new cruise ship (Royal Caribbean Lines)..... I'm trying to persaude them they'll need a refresher course on board when the ship is commissioned later this year. My luck will see me on board when it does trials in the Baltic in November... rather than going across to its home port of Miami and then having to fly back... oh well!!

Mrs B sometimes comes with me (Dublin about 3 weeks ago for example - customer even paid for the hotel!)

Chris

Merchant Seaman 8 weeks on 8 weeks of works quite well...

dude! that is class. always wanted to go to sea, like as my job. Closest I ever been to that was volunteering on the Prince William tall ship. Really quite envious.

No - don't do it..... I spent 8 years deep sea on product carriers and then with P&O Containers after I graduated - started off well, but by the time I left we were in and out of port in 8 hours or less. Did a year as Chief Engineer "coastal/european" too, and that was even worse.

Until recently I was an Engineer surveyor with Devon County Council, so got to drive all over the county doing caches on the way....... now in a proper job though :(

[

[

Until recently I was an Engineer surveyor with Devon County Council, so got to drive all over the county doing caches on the way....... now in a proper job though :(

Hard luck Tim (you should have stayed with NPS)

That's the one and only perk I've got left at Devon County Council now, supporting all our IT sites all over the county.

Edited by Snells Pace

Until recently I was an Engineer surveyor with Devon County Council, so got to drive all over the county doing caches on the way....... now in a proper job though :)

Hard luck Tim (you should have stayed with NPS)

That's the one and only perk I've got left at Devon County Council now, supporting all our IT sites all over the county.

NPS schmenpee-ess ...... I'd rather shove wasps where a micro won't fit... :) LOL

It's harder work - but life's so much better in the private sector....... :D:(

Edited by keehotee

Merchant Seaman 8 weeks on 8 weeks of works quite well...

dude! that is class. always wanted to go to sea, like as my job. Closest I ever been to that was volunteering on the Prince William tall ship. Really quite envious.

No - don't do it..... I spent 8 years deep sea on product carriers and then with P&O Containers after I graduated - started off well, but by the time I left we were in and out of port in 8 hours or less. Did a year as Chief Engineer "coastal/european" too, and that was even worse.

I did one trip deep sea and Ive stuck to my Anchor Handlers and Supply Boats since then. We often get more time port, but go up and down more when it gets rough working 6 hours on 6 hours off.

Having played on the old Sir Winston Churchill and Malcolm Miller it was fun, when you work at sea like all ways to earn money it definatly becomes a job. Its just the time off thats great!

Edited by GerritS